PDA

View Full Version : Will App State win a 4th straight title?

Syntax Error
May 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Might as well get the predictions down now, will they or won't they?

Shellin
May 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I voted no, they have a very very good team coming back and are likely going to be the favorites most of the way in but all it takes is one game to knock someone out in the playoffs. If I had to pick 1 team that I think has the best chance of winning championship I would pick App. State but if the question is the Mountaineers or the field, then I take the field.

JohnStOnge
May 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Probably not. The best bet is "no." But that was the best bet before last season too.

And JMU screwed it up by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the first round.

furman94
May 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
NO! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

3 HOTS, 3 Champs, ITS OVER!

Syntax Error
May 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah, a no vote is not a condemnation on App State... just tough to win it any year.

Henny
May 22nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
It is only a matter of time when Edwards gets hurt. It just so happened that he got back to full speed from last years's injury after the the first week of the playoffs

AppAlum2003
May 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
It is only a matter of time when Edwards gets hurt. It just so happened that he got back to full speed from last years's injury after the the first week of the playoffs

Right... because he played in every game in '06 except for the NC State opener as a freshman. It's just inevitable that he'll get hurt again! xnonono2x

HiHiYikas
May 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Hard to make a prediction...so many things could happen.

I feel like the compelling reasons to say "yes" outweigh the compelling reasons to say "no," though.

ericsaid
May 22nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
If Armanti get's hurt, I don't think there will be a huge drop off. The freshmen coming up played in the same spread option offense. I watched videos on youtube and this guy plays exactly like armanti.

Granted he hasn't stepped a foot on campus and probably not off his high school campus, but seeing the videos its's hard to doubt.

Armanti came in as a freshmen and did what only five other players in college football have ever done, what is to think it can't happen again?

Saint3333
May 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Probably not. The best bet is "no." But that was the best bet before last season too.

And JMU screwed it up by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the first round.

tsk, tsk, tsk. ASU won the game, they were the ones that caused the fumble. Besides it would have taken a FG to win it, which isn't a given.

ericsaid
May 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Touche

appsfan
May 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I voted no. It is hard enough to win one title much less four in a row. Using the same line of reasoning, I said last year that we wouldn't win three in a row. That goes to show what I know. xwhistlex

bobbythekidd
May 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
No person in their right mind would have predicted a third straight NC in 07. Yet, here we are...

I will echo my last years vote and say there is NWIH Appy does it again.

mountaineertider
May 22nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
I voted no now, hubris will not get me this time.

SideLine Shooter
May 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
I think ASU is the team to beat. With that said they get EVERYONES Best Shot. Everyone wants to beat the #1. As it has been said many times: It is difficult to win one, extremeley difficult and almost impossible to win back to back. To 3-Peat IS UNBELIEVABLE. Four for Moore will be a very difficult mountain to climb. I've seen the mountaineers do things that no other team has done before so why not win 4 in a row. Who knows and all the App haters sure are hoping that next year we are not sitting here talking about FIVE IN A ROW.xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx

jonmac
May 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
I'm having a feeling of dejavu, all over again.:)

And I'm comfortable making the prediction that we will win it again. Hey, I'm a fan. But if we don't, oh well. There'll be other seasons.

UDBlueLotFan
May 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
voted, yesxbawlingx You have something special going on there and I don't think it ends this yr. xsmhx xbowx

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 22nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
They could ... is there any team that sticks out in anyone's mind as being a preseason favorites? So many big-dawgs from last year have major losses (Flacco, Santos, Sanders, Foster, etc.). Can anyone tell me how Eastern Washington and James Madison are in terms of players returning?

FCS Go!
May 22nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
They could ... is there any team that sticks out in anyone's mind as being a preseason favorites? So many big-dawgs from last year have major losses (Flacco, Santos, Sanders, Foster, etc.). Can anyone tell me how Eastern Washington and James Madison are in terms of players returning?

Both have most of last years key pieces returning. EW has a new coach though...

UMass922
May 22nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'll predict yes.

uofmman1122
May 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
I think ASU is the team to beat. With that said they get EVERYONES Best Shot. Everyone wants to beat the #1. As it has been said many times: It is difficult to win one, extremeley difficult and almost impossible to win back to back. To 3-Peat IS UNBELIEVABLE. Four for Moore will be a very difficult mountain to climb. I've seen the mountaineers do things that no other team has done before so why not win 4 in a row. Who knows and all the App haters sure are hoping that next year we are not sitting here talking about FIVE IN A ROW.xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupxHow's it feel being the new President, Chairman, and CEO of Kool Aid? I hear you get to drink all you want.

footballer23
May 23rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
I voted no. Three is pretty hard to do... I dare say that four would require some sort of a miracle.

Skjellyfetti
May 23rd, 2008, 12:16 AM
I voted no. Three is pretty hard to do... I dare say that four would require some sort of a miracle.

#3 did.

http://images.townnews.com/jeffersonpost.com/content/articles/2007/11/30/sports/sports02.jpg

CaBisonFan
May 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
Might as well get the predictions down now, will they or won't they?

The program is on a roll. It will take another program that's on a Roehl to do it. xcoolx

It will take another dominant team with a style of play that 'counters' ASU's style. Strength, quickness, athleticism, and legitimate talent at key positions -- as well as an extremely balanced attack. Power running, finesse running, ultra-confident quarterback, bruising & quick defense -- with great coaching -- and some luck.

It will also need to be a program that has its own swagger, the kind of swagger that has been earned through years of its own success.

Who has that?

As in boxing, the champ has to be knocked out. In a close match, the team that's on a roll must be convincingly beaten to give up their throne. It won't be easy.

KiddBrewer
May 23rd, 2008, 01:56 AM
i voted yes. both because i think this years team could be the best of the 4 (homerish, maybe), and because im a fan, and its what fans do.

ps. i am VERY impressed by how well mannered this thread has been from both sides. could have easily been turned, and i expected it to be when i saw it. kudos folks.

OL FU
May 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
You know, strangely enough the ASU fans have become a little more tolerable after the third onexeyebrowx I mean it is almost like they are wondering what is going on themselves. If they win another they might start acting like real peoplexlolx

I SURE AS HELL HOPE NOT:D

AshevilleApp2
May 23rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
My answer is a definite maybe. If I had to pick the one team most likely to win, I'd wager on ASU. But ASU or the field, I'd bet on the field.

AshevilleApp2
May 23rd, 2008, 06:58 AM
You know, strangely enough the ASU fans have become a little more tolerable after the third onexeyebrowx I mean it is almost like they are wondering what is going on themselves. If they win another they might start acting like real peoplexlolx

I SURE AS HELL HOPE NOT:D

xlolx I for one don't plan on acting as a person at any time!

SideLine Shooter
May 23rd, 2008, 07:06 AM
How's it feel being the new President, Chairman, and CEO of Kool Aid? I hear you get to drink all you want.

It feels REAL GOOD with 3 - National Championships and looking for #4 In a Row!! xthumbsupx xnodx xnodx xnodx xbabycryx xbabycryx xdizzyx

Syntax Error
May 23rd, 2008, 07:10 AM
My answer is a definite maybe. If I had to pick the one team most likely to win, I'd wager on ASU. But ASU or the field, I'd bet on the field.that makes sense. xnodx

ASUTed
May 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
I voted yes, mainly because I want them to, not neccesarily because I think they will. I have one question though, is there any team with the talent to hang with us for the whole game? I only saw one FCS team last year and it was JMU, the played their type of game against us and took advantage of an inexperienced D-line. Sorry for them they won't have that same d-line to take advantage of.

Syntax Error
May 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
I voted yes, mainly because I want them to, not neccesarily because I think they will. I have one question though, is there any team with the talent to hang with us for the whole game? I only saw one FCS team last year...Did you see when ASU lost? Come on now, homerism run rampant. Let's not go crazy. There were several teams that beat or could have beat ASU last year. There are probably just as many this year too. Winning the title is different though as we all know.

TheValleyRaider
May 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
I voted yes, mainly because I want them to, not neccesarily because I think they will. I have one question though, is there any team with the talent to hang with us for the whole game? I only saw one FCS team last year and it was JMU, the played their type of game against us and took advantage of an inexperienced D-line. Sorry for them they won't have that same d-line to take advantage of.

Well, it only takes one game. Plus, it's not as if ASU is unbeatable. They did lose games last year. It has been, and can be, done

And, it's not just a talent issue. Yes, the Mountaineers have talent. So do a lot of other teams. Sometimes, it comes down to having the right players. ASU graduated a bunch of key players from those 3 titles, guys like Jackson and Lynch. You can replace their skill, certainly, but can you replace the will? Can you replace the leadership and desire guys like that bring to the table?

CharlestonAppFan
May 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Both have most of last years key pieces returning. EW has a new coach though...

As well as Richmond xnodx. I haven't voted in any of the polls (at least I don't think so) before so I'm not going to start now.

BUT.....I think ASU has a great team and runs a great offense that defenses in FCS haven't quite picked up on how to defend just yet (other than play keep away). JMU has embraced this theory and probably has the best chance of knocking ASU off the perch if a few lucky breaks go their way (and they are due big time xnodx ).

It's hard not to think App has the best chance in all reality, unless you have a reall hatred for us (directed towards FT06 and uofmman in particular xsmiley_wix ). I'm trying hard not to be the homer here so don't flame me, but I think we have the best athletes in FCS, because of the system we run and how they fit into the mold of that system.....not because I think we are the most talented (JMU or GSoU xbawlingx may be the winner in that category).

My rationale in thinking App can win the NC is because of this and the team theory that's instilled by Coach Moore and the assistants. They truly have something special going on up there and the continuity says a whole lot about the stability of the program.

Now with all of this being said, my other picks who have just as good of a chance to win the NC, would include JMU, Richmond, UMass, and a team from either the SoCon or Gateway. Yes, I think a team from the CAA will again play for the NC xnodx. Who is going to be on the other sideline? Maybe this is a poll that should be started..."will the CAA have another team in the NC this year?"...for all you App thread hating people...

B&G
May 23rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
ASU has the talent and they certainly will not be a deer in headlights. I do think it is a valid question about if they will replace the leadership lost by guys like Lynch, Elder, Richardson, Suttle, Brown and Jackson. Plus they have an entirely new secondary. But their front 7 should be much better and they still have that Edwards kid that I hear is an alright ballplayer. I voted no b/c the odds say the field is the better bet but I'm not sure ASU won't be the best FCS team once again.

Black Saturday
May 23rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
I voted yes,

Bottom line - because, the offense will be as usual (Hillary, if needed at QB can be effective) and the the biggest change from '07 is that the defense can be better than '06.

lillycafe
May 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
I voted yes because I want to leave Chattanooga this year with the same feeling I have had the last 3 years. But, it will be extremely difficult to do.

udchuck
May 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
I voted NO mainly because after losing the first game to LSU the crash you hear will be the Appy team and the fans of Appy crashing to earth.It's all I hear is just how great ASU is,the loss to LSU will shoot you down from cloud 9.--:( The team will lose 3 games for the year.xcoffeex xbowx xbowx

AppGrad06
May 23rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
I voted no b/c I'd rater be pleasantly surprised than woefully disappointed.

...on the other hand according to China Palace's fortune cookies, 4 is my lucky number

Saint3333
May 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
i voted yes. both because i think this years team could be the best of the 4 (homerish, maybe), and because im a fan, and its what fans do.

ps. i am VERY impressed by how well mannered this thread has been from both sides. could have easily been turned, and i expected it to be when i saw it. kudos folks.

I think ASU has a better chance of winning it in 2009 then 2008, which is very exciting. The secondary and o-line are fairly inexperienced, especially the secondary. ASU only loses the following starters after 2008: 1 WR, 1 S, 1 LB, 2 OL, and the punter.

That said, if I had to choose between the field and ASU for 2008, I'd choose the field, but if I had to choose ASU or team X I'd have to take ASU.

TheBisonator
May 23rd, 2008, 11:14 AM

footballer23: Your sig pic KICKS ASS!!!

B&G
May 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
I think ASU has a better chance of winning it in 2009 then 2008, which is very exciting. The secondary and o-line are fairly inexperienced, especially the secondary. ASU only loses the following starters after 2008: 1 WR, 1 S, 1 LB, 2 OL, and the punter.

That said, if I had to choose between the field and ASU for 2008, I'd choose the field, but if I had to choose ASU or team X I'd have to take ASU.

Ditto that.

TwinTownBisonFan
May 23rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
They may lose to LSU, but I've got this guarantee... it'll be close... and by sunday, people will know the name of Armanti Edwards

AppGrad06
May 23rd, 2008, 11:49 AM

actually it's the kicker not punter

Syntax Error
May 23rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
They may lose to LSU, but I've got this guarantee... it'll be close... and by sunday, people will know the name of Armanti Edwards

Is that why you voted no?

TwinTownBisonFan
May 23rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Is that why you voted no?

i voted no because every team in FCS has App in their sights for one thing. i also just think it's damn difficult for a team to win consecutive championships... three is crazy four would be... i dont even know

Rekdiver
May 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Surprise, I voted yes. The team is stronger and deeper than last year and more balanced. A freshman kicker will be better than Rauch. The o line will be about hte same, the d line better and lb's better. Corners will be solid and safeties will be challenged but very good. Jerry Moore and company have done a phenomenal job in recruiting and coaching. Be prepared for new wrinkles with the offense. I see a 9-2, 8-3 season again and another NC.

Appinator
May 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
It's like toss up on PTI, App or the field.

The odds are unbelievably stacked against this, and if I had to choose, I would say no. I still don't consider us as dominant as the YSU and GSU teams from the 80's and 90's, but maybe that all will change.

Who do I want to win: App. What is my bet: the field

DLS
May 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
i have a hard time believing we'll find another kicker BETTER than rauch. Or, a safety better than lynch. everyone else can be replaced easily tho.

I-AA Fan
May 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
If I vote yes, can we stop having any more ASU threads?

JDC325
May 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
They are the favorite but to win it ALL on the field you need a little luck as well (SEE JMU GAME) and I think ASU has used all their luck up.

furman94
May 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
If I vote yes, can we stop having any more ASU threads?

YES PLEASE! xsmiley_wix

Monarch History
May 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
What ASU has done the past three seasons has been amazing. My hat is off to them for that feat. To do it four times everything would have to perfectly fall in place and I don't see it happening. As others have posted, they lose some of their leadership which will be hard to replace in 2008. IMHO I see them more than likely back in the NC game in 2009.

SideLine Shooter
May 23rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Surprise, I voted yes. The team is stronger and deeper than last year and more balanced. A freshman kicker will be better than Rauch. The o line will be about hte same, the d line better and lb's better. Corners will be solid and safeties will be challenged but very good. Jerry Moore and company have done a phenomenal job in recruiting and coaching. Be prepared for new wrinkles with the offense. I see a 9-2, 8-3 season again and another NC.

Man, I like the way you talk!!!!!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
May 23rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
I voted NO mainly because after losing the first game to LSU the crash you hear will be the Appy team and the fans of Appy crashing to earth.It's all I hear is just how great ASU is,the loss to LSU will shoot you down from cloud 9.--:( The team will lose 3 games for the year.xcoffeex xbowx xbowx

13 and 3 wouldn't be bad.....xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

KAUMASS
May 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
I think App. State will make a run again. I think they come up a bit short, but I wouldn't be shocked if they made the title game. I personally have my eye on Villanova as a possible contender this coming year. They beat Delaware last year, took UMass to 4 ot's and played Maryland tough as well. They have a lot of starters coming back.

SoCon48
May 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx Get real. Losing a game we're supposed to lose to LSU certainly won't cause the team and fans to come crashing down.
Everyone knows the season will be tough with everyone gunning for App and replacing 5 starters on O and 6 on D.

Any team who crashes after losing to the #1 FBS team in the nation doesn't have what it takes anyway.

The real challenges that matter will come in the SoCon and to some extent vs JMU. JMU will be a real tough opponent and the selection committee will look hard at it at season's end.xeyebrowx

The odds are definitely against App repeating the 4th time as national champs, but the season sure as heck won't be over with an opening loss to LSU. ASU lost to Kansas in '05 and..well you know the rest of the story.

rudy1648
May 23rd, 2008, 07:05 PM

Well,,,,ask JMU about miracles on the mountain. There is no way ASU should have won that playoff game last year,,,but it happened. I think to win ANY national championship, you have to have some luck somewhere. Three years ago, Williams was injured in last playoff game against Furman. He comes in when we are losing and leads team to first championship. Two years ago, Edwards comes in as a freshman and leads the team through an undefeated conference schedule and the championship game. At the same time Lynch breaks his arm, but still manages to get back in like 3 weeks to lead the team's defense and we win again. Last year, the JMU game. So, miracles do happen. Maybe again this year.

rudy1648
May 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
actually it's the kicker not punter

I think he is saying after the 2008 season, which is the one coming up. We lost the place kicker this past season (2007). And this is something that a lot of people have not mentioned. Losing Rauch could be a very important missing part. Everyone remembers Lynch blocking and returning the field goal at Mich, but they forget that is was the 3 points by Rauch that won the game. He kicked that firld goal with a huge amount of pressure on him. I don't know who the kicker for this up coming season is,,but I hope he is as dependable as Rauch.

Grizo406
May 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I voted Yes, if Absolutely was a choice, I would have went with that!??!xwhistlex

Go on with your bad self, Mountaineers!

Eyes of Old Main
May 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
There are many reasons to say ASU will win again, but I'm betting on something happening to stop them. I see them going deep intothe playoffs, but losing in the semis or finals. Not that I think they won't be dominant, I just think time and luck will catch up with them.

hapapp
May 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM

My thoughts as well.

I think there are a number of question marks that no one can predict their resolution at this point. We have lost key players on the offensive side of the ball. I believe Devon Moore is more than capable but we have to wait and see if he can handle the load as the top dog at RB. I don't think we can discount the loss of the DBs, not to mention the leadership of people like Lynch, Brown, Richardson and Elder.

We have always will have a chance with AE at the helm, but I think it will be unlikely that we win #4.

crunifan
May 23rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
#3 did.

http://images.townnews.com/jeffersonpost.com/content/articles/2007/11/30/sports/sports02.jpg

Hell, number one did.

It just happened a little sooner in the game. It was not a fun third quarter.

Appaholic
May 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
tsk, tsk, tsk. ASU won the game, they were the ones that caused the fumble. Besides it would have taken a FG to win it, which isn't a given.

Yeah....just ask Montana....xwhistlex

SoCon48
May 24th, 2008, 08:32 AM
It's like toss up on PTI, App or the field.

The odds are unbelievably stacked against this, and if I had to choose, I would say no. I still don't consider us as dominant as the YSU and GSU teams from the 80's and 90's, but maybe that all will change.

Who do I want to win: App. What is my bet: the field

The selection committee..or chairman...stacked the deck against a 3rd N Championship for App..I hate to see what they'll do for the 4th.xrulesx

SoCon48
May 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM
My thoughts as well.

I think there are a number of question marks that no one can predict their resolution at this point. We have lost key players on the offensive side of the ball. I believe Devon Moore is more than capable but we have to wait and see if he can handle the load as the top dog at RB. I don't think we can discount the loss of the DBs, not to mention the leadership of people like Lynch, Brown, Richardson and Elder.

We have always will have a chance with AE at the helm, but I think it will be unlikely that we win #4.

It's rare that a team with only 5 or 6 starters returning and losing 3 or 4 to pro ball 9in FCS) equal the previous year's success. But we'll see.

ASU
May 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Even if they had kicked a Field Goal.....we have scored touchdowns in about 26 seconds several times......would probably just have taken it down the field and re-scored. The whole reason that they were in that position was their ability to hold onto the football so much. Certainly we had a really good chance of getting it into FG range and negating any FG they might have scored.....IF they could have kicked it in so close without it being blocked.
So many "IF's" but JMU thinks that they messed up, instead of having the ball knocked out of their hands. Thinking that would have won the game would normally be true with so little time left, but they have to remember who they were playing.

Jerbearasu
May 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM
There are many reasons to say ASU will win again, but I'm betting on something happening to stop them. I see them going deep intothe playoffs, but losing in the semis or finals. Not that I think they won't be dominant, I just think time and luck will catch up with them.

I agree that I don't think they will win it all again but if they made it to the finals I don't see them losing there. With the Championship game held on a shortened week and all of the festivities that go on with the championship there really is an advantage of having done it before. You know what to expect so you are able to concentrate on the game moreso...

mathman
May 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM
The program is on a roll. It will take another program that's on a Roehl to do it. xcoolx

It will take another dominant team with a style of play that 'counters' ASU's style. Strength, quickness, athleticism, and legitimate talent at key positions -- as well as an extremely balanced attack. Power running, finesse running, ultra-confident quarterback, bruising & quick defense -- with great coaching -- and some luck.

It will also need to be a program that has its own swagger, the kind of swagger that has been earned through years of its own success.

Who has that?
I think LSU has a chance...but I doubt it. xwhistlex I pick ASU. xbowx

ASU
May 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I think LSU has a chance...but I doubt it. xwhistlex I pick ASU. xbowx

I do not really think LSU has much of a chance.

Syntax Error
May 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
xhomerx

phillyAPP
May 25th, 2008, 08:46 AM
xhomerx

I have always hated Kool Aid. But this ride that APP has had for 3 years makes me very thirsty. I think i am starting to like Kool aid. Miracles just keep happening. App is beatable and that is why I think they will do it again. Loses have always focused the team and coaches and YES I think the team is much deeper this year and will be better all around. The KoolAid is crazy. I am very sorry for drinking the juice but APP Football made me do it. The Philly side of me always knows we are going to be let down but I am in APP country now and drinking the KoolAid from Boone.

Ask Bobby Bozzo's(DT) dad, they are from North Jersey. His first game they beat Michigan. Bozzo had 4 tackles and played awesome then went on to win a National Championship. He drives 1280 miles round trip to see every home game and he is amazed by what happens on the mountain.

I guess I have had too much KoolAid and say until we lose in the playoffs we will win another Championship(shaking my head).

I still respect others who haven't had the juice because the odds are against APP doing it again.

SideLine Shooter
May 25th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I have always hated Kool Aid. But this ride that APP has had for 3 years makes me very thirsty. I think i am starting to like Kool aid. Miracles just keep happening. App is beatable and that is why I think they will do it again. Loses have always focused the team and coaches and YES I think the team is much deeper this year and will be better all around. The KoolAid is crazy. I am very sorry for drinking the juice but APP Football made me do it. The Philly side of me always knows we are going to be let down but I am in APP country now and drinking the KoolAid from Boone.

Ask Bobby Bozzo's(DT) dad, they are from North Jersey. His first game they beat Michigan. Bozzo had 4 tackles and played awesome then went on to win a National Championship. He drives 1280 miles round trip to see every home game and he is amazed by what happens on the mountain.

I guess I have had too much KoolAid and say until we lose in the playoffs we will win another Championship(shaking my head).

I still respect others who haven't had the juice because the odds are against APP doing it again.

Testify Brother, Testify!!!!!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xdizzyx

udchuck
May 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=SoCon48;957597]xrolleyesx xrolleyesx Get real. Losing a game we're supposed to lose to LSU certainly won't cause the team and fans to come crashing down.
Everyone knows the season will be tough with everyone gunning for App and replacing 5 starters on O and 6 on D.

Any team who crashes after losing to the #1 FBS team in the nation doesn't have what it takes anyway.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My point is that most Appy fans and the Team are under the illusion that the Appy team is better than LSU.xnonox I realize you still must get behind the team and rightly so.xthumbsupx Most of these guys (from what I read) think the world will crash under the weight of your team.xnonox My point is when LSU comes out and kicks the stuffing out of the Appy team ,you guys will come down from cloud 9.xnodx
What's this crap on losing players? 5 on O and 6 on D. ALL College teams lose players due to graduation,so your remark doesn't hold water. xthumbsupx

blackfordpu
May 25th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I would like to say yes but the odds are eventually going to catch up to them. I think the ride ends, though in a great game, this season.

SoCon48
May 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=SoCon48;957597]xrolleyesx xrolleyesx Get real. Losing a game we're supposed to lose to LSU certainly won't cause the team and fans to come crashing down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My point is that most Appy fans and the Team are under the illusion that the Appy team is better than LSU.xnonox I realize you still must get behind the team and rightly so.xthumbsupx Most of these guys (from what I read) think the world will crash under the weight of your team.xnonox My point is when LSU comes out and kicks the stuffing out of the Appy team ,you guys will come down from cloud 9.xnodx
What's this crap on losing players? 5 on O and 6 on D. ALL College teams lose players due to graduation,so your remark doesn't hold water. xthumbsupx

"My point is that most Appy fans and the Team are under the illusion that the Appy team is better than LSU."

I don't know where you got that "most" App fans from. A few maybe. Some think we can beat LSU but aren't saying we will. Others think the odds are against us, but so were they last year. Many who don't think we can hang within 40 or 50 are just ignorant of recent history as we were within 14 late in the 3rd quarter two years ago in Baton Rouge against the same roudy atmosphere. The "most" you really should categorizing just feel that we can possibly keep the game within striking distance of the Tigers and hope for a couple breaks in the end. Now many do feel that Armanti Edwards will be the best QB on the field. That certainly isn't saying App is better than LSU. We, for the most part, just feel we can play with that bunch from LSU.

"What's this crap on losing players? 5 on O and 6 on D. ALL College teams lose players due to graduation,so your remark doesn't hold water." xthumbsupx

You really need to find a new hobby before saying "crap" and doesn't hold water" because college football may just not be your thing. If you've ever noticed, the expert writers put a lot of stock on returning starters and returning letterman in predicting who will be conference and national stqandings. This especially holds true for early in the season (when App faces some of it's most critical challenges, opponent wise). Most contenders unless loaded up with JuCo transfers return 7, 8 or more starters on each side of the ball (as we did last year). Our losses weren't just starters, they were stars...4 on track for the NFL and have had major roles in the last 2 and even all 3 National Championship runs. And last time I checked, 6is over half of a starting lineup on one side of the ball.
xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Maybe you should venture over to the MMB to get a better sample of the ASU outlook.

AppMan
May 25th, 2008, 05:21 PM
The odds are obviously against it, but I wouldn't bet against the Mountaineers. I seem to remember everyone signing ASU's death certificate after Richie Williams graduated. No doubt ASU lost several exceptional players, but there are a lot of very talented players waiting for their chance. Besides, as long as #14 is in the game, the Apps have got a shot.

GreatAppSt
May 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM
[
My point is that most Appy fans and the Team are under the illusion that the Appy team is better than LSU.

uhuhxrolleyesx

Skjellyfetti
May 25th, 2008, 06:38 PM
My point is that most Appy fans and the Team are under the illusion that the Appy team is better than LSU.

Uhm. Don't really care about the Appalachian fans... but where do you get the impression that the team is overconfident and thinks they are better than LSU??

Go...gate
May 25th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I picked 'em to do it again.

TheValleyRaider
May 25th, 2008, 11:10 PM
The selection committee..or chairman...stacked the deck against a 3rd N Championship for App..I hate to see what they'll do for the 4th.xrulesx

Please tell me you're kidding, right? xeyebrowx

EmeryZach
May 25th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I really hope someone takes them off their high horse. I'm getting bored of watching the hillbilly kids rush the field and smile into the camera with one tooth.

AppMan
May 26th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I really hope someone takes them off their high horse. I'm getting bored of watching the hillbilly kids rush the field and smile into the camera with one tooth.

Man that is clever. Did you come up with it all by yourself?

SideLine Shooter
May 26th, 2008, 07:06 AM

That is exactly the type of comment we expect from the yankee a$$holes that don't even show up when there team is playing for the national championship..xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Appguy
May 26th, 2008, 07:29 AM

it's ok, I expect that attitude from Fans that riot on campus after a NC game loss

udchuck
May 26th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Uhm. Don't really care about the Appalachian fans... but where do you get the impression that the team is overconfident and thinks they are better than LSU??

xlolx Read the 1038 posts on the Tread ( LSU to play Appy St.)xlolx ;)

udchuck
May 26th, 2008, 07:47 AM

xsmhx xsmhx Not cool Dude,Also not too bright.xnonox xnonox

udchuck
May 26th, 2008, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=udchuck;958339]

"My point is that most Appy fans and the Team are under the illusion that the Appy team is better than LSU."

I don't know where you got that "most" App fans from. A few maybe. Some think we can beat LSU but aren't saying we will. Others think the odds are against us, but so were they last year. Many who don't think we can hang within 40 or 50 are just ignorant of recent history as we were within 14 late in the 3rd quarter two years ago in Baton Rouge against the same roudy atmosphere. The "most" you really should categorizing just feel that we can possibly keep the game within striking distance of the Tigers and hope for a couple breaks in the end. Now many do feel that Armanti Edwards will be the best QB on the field. That certainly isn't saying App is better than LSU. We, for the most part, just feel we can play with that bunch from LSU.

"What's this crap on losing players? 5 on O and 6 on D. ALL College teams lose players due to graduation,so your remark doesn't hold water." xthumbsupx

You really need to find a new hobby before saying "crap" and doesn't hold water" because college football may just not be your thing. If you've ever noticed, the expert writers put a lot of stock on returning starters and returning letterman in predicting who will be conference and national stqandings. This especially holds true for early in the season (when App faces some of it's most critical challenges, opponent wise). Most contenders unless loaded up with JuCo transfers return 7, 8 or more starters on each side of the ball (as we did last year). Our losses weren't just starters, they were stars...4 on track for the NFL and have had major roles in the last 2 and even all 3 National Championship runs. And last time I checked, 6is over half of a starting lineup on one side of the ball.
xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Maybe you should venture over to the MMB to get a better sample of the ASU outlook.

Listen fella,I was following football (College and Pro )while you were still rolling around in your old mans balls. So don't start up with that Expert Writers Crap. I made more Money betting against them talking heads,then you will ever believe.
You make me laugh,your players were STARS ?? How about the other ???Players that were drafted ?and the other ??? that were not drafted ,--what are they Chopped Liver ?
Maybe you should venture off the mountain and check out the other College programs,you just might realize that most of the other programs have the same problem replacing players year after year.:D

DRocksDad
May 26th, 2008, 08:31 AM
WHO CARES?

udchuck
May 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM
WHO CARES?

I think you do.:D

udchuck
May 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM

xsmhx xsmhx Not Cool Dude,Also not too bright.xnonox xnonox

Saint3333
May 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Go burn down the hole of town umass is in... xnonono2x. I feel sorry for you, from New Jersey and now in Amherst I'd be bitter too.

citdog
May 26th, 2008, 10:44 AM

damn yankee sewer scum

phillyAPP
May 26th, 2008, 10:51 AM
damn yankee sewer scum

lol, Lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing, Dog.

Why were you so gentle with him ?

Aho_Old_Guy
May 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Didn't vote ... too superstitious. If I had to vote I'd take the 'field'. First off:

1) They have to make the playoffs (not a given).

The SoCon is tuff this year. First place will be 5-2 (again) and a logjam of 4-3 teams (again). The good news is Appalachian plays The Citadel, Furman, Wofford & Elon at home. The bad news is Appalachian plays The Citadel, Furman, Wofford & Elon at home. There is a loss in there somewhere - two losses at home would be devastating.

2) The Statesboro Blues

The second of two road games in a row. JMU is big (but early). This one is bigger. GSU is gonna be tuff (and then Furman & Wofford at home the following weeks).

3) Defense-Defense-Defense (and Special Teams-Special Teams-Special Teams)

The ""D"" needs to step up, Dexter has to be replaced and a little KO coverage would go a long way to making Appalachian fans happy. I'd like to see a big year from D.J. Smith at LB. btw - App signed an 1,800 pound kicker from Georgia. If he can't kick maybe he can anchor the D-Line :)

4) Need a running back to take the pressure off #14.

Someone needs to step up. KR left some big shoes to fill. If it ain't Moore we might see what Rod Chisholm (Charlotte Independence) has got.

5) Could 7-4 (4-3) make the playoffs ???

I don't see Appalachian getting the benefit of the doubt at 4-3 in the SoCon. (Not that I would believe in App bias or anything)

I think 5-2 is worthy of a slot and a 1st round home game. It's off to the races if that is the case ...

AppFan56
May 26th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I voted yes. I've only been around for one championship (my son is a frosh). Sure we've lost some character players but there are kids on the team that learned a great deal from being in the same locker room as a Lynch, Suttle, Touchstone, Elder, etc. There are kids who started the year as boys and ended the year as men (see especially the D-Line). They have the character to do it again. They never quit in the James Madison game which enabled them to hang in there and win. Even more impressive to me was how they acted when they lost - they could have easily won the Georgia Southern game but their last drive fell short. They were in the Wofford game until the end as well, but I didn't hear one excuse from any player about why they lost. No one blamed the weather, the refs, injuries, etc. They just worked hard all week to get ready for the next game. Character and experience gives them a shot for four in a row even though the odds are against them. Not to mention Armanti Edwards a great big game QB.

AppFan61
May 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I'm with you Boz. The 2008 version of the Mountaineers looks pretty good. Overall, as good as 2007, or better. 2009 will be down right scary.

uofmman1122
May 26th, 2008, 10:52 PM
2009 will be down right scary.Why? Because Armanti will be a Senior? xrolleyesx

Skjellyfetti
May 27th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Why? Because Armanti will be a Senior? xrolleyesx

We'll have alot of our starters and guys that had a lot of playing time this past year as Juniors and Seniors in '09. Too lazy to look list them all, but feel free to if you are interested. xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
May 27th, 2008, 12:33 AM
We'll have alot of our starters and guys that had a lot of playing time this past year as Juniors and Seniors in '09. Too lazy to look list them all, but feel free to if you are interested. xthumbsupx95% of Griz nation thought the same about 2007, considering our run in 2006, plus getting Lex back. Not saying you shouldn't be optimistic, I believe every school should be optimistic about every season, but sometimes, ***** happens. :p

And I may very well check out the ASU roster for the next few years. I hope you do the same for the Montana roster. It's gonna reach a boiling point in the next few years, and we're gonna end up playing each other. xlolxxthumbsupx

Grizalltheway
May 27th, 2008, 12:45 AM
95% of Griz nation thought the same about 2007, considering our run in 2006, plus getting Lex back. Not saying you shouldn't be optimistic, I believe every school should be optimistic about every season, but sometimes, ***** happens. :p

And I may very well check out the ASU roster for the next few years. I hope you do the same for the Montana roster. It's gonna reach a boiling point in the next few years, and we're gonna end up playing each other. xlolxxthumbsupx

Especially when you have Booby Hack as your coach. xcoffeex

T-Dog
May 27th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I would really really really want another one. xprayx

That would mean I would graduate next spring having won a championship every year I attended. :D So far I'm 3 for 3. The odds are against us, but they have been for the last two years. We've won every championship with different personnel and a different way to win each time.

-05, defense clamps down in 2nd half and offense does enough
-06, steady combo of explosive offense and stingy defense
-07, go buck crazy on offense and allow as few points as possible

I think it's possible; on whether will it happen, I have no idea.

Well definitely make the playoffs. As Woody Paige on PTI says, LOOK AT THE SCHEDULE! The schedule I think is very favorable as we get some of the tougher conference teams at home (Wofford, Furman, Elon, El Citadel) and we get the (anticipated) conference bottom-dwellers on the road (Western, Nooga, Samford). Couple that with Jacksonville and Presby at home, we could have nine wins right there. Playing at GaSo will be the toughest conference road team by far and at JMU will be tough (and LSU of course by default). I say 9-3 is my worst case scenario. If we win at either JMU and GaSo (preferably GaSo), I think we'll be in-line for a home-laden playoff road which would help our odds.

With our schedule, I think it helps our odds from the start drastically, especially the conference schedule

Syntax Error
May 27th, 2008, 01:45 AM
95% of Griz nation thought the same about 2007, considering our run in 2006, plus getting Lex back. Not saying you shouldn't be optimistic, I believe every school should be optimistic about every season, but sometimes, ***** happens. :p

And I may very well check out the ASU roster for the next few years. I hope you do the same for the Montana roster. It's gonna reach a boiling point in the next few years, and we're gonna end up playing each other. xlolxxthumbsupxYou are one of the best members here mman, keep up the spirit!

Death Dealer
May 27th, 2008, 04:03 AM
If Armanti get's hurt, I don't think there will be a huge drop off. The freshmen coming up played in the same spread option offense. I watched videos on youtube and this guy plays exactly like armanti.

Granted he hasn't stepped a foot on campus and probably not off his high school campus, but seeing the videos its's hard to doubt.

Armanti came in as a freshmen and did what only five other players in college football have ever done, what is to think it can't happen again?You answered your own question quite well. Odds are heavily against you. Not saying it can't happen, just that the odds are lower.

Saint3333
May 27th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Why? Because Armanti will be a Senior? xrolleyesx

Reread an earlier post...

OLDMAIN80
May 27th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Just going with the odds on this one. Hard as hell to do anything like this for four years in a row.

spelunker64
May 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Well since we're eligible now... :D

ericsaid
May 27th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I saw JMU has better odds than NDSU and from what i've read from the players they have returning, possibly better then App's.

That will probably be decided when they play and again in the title game when they will play again.

AppMan
May 28th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I'm with you Boz. The 2008 version of the Mountaineers looks pretty good. Overall, as good as 2007, or better. 2009 will be down right scary.

Jerry Moore probably decides to retire from coaching following the last game of 2009. The mere thought of watching 5, 14, 19, 20, 40, 46, 58, 61, 82, 91, 96, & 98 walk across that stage and pick up diplomas will bring him to tears.

SoCon48
May 28th, 2008, 11:39 AM
If App survives at JMU, then I will say "Yes!"

But not until.

ericsaid
May 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM
If App survives at JMU, then I will say "Yes!"

But not until.

ABC HDTV GAME!!!!!xbowx

Joke but come on, atleast live ESPNU coverage would be nice.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 28th, 2008, 03:54 PM
ericsaid - strange name for an Arab... Eric... anyway, I digress!

From what I understand, a TV deal is in the works. I have no idea with which broadcasting network, however, JMU wants and intends for this game to remain scheduled at 7PM! xthumbsupx

They better damn well keep it there too. Nothing like football under the lights in the fall! xbowx

ericsaid
May 28th, 2008, 04:07 PM

From what I understand, a TV deal is in the works. I have no idea with which broadcasting network, however, JMU wants and intends for this game to remain scheduled at 7PM! xthumbsupx

They better damn well keep it there too. Nothing like football under the lights in the fall! xbowx

I agree with the uner the lights thing and ericsaid......but

I didn't mean change the time of the game, some games that espn broadcasts they will play the game and record it then play it later that night, i want it played live at 7 o clock on T.V.

SoCon48
May 28th, 2008, 06:25 PM

Makes no diff to me. I watched, played in, or coached thousands of high school games at night. Colorful football Saturday afternoons are the greatest.
Get to see a huge front page pic and write-up in Sunday's papers rather than simple AP articals.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Can't wait to be there, we have 5 going up to the game to meet up with some of my wife's family (they went to JMU). Unfortunately for them, I bought the tickets through Yosef, so they're in the App section. I told them, no damn streamers. :)

McNeese75
May 28th, 2008, 09:32 PM

xthumbsupx

AlphaSigMD
May 28th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Anybody know if there are there still tickets available for the ASU-JMU game? Or are they already sold out?

I found some room in my schedule. Plus, its only a 5 hour drive as opposed to 11.

SoCon48
May 29th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Can't wait to be there, we have 5 going up to the game to meet up with some of my wife's family (they went to JMU). Unfortunately for them, I bought the tickets through Yosef, so they're in the App section. I told them, no damn streamers. :)

Just a thought. Are those streamers flamable? xeyebrowx If so, they could be like giant fuses running back 6 or 7 rows.

ASUMountaineer
May 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Anybody know if there are there still tickets available for the ASU-JMU game? Or are they already sold out?

I found some room in my schedule. Plus, its only a 5 hour drive as opposed to 11.

Hey T-bag, call the ticket office. I don't know if it's sold out, but that would be the best place probably. Feel free, if you make it, to tailgate with us. J's whole family will practically be there.

ASUMountaineer
May 29th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Just a thought. Are those streamers flamable? xeyebrowx If so, they could be like giant fuses running back 6 or 7 rows.

That's true. I don't know...maybe we'll have to find out. xthumbsupx

ericsaid
May 29th, 2008, 08:43 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xbeerchugx xsmileyclapx