PDA

View Full Version : Big OOC FCS games in 2008

slostang
May 23rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Cal Poly plays three big Out Of Conference games in 2008.

Sept. 6th Montana @ Cal Poly

Sept. 13th Cal Poly @ McNeese State

Oct. 18th Cal Poly @ South Dakota State

What are some other big OOC games in 2008?

Probably one of the biggest would be App. State at JMU on Sept. 20th.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
We getting ready our FCS Game of the Week already? You guys let me know.

SHSU plays Gardner-Webb which is a unique match-up for us...SLC vs Big South. I'm excited about it...not worthy as a "Big OOC game".

CP also has Northwestern State which will be a tough one.

TheValleyRaider
May 23rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
Colgate has some pretty interesting OOC games scheduled this year at season's open

8/30-at Stony Brook, should be good. Another northeast school we're meeting for the first time

9/6-at Coastal Carolina could be a very nice measuring stick game for both programs. Big South power vs. Patriot League power

9/13-Furman, big game vs. a SoCon power

Then 3 Ivies as well with Dartmouth and Princeton at home, and at Cornell

slostang
May 23rd, 2008, 11:12 PM
We getting ready our FCS Game of the Week already? You guys let me know.

SHSU plays Gardner-Webb which is a unique match-up for us...SLC vs Big South. I'm excited about it...not worthy as a "Big OOC game".

CP also has Northwestern State which will be a tough one.

I agree that Northwestern State will be a tough one. That game will be back to back weeks in Louisiana for Cal Poly and Turpin Stadium is a tough place to play.

Seawolf97
May 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Colgate at Stonybrook 8/30 -First ever meeting between these teams. I expect a good game under the lights.
Elon at Stonybrook- 9/6 A very good Elon Team visits Stonybrook. It should be a good test for us.
Stonybrook at Brown 9/20 - Never played an Ivy team and it will be their season and home opener. Another good test for the Seawolves on the road.
Hofstra at Stonybrook 9/27- The Battle of Long Island 2008 edition. Maybe we can turn the tide and win this one. We are 0-11 against the Pride so maybe its time.

citdog
May 24th, 2008, 10:16 AM
the FCS will finally see if the Ivy's really can play with the other Conferences when Princeton journeys to the "Cradle of Secession" to take on The Citadel Bulldogs.

lillycafe
May 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I would have to say one of the biggest, if not the biggest, is ASU @ JMU and I plan on being there.

Tilldog40
May 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Northeastern has 2 nice games. On the road at Georgia Southern on 9/13 and at home against UC Davis 9/27.

DetroitFlyer
May 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Fordham traveling to Dayton. Two FCS conference champions in 2007 meet in a rematch at newly turfed Welcome Stadium in Dayton, Ohio.

Another big game is Jacksonville traveling to Boone, NC!

Appinator
May 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
My non-homer vote has to be for Elon Vs. Richmond. Elon was almost a play-off team with a very young squad last year, and Richmond was on the verge of playing in the national championship. We should get a good idea of how good Hudgins and Riddle can be.

Demon Fan
May 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Northwestern State plays two really interesting OOC FCS games, and both are back-to-back in Turpin Stadium! On Sept. 13th. Grambling State comes calling. A great in-state opponent that the Demons haven't played since 1974. Grambling will bring a lot of fans and I look for a sell out (17,000+).

Cal Poly is a team with an exciting and very prolific offense. They will be our guests on Sept. 20th. Expect another good crowd for this one!

813Jag
May 24th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Northwestern State plays two really interesting OOC FCS games, and both are back-to-back in Turpin Stadium! On Sept. 13th. Grambling State comes calling. A great in-state opponent that the Demons haven't played since 1974. Grambling will bring a lot of fans and I look for a sell out (17,000+).

Cal Poly is a team with an exciting and very prolific offense. They will be our guests on Sept. 20th. Expect another good crowd for this one!
I hope Grambling turns out for the game, I miss filling up Turpin Stadium, I always had a good time up there.

As for the Jags our two big games are Florida A&M (first time in Baton Rouge since 2000 which was a 50-49 loss one of the best games I've ever been to) and Tennessee State (the Jags first trip to Nashville since 1990)

slostang
May 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM

It should be a great game. I am also looking forward to Northwestern State coming to San Luis Obispo in 2009.

McNeese72
May 25th, 2008, 08:13 PM
McNeese plays two interesting OOC FCS games.

Cal Poly at home and South Dakota St. in Brookings.

Doc

ngineer
May 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Lehigh's visit to Villanova on Sept 13 will be an eye-opener as to whether the Mountain Hawks will begin to climb back up to their perch they had gotten used to from 1998-06. The Wildcats are expected to be one of the contenders in the CAA this year with a stud QB returning.

Besides that, road games at Princeton and Harvard and a home game with Cornell will be challenging. While most people are expecting a win with Drake as the home opener, both teams will be strangers to each other, and first games can be full of surprises.

slostang
May 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM
McNeese plays two interesting OOC FCS games.

Cal Poly at home and South Dakota St. in Brookings.

Doc

Brookings is a tough place to play. Just ask Cal Poly and North Dakota State.xoopsx

GOKATS
May 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I'd guess the 'Cats at Kansas St. on 09/06 and at Minnesota on 09/13 deserves mention.

uofmman1122
May 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'd guess the 'Cats at Kansas St. on 09/06 and at Minnesota on 09/13 deserves mention.I think he meant OOC games between two FCS teams. I could be wrong, though, and both of those games should be really awesome, regardless. Hopefully they don't rough you guys up too much. Playing two FBS teams in a row could really do some damage, although I'd be more worried about Kansas St. than Minn.

GOKATS
May 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I think he meant OOC games between two FCS teams. I could be wrong, though, and both of those games should be really awesome, regardless. Hopefully they don't rough you guys up too much. Playing two FBS teams in a row could really do some damage, although I'd be more worried about Kansas St. than Minn.

xoopsx :o

I wish we could do FCS OOC games, but the opportunities are limited. We have two FBS teams (money games) this year because of the 12 game schedule, but also have two non-counters in Adams St. and South Dakota (transition year to the Great West, but a DII counter).

crusader11
May 26th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Holy Cross vs. UMASS
Holy Cross @ Harvard (Friday night game) and @ Yale

NSUSPARTAN
May 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Norfolk State has a huge OOC with The College of William & Mary. This is a program game for NSU. Also has a big impact on in state recruiting. We will see if NSU is ready to compete for the playoffs this season.

OL FU
May 30th, 2008, 02:19 PM
As far as I know only Furman and JMU are both scheduled to play the national champion and the runner up (of course one each for both is an OOC) xnodx

OL FU
May 30th, 2008, 02:23 PM
9/13-Furman, big game vs. a SoCon power

I like this one. Two similar schools ( small private highly rated liberal arts schools) from very different geographical areas and different conference philosophies. xnodx

And typically two very good football teamsxthumbsupx

elcid96
May 30th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I'd guess the 'Cats at Kansas St. on 09/06 and at Minnesota on 09/13 deserves mention.

Not really since K State is an FBS school

RabidRabbit
May 30th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Brookings is a tough place to play. Just ask Cal Poly and North Dakota State.xoopsx

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Well Poly, quit being so gracious at home, and bang the Griz down xlolx xlolx xlolx

RabidRabbit
May 30th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Jacks host their two rated OOC opponents in Brookings this year.

#8 McNeese
#13 Cal Poly (though it will feel like a conference game xsmiley_wix )

Another very challenging year for the Jacks! xoopsx

Hoyadestroya85
May 30th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Villanova-Lehigh 9/13 good local game, the home team has yet to win in this series
Villanova at Penn 9/20 Villanova hasn't lost this game in a while but they tend to be nailbiters.. i'm not sure what Penn will be like next year..

ericsaid
May 30th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I would like to say some others are the SoCon vs. CAA, it will give a chance for the rest of the SoCon and not just App to prove themselves better than the CAA.

App vs. JMU
FU vs. UD
Elon vs. UR

slostang
May 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Jacks host their two rated OOC opponents in Brookings this year.

#8 McNeese
#13 Cal Poly (though it will feel like a conference game xsmiley_wix )

Another very challenging year for the Jacks! xoopsx

I am happy that Cal Poly will have a bye week before traveling to Brookings this year. Unfortunately so does South Dakota State. Should be a great game.

BULLDOG8180
May 30th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I like this one. Two similar schools ( small private highly rated liberal arts schools) from very different geographical areas and different conference philosophies. xnodx

And typically two very good football teamsxthumbsupx

OL you ain't boycotting graduation are you!!xsmiley_wix

SuperJon
May 30th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Our big ones:

Liberty at Coastal - first day of conference season, likely determines conference champion
Liberty at Youngstown State
Liberty vs Elon

We have to win one of those bottom two, if not both, to have a shot at the playoffs. The Elon game is the very last game of the season. That game could be the determining factor of who gets in and who doesn't.

CID1990
May 31st, 2008, 12:48 AM
Our big ones:

Liberty at Coastal - first day of conference season, likely determines conference champion
Liberty at Youngstown State
Liberty vs Elon

We have to win one of those bottom two, if not both, to have a shot at the playoffs. The Elon game is the very last game of the season. That game could be the determining factor of who gets in and who doesn't.

I am surprised you guys are allowed to go to Myrtle Beach. You know that there is a lot of dancing going on there, right?

AZGrizFan
May 31st, 2008, 01:13 AM
I would have to say one of the biggest, if not the biggest, is ASU @ JMU and I plan on being there.

I would agree this is probably the biggest, but the west coast version of that is Montana @ Cal Poly. xnodx xnodx xnodx

SuperJon
May 31st, 2008, 10:50 AM
I don't know why I added Coastal on there since they're obviously conference and not OOC. My bad.