PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll noticed!

buckp
May 27th, 2008, 08:27 AM
A newpaper article about AGS Poll in our local paper - Lake Charles American Press. Good job guys! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

by Gary Laney

A little bliss in an otherwise depressing time

McNeese Sports

Any Given Saturday is a Web Site that basically is a hang out for fans of football in the championship subdivision of Division I (what we used to call I-AA).

What it amounts to is a message board where Colonial Athletic Association fans trash talk Southern Conference fans and where they both talk down to fans of leagues like the Southland Conference and where leagues like the SLC defend their honor.

Hey, as long as the CAA and the SC are splitting up all the national titles, I guess they’ve earned the right.

Considering what the Site is — a bunch of football fans who are dying a slow death until the next season comes along — it’s pure genius what they did Monday.

They initiated the conversation about the 2008 season. On Memorial Day.

The Site did it by publicizing the first FCS preseason poll of the season. McNeese is ranked No. 8, one spot behind Montana, the team that beat the Cowboys in the 2006 playoffs, and one spot ahead of Eastern Washington, which beat the Pokes in last season’s playoffs.

The top spot went to, you guessed it, Appalachian State, which got 76 of the 82 first-place votes. The Mountaineers were followed by James Madison, Richmond, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, UMass, Montana, McNeese, EWU and Wofford in the top 10.

Aside from McNeese, the Southland Conference was completely neglected by the voters, who gave votes to Sam Houston State, Central Arkansas and Nicholls State, but not enough to get any of them ranked.

What’s great about this poll is that it’s your poll, assuming you are an FCS football fan. This one is voted on by fans, specifically the message board members who frequent the Site.

Before you scoff at this notion, consider this: Who is more qualified to vote on an FCS poll, some sports writer who wishes he was covering the BCS instead of the FCS and who thinks Stephen F. Austin is an astronaut, or a person who is a big enough fan of this level of football to devote a considerable chunk (maybe too much of a chuck) of his time chatting about it with “Grizzaholic,” “Texas Terror,” “citdog,” “Cap’n Cat” and “3rd Coast Tiger?”

So forget the Sports Network poll (of which I’ve been a voter for quite a few years) and definitely ignore some of the other polls out there.

This is the one with the experts.

The very fact that their preseason poll came out before June shows how shrewd these people are as football fans.

We are in what, to the hard core football fan, is a depressing time. The period from mid-May through mid-July is to a football fan what the dead of winter is to an Alaskan. There’s no sunshine and all the symptoms of depression kick in.

In the fall, the fan is in hog heaven. In the winter, his focus is squarely on the lads his team is recruiting to win that national championship in five years. In the spring, he’s busy seeing how the redshirt freshman quarterback looks in the spring game. But now things are dead. So fill that void. Give them a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Do a poll. Never mind we don’t even know if Ryan Perrilloux will actually make it to Jacksonville, Ala., or if Armanti Edwards won’t be declared ineligible because he’s done too much already. Let the conversation begin. “UMass, Montana and Wofford too high. Ga Southern, Villanova and SDSU too low,” said Tribe4SF.

“We already have a top 20 matchup for the first week, with Richmond visiting Elon. We will start to straighten this thing out very early. Should be fun to watch. I think the poll looks pretty good,” said Millwoch.

“I am surprised that Cal Poly did not make a bigger jump,” said SloStang.

“McNeese at 8th? Are you serious?,” asked patssle. “They had a joke of a schedule vs. a 3-8 Portland, 3-9 ULL from the Sun Belch, 0-11 Southern Utah, D2 South Dakota, then the weak SLC.”

And with that, there was something to talk about, something to brighten up the dog days of summer until August rolls around again and the talk turns to “Does LSU have a chance to contain Armanti Edwards ?”

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2008, 08:32 AM
A little love for SHSU from the McNeese Beat man...of course, patssle may feel the wrath of Poke fans...while the TT just gets a tip of the cap with luminaries like Cap N'Cat, citdog, Grizzaholic and if you need him, the sinister 3rd Coast Tiger... ;)

OL FU
May 27th, 2008, 08:32 AM
xthumbsupx Nice pubxnodx

patssle
May 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Good stuff!

Though he left out the important ending to my post...about how they got plastered in the playoffs when facing real competition.

Millwoch
May 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Great pub...I was even quoted.

AppAlum2003
May 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM
At first I thought, "Why didn't they quote citdog?" But then I remembered that children probably read that paper.

813Jag
May 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM
At first I thought, "Why didn't they quote citdog?" But then I remembered that children probably read that paper.
A citdog quote would have been priceless. xlolx

citdog
May 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM
how's this one?

"I love you guys!"

SideLine Shooter
May 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
A newpaper article about AGS Poll in our local paper - Lake Charles American Press. Good job guys! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

by Gary Laney

A little bliss in an otherwise depressing time

McNeese Sports

Any Given Saturday is a Web Site that basically is a hang out for fans of football in the championship subdivision of Division I (what we used to call I-AA).

What it amounts to is a message board where Colonial Athletic Association fans trash talk Southern Conference fans and where they both talk down to fans of leagues like the Southland Conference and where leagues like the SLC defend their honor.

Hey, as long as the CAA and the SC are splitting up all the national titles, I guess they’ve earned the right.

Considering what the Site is — a bunch of football fans who are dying a slow death until the next season comes along — it’s pure genius what they did Monday.

They initiated the conversation about the 2008 season. On Memorial Day.

The Site did it by publicizing the first FCS preseason poll of the season. McNeese is ranked No. 8, one spot behind Montana, the team that beat the Cowboys in the 2006 playoffs, and one spot ahead of Eastern Washington, which beat the Pokes in last season’s playoffs.

The top spot went to, you guessed it, Appalachian State, which got 76 of the 82 first-place votes. The Mountaineers were followed by James Madison, Richmond, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, UMass, Montana, McNeese, EWU and Wofford in the top 10.

Aside from McNeese, the Southland Conference was completely neglected by the voters, who gave votes to Sam Houston State, Central Arkansas and Nicholls State, but not enough to get any of them ranked.

What’s great about this poll is that it’s your poll, assuming you are an FCS football fan. This one is voted on by fans, specifically the message board members who frequent the Site.

Before you scoff at this notion, consider this: Who is more qualified to vote on an FCS poll, some sports writer who wishes he was covering the BCS instead of the FCS and who thinks Stephen F. Austin is an astronaut, or a person who is a big enough fan of this level of football to devote a considerable chunk (maybe too much of a chuck) of his time chatting about it with “Grizzaholic,” “Texas Terror,” “citdog,” “Cap’n Cat” and “3rd Coast Tiger?”

So forget the Sports Network poll (of which I’ve been a voter for quite a few years) and definitely ignore some of the other polls out there.

This is the one with the experts.

The very fact that their preseason poll came out before June shows how shrewd these people are as football fans.

We are in what, to the hard core football fan, is a depressing time. The period from mid-May through mid-July is to a football fan what the dead of winter is to an Alaskan. There’s no sunshine and all the symptoms of depression kick in.

In the fall, the fan is in hog heaven. In the winter, his focus is squarely on the lads his team is recruiting to win that national championship in five years. In the spring, he’s busy seeing how the redshirt freshman quarterback looks in the spring game. But now things are dead. So fill that void. Give them a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Do a poll. Never mind we don’t even know if Ryan Perrilloux will actually make it to Jacksonville, Ala., or if Armanti Edwards won’t be declared ineligible because he’s done too much already. Let the conversation begin. “UMass, Montana and Wofford too high. Ga Southern, Villanova and SDSU too low,” said Tribe4SF.

“We already have a top 20 matchup for the first week, with Richmond visiting Elon. We will start to straighten this thing out very early. Should be fun to watch. I think the poll looks pretty good,” said Millwoch.

“I am surprised that Cal Poly did not make a bigger jump,” said SloStang.

“McNeese at 8th? Are you serious?,” asked patssle. “They had a joke of a schedule vs. a 3-8 Portland, 3-9 ULL from the Sun Belch, 0-11 Southern Utah, D2 South Dakota, then the weak SLC.”

And with that, there was something to talk about, something to brighten up the dog days of summer until August rolls around again and the talk turns to “Does LSU have a chance to contain Armanti Edwards ?”

EXCELLENT!!!xnodx xnodx xnodx

89Hen
May 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
May 27th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Sounds to me like Gary Laney needs to get a life. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx ;)

Hangin' around message boards.....damned internet pervert. xnonox

bobbythekidd
May 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Pretty cool.

bobbythekidd
May 27th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Sounds to me like Gary Laney needs to get a life. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx ;)

Pot, meet Kettle.xlolx

james_lawfirm
May 27th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Great stuff! xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
May 27th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Pot, meet Kettle.xlolx

Why, whatever do you mean, bobby? :D

bobbythekidd
May 27th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Why, whatever do you mean, bobby? :D
I heard it somewhere. Don't recall where.;)

...and it's Bob, dammit!

AZGrizFan
May 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I heard it somewhere. Don't recall where.;)

...and it's Bob, dammit!

What's Bob? xconfusedx

McTailGator
May 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Good stuff!

Though he left out the important ending to my post...about how they got plastered in the playoffs when facing real competition.

Are my post to you that reminded YOU that SHSU was no where near the playoffs, and probably won't be for a few years more... xthumbsupx

McTailGator
May 27th, 2008, 10:28 AM

He's the only one of us that get's PAID for surfing the internet, calling it "RESEARCH". xsmiley_wix

Most of us have to turn our computer monitors away from our bosses view. McBeat's boss is probably doing the same thing on the LSU and SEC message boards. xlolx

AZGrizFan
May 27th, 2008, 10:29 AM
He's the only one of us that get's PAID for doing, all the while calling it "RESEARCH". xsmiley_wix

Most of us have to turn our computer monitors away from our bosses view. McBeat's boss is probably doing the same thing on the LSU and SEC message boards. xlolx

Now I'm just jealous. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2008, 10:34 AM
He's the only one of us that get's PAID for surfing the internet, calling it "RESEARCH". xsmiley_wix

I get to do that was McBeat does...to some extent. xnodx

Makes my life easier in doing the job that I have on my plate and I do get some good food recommendations from time to time as well.

Syntax Error
May 27th, 2008, 10:35 AM
no rest around here Gary. all FCS-all the time

Retro
May 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
There are very few writers out there that cover FCS teams that are as knowledgable and objective as gary is when it comes to FCS coverage.
Unlike many team writers, he doesn't sugarcoat it or give undo praise 100% of the time nor does he get on the mob bandwagon when things go wrong.. He tells it like it is from all angles.. If we had more writers out there from all over the country that cover FCS teams that did as good a job, we'd see more educated football fans instead of those who know more teams in the FBS than FCS..
How many times in the past have we seen major newspaper writers totally have their facts wrong and make themselves look clueless when writing an occasional FCS article?xoopsx

buckp
May 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM
There are very few writers out there that cover FCS teams that are as knowledgable and objective as gary is when it comes to FCS coverage.

We are truly blessed to have someone like him down here. Every FCS team needs a 'Gary' writing for them. xbowx

Did you know that we (McNeese) almost lost him about a year ago to a job offer in Pennsylvania?
Thank goodness the deal fell through....xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
May 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
He'd-a been really impressed had he had the opportunity, denied him by overaggressive moderation, to read the now infamous "I Want A Vagina" thread by Cap'n Cat.

Wonder if I-AA Fan read that?

xrolleyesx

dungeonjoe
May 27th, 2008, 01:04 PM
maybe news pieces like this show why moderation is a good thing...

ASUMountaineer
May 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Good article, need to get that national.

uofmman1122
May 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Awesome!

I wish more news sources did things like this.

Cap'n Cat
May 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
maybe news pieces like this show why moderation is a good thing...

Hey, Albert Schweitzer, leave the cheery attitude, positive crap at the door, will ya?

xmadx

:p

Syntax Error
May 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
He'd-a been really impressed had he...He must read the Lounge board because this is the most CC has ever posted on the FCS board! :p

blackfordpu
May 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
That writer has to be a member of the board. Who is it?

Cap'n Cat
May 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
It's 89Hen.

RabidRabbit
May 27th, 2008, 04:08 PM

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

I'll never tell, but we do have some excellent McNeese fans here!

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

89Hen
May 27th, 2008, 04:17 PM
It's 89Hen.
Nope, he can spell, I cant'. :p

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM

Not too active a member here, though he pokes around when the time is right. Seems to rear his head on Geaux Cowboys from time to time. xthumbsupx

Rob Iola
May 27th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Wait, Stephen F. Austin isn't an astronaut? But I could swear I saw him star in "The $6 Million Man"...

Tod
May 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Wait, Stephen F. Austin isn't an astronaut? But I could swear I saw him star in "The $6 Million Man"...

Back when $6M was a lot of money. :D

McTailGator
May 27th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Back when $6M was a lot of money. :D

Somehow,

The 587.73 Million Dollar Man does not have the same ring to it does it? xlolx

Franks Tanks
May 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM

It is McNeese Beat, he has mentioned before that he uses the board to gain insights into the mind of FCS fans and topics we may find important.

JohnStOnge
May 27th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Good stuff!

Yet they managed to handle Sam Houston State a whole lot easier than North Dakota State did and blow out a team Eastern Washington lost to. Football's amazing, isn't it?

Rob Iola
May 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
It is McNeese Beat, he has mentioned before that he uses the board to gain insights into the mind of FCS fans and topics we may find important.
boobs?

McNeese_beat
May 28th, 2008, 12:44 AM
A few thoughts
1. Thanks for the compliments. Much appreciated.
2. A larger audience needs to know about Cap'n Cat. That was the primary motive.
3. Stephen F. Austin was the $6 million man. What we saw last season was depreciation folks. Plain, simple, depreciation...

Lehigh Football Nation
May 28th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks McNeese_beat!

Now we just need to find out who this is - slostang? xeyebrowx

http://media.www.mustangdaily.net/media/storage/paper860/news/2008/05/28/Sports/Poly-Football.Named.most.On.Rise.By.Poll-3376239.shtml

The Cal Poly football team was voted the "team most on the rise" throughout the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) and ranked 13th nationally in the Any Given Saturday preseason poll released Monday.

AGS takes into account votes from FCS fans frequenting the Web site's message board of the same name.

appfan2008
May 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I dont know if it was already mentioned or not but the socon website has the ags poll front and center today!

TexasTerror
May 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM
More and more good publicity...

You'd think that AGS had it's own SID or public relations department! ;)

bobbythekidd
May 28th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I dont know if it was already mentioned or not but the socon website has the ags poll front and center today!
So it does. Here is a link to the story.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=21895&SPID=1781&DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=1474883

appfan2008
May 28th, 2008, 10:54 AM
So it does. Here is a link to the story.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=21895&SPID=1781&DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=1474883

pretty good article and some great rep for ags

Syntax Error
May 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
More and more good publicity...

You'd think that AGS had it's own SID or public relations department! ;)I got the press release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 26, 2008
[email protected]

2008 FCS Preseason AGS Poll Announced

Reigning National Champion Appalachian State landed the top spot garnering 76 first place votes in the fifth annual preseason AnyGivenSaturday.com (AGS) Poll of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) released today. The AGS Poll has been the first released national poll each year since it's inception in 2004.

Following the Mountaineers in the top ten were (in order): James Madison, Richmond, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Massachusetts, Montana, McNeese State, Eastern Washington and Wofford. The full results are listed below.

Four other teams received first place votes including James Madison (2), North Dakota State (2), Cal Poly (1) and Richmond (1).

A total of 21 squads received more than the five votes required to receive mention outside of the top 25.

The Colonial Athletic Association, FCS's largest league and the Southern Conference lead the way with six teams each in the Top 25; the Gateway Football Conference had five, the Big Sky and Ohio Valley Conferences had two each, and the Great West Football Conference, the Ivy and Patriot Leagues, and the Southland Conference were each represented with one squad.

The pollsters also named Cal Poly as the biggest rising team from 2007 and Delaware as the biggest falling team.

In comparison to other polls, the AGS Poll had as many or more of it's preseason top 25 on it's final regular season poll than either of the other two polls (coaches and media) had on their's since their inception four years ago. The AGS Poll also had as many or more of it's preseason top 25 on it's final regular season poll make the playoffs than either of the other two polls the past four years.

AGS is the world's largest online community devoted to all of the FCS. The AGS Poll was created in 2004 to give distinguished members of the AGS community a place to voice their opinion, vote for the top 25 FCS programs in the nation, and provide the media and coaches of FCS a valuable resource to gauge general sentiment.

In order to ensure that the poll is accurate and fair, a committee of AGS veteran members has established guidelines for voter eligibility and accountability. The AGS Poll will be announced weekly throughout the season on Mondays and a final poll will be announced shortly after the National Championship game.

2008 Any Given Saturday Poll Preseason Top 25
(First place votes in parenthesis)

1. Appalachian State (76)
2. James Madison (2)
3. Richmond (1)
4. North Dakota State (2)
5. Northern Iowa
6. Massachusetts
7. Montana
8. McNeese State
9. Eastern Washington
10. Wofford
11. Delaware
12. Southern Illinois
13. Cal Poly (1)
14. Youngstown State
15. Elon
16. Georgia Southern
17. Villanova
18. South Dakota State
19. Eastern Illinois
20. New Hampshire
21. The Citadel
22. Eastern Kentucky
23. Fordham
24. Yale
25. Furman

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Harvard (33), Sam Houston State (31), Delaware State (29), Northern Arizona (27), Central Arkansas (24), Montana State (24), Jackson State (23), South Carolina State (22), Jacksonville State (18), Grambling State (16), Liberty (16), Holy Cross (14), Western Illinois (13), Albany (12), Hofstra (12), Dayton (10), Hampton (10), Nicholls State (7), Coastal Carolina (5), Colgate (5), Norfolk State (5).

BIGGEST RISING TEAM FROM 2007: Cal Poly
BIGGEST FALLING TEAM FROM 2007: Delaware

# # #

Syntax Error
May 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5
2008 FCS Preseason AGS Poll Announced
Reigning National Champion Appalachian State landed the top spot garnering 76 first place votes in the fifth annual preseason AnyGivenSaturday.com (AGS) Poll of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) released today. The AGS Poll has been the first released national poll each year since it’s inception in 2004.
Read more ...

2008 Consolidated FCS Preseason Rankings
The 2008 consolidated FCS preseason rankings by publications and polls in progress.
Read more ...

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM
"AGS is the world's largest online community devoted to all of the FCS. The AGS Poll was created in 2004 to give distinguished members of the AGS community a place to voice their opinion, vote for the top 25 FCS programs in the nation, and provide the media and coaches of FCS a valuable resource to gauge general sentiment."

Don't some of the TSN voters participate in AGS as well?

Syntax Error
May 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Elon press release
Phoenix Football Team Receives Preseason Recognition

ELON, N.C. – Junior wide receiver Terrell Hudgins (Rocky Mount, N.C./Rocky Mount) and senior punter Brandon Lane (Greensboro, N.C./Southeast Guilford) became the first Elon football players to be tabbed to the Consensus Draft Services Preseason All-America team in the five-year history of the squad when CDS unveiled its 2008 honors Tuesday afternoon. The 6-3, 235-pound Hudgins landed on the first team while the 6-5, 258-pound Lane ended up on the second unit.

Hudgins was named the 2007-08 Stein H. Basnight Outstanding Athlete earlier this month, recognizing him as the outstanding Phoenix male athlete of the year. He logged 10 Elon, Southern Conference or NCAA records while pacing the Phoenix to its best season in eight years last fall. The Walter Payton Award finalist led the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision in receptions and receiving yards per game last season on his way to earning First Team All-Southern Conference and First Team All-America accolades.

Also a First Team All-Southern Conference honoree, Lane led league leaders and finished eighth among FCS leaders in punting in 2007. In the team statistics, Elon finished the campaign ranked second in the nation in passing offense, ninth in scoring offense, 16th in passing efficiency, 17th in punt returns, 19th in total offense and 29th in net punting.

The Phoenix emerged at No. 15 in the fifth annual preseason AnyGivenSaturday.com poll, also released Tuesday afternoon. AGS has sponsored the first released FCS poll each year since its inception in 2004. In all, six Southern Conference teams earned national rankings – three-time defending FCS champion Appalachian State at No. 1, Wofford at No. 10, Elon at No. 15, Georgia Southern at No. 16, The Citadel at No. 21 and Furman at No. 25.

Phoenix non-conference foe Richmond was slotted at No. 3. Liberty, another 2008 Elon non-league foe, received votes for top-25 consideration. The Colonial Athletic Association, the largest FCS league, and the Southern Conference each placed a nation-leading six teams among the country’s top-25 FCS squads. In addition to its preseason poll, AGS announces a weekly poll every Monday throughout football season as well as a final poll shortly after the National Championship game takes place.

AGS is the world's largest online community devoted to all of the FCS. The AGS poll was created in 2004 to give distinguished members of the AGS community a place to voice their opinion, vote for the FCS’ top-25 programs, and provide the media and coaches a valuable resource to gauge general sentiment. In order to ensure that the poll is accurate and fair, a committee of AGS veteran members established guidelines for voter eligibility and accountability.

–ELON–

AZGrizFan
May 28th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Elon press release

OK. We get it. You sent out a press release, and all these lazy SID's copied and pasted it into their "article". xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Syntax Error
May 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Don't some of the TSN voters participate in AGS as well?They must because you know many AGS members vote in the TSN poll. xcoffeex

Syntax Error
May 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
OK. We get it. You sent out a press release, and all these lazy SID's copied and pasted it into their "article". xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeexI sent out a press release? No, AGS did. Publications run press releases, that's their job. Just posting here which ones I saw that ran it. Does that bother you? Why? xconfusedx

andy7171
May 28th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I can't wait for football to start, all these nit picky arguements are getting annoying!

FWIW, I thought it was a great article!

AZGrizFan
May 28th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I sent out a press release? No, AGS did. Publications run press releases, that's their job. Just posting here which ones I saw that ran it. Does that bother you? Why? xconfusedx

Okay. ;)

Just seems like, after 5 years, you wouldn't feel the need to jump up and down for the spotlight. Act like you've been there before....that's all I'm sayin'. xpeacex xcoffeex

Syntax Error
May 28th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Okay. ;)
Just seems like, after 5 years, you wouldn't feel the need to jump up and down for the spotlight. Act like you've been there before....that's all I'm sayin'. xpeacex xcoffeexDoes that go for me or is that for everyone who has posted links in this thread? AGS is for sharing FCS info. Didn't see any others but I'll post them here if I do, just for AZGrumpyFan. :p

OL FU
May 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Does that go for me or is that for everyone who has posted links in this thread? AGS is for sharing FCS info. Didn't see any others but I'll post them here if I do, just for AZGrumpyFan. :p

Great to know that the poll gets attention and our hard work (and fun doing it) pays offxthumbsupx xthumbsupx

mebisonII
May 28th, 2008, 12:45 PM
"AGS is the world's largest online community devoted to all of the FCS. The AGS Poll was created in 2004 to give distinguished members of the AGS community a place to voice their opinion, vote for the top 25 FCS programs in the nation, and provide the media and coaches of FCS a valuable resource to gauge general sentiment."

Don't some of the TSN voters participate in AGS as well?

We have distinguished members? xconfusedx ;)

AZGrizFan
May 28th, 2008, 12:48 PM
We have distinguished members? xconfusedx ;)

Yeah. But you have to have over 13,000 posts and NOT be a Bison fan. xnodx xnodx

OL FU
May 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah. But you have to have over 13,000 posts and NOT be a Bison fan. xnodx xnodx

xthumbsupx to the greater than 13,000 clubxsmiley_wix

AZGrizFan
May 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
xthumbsupx to the greater than 13,000 clubxsmiley_wix

All 5 (ahem....six) of us. xeyebrowx

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2008, 12:54 PM
They must because you know many AGS members vote in the TSN poll. xcoffeex

Very true. A few of their voters started voting in this one when it started up and seems more of them vote now than ever before. :D

Syntax Error
May 28th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Very true. A few of their voters started voting in this one when it started up and seems more of them vote now than ever before. :DYou might be surprised. xcoffeex

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM
You might be surprised. xcoffeex

If I had to guess I would say about 15-20 of them vote in AGS. That could be why both polls usually aren't far off.

McNeese_beat
May 28th, 2008, 04:00 PM
They must because you know many AGS members vote in the TSN poll. xcoffeex

That's why I didn't respond to the AGS poll invitation (thanks anyway). I didn't think it would be right to vote on two polls.

AZGrizFan
May 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM
That's why I didn't respond to the AGS poll invitation (thanks anyway). I didn't think it would be right to vote on two polls.

But 20 of your peers DO? xconfusedx xeyebrowx

leatherneck177
May 28th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Nice to see the exposure!

McNeese_beat
May 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM
But 20 of your peers DO? xconfusedx xeyebrowx

To me, it's a little bit like the same guy is all three judges at a boxing match.

Of course, boxing matches are all corrupt anyway...

But don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a big deal

danefan
May 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
To me, it's a little bit like the same guy is all three judges at a boxing match.

Of course, boxing matches are all corrupt anyway...

But don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a big deal

It also scews the inherent inaccuracy of the GPI even more, by basically counting those "double dippers" twice.

You used to be able to say "oh well, the GPI and AGS are only used for message board fodder anyway." Well, that's not true anymore. The GPI and AGS may have a direct impact on an NEC team making the playoffs in 2008 and 2009.

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
It also scews the inherent inaccuracy of the GPI even more, by basically counting those "double dippers" twice.

You used to be able to say "oh well, the GPI and AGS are only used for message board fodder anyway." Well, that's not true anymore. The GPI and AGS may have a direct impact on an NEC team making the playoffs in 2008 and 2009.

If a NEC team plays good competition such as ranked or receiving votes teams and beats them they will get in sooner or later. I would like to see a NEC team win some tough games and get in.

mmiller_34
May 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM
100 posts to vote right?? i'm gettin' there... xnodx

Syntax Error
May 28th, 2008, 11:00 PM
You used to be able to say "oh well, the GPI and AGS are only used for message board fodder anyway." Well, that's not true anymore. The GPI and AGS may have a direct impact on an NEC team making the playoffs in 2008 and 2009.Ah, the GPI Haters Club rears its head again. "Inherent inaccuracy!" xlolx Next step for the spin Club, referring to the GPI and AGS as OLD GUARD and biased against BOTH LIMITED SCHOLARSHIP/AID CONFERENCES. LOL!!!!!!!!!! xrolleyesx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 29th, 2008, 09:02 AM
EIU joins the fun:

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2008/05/28/sports/doc483e26b77c5de782224380.txt

CHARLESTON -- Hype for the 2008 football season has officially started as the first preseason poll of the year was released with Eastern Illinois landing at No. 19 in the AnyGivenSaturday.com rankings.

The Panthers finished last season ranked nationally after going 8-4 and making a third consecutive NCAA FCS playoff berth. EIU was one of two Ohio Valley Conference teams to land in the rankings with Eastern Kentucky at No. 22. Jacksonville State was among those teams listed receiving votes.

Syntax Error
May 29th, 2008, 12:23 PM
UMass too

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052808aaa.html

Syntax Error
June 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
and Cal Poly

http://gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&tab=news&id=29891&article_id=49981

Rob Iola
June 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
EIU joins the fun:

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2008/05/28/sports/doc483e26b77c5de782224380.txt
Ah, the good ol' Journal Gazette Times Courier (did I leave any out?) - Mattoon Illinois' contribution to journalistic excellence...