PDA

View Full Version : Which title run is the most impressive?

smallcollegefbfan
May 26th, 2008, 10:00 PM
After reading a thread on it I thought I would post a poll. Admin is welcome to consolidate the thread.

I went with GSU because of 6 titles and 2 runner up appearances.

uofmman1122
May 26th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Definitely Georgia Southern. Any title run is impressive. 3 in a row is incredible, but no one has dominated like they have over the span of the last 20+ years.

However, I am puzzled how Furman's one title win, and 2 runner up finishes were more impressive than Montana's 2 wins, and 3 runner up finishes. Not trying to sound homerish, since if it actually is remarkable and amazing, I hardly know anything about it. xconfusedx

KiddBrewer
May 26th, 2008, 10:41 PM
i voted app....but i could have easily went with YSU or GSU.

Furman? no disrespect intented

DuckDuckGriz
May 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I voted for Georgia Southern but like uman said how could you have Furman or Western Kentucky when you have Montana winning titles in 1995 and 2001 and finishing runner up 1996, 2000, and 2004...

FCS Go!
May 26th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Definitely Georgia Southern. Any title run is impressive. 3 in a row is incredible, but no one has dominated like they have over the span of the last 20+ years.

However, I am puzzled how Furman's one title win, and 2 runner up finishes were more impressive than Montana's 2 wins, and 3 runner up finishes. Not trying to sound homerish, since if it actually is remarkable and amazing, I hardly know anything about it. xconfusedx

I'll second that! No disrespect to Furman but whither Griz? xconfusedx

Oh and I'll take Georgia Southern.

Retro
May 26th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I have to go with App as they have won 3 straight, even though Youngtown made it to 4 straight and won 3 of 4 and Ga southern did make to 3 sraight title games and has more overall titles.. It's tough enough just to make it back to the title game 2 years in a row, but to make it back 3 times and win all 3 is very good.. Of course just making it 4 and winning 3 of the 4 is almost as impressive.. xbowx

Just like when the bills made it to 4 straight Super Bowls, despite not winning any, it was still an impressive feat with all the turnover at various positions.. Same with college, but you have much more turnover with players graduation and you probably only have about 20-25 guys who are there for all 3 years of the run.

OL FU
May 27th, 2008, 05:46 AM
i voted app....but i could have easily went with YSU or GSU.

Furman? no disrespect intented

I was trying to understand why Furman was in the pollxconfusedx

appstate38
May 27th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Georgia Southern- they are still the gold standard as far as title runs go. But all the other teams on that list have nothing to be ashamed of because they are all impressive in their own right.

OL FU
May 27th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Georgia Southern- they are still the gold standard as far as title runs go. But all the other teams on that list have nothing to be ashamed of because they are all impressive in their own right.

I agree, but there are only 6 teams with multiple titles. At this point they stand seperate from all othersxnodx

Except for Marshall that stands with one foot in the garbarge dump and one straddling probationxmadx

AshevilleApp2
May 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I went with Georgia Southern. Back to back three different times and with (I think) three different coaches. Youngstown State had the best decade to date.

mountaineertider
May 27th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I voted GA Southern. Being in the national championship five times out of six is just amazing and probably won't ever be duplicated.

neersnbeers
May 27th, 2008, 07:24 AM
GSo, but we're coming for ya!

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM

I listed the teams who had won titles since 2000 first and then put the older runs below them. I was not trying to rank the title runs. Since ASU was the most recent I put them but if you look at the votes I voted for GSU so if this was by rank I would have put GSU first.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I was trying to understand why Furman was in the pollxconfusedx

I listed 6 choices and once I did that I realized I could cut Furman but after I hit submit it would not let me edit it.

Eyes of Old Main
May 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM
App's current streak is very impressive, but the sheer volume and duration of GSU's run makes theirs most impressive in my estimation.

SideLine Shooter
May 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Without a doubt it GSU. xbowx xbowx xbowx

GaSouthern
May 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Had to go with GSU, with YSU and ASU comning just behind

OL FU
May 27th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I listed 6 choices and once I did that I realized I could cut Furman but after I hit submit it would not let me edit it.

xthumbsupx I wasn't really complaining. It is always nice to be included. I think FU's playoff runs probably put them in the top ten playoff teams of all time. Just hard to put them up against the othersxnodx

Once againxthumbsupx

OLDMAIN80
May 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM
App's current streak is very impressive, but the sheer volume and duration of GSU's run makes theirs most impressive in my estimation.

xthumbsupx Dittoxthumbsupx

GaSouthern
May 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I'll give FU credit for their academic standard to overcome while recruting and still get to the big game three times is extremely impressive.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I'll second that! No disrespect to Furman but whither Griz? xconfusedx

Oh and I'll take Georgia Southern.

I almost put Montana and should have. My apologies on the error. Maybe someone who has the ability to edit could add them in?

FCS Go!
May 27th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I almost put Montana and should have. My apologies on the error. Maybe someone who has the ability to edit could add them in?

You're forgiven. It really is only a 3-choice question anyway(App St, GSU & YSU).

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2008, 12:32 PM
You're forgiven. It really is only a 3-choice question anyway(App St, GSU & YSU).

Very true. If you guys had to rank the accomplishments of those 3 what would your order be?

1. GSU
2. ASU
3. YSU

???

OL FU
May 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Very true. If you guys had to rank the accomplishments of those 3 what would your order be?

1. GSU
2. ASU
3. YSU

???

GSU, especially considering their first two were in the third and fourth(I think?) year of restarting footballxnodx

ASUMountaineer
May 27th, 2008, 05:00 PM
1. GSU
2a. ASU
2b. YSU

I want to say ASU, as ours is impressive, but GSU is I-AA/ FCS. They have set the standard we all strive for. I hope they don't go I-A, it would be a big loss for FCS.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 27th, 2008, 05:07 PM
This thread needs a different title.

Which dynasty is the most impressive?

For that question, I would say Georgia Southern, with App St. a close second.

As far as title run, I consider that a single season feat and would use my homeristic superpowers to give it to JMU, the only team to win a NC all on the road! xnodx xpeacex

blueballs
May 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Furman's accomplishments, while not as impressive numbers wise as GSU, YSU, ASU, or Montana are by far the most impressive of any of the private schools in 1-AA/FCS and deserve mention for that reason.

I'm a homer and go with GSU... but homerism aside, what Erk Russell (RIP) accomplished starting from scratch and retiring with 3 titles, one runner-up and a 15-0-0 final campaign in 8 years is nothing short of a miracle and his tenure deserves its own mention apart from the overall successes of GSU.

Cleets
May 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM
#1 = GSU
#2 = ASU (Because I believe they will get a 4th soon)
#3 = YSU (at this moment more impressive than ASU but by seasons end.. ASU will eclipse them)

Just my 2 cents

and the Montana snub is perfect for AGS Forum...!!!! xnodx

JohnStOnge
May 27th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I went with YSU because of 91 - 94. I realize it's just a matter of opinion but they missed four in a row by a last second field goal against Marshall on Marshall's home field (lost 31-28). Someone might demonstrate me to be wrong but I believe that's the only run in which one program made the title game four consecutive years. And twice when they got there they had to play Marshall on its home field. And Marshall went 21-3 on its home field in the playoffs.

Tod
May 27th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I voted for YSU, looking at the word dynasty and YSU's near absolute domination of the 90's.

appsfan
May 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM

1. GSU
2. ASU
3. YSU

???

That's the way I see it too. One could easily flip flop ASU & YSU and make an argument for that order also.

blackfordpu
May 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I went with App. State, three in a row is incredible. It is a close call though.