PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Peek at Lamar's stadium renovation and new athletic complex

centexguy
May 26th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Here's an artist's rendering of Lamar's Cardinal Stadium after renovations and the new athletic complex that will be located on the south end of the stadium. They are planning on breaking ground this summer. Total cost will be between $18 and $22 million, depending on how much money they raise for extras like VIP suites.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2027/2526966080_97134c46f4.jpg?v=0

Here's a current photo of the stadium (looking towards the south):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/2384512144_99e40f9139.jpg?v=0

GeauxColonels
May 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM
That would definitely be a huge upgrade to the facilities. Too bad they're only trying to use the Southland Conference as a stepping stone to get to FBS.

Retro
May 26th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Once they realize (again) that no one in beaumont cares about anything but high school football, they'll abandon any FBS dreams and consider dropping football again.xcoffeex

centexguy
May 26th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Once they realize (again) that no one in beaumont cares about anything but high school football, they'll abandon any FBS dreams and consider dropping football again.xcoffeex

Not true at all. Lamar dropped football due to financial problems with the Lamar University System, a very bad local economy, and an admiinstration dead set on killing football. Combine that with the fact that Lamar dropped down from D1-A to D1-AA independent and put it's resources into basketball and of course football was doomed to fail.

A lot has changed since then and within 5 years Lamar will have the best athletic facilites in the conference. Football is just one piece of Lamar's $100 million capital improvement campaign. Great things are happening at Lamar.

Tod
May 27th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Here's an artist's rendering of Lamar's Cardinal Stadium after renovations and the new athletic complex that will be located on the south end of the stadium. They are planning on breaking ground this summer. Total cost will be between $18 and $22 million, depending on how much money they raise for extras like VIP suites.

That looks like a damn fine stadium even without the upgrades! Even better, of course, with them.

xnodx xnodx xnodx

McNeese_beat
May 27th, 2008, 01:18 AM
That's what you call a funny camera angle. Move the camera a little to the right and square it off with the press box and you'll get a nice view of the refinery just behind the visiting stands...

Real, real, pretty stuff.

Nothing against Lamar. I've just never seen a facility built in the shadow of some sort of industrial plant before...I'm told that Lamar wanted to put something up that would block the view of the plants, but the railroad company that owns the tracks that are, literally a few feet from the back of the stadium don't want anything around the tracks that might fall and become an obstruction on the track.

Tod
May 27th, 2008, 01:46 AM
That's what you call a funny camera angle. Move the camera a little to the right and square it off with the press box and you'll get a nice view of the refinery just behind the visiting stands...

Real, real, pretty stuff.

Nothing against Lamar. I've just never seen a facility built in the shadow of some sort of industrial plant before...I'm told that Lamar wanted to put something up that would block the view of the plants, but the railroad company that owns the tracks that are, literally a few feet from the back of the stadium don't want anything around the tracks that might fall and become an obstruction on the track.

That may detract from the view/experience some, but the stadium itself looks pretty decent.

McNeese_beat
May 27th, 2008, 02:15 AM
That may detract from the view/experience some, but the stadium itself looks pretty decent.

Not bad at all. Needs work, especially the press box, but it's not a bad starting point.

centexguy
May 27th, 2008, 06:39 AM
FEMA is paying for the replacement of the pressbox that Hurricana Rita took out so it's not being expanded. A larger pressbox would be nice but the stadium needs a lot of work just to get it up to modern standards so that will have to wait.

McTailGator
May 27th, 2008, 08:21 AM
That would definitely be a huge upgrade to the facilities. Too bad they're only trying to use the Southland Conference as a stepping stone to get to FBS.

They're not.

A couple of Lamar fans are making a LOT of noise about that. Most of their fans just want to see football again (period).

The Lamar President wants to be in the Southland. He is the reason they returned to the Southland. He is a McNeese Alumn.

It's their 1,000 year old AD who cuts down the SLC, while tring to rule it, that may have led some of those noise making Cardnial fan to believe that they are headed to the "Land of BIG TIME Football", and it's just a matter of time before A&M, and UT will be visiting Cardinal Stadium.

Funny thing is, Ole Billy might be retired before Lamar ever kicks off.

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Not true at all. Lamar dropped football due to financial problems with the Lamar University System, a very bad local economy, and an admiinstration dead set on killing football. Combine that with the fact that Lamar dropped down from D1-A to D1-AA independent and put it's resources into basketball and of course football was doomed to fail.

And we all know how basketball ended up. Does not seem the $$$ into basketball worked as those in the Cardinal Camp thought it would.

No doubt great things are happening at Lamar. You guys remind me of SHSU. Some bad leadership for quite some time, quite a few things slipping by and now digging out of that hole in a huge way. The current Board of Regents has been very helpful to us, just like it has been to you and Simmons is a good guy, just like our head honcho.

McTailGator
May 27th, 2008, 08:27 AM

That will be a very nice EZ complex!

and I like the brick entry and concorse plans.

Too bad you have to stick to the same press box footprint (for now). It would have been nice just to knock that old thing off and start from scratch, but it will NOT be the worse PressBox in the SLC I can promise you that.

No offense to Nichols, TxSU, and even SHSU to a lesser extent, But they will still be in worse shape than Lamar's press box will be IMO.

centexguy
May 27th, 2008, 09:11 AM
They're not.

A couple of Lamar fans are making a LOT of noise about that. Most of their fans just want to see football again (period).

The Lamar President wants to be in the Southland. He is the reason they returned to the Southland. He is a McNeese Alumn.

It's their 1,000 year old AD who cuts down the SLC, while tring to rule it, that may have led some of those noise making Cardnial fan to believe that they are headed to the "Land of BIG TIME Football", and it's just a matter of time before A&M, and UT will be visiting Cardinal Stadium.

Funny thing is, Ole Billy might be retired before Lamar ever kicks off.

Dr. Simmons (LU's President) wasn't the reason Lamar returned to the SLC. Lamar returned to the SLC in the fall of 1998, Dr. Simmons took office in the fall of 1999. That decision was made by the former president, part of the bad leadership Lamar had to endure.

Billy Tubbs has never stated publicly that Lamar intends to go FBS. And Tubbs doesn't cut down the SLC, he's trying to improve it. The Southland doesn't get much respect and it's becoming a one bid league in many sports.

patssle
May 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
No offense to Nichols, TxSU, and even SHSU to a lesser extent, But they will still be in worse shape than Lamar's press box will be IMO.

Our PB has been remodeled inside in the past year. It looks a lot better on the inside if you havn't been in there recently (which I guess you havn't since McNeese was last here in 2006).

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2008, 10:36 AM
SLU is getting a new press box this year. Looking forward to checking that one out in the near future. Lots of upgrades around the conference.

McTailGator
May 27th, 2008, 10:41 AM
And Tubbs doesn't cut down the SLC, he's trying to improve it. .

Ha, Tell that to the SLC Ref's. (:

And it is NOT an improvement to hold the Basketball touney's at neutral sites. The proof is in the attendance figures. Check out the 2002 thru 2004 attendance figures.

We are one bid because we take the home court away from a team like SFA this year that blew through the conference and some good OOC teams, only to slip up in an empty arena 180 miles away from their campus with no fans support to give the 5th seeded team a shot at the Big dance.

That is NOT an improvement. The Tournament needs to be played at the home of the highest seeded teams to give the best (and most deserving) schools in the conference an advantage (and reward) to make it to the Big Dance.

The vast majority of SLC fans will be happy when Tubbs is gone.

McTailGator
May 27th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Our PB has been remodeled inside in the past year. It looks a lot better on the inside if you havn't been in there recently (which I guess you havn't since McNeese was last here in 2006).

That's why I said to a lesser extent...

I knew you were doing something. but it still can't compare with those at SFA, McNeese, and soon SLU.

FormerPokeCenter
May 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM

A lot has changed since then and within 5 years Lamar will have the best athletic facilites in the conference. Football is just one piece of Lamar's $100 million capital improvement campaign. Great things are happening at Lamar.

First. Lamar was never a I-A school. They were a member of Division I, just like all SLC schools were before the split in 1982. In 1982, there were only two schools in the SLC that had the option of going the I-A route:

USL and McNeese. USL had an in via the stadium size route and McNeese had an in via attendance figures. Lamar has/had neither. They dropped down to I-AA, just like the rest of the conference and competed in the SLC until 1987 and then dropped football after that...

Whoever told you they were I-A and dropped to a I-AA independent sold you a bill of goods. They spent four or five years in the SLC until they foolishly left the conference in football....

89Hen
May 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Nothing against Lamar. I've just never seen a facility built in the shadow of some sort of industrial plant before...
Delaware Stadium is pretty close. There's talk that a new stadium could be built on the Chrysler plant that is closing right across the street if the University acquires the land.

centexguy
May 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
First. Lamar was never a I-A school. They were a member of Division I, just like all SLC schools were before the split in 1982. In 1982, there were only two schools in the SLC that had the option of going the I-A route:

USL and McNeese. USL had an in via the stadium size route and McNeese had an in via attendance figures. Lamar has/had neither. They dropped down to I-AA, just like the rest of the conference and competed in the SLC until 1987 and then dropped football after that...

Whoever told you they were I-A and dropped to a I-AA independent sold you a bill of goods. They spent four or five years in the SLC until they foolishly left the conference in football....

The split occurred in 1978, not 1982.
http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=568
http://petespoll.com/petesiaahistory.shtml

I didn't say Lamar dropped straight from 1-A to 1-AA independent, my point was that Lamar de-emphasized football and as a result went from 1-A football down to nothing.

Maybe McNeese should have gone the 1-A route. They were actually ranked in the top 20 and played in the Independence Bowl a few times.

centexguy
May 27th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Ha, Tell that to the SLC Ref's. (:

And it is NOT an improvement to hold the Basketball touney's at neutral sites. The proof is in the attendance figures. Check out the 2002 thru 2004 attendance figures.

We are one bid because we take the home court away from a team like SFA this year that blew through the conference and some good OOC teams, only to slip up in an empty arena 180 miles away from their campus with no fans support to give the 5th seeded team a shot at the Big dance.

That is NOT an improvement. The Tournament needs to be played at the home of the highest seeded teams to give the best (and most deserving) schools in the conference an advantage (and reward) to make it to the Big Dance.

The vast majority of SLC fans will be happy when Tubbs is gone.

Tubbs isn't the commissioner of the SLC. He has one vote like the rest of the ADs in the conference. Maybe he has some magical powers and through mind control he forces the other ADs to vote his way. xrotatehx

patssle
May 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Tubbs isn't the commissioner of the SLC. He has one vote like the rest of the ADs in the conference. Maybe he has some magical powers and through mind control he forces the other ADs to vote his way. xrotatehx

Perhaps, but he does have pull. Plus he can convince other ADs.

Billy Tubbs is not good for the SLC.

FormerPokeCenter
May 27th, 2008, 02:20 PM

I didn't say Lamar dropped straight from 1-A to 1-AA independent, my point was that Lamar de-emphasized football and as a result went from 1-A football down to nothing.

Maybe McNeese should have gone the 1-A route. They were actually ranked in the top 20 and played in the Independence Bowl a few times.

We made the right decision.

Prior to 1982, the decision to participate in the I-AA playoffs was a voluntary one. In 1982, the NCAA devised their attendance and/or stadium capacity scheme to determine classification. As indicated before, we could have stayed.

We looked at it, but at the time, it would have meant going the route of NLULM and/or SWLI/USL/UL@Lafayette route, which hasn't worked out too well.

GeauxLions94
May 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
That's why I said to a lesser extent...

I knew you were doing something. but it still can't compare with those at SFA, McNeese, and soon SLU.

Did someone mention us???

GeauxLions94
May 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM

He's as old as this guy. Maybe Tubbs uses the Force xchinscratchx

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2007/03/07/obi-wan460.jpg

TwinTownBisonFan
May 27th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Did someone mention us???

That's a nice rendering Geaux... smart-looking boutique stadium for an FCS school - good call

3rd Coast Tiger
May 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
No offense to Nichols, TxSU, and even SHSU to a lesser extent...

After 2010, the above mentioned statement won't apply to us any longer. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

McTailGator
May 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Delaware Stadium is pretty close. There's talk that a new stadium could be built on the Chrysler plant that is closing right across the street if the University acquires the land.

Trust me, the view from your stadium is a lot nicer then the view from Cardinal stadium.

I don't know which one came first in Beaumont, Lamars stadium or the chemical plant next door.

But it can get kind of smelly around there too.

BTW, I'd bet there will be enough space for an indoor practice facility for just about every sport at UD there. (;

And a nice indoor parking lot too. xsmiley_wix

McTailGator
May 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM
After 2010, the above mentioned statement won't apply to us any longer. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

What's happining in 2010?

McTailGator
May 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM

I think the other AD's are just trying to be polite to the Old Guy.

Personally, I'd tell him to go change his depends or retire. He is able to get TAM-CC and UTA to follow his lead.

But after the past two years of tournament busts and the one that will probably be worse next year in Corpus Cristi, the rest of the league will turn on him and vote to return the conference tourney to the site of the higer seeded teams. As it should be.

McTailGator
May 27th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Nah,

We made the right choice. If you think about it, Lake Charles and Beaumont have basically the same economy with our marriages to the Petro-Chemical Industry.

Our economy in the Lake Area was as bad as it was in Beaumont. Our only saving grace was that McNeese fans, unlike Lamar fans never gave a rats rear end about basketball, and Lake Charles is a bigger football town than Beaumont is.

Plus, those Indy bowl appearances in 76, 79, and 80, kept our fans in the stands, and our season tickets sold for years after, even in our lean years in the mid and late 80's.

There is NO reason to be an FBS team unless you are in a conference that can bring in BCS type of money.

Other than those schools, there is no money in college football, unless you control your costs via less scholarships and lower coaches salaries.

Bottom line, your either a BCS school, an FCS school, or a pretender stuck in the land of make believe.

centexguy
May 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Trust me, the view from your stadium is a lot nicer then the view from Cardinal stadium.

I don't know which one came first in Beaumont, Lamars stadium or the chemical plant next door.

But it can get kind of smelly around there too.

BTW, I'd bet there will be enough space for an indoor practice facility for just about every sport at UD there. (;

And a nice indoor parking lot too. xsmiley_wix

The large ExxonMobile plant that's a little north of the stadium was there before the stadium, but I don't know about the small chemical plant that's right behind the stadium. Lamar's been at their current campus since 1942 so there's not much they can do about the area.

The air quality is a lot better in the area than 20 or 30 years ago, and in fact the area is now in compliance with the federal Clean Air Act. As far as the view, hopefully they'll plant more trees around the stadium and beautify the parking lots around it.

SFA 71
May 28th, 2008, 01:04 AM

... you must have never been to a game in San Marcos. To get from the parking lot to the stadium you have to walk across a bridge crossing the railroad track that goes by the swt stadium. Several times during the game you get to view trains going by.xthumbsupx

McTailGator
May 28th, 2008, 08:00 AM
... you must have never been to a game in San Marcos. To get from the parking lot to the stadium you have to walk across a bridge crossing the railroad track that goes by the swt stadium. Several times during the game you get to view trains going by.xthumbsupx

Oh I think he's been San Marco's Once or twice. xsmiley_wix

Nothing compare to the view to the east of Lamars stadium. You will soon get to experience it for yourself.

BUT, I for one am happy they are bringing FB back. I miss having a true rival.

houtexan
July 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM
LMAO. The facility behind the stadium (while unattractive) is NOT A CHEMICAL PLANT. I believe it is actually a power facility. In any case, the smell you refer to is the smell of money. We just want football back. We'll play it anywhere.

McNeese72
July 9th, 2008, 03:42 PM
LMAO. The facility behind the stadium (while unattractive) is NOT A CHEMICAL PLANT. I believe it is actually a power facility. In any case, the smell you refer to is the smell of money. We just want football back. We'll play it anywhere.

Huh? Power Plant?

I live in Sulphur, La. and people from Sulphur and Lake Charles know what refineries look like. And that looks like a refinery to me, complete with cat crackers and holding tanks.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/cardinalst.jpg

Doc

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Lamar was able to get football...

The question remains to be answered...will Lamar bring to a stop the construction on I-10 in the Golden Triangle? Seems it always is under construction there, similar to Katy, Texas...just west of Houston.

Lionsrking
July 9th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Lamar was able to get football...

The question remains to be answered...will Lamar bring to a stop the construction on I-10 in the Golden Triangle? Seems it always is under construction there, similar to Katy, Texas...just west of Houston.

Ain't that the truth!!! Seems like every time I drive through Beaumont, going back over 20 years, there's construction going on. Darndest thing I've ever seen.

McTailGator
July 10th, 2008, 01:41 AM

That is just a rumor.

They have ZERO intentions about FBS, and in fact they are worried about whether or not they will have enough support to even be in FCS.

Beaumont is an extreamly wierd place.

houtexan
July 10th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Huh? Power Plant?

I live in Sulphur, La. and people from Sulphur and Lake Charles know what refineries look like. And that looks like a refinery to me, complete with cat crackers and holding tanks.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/cardinalst.jpg

Doc

What you have labeled as a Power Plant is a Refinery. However, directly behind Cardinal Stadium (the only thing visible from Cardinal Stadium) is a Power Plant. (the triangular shaped facility just above the word Cardinal of your label). I admit, it's not the best scenario for stadium placement. But hey, what're ya gonna do? Too costly to build an entire stadium from scratch and Exxon/Mobil isn't going to move anytime soon. LOL.

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 09:01 AM
That is just a rumor.

They have ZERO intentions about FBS, and in fact they are worried about whether or not they will have enough support to even be in FCS.

Beaumont is an extreamly wierd place.

I think they want to go FBS, but they want to see how FCS goes for them. A few fans I have talked to say the fans will lose interest pretty soon if a move to FBS is not made.

It's been a long while since they had football and IMO, they are going to need pretty quickly if they want to maintain the momentum from having a new ball club. We'll see what happens...

I figure LU is in the FCS for a good while...

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM
A stadium update...

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=lamar-football-stadium-update&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more1988

houtexan
July 13th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Video can be seen here: http://www.kfdm.com/video/index.php?bcpid=1138292619&bclid=1622640545&bctid=1662475213