PDA

View Full Version : McNeese may forfeit to SFA

JohnStOnge
October 9th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Why? Because the Southland Conference has decided to make McNeese play the game...which is a "home" game for the Cowboys...in Houston. That means the home team must travel over 300 miles to the game from where it's currently housed (Hammond, LA) while the "visiting" team travels only 140 miles to a site in its home state.

McNeese coach Tommy Tate has been quoted as saying he's not taking his team to Houston to play the game.

The reason given by the Southland is hotel availibility in Louisiana. However, the University of Houston somehow managed to play Tulane in Lafayette, LA, just this past weekend.

jmuroller
October 9th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I don't know all the rules but....McNeese should be able to play the game wherever the f*#% they want. It's there home game.

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2005, 05:39 PM
The reason given by the Southland is hotel availibility in Louisiana. However, the University of Houston somehow managed to play Tulane in Lafayette, LA, just this past weekend.

John, UH drove to and back on gameday...that's how they pulled it out.

McNeese is gonna have to drive in and back. SWAC schools do it and they travel 14 hours after a game all the time (ask TxSo about trips back from Alabama A&M on game day).

TxSt-SM stayed at a Christian Camp somewhere in the Hammond area. and I think the Bearkats will be staying in dorms at Hammond on the campus of SELA when they play Nicholls this week.

McNeese75
October 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM

McNeese is gonna have to drive in and back. SWAC schools do it and they travel 14 hours after a game all the time (ask TxSo about trips back from Alabama A&M on game day).

TxSt-SM stayed at a Christian Camp somewhere in the Hammond area. and I think the Bearkats will be staying in dorms at Hammond on the campus of SELA when they play Nicholls this week.

Fine, then SFA can drive their ass into Lafayette and out the same day!!! :mad:

JohnStOnge
October 9th, 2005, 05:46 PM

The thing is, Tex, this is a McNEESE home game. I suspected Houston did that but SFA could do that too if the game was held at Lafayette (which I understand was an option). The distance between Houston and Lafayette (216 miles) is comparable to that between Nacogdoches and Lafayette (256).

Worse case scenario for SFA would be the game being played in Hammond, LA, and the Jacks having to stay in a hotel maybe a 4 hour bus ride away. That wouldn't be unreasonable given the circumstances and what McNeese has already had to deal with.

All the stuff about the SWAC just supports the argument that McNeese ought to be able to choose the site of the game and it ought to be up to SFA to find a way to deal with it. You're saying SWAC teams drive 14 hours. Well...Nacogdoches to Hammond would "only" be about six or seven hours if it came to that.

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2005, 05:54 PM
The thing is, Tex, this is a McNEESE home game. I suspected Houston did that but SFA could do that too if the game was held at Lafayette (which I understand was an option). The distance between Houston and Lafayette (216 miles) is comparable to that between Nacogdoches and Lafayette (256).

Why is this game not being played in Lafayette? ULL is on the road. It's gotta be hotels. No dorm space? That's what you need to be asking. A decision was made and it may have been made by SLC, McNeese and SFA in a group decision. That's what you need to find out...and then you said, McNeese ought to be able to choose the site. Well, why didn't they? Are you sure they didn't?

All the stuff about the SWAC just supports the argument that McNeese ought to be able to choose the site of the game and it ought to be up to SFA to find a way to deal with it. You're saying SWAC teams drive 14 hours. Well...Nacogdoches to Hammond would "only" be about six or seven hours if it came to that.

No where to stay. They'd have to come in before. SWAC comes in before, stays a night and then leaves right after. SFA would need a place to stay. SHSU is staying at SELA dorms as there were NO hotels or anything. Sam has the space that SFA needs. That'd be unfair for SFA to go seven there and seven back on gameday. One way on gameday, site to home would be fine. Sorry for confusing it, but because of the cards dealt, your going to have to come up with a solution and unfortunately, only solution was apparently Houston...

You could play it in Dallas, eh? Houston is atleast I-10 straight shot from Lake Charles. SFA goes down 59. What more do you want? With HS football games already messed up here and in Louisiana, it's not like you'd get a field that didn't already have a game. Even if you did, who's to say it wasn't a mess due to grass or whatever?

JohnStOnge
October 9th, 2005, 06:35 PM
My understanding was that McNeese was not in on it. And if SHSU could stay in the dorms at SE LA when it goes to play the Lions SFA could do that while going to Hammond to play the Cowboys.

I was wondering how Texas State managed to play in Hammond last night. I kind of assumed maybe they had hotel reservations from prior to the disasters, but maybe they also stayed in the dorms.

In any case, it's doable. No way the game should be being played in Texas when the home team wants it in Louisiana (preferably Hammond).

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2005, 06:38 PM
My understanding was that McNeese was not in on it. And if SHSU could stay in the dorms at SE LA when it goes to play the Lions SFA could do that while going to Hammond to play the Cowboys.

Well, Sam is staying in the dorms in HAMMOND when they play in THIBODAUX. We already have got those. SFA could not take the dorms as well on the same weekend. That's this coming weekend, SHSU/Nicholls and SFA/McNeese are both Saturday.

I was wondering how Texas State managed to play in Hammond last night. I kind of assumed maybe they had hotel reservations from prior to the disasters, but maybe they also stayed in the dorms.

Just told you, a Christian sleepaway camp of some sorts...

In any case, it's doable. No way the game should be being played in Texas when the home team wants it in Louisiana (preferably Hammond).

Where are they going to stay in Hammond? Kats have the Hammond dorms, for a game in Thibodaux. Kats couldn't find anywhere to stay as far as back home in Texas! If Kats can't find a place to stay, where are the Jacks gonna stay?

Dallas Demon
October 9th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Fine, then SFA can drive their ass into Lafayette and out the same day!!! :mad:

McNeese should be able to choose where they want to play this game, not the commish. Lafayette is still a short drive from SFA. Surely there is more to the real story as to why Houston was chosen without the approval of McNeese. :confused:

FightinBluHen51
October 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah, any reason they can't fly in and like UT did for LSU?

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2005, 06:59 PM
McNeese should be able to choose where they want to play this game, not the commish. Lafayette is still a short drive from SFA. Surely there is more to the real story as to why Houston was chosen without the approval of McNeese. :confused:

My thinking is, the Commish and SFA tried finding hotels in a very accessible place, as close to Lake Charles as they could that was available. Lake Charles was out, Beaumont area was out. Lafayette would not work due to hotel situation and being a bit further than SFA would've liked for in and out. Baton Rouge was not an option for the same reason with no hotels.

Closest place was Houston and SFA probably said, we could drive there without a problem. NW St has a home game so that was out and the Bearkats were staying in Hammond for a game in Thibodaux due to hotel issues. From that standpoint, it makes sense.

I'm sure they had accomodations made for McNeese so Houston would work and the conference knew it had to go make a decision before a game was cancelled as McNeese may be only school outside of TxSt-SM that could get an at-large. SFA could come on game day to Houston, so that was not an issue.

blackfordpu
October 9th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Lets hope they don't forfeit, McNeese does not need to miss anymore games.

McNeese72
October 9th, 2005, 08:23 PM
My thinking is, the Commish and SFA tried finding hotels in a very accessible place, as close to Lake Charles as they could that was available. Lake Charles was out, Beaumont area was out. Lafayette would not work due to hotel situation and being a bit further than SFA would've liked for in and out. Baton Rouge was not an option for the same reason with no hotels.

Closest place was Houston and SFA probably said, we could drive there without a problem. NW St has a home game so that was out and the Bearkats were staying in Hammond for a game in Thibodaux due to hotel issues. From that standpoint, it makes sense.

I'm sure they had accomodations made for McNeese so Houston would work and the conference knew it had to go make a decision before a game was cancelled as McNeese may be only school outside of TxSt-SM that could get an at-large. SFA could come on game day to Houston, so that was not an issue.

You guys are missing the point. If Houston can drive to Lafayette and back in one day along with Tulane driving down from Ruston, where they are based now,and back in one day to play in Lafayette, and McNeese is willing to drive from Hammond, where they are based now, to Lafayette and back in one day, why is it so hard for SFA to drive to Lafayette and back in one day?

Besides, we are the ones that have had our budget busted by the hurricane and not SFA. Is the SLC going to help McNeese with travel expenses to go all the way from Hammond to North Houston to play? I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. And a lot of McNeese fans are hurting financially right now for not working for two weeks or so. It would be a lot easier driving to Lafayette than driving to Houston, especially with the price of gas down here right now. I don't even know if I could make it over to Houston this weekend.

Bobcat94
October 9th, 2005, 08:26 PM
This doesn't even sound right.....

If it is it's BS for McNeese. They can play in Hammonds on Thursday or Friday night and pitch a freaking tent like Texas State did.........Not seriously, but they did stay at some Church camp.........Hell that alone had to cost T State two TD's!!!!!

Come on SLC let McNeese figure this out and make SFA play them where they choose.......

beerkat
October 9th, 2005, 09:15 PM
yeah this is a bunch of bullcrap

McTailGator
October 9th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Why is this game not being played in Lafayette? ULL is on the road. It's gotta be hotels. No dorm space? That's what you need to be asking. A decision was made and it may have been made by SLC, McNeese and SFA in a group decision. That's what you need to find out...and then you said, McNeese ought to be able to choose the site. Well, why didn't they? Are you sure they didn't?

No where to stay. They'd have to come in before. SWAC comes in before, stays a night and then leaves right after. SFA would need a place to stay. SHSU is staying at SELA dorms as there were NO hotels or anything. Sam has the space that SFA needs. That'd be unfair for SFA to go seven there and seven back on gameday. One way on gameday, site to home would be fine. Sorry for confusing it, but because of the cards dealt, your going to have to come up with a solution and unfortunately, only solution was apparently Houston...

You could play it in Dallas, eh? Houston is atleast I-10 straight shot from Lake Charles. SFA goes down 59. What more do you want? With HS football games already messed up here and in Louisiana, it's not like you'd get a field that didn't already have a game. Even if you did, who's to say it wasn't a mess due to grass or whatever?

Houston is a straight shot from LC, the problem is, our players have been in Hammond over the last 16 days and would have to bus in from 6 hours away in Hammond for a home game in Houston, whereas the visiting team would have a nice little hour and a half drive down.

We already secured a sight in Lafayette. The SLC and SFA's AD are just trying to pull one over on us.

Tate told them to stick it, The cowboys will be in Lafayette, so if SFA wants a game they better leave a little earlier and head East.

McTailGator
October 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah, any reason they can't fly in and like UT did for LSU?

Not enough By-Planes at Lufkin's so called airport to carry their whole team. (;

They can bus down in about 3 or 4 hours or so.

blackfordpu
October 9th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Houston is a straight shot from LC, the problem is, our players have been in Hammond over the last 16 days and would have to bus in from 6 hours away in Hammond for a home game in Houston, whereas the visiting team would have a nice little hour and a half drive down.

We already secured a sight in Lafayette. The SLC and SFA's AD are just trying to pull one over on us.

Tate told them to stick it, The cowboys will be in Lafayette, so if SFA wants a game they better leave a little earlier and head East.

I agree, SFA should be the one who gets the forfeit.

Catmendue2
October 10th, 2005, 03:01 AM
You guys are missing the point. If Houston can drive to Lafayette and back in one day along with Tulane driving down from Ruston, where they are based now,and back in one day to play in Lafayette, and McNeese is willing to drive from Hammond, where they are based now, to Lafayette and back in one day, why is it so hard for SFA to drive to Lafayette and back in one day?

Besides, we are the ones that have had our budget busted by the hurricane and not SFA. Is the SLC going to help McNeese with travel expenses to go all the way from Hammond to North Houston to play? I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. And a lot of McNeese fans are hurting financially right now for not working for two weeks or so. It would be a lot easier driving to Lafayette than driving to Houston, especially with the price of gas down here right now. I don't even know if I could make it over to Houston this weekend.

If there is a forfeiture mail it to SFA. They would deserve it. Now on second thought, GSU is traveling this weekend and rooms are available in the area around Shreveport and Ruston. Grambling's administration would love to assist you guys. Holler if you need us.

Catmendue2
October 10th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Now you talking, this is exactly how you handle your business. Great plan. ;)

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Where are they going to stay in Hammond? Kats have the Hammond dorms, for a game in Thibodaux. Kats couldn't find anywhere to stay as far as back home in Texas! If Kats can't find a place to stay, where are the Jacks gonna stay?

I did misread your post earlier and thought what you said was that TSU stayed in Hammond. However, it's possible there's room in SLU's dorms for both contingents. Also, as I said earlier, it's very likely they could find some place to stay within a three or four hour drive of Hammond.

It could've been done.

Moot though. This morning I've learned that McNeese had arranged to play the game in Lafayette. There's absolutely no question...none...that that was doable.

This morning I'm also hearing that McNeese is taking the position that McNeese, and not the SLC, has the right to pick the sites for its home games. We'll see what happens.

txstatebobcat
October 10th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I've seen Coach Tate's quotes and its good that he is saying those things. However, where is you AD raising hell in this mess? As a matter of fact where was he when the decision to play the game in houston was made? I say this things because I refuse to believe that the MSU AD didn't have any say so on where the cowboys' home game would be played.

kats89
October 10th, 2005, 09:48 AM
That game should be played in Lafayette if ULL is on the road. Playing it at a high school stadium is not the answer. (Although the Galena Park Stadium is a very nice facility)

http://www.galenaparkisd.com/athletics/2004/stadium/index.htm

The football season in the Southland Conference is an absolute mess this year.

McNeese75
October 10th, 2005, 09:56 AM
I've seen Coach Tate's quotes and its good that he is saying those things. However, where is you AD raising hell in this mess? As a matter of fact where was he when the decision to play the game in houston was made? I say this things because I refuse to believe that the MSU AD didn't have any say so on where the cowboys' home game would be played.

You obviously know nothing about our AD!!!

txstatebobcat
October 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I would demand his resignation if I were a cowboy fan.

Dallas Demon
October 10th, 2005, 12:15 PM
That game should be played in Lafayette if ULL is on the road. Playing it at a high school stadium is not the answer. (Although the Galena Park Stadium is a very nice facility)

http://www.galenaparkisd.com/athletics/2004/stadium/index.htm

The football season in the Southland Conference is an absolute mess this year.

Wow, nice stadium. It's amazing that many of the high school stadiums here in Texas are better than lots of I-AA stadiums. We have some great ones around the Dallas area for sure.

BayouColonel
October 10th, 2005, 02:47 PM
If my geography is correct driving from Nachodoches to Lafayette is about the same as driving from Natchitoches to Thibodaux. If that is true then there is no reason that the game can't be played at USL/ULL/UL@L/UL-Lafayette(or whatever they are calling themselves nowadays).

McNeese75
October 10th, 2005, 02:58 PM

:eek: Take a look at the Geauxcowboys webside archives and you will see that kind of talk stretching back for several years!! :D

buckp
October 10th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by txstatebobcat

:eek: Take a look at the Geauxcowboys webside archives and you will see that kind of talk stretching back for several years!! :D

We could never catch this guy....his golf cart is camouflaged! ;)

blackfordpu
October 10th, 2005, 05:34 PM
[/i]

Good to see you on the board buck. How are things going over there?

McNeese75
October 10th, 2005, 05:46 PM
[/i]

:D , yeah, you will never recogonize him at an away game because he never wears anything that has McNeese on it :bang:

McTailGator
October 10th, 2005, 11:22 PM

The McAD as usual got caught with his head up his @$$...
When he pulled it out for a fresh air break he realized that he had a bunchof Pi$$ed of Cowboy fans and he and the Pres. spoke up and got the venue back to where we wanted it to begin with.

I blame our AD foe this, not the SLC.

McTailGator
October 10th, 2005, 11:23 PM

LOL...

Get in line.