View Full Version : Compare/Contrast: Appy, Current Era v. Youngstown, Way Back When

Cap'n Cat
May 27th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Appy skies over those old YSU squads, IMHO.

Discuss.

xwhistlex

Cobblestone
May 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
From what I've seen of App. State I don't think too many FCS (I-AA) programs from today or yesteryear could hang with them.

ASUMountaineer
May 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
That's why it's an impossible argument. Look at the Celtics who won all those championships in a row. Some of the best teams ever, but against teams today they would probably get killed, they would be small, slower, and not nearly as athletic. I think it's unfair to compare, no one played the spread back then, and size was more important than speed (athleticism).

uofmman1122
May 27th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Three in a row is better than six trips in a decade, and four wins, including two in a row? I dunno about that...xcoffeexxreadx

Not to bring up the other thread, but I'd rank them

1. GSU
2. YSU
3. ASU

Just my two cents, though.

YSU was the team of the 90's, save for a little break between 95 and 96. =P

blueballs
May 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I would put GSU's 1986 and 1989 teams up against any of ASU's last three teams and any of the great YSU teams too. This is not meant in any way to disrespect our rival but to point out just how good those two squads were.

AZGrizFan
May 27th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'd stack 95 & 96 Montana teams up against ASU's current crop...also, Marshall's 95 & 96 squads. xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
May 27th, 2008, 03:32 PM
:D

MountainMan
May 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Three in a row is better than six trips in a decade, and four wins, including two in a row? I dunno about that...xcoffeexxreadx

Not to bring up the other thread, but I'd rank them

1. GSU
2. YSU
3. ASU

Just my two cents, though.

YSU was the team of the 90's, save for a little break between 95 and 96. =P

Maybe not, but 3 in a row including 6 trips in only 8 seasons and another semi final are better. Most likely we will be in the playoffs again this year so that would give us 7 trips in 9 year and possibly 4 in a row. If that happens I doubt anyone could argue which is the most impressive since its already a toss up.

GreatAppSt
May 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Appy skies over those old YSU squads, IMHO.

Discuss.

xwhistlex

xcoffeex

GaSouthern
May 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I'd pit GSU's 15-0 team against ANYONE! :D

skinny_uncle
May 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/cat-shock.jpg

phillyAPP
May 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I'd stack 95 & 96 Montana teams up against ASU's current crop...also, Marshall's 95 & 96 squads. xthumbsupx

The way I see it todays APP team is much much better than the 95 App team that was undefeated and eventually lost. Sooooooo unless Montana and Marshall's teams were much better I see current APP team better.

App today is deeper and more skilled all around. They also have that LUCK that happens to Better teams. I'll put the current LUCK against any of them.xsmiley_wix

We all know what I mean. "LUCK" happens when .........meets........

89Hen
May 27th, 2008, 04:27 PM
One the things that makes this difficult for fans is the coverage of I-AA, or lack there of in the past. 15 years ago, we didn't have message boards, streaming of games, very little coverage on a national level... most of us never really got a chance to see YSU very much.

AZGrizFan
May 27th, 2008, 04:43 PM
One the things that makes this difficult for fans is the coverage of I-AA, or lack there of in the past. 15 years ago, we didn't have message boards, streaming of games, very little coverage on a national level... most of us never really got a chance to see YSU very much.

You'll just have to take us Griz fans' word: '96's Griz team would have kicked ASU into next week. xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx

eaglewraith
May 27th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'd put any of GSU's championship teams against the current App squad...as well as the 98, 01, 02, and 04 teams that fell short.

ASUMountaineer
May 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I'd put any of GSU's championship teams against the current App squad...as well as the 98, 01, 02, and 04 teams that fell short.

I'd put any of our championship teams up, what does that mean? I'd put our 2004 team up, doesn't guarantee it's a win or they're better. It's still an impossible question. The teams in the 90s probably had large D lineman who could briskly run a 6.9 40 and you think they could stop KRich and Armanti? Fact of the matter is the players are different, the game is different, and the play calling is different. No way to know. I tell you what, I'll put up the 1937 Mountaineers who went undefeated and unscored on (206-0). How many think they could beat any team playing today?

eaglewraith
May 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I'd put any of our championship teams up, what does that mean? I'd put our 2004 team up, doesn't guarantee it's a win or they're better. It's still an impossible question. The teams in the 90s probably had large D lineman who could briskly run a 6.9 40 and you think they could stop KRich and Armanti? Fact of the matter is the players are different, the game is different, and the play calling is different. No way to know. I tell you what, I'll put up the 1937 Mountaineers who went undefeated and unscored on (206-0). How many think they could beat any team playing today?

Cap'n brought up the comparison to YSU's squads, conveniently leaving out GSU. After his comments in the other thread about GSU winning all of our championships at home (where the hell he ever got that I won't know), I wanted to inject something else to counter his oversight (or bias, whichever one is more appropriate.

ASUMountaineer
May 27th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Cap'n brought up the comparison to YSU's squads, conveniently leaving out GSU. After his comments in the other thread about GSU winning all of our championships at home (where the hell he ever got that I won't know), I wanted to inject something else to counter his oversight (or bias, whichever one is more appropriate.

It's the Cap'n. xsmiley_wix

Mountaineer
May 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM
It's the Cap'n. xsmiley_wix

Seriously. He just tosses out the line and reels 'em in left and right. xlolx Amazingly enough, gobs of people still fall all over themselves to be the first to the hook. xwhistlex ;)

ASUMountaineer
May 27th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Seriously. He just tosses out the line and reels 'em in left and right. xlolx Amazingly enough, gobs of people still fall all over themselves to be the first to the hook. xwhistlex ;)

It's too much fun...hilarious.

JohnStOnge
May 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
From what I've seen of App. State I don't think too many FCS (I-AA) programs from today or yesteryear could hang with them.

I don't think that's true at all. I mean today. They've had I-AA/FCS programs hang with them during all three of their championship years. Furman beat them during the regular season in 2005 and probably would've beaten them again in the playoffs if Ingle Martin didn't slip and fall down when he was about to walk untouched into the end zone and almost certainly put that year's semifinal on ice. 2006 was App's most dominant team but Georgia Southern was able to "play" with them in losing 27-20. This year's App team lost twice to FCS opponents during the regular season and caught some huge breaks against JMU in getting out of the first round. JMU rushed for 312 yards and had over 40 minutes time of possession. No doubt at all that they were able to "play" with the Mountaineers.

Mountaineer
May 27th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Football's amazing, isn't it? :)

eaglewraith
May 28th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Eh...he didn't get under my skin with it. If he did I'd be in here screaming about how App sucks and we're the greatest blah blah.

Cap'n might not wanna antagonize GSU folks too much though...we won't let him hang out with the Georgia hotties next time he's down here. If anyone has seen his pics from the visits to Statesboro you'd know what I mean. xsmiley_wix

Cap'n Cat
May 28th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Eh...he didn't get under my skin with it. If he did I'd be in here screaming about how App sucks and we're the greatest blah blah.

Cap'n might not wanna antagonize GSU folks too much though...we won't let him hang out with the Georgia hotties next time he's down here. If anyone has seen his pics from the visits to Statesboro you'd know what I mean. xsmiley_wix

Reelin' 'em in left and right.

Actually was trying to elicit an auctioneer data dump from some hypersensitive PenHead.

SoCon48
May 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I would put GSU's 1986 and 1989 teams up against any of ASU's last three teams and any of the great YSU teams too. This is not meant in any way to disrespect our rival but to point out just how good those two squads were.

Hard to measure since neither of those years teams had to obtain get their stats while competing in the SoCon. Too, the '89 team had the luxury of playing the entire play-off series at home including the championship game itself.

Notice that prior to having to compete in the SoCon, GSU was racking up a National Championship almost every other year. Now it's like once a decade.

SoCon48
May 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I don't think that's true at all. I mean today. They've had I-AA/FCS programs hang with them during all three of their championship years. Furman beat them during the regular season in 2005 and probably would've beaten them again in the playoffs if Ingle Martin didn't slip and fall down when he was about to walk untouched into the end zone and almost certainly put that year's semifinal on ice. 2006 was App's most dominant team but Georgia Southern was able to "play" with them in losing 27-20. This year's App team lost twice to FCS opponents during the regular season and caught some huge breaks against JMU in getting out of the first round. JMU rushed for 312 yards and had over 40 minutes time of possession. No doubt at all that they were able to "play" with the Mountaineers.

Geez. The field was the same for both teams that day. Just some players know not to make such cuts on an icy field. Same could have been said for App and some of it's gifts to Furman that day.

But of course your point about teams able to play with them is valid. The SoCon has proven to be as tough of a test as the play-off competition and the level of teams in the play-offs is quite evenly matched.

blueballs
May 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Hard to measure since neither of those years teams had to obtain get their stats while competing in the SoCon. Too, the '89 team had the luxury of playing the entire play-off series at home including the championship game itself.

Notice that prior to having to compete in the SoCon, GSU was racking up a National Championship almost every other year. Now it's like once a decade.

I don't see the correlation in the reasoning given...

...the one factor that is absent now that was present in the 1980's is Erk Russell, and that's the real reason why those teams were so great, because he had a boatload of all americans and was a master motivator.

Ditto for Paul Johnson from 1997-2001, who in his five years at the helm won the Southern Conference every year and took his team to the playoffs every year, 3 NC games, two titles and another semi-final appearance.

If anything the common thread in GSU's championships is strong coaching and recruiting, not whether they were in a conference or not.

SoCon48
May 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I don't see the correlation in the reasoning given...

...the one factor that is absent now that was present in the 1980's is Erk Russell, and that's the real reason why those teams were so great, because he had a boatload of all americans and was a master motivator.

Ditto for Paul Johnson from 1997-2001, who in his five years at the helm won the Southern Conference every year and took his team to the playoffs every year, 3 NC games, two titles and another semi-final appearance.

If anything the common thread in GSU's championships is strong coaching and recruiting, not whether they were in a conference or not.

Point being that the SoCon takes it toll physically and in number of losses which affects seeding which definitely affects the road to the championship.