PDA

View Full Version : UMASS JMU THREAD

Sam Adams
October 9th, 2005, 05:29 AM
6 days remain until the major A10 showdown of the season when UMass and JMU hook up in Amherst on Saturday. JMU is #4 in Total Offense behind the talented Justin Rascati. UMass is #1 in Total Defense (UMass defense has only given up 15 pts in 5 games).

Something has got to give next Saturday in Western Massachusetts' Happy Valley. Who will emerge as the A10 leader the Minutemen or the Dukes?

Tribe4SF
October 9th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Who will emerge as the A10 leader the Minutemen or the Dukes?

The Dukes. UMass now faces an offense that has balance as needed and features athletes at a different level than what they have faced previously. I think UMass will hold JMU to fewer points than their average (probably by half), but JMU's D will also hold UMass below their average (probably by half). UMass has not shown me enough offense to make me believe they can be successful against the Dukes.

Predicted score: JMU 23 UMass 13

JMU Duke Dog
October 10th, 2005, 05:24 PM
http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stats/2/Notes.pdf

THE SERIES
Massachusetts holds a 6-4-1 lead in the series and a 4-1-1 edge in games on its home field. JMU won 28-7 last season in Harrisonburg, and Massachusetts won 31-26 in 2003 in the last series meeting in Amherst, Mass.

The teams first met in 1986 at JMU to open their seasons and played four times before they began competing together in the Yankee Conference (now Atlantic 10) in 1993.

JMU’s 21-15 win in 1987 in Amherst in the teams’ first meeting there is its only win on the Minutemen’s field. The teams tied 28-28 at Massachusetts in 1989, the last time JMU played a tied game. Massachusetts edged JMU 28-26 in Amherst in 1998 during its Division I-AA national championship season, and JMU won 28-7 last season at home during its national title campaign.

Last season’s game was JMU’s largest margin of victory in the series (21 points) while Massachusetts twice has won series meetings on its field by 23-point margins (in 1993 and 2001).

JMU is overdue for victory in Amherst but it will definitely be an extremely difficult challenge up in MA this upcoming weekend.

blur2005
October 10th, 2005, 06:35 PM
JMU 24, UMass 20

Justin Rascati will do something crazy late in the game to get the Dukes in position to win, allowing the RBs to run a late TD in to win. I'd say we're due for a close A-10 game after the first two were blowouts. Playing the only other undefeated team in conference play tells me this is the close one for sure.

Tod
October 10th, 2005, 06:40 PM
6 days remain until the major A10 showdown of the season when UMass and JMU hook up in Amherst on Saturday. JMU is #4 in Total Offense behind the talented Justin Rascati. UMass is #1 in Total Defense (UMass defense has only given up 15 pts in 5 games).

Something has got to give next Saturday in Western Massachusetts' Happy Valley. Who will emerge as the A10 leader the Minutemen or the Dukes?

UMass has given up 29 points, 17 to Colgate.

blur2005
October 10th, 2005, 06:42 PM
SHHHH...I don't think they want that game to count. But it just might be comparable to our Coastal game in terms of fluke/not showing up to play/expecting to win easily/home team wants the upset. But the math is still bad, because they've given up 12 besides that game. :confused:

Maroon&White
October 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM

UMass has yes, but he was talking about the defense. They gave up 3 to Colgate.

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Please tell me how our D has given up points that their D scored? Our D has given up just 15 points all season:

6 vs Richmond
3 vs Colgate
0 vs Albany
6 vs URI
0 vs Northeastern

Old Cage
October 10th, 2005, 06:58 PM
A possible major consideration is that our field is a quagmire after 10 inches (!) of rain over the weekend. Northeastern was helpless during the storm and only a third or so of the rain total had fallen by the end of the game.

I will take the UMass D anytime in our league, and the forecast for EVERY DAY THIS WEEK (including Saturday) is for more rain.

The points that Colgate scored were helped more than a tad by an eight turnover fiasco. We have changed to a ball control qb who has made next to no mistakes.

I admit to not knowing much about this JMU team (as the Red Sox, Patriots, and UMass have all demanded attention), but I would be more worried in this weather if their name was the Ducks.

Also, we have this major advantage:
http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/genrel/101005aaa.html

:o

Tod
October 10th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Please tell me how our D has given up points that their D scored? Our D has given up just 15 points all season:

6 vs Richmond
3 vs Colgate
0 vs Albany
6 vs URI
0 vs Northeastern

Whoops! I stand corrected. you better hope your O stops helping their D quite so much, huh? :D :D

umassfan
October 10th, 2005, 07:19 PM
UMass is 4-1-1 vs JMU in Amherst

Mathews is 1-3 vs UMass

Brown is 4-1 vs JMU

All this means nothing sat but means they havent enjoyed their trip north very much.

JMU Duke Dog
October 10th, 2005, 09:24 PM
JMU has a chance to enjoy their trip to Amherst if they are confident but not overconfident. JMU also needs to come out with the same intensity as they have ever since the loss at Coastal Carolina. This game is the most important game of the season for JMU.

ngineer
October 10th, 2005, 10:18 PM
At least the leaves will be peaking for the tourists. I'm inclined to go with defense in a showdown like this. Possible showers this weekend in the East.
I'm going with the Minutemen in another 'upset' in an upsetting year. 27-21.

Sam Adams
October 11th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Tough game to call but it will be a good one to watch.

One factor that may not be appreciated is that UMass Offense is starting to gel and produce points as the Offensive line has recovered from pre-season injuries. Question: Will the big UMass Tackle and Captain Colin Stoetzel return this week? He is a difference maker.

JMU = National Champions and if I were a betting man - I would say JMU will probably win this thing by a touchdown. However, UMass Defense is much improved and if they can turn the dukes over that will be a key to an upset from UMass.

Can't wait for the game!

JMU Duke Dog
October 11th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Here is an article from Harrisonburg's Daily News-Record:

Mickey: Big Week Posted
JMU gets ready for an A-10 showdown with UMass.

By Mike Barber

Mickey: Big Week

No matter who wins Saturday’s game, James Madison football coach Mickey Matthews expects both his Dukes and Massachusetts to receive bids to the Division I-AA playoffs.

But the winner clearly has the inside track on the Atlantic 10’s automatic berth.

"We’ve told our players all along that we’d know after the month of October how good we are," Matthews said Monday at his weekly press conference.

Two games into October, the Dukes (4-1 overall, 2-0 in the A-10) are looking pretty good. Madison, the defending I-AA champion, moved up to No. 4 in The Sports Network’s poll after beating Maine 38-2 Saturday at Bridgeforth Stadium.

The weekend before, JMU ripped Hofstra, another A-10 foe, 42-10 in New York.

But Saturday, the Dukes face their toughest matchup of the season, a noon game in Amherst against No. 13 Massachusetts (4-1, 2-0), Matthews’ preseason pick as the best team in the A-10.

Still, Matthews said it’s too early to say this game will decide the Atlantic 10 title.

"There are too many other good teams," Matthews said. "I think it’s the two teams leading the conference right now, you could say that. But I think there’s too many good football teams left to say it’s the conference championship game."

Like JMU, the Minutemen got tripped up early, losing a non-conference road game. UMass fell 17-14 to Colgate on Sept. 10, the same day JMU lost 31-27 to Coastal Carolina.

"I thought both teams had a chance to come into this game undefeated," Matthews said. "Both of us didn’t do that. Both of us stubbed our toe."

On Monday, however, Matthews acknowledged that losing to Coastal might have sparked his team’s improved play in the last three weeks. Since the loss, JMU has won all three of its games by a combined score of 145-19 and opened conference play 2-0.

In the loss to Coastal Carolina, cornerback Adam Ford dropped a late interception that could have sealed a win for JMU.

"I think we could have accomplished the same things we’ve accomplished if we had caught that lost interception and came home a winner and realized we dodged a bullet down there," Matthews said. "But by the same token maybe the atmosphere in our locker room, the atmosphere on the airplane coming home, the atmosphere on Sunday, probably rings pretty loud in our players’ minds. They did not want to have that happen to them again."

Matthews said the personality of this year’s team makes him think a loss might have been just what the doctor ordered.

"With this group of guys, it probably wasn’t a bad thing, now that I’ve been around them," Matthews said. "I’ve been around some groups where we could have handled dodging the bullet, but with this group we probably needed to lose a game."

Matthews said that since losing to the Chanticleers, the Dukes have played with the fire and intensity they had during last season’s 13-2 championship season. Against Coastal, JMU was lackadaisical.

"I didn’t mind some of the mess-ups we had. What I was concerned with was our effort in the ballgame," Matthews said. "I have not even addressed effort now in the last three weeks. The last three weeks, the guys have played hard."

Another thing Matthews won’t be addressing this week is injuries – not publicly at least.

Not wanting to give Massachusetts any extra information on the ailing Dukes, Matthews said he won’t provide injury updates on his banged-up team.

"There’ll be no comments on injuries the entire week," Matthews said. "Just too big a week. Obviously, I don’t want UMass to know who’s healthy and who’s not healthy."

Matthews said that while opposing coaches often scan the internet for news about JMU, he doesn’t bother doing the same.

"I don’t even know which newspaper they get. I should do that, but I don’t," Matthews said.

JMU has the A-10’s top scoring offense, averaging 45.6 points per game. The Minutemen lead the conference in scoring and total defense, yielding 5.8 points and 162 yards per game. JMU is second (10 ppg and 233.2 ypg).

The Dukes have the league’s top-ranked rushing defense, giving up 53.4 yards per game. Massachusetts is second (80.4)

Massachusetts is No. 1 in pass defense, surrendering 81.6 yards per game through the air. Part of its success there is All-American safety Shannon James. James has three interceptions this season and ran one back 35 yards for a touchdown Saturday against Northeastern.

And the Minutemen like to blitz. Junior strong safety James Ihedigbo leads the A-10 in sacks with 6.5.

"We blitz, but I don’t think anyone in the United States blitzes as much as UMass," Matthews said.

JMU Duke Dog
October 11th, 2005, 07:52 AM
http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=33105

National Statistical Rankings Out of 116 I-AA Teams

Rush Offense
JMU 7
UMass 62

Pass Offense
JMU 48
UMass 41

Total Offense
JMU 8
UMass 50

Scoring Offense
JMU 2
UMass 66

Rush Defense
JMU 2
UMass 8

Pass Efficiency Defense
JMU 35
UMass 1

Total Defense
JMU 4
UMass 1

Scoring Defense
JMU 3
UMass 1

Net Punting
JMU 2
UMass 7

Punt Returns
JMU 25
UMass 96

Kickoff Returns
JMU 42
UMass 34

Turnover Margin
JMU 15
UMass 76

JMUfan2008
October 11th, 2005, 08:43 AM
so by the stats JMU should win this one...

TypicalTribe
October 11th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Still think the forgotten storyline of this game is the precarious position that the loser will find itself in, i.e. two losses with five games left to play. JMU (with only three D-I wins) would have to regroup and face a desperate Delaware team on the road the following weekend. UMass would be in the ugly position of being 4-2 and facing 4 of 5 road games to close the season, including trips to Maine, Delaware, Army and Hofstra. Ouch.

As much as it's a battle for the conference lead, it has huge implications for the A-10 race down the line. A lot on the line in week 7.

boozeANDammo
October 11th, 2005, 01:27 PM
However, UMass Defense is much improved...

Yikes! Ya'll were strong last year, just spent too much time on the field. This too is what I'm keeping an eye on... defense generated turnovers. With the two best defensive squads in the A-10 going at it... gotta think this is where the game will turn.

Sohhhhh tempted to fly up there for this one.

umassfan
October 11th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Yikes! Ya'll were strong last year, just spent too much time on the field. This too is what I'm keeping an eye on... defense generated turnovers. With the two best defensive squads in the A-10 going at it... gotta think this is where the game will turn.

Sohhhhh tempted to fly up there for this one.
This year we are deeper.... with that said...we are able to be on the field the same amount of time but not as tired like last season. We can go two deep in nearly every poss and have someone on the field with playing exp. Not many teams can say that.

DB_Atlantic10
October 11th, 2005, 02:44 PM
My biggest concern for this game is the field condition, which should play into UMass's favor.

Another factor to consider is the defenses of both teams. UMass is only a few categories ahead of JMU in total defense. This can be because JMU's offense has been so efficient in scoring, the opposing teams have spent much more time on the field, which is scewing the stats somewhat. On the other hand, UMass's offense, although talented, doesn't appear to be at the same level as of yet.

So the question is, how will UMass's defense hold up in the long run with sustained JMU drives and their huge front linemen? Which poison will UMass try to stop, if they blitz as often as in previous games, will their secondary hold up to JMUs multiple passing attack. During the Maine game, JMU contacted with 8 different receivers. Also, has anyone actually challenged UMass as of yet in their previous opponents?

Aother question, can JMU be as explosive in muddy conditions against the top ranked defense? My guess is this will most definately be a nail bitter, but neither team will more than likely not score over 14 points. This could come down to special teams play and turnovers.

blur2005
October 11th, 2005, 02:45 PM
so by the stats JMU should win this one...
It's a bummer that stats mean jack...see the Delaware game last year...we were outgained by 300 yards, and still won.

blur2005
October 11th, 2005, 02:48 PM
The more I look at this, the more I want to say this game will be like the 10-6 Hofstra/Delaware game. Considering the weather and field conditions, it could be 7-6 or something. But I think the fact JMU has such a powerful rushing attack will allow us to win. We've won in poor field conditions...just look at last year's National Championship game...then again it wasn't raining.

JMU Duke Dog
October 11th, 2005, 02:52 PM
We've won in poor field conditions...just look at last year's National Championship game...then again it wasn't raining.

Remember the conditions at Zable Stadium in Williamsburg when JMU won in last year's national semifinal game? There was mud everywhere!

umassfan
October 11th, 2005, 02:54 PM
My biggest concern for this game is the field condition, which should play into UMass's favor.

Another factor to consider is the defenses of both teams. UMass is only a few categories ahead of JMU in total defense. This can be because JMU's offense has been so efficient in scoring, the opposing teams have spent much more time on the field, which is scewing the stats somewhat. On the other hand, UMass's offense, although talented, doesn't appear to be at the same level as of yet.

So the question is, how will UMass's defense hold up in the long run with sustained JMU drives and their huge front linemen? Which poison will UMass try to stop, if they blitz as often as in previous games, will their secondary hold up to JMUs multiple passing attack. During the Maine game, JMU contacted with 8 different receivers. Also, has anyone actually challenged UMass as of yet in their previous opponents?

Aother question, can JMU be as explosive in muddy conditions against the top ranked defense? My guess is this will most definately be a nail bitter, but neither team will more than likely not score over 14 points. This could come down to special teams play and turnovers.
Amherst weather for the week (http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=01003&from=36hr_topnav_undeclared)

I figured I would start with the weather for the week... the field I do think helps UMass... we played on the same sloppy track a week ago vs NU so we know exactly what it is like... while we were playing on that field, JMU was playing on turf... that will help us out because it will take them a bit to get use to it.

If you look at the numbers more so then the ranks you will notice that most areas UMass is ahead by much larger amounts then you think. None of this will matter Sat exp on a sloppy track... It will all be about who holds on the the ball better. Here is a state that is of interest: of the 66 drives by the opposition, 35 have been three and out and only 23 have been for four or more plays. Therefore... we dont usually give up long drives.

boozeANDammo
October 11th, 2005, 02:58 PM
The more I look at this, the more I want to say this game will be like the 10-6 Hofstra/Delaware game. Considering the weather and field conditions, it could be 7-6 or something. But I think the fact JMU has such a powerful rushing attack will allow us to win. We've won in poor field conditions...just look at last year's National Championship game...then again it wasn't raining.

Field conditions will defintely help out UMass in that it will certainly cut down on our overall team speed. Bigger linemen help out in conditions as such and I definitely see us having trouble with their bigboys up front. Baylark *should* have a good game. That said, UMass will definitely have trouble with our bigboys as well. With the three headed monster back there with Banks, Fenner and Hines... long drives could really put a kink in UMass's defensive effort.

Clearly a really good game to sit back and watch. Ball control and TOP will certainly be keys in this game.

Hope that field drains and drys out a tad. :rolleyes:

umassfan
October 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Field conditions will defintely help out UMass in that it will certainly cut down on our overall team speed. Bigger linemen help out in conditions as such and I definitely see us having trouble with their bigboys up front. Baylark *should* have a good game. That said, UMass will definitely have trouble with our bigboys as well. With the three headed monster back there with Banks, Fenner and Hines... long drives could really put a kink in UMass's defensive effort.

Clearly a really good game to sit back and watch. Ball control and TOP will certainly be keys in this game.

Hope that field drains and drys out a tad. :rolleyes:
I dont know why you call it the three headed monster when really this year it has been just Banks and Fenner.

The field will not drain or dry out any because 1 it was built on a swamp and 2 it is going to rain all week till sunday.

DB_Atlantic10
October 11th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Therefore... we dont usually give up long drives.

My question here is, who of the offenses they've faced will compare to JMU's?

umassfan
October 11th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Therefore... we dont usually give up long drives.

My question here is, who of the offenses they've faced will compare to JMU's?
When we faced URI they averaged 500 yards a game and alot of points as well... We shut them down to 6 points and 250 yards.

boozeANDammo
October 11th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I dont know why you call it the three headed monster when really this year it has been just Banks and Fenner.

The field will not drain or dry out any because 1 it was built on a swamp and 2 it is going to rain all week till sunday.

I was being sarcastic. See the little blue face w/ rolling eyes? That's what that means UMassFan. :rolleyes:

Don't EVER leave Mr. Raymond Hines out of the equation. Ever. Banks + Hines + Fenner = 3 headed monster. Three different styles too! :nod:

umassfan
October 11th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I was being sarcastic. See the little blue face w/ rolling eyes? That's what that means UMassFan. :rolleyes:

Don't EVER leave Mr. Raymond Hines out of the equation. Ever. Banks + Hines + Fenner = 3 headed monster. Three different styles too! :nod:
I know your intention I was just giving you some heads up about the swamp part and rain part.... I am not the one whos leaving Hines out, your coach is.

boozeANDammo
October 11th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I know your intention I was just giving you some heads up about the swamp part and rain part.... I am not the one whos leaving Hines out, your coach is.

Believe what you want... the Minutemen will see all three backs.

umassfan
October 11th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Believe what you want... the Minutemen will see all three backs.
Thats why he got 0 carries last week vs Maine?

boozeANDammo
October 11th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Didn't need him and he was nursing an injury. He'll be ready to go Sat.

charliej
October 11th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Last year JMU came to Nova in a friggin MONSOON. :eek:

I was one of the few who actually stood in the pouring rain till the end of the game to watch Mr.Banks pound the,then rated #1, cat defense. He left a bigger impression on me than any other back all year. He didn't have great numbers,but no one else did either.He just pounded,getting yds 3-4 at a time.UMass is much like Nova early last year,good D not very much O.

I don't think the weather will bother the Dukes all that much,but this will be the best D either team has or will face in the regular season. Low scoring game ,JMU by about 10.

Sam Adams
October 11th, 2005, 07:12 PM
The Dukes are the defending champs. The Dukes are playing great football after some early trouble. They dominated a good Maine team. Maine had the #4 defense in the country until JMU ran over them. Hopefully UMass can just stay in the game and catch some McGuirk Magic.

JMU Duke Dog
October 11th, 2005, 09:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=uwire-umassmoorelostforrestofyea&prov=uwire&type=lgns

UMass' Moore lost for 'rest of year'
By Jeff Howe, Massachusetts Daily Collegian
October 11, 2005

(CSTV U-WIRE) AMHERST, Mass. -- The post-game press conference had been moving along smoothly. The players were telling jokes and laughing, the way they usually do after home wins.

But then it hit them, one sentence from their coach. All it took was five seconds, and the mood dimmed.

Four players on the Massachusetts football team -- strong safety James Ihedigbo, quarterback/wide receiver Tim Day, tailback R.J. Cobbs and free safety Shannon James -- all dropped their shoulders and hung their heads in unison when hearing the news about wide receiver J.J. Moore, who fractured his left ankle in the first quarter of their 27-0 win over Northeastern Saturday.

"We've lost him for the rest of the year," UMass coach Don Brown said. "He's out for six to eight weeks for sure."

The news was tough to swallow, even after hearing it for the second time, as Brown told the Minutemen of their teammate's fate in the locker room just a few minutes earlier.

"You can't replace J.J.," Cobbs said. "He stepped up his game a whole notch. He was so much more aggressive this year than last year, the way he plays the ball and goes up to get the ball, the way he blocks and what he does after the catch.

"It's really sad to see someone go down like that, especially one of our top receivers that we really, truly need in this program."

Moore was lined up to the left of quarterback Liam Coen, and he quickly cut in behind his blockers when the ball was snapped. Coen slung his pass out to the sophomore wideout, who was set up nicely on the screen play.

Moore took the ball and cut in a little more towards the middle of the field and gained 14 yards to the NU 28-yard line for a UMass first down.

But after getting hit awkwardly in the left leg by a Northeastern defender, he couldn't move off the field on his own power.

Moore finished his afternoon with that one catch.

He leads the Minutemen with 27 catches and 337 yards, and his two touchdown receptions tied him for the team lead with Rasheed Rancher.

Moore broke a UMass record when he caught 13 passes in the team's loss at Colgate on Sept. 10.

umassfan
October 12th, 2005, 07:14 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=uwire-umassmoorelostforrestofyea&prov=uwire&type=lgns

Yep thats been known and said many times... Now we will start two tall WRs vs you. Brandon London 6'4 and Rasheed Rancher 6'5.

JMU Duke Dog
October 12th, 2005, 07:33 AM
There was a small blurb in today's Daily News-Record of Harrisonburg saying that there is a chance that the JMU at UMass game will be moved to another playing field such as an artificial surface near Amherst. I highly doubt that this will happen as it was not mentioned earlier in the week and this is the homecoming game for UMass.

Did Delaware start a new trend or something? :p

umassfan
October 12th, 2005, 07:59 AM
There was a small blurb in today's Daily News-Record of Harrisonburg saying that there is a chance that the JMU at UMass game will be moved to another playing field such as an artificial surface near Amherst. I highly doubt that this will happen as it was not mentioned earlier in the week and this is the homecoming game for UMass.

Well as I said on CAAZone... the only field we could move it to is at Springfield College... With that said... if that does happen you can kiss the TV goodbye.

MadisonFootball
October 12th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Ok, well first of all I think Raymond Hines had a pretty good number of yards against UMass last year, in fact one run I believe was 60 yards or so.

The jist of the game is JMU will pressure the UMass QB, causing turnovers, and will score on offense using huge chunks of the game clock.

Turf will not be an issue. The game is decided on 1 issue, Can UMass stop JMU's offense?

JMU will win 24-10

umassfan
October 12th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Ok, well first of all I think Raymond Hines had a pretty good number of yards against UMass last year, in fact one run I believe was 60 yards or so.

The jist of the game is JMU will pressure the UMass QB, causing turnovers, and will score on offense using huge chunks of the game clock.

Turf will not be an issue. The game is decided on 1 issue, Can UMass stop JMU's offense?

JMU will win 24-10
You are very confident with that game play... I think JMU has to stop Baylark and Cobbs as well. Those two are equal to your three backs. Both are 1000 yard rushers.

JMUfan2008
October 12th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I guess it's good our rush defense is amazing so we can stop your 2 rushers that are apparently equal to our 3....I think this will be a close one though, definitely within 2 touchdowns. I don't think we'll be seeing Rodney come in at the end of the game so that we're not running up the score on the other team. If we go and win against UMass and Delaware on their fields, both on thier homecomings, we'll hopefully move up in the national rankings to where we are in the AGS standings (but not to #1 ;) )

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM
If we go and win against UMass and Delaware on their fields, both on thier homecomings
Not our homecoming. Hofstra already ruined that one. :(

JMUfan2008
October 12th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Not our homecoming. Hofstra already ruined that one. :(

sorry, I must have been misinformed. you would think my suitemate that lives like 20 min from there would know better.... :rolleyes:

JMU Duke Dog
October 12th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Well as I said on CAAZone... the only field we could move it to is at Springfield College... With that said... if that does happen you can kiss the TV goodbye.

I read on CAAZone that the AD of UMass today said that the game will be played in Amherst unless the field is under 3 inches of water. So it looks like this game will be played at UMass and will be televised.

DB_Atlantic10
October 12th, 2005, 02:39 PM
But for some reason, JMU seems to fair well in poor sloppy field conditions....

umassfan
October 12th, 2005, 02:48 PM
I read on CAAZone that the AD of UMass today said that the game will be played in Amherst unless the field is under 3 inches of water. So it looks like this game will be played at UMass and will be televised.

I know what he said because he said it to me... The game will be in Amherst... we do not run a chicken operation like the hens.

blur2005
October 12th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I know what he said because he said it to me... The game will be in Amherst... we do not run a chicken operation like the hens.
Cripes, must you be such a yatch about things...good Lord. No need to insult Delaware in the JMU-UMass thread.

blur2005
October 12th, 2005, 04:21 PM
sorry, I must have been misinformed. you would think my suitemate that lives like 20 min from there would know better.... :rolleyes:
The JMU@Delaware game is Delaware's Parents Weekend.

Tribe4SF
October 12th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Cripes, must you be such a yatch about things...good Lord. No need to insult Delaware in the JMU-UMass thread.

He knows no other way. :argue: :shakingma

Tribe4SF
October 12th, 2005, 05:38 PM
But for some reason, JMU seems to fair well in poor sloppy field conditions....

They've had the recipe lately.

One part strong defense.
One part strong O-line.
One part power running backs.

Now wait for umassfan to tell us how great they are in these areas.

ChickenMan
October 12th, 2005, 06:22 PM

I can hear it already... UD whips UMass ... again

umassfan's excuse... is a poor field... again

JMU2004
October 12th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Don't know how this game wil turn out, but the ability of UMassfan to climb back in the saddle year after year is admirable......every year we here the same thing about UMass from him, then they actually play somebody.

We'll see if this year remains true to form

umassfan
October 12th, 2005, 06:59 PM
They've had the recipe lately.

One part strong defense.
One part strong O-line.
One part power running backs.

Now wait for umassfan to tell us how great they are in these areas.

number 1 defense... check
big and powerful oline... check
two 1000 yard rushers... check

umassfan
October 12th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Don't know how this game wil turn out, but the ability of UMassfan to climb back in the saddle year after year is admirable......every year we here the same thing about UMass from him, then they actually play somebody.

We'll see if this year remains true to form
because 9 times out of 10 we are right there when it counts... that can be said about pretty much just 1 other A10 teams... the fighting blue chickens.

Coastal89
October 12th, 2005, 08:37 PM
http://www.cn8.tv/shared/video/cn8winmedia.asx

I just found out that CN8 is carrying this game. I'll be watching for sure.

Sam Adams
October 12th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Lets not turn this thread into a Smack thread. JMU & UMASS are both good teams with plenty going for them. JMU deserves to be the favorite here because they are the National Champions and because they are coming off an impressive win over the Black Bears.

That said, UMass certainly has the personnel, the coaching and the ability to win the ball game. Both teams have shown a certain propensity to make mistakes and whichever team limits those mistakes will likely win the game. I don't see any blow out here.

JMU Duke Dog
October 12th, 2005, 11:05 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

No. 4 James Madison (4-1) at No. 13 Massachusetts (4-1), 12:05

At the Atlantic 10 media day in August, James Madison head coach Mickey Matthews called Massachusetts the best team in the country. A loss to Colgate keeps the Minutemen from that lofty status, but it’s easy to see a little of the 2004 Dukes present in the 2005 Minutemen. The Massachusetts defense is thoroughly dominating its opposition. With the exception of the 17-14 loss to Colgate, the Minutemen have allowed 12 total points in four games, including shutouts of Albany and Richmond. The nation’s top-ranked defense is giving up only 5.8 ppg and holds opponents to 162 yards of total offense. Steve Baylark and R.J. Cobbs lead the running game, and Liam Coen is developing into an efficient quarterback. It’s reasonable to think the Minutemen can make a run like the Dukes did a year ago with solid pieces in place, and the winner of this game between conference unbeatens will have a leg up in the Atlantic 10 race. The problem for Massachusetts, however, is that this game is against the 2005 Dukes. While another long playoff run might not be in store, the Dukes are a more complete team right now than they were at this point a season ago. The 2004 Dukes scraped and battled for most of their victories, but this year James Madison is hitting its stride early. In four victories, James Madison has outscored its opponents by an average score of 50-5. Alvin Banks, Maurice Fenner and Raymond Hines are all averaging at least 5.7 yards per carry, and the Dukes are racking up 260 rushing yards per contest. The James Madison defense is strong again, and has shut down its opponents rushing attack all season. The numbers for both teams are skewed a bit by the competition they’ve faced, but the defenses are spectacular. The difference is James Madison quarterback Justin Rascati. In a close, defensive battle, the experienced Rascati (11 TD, 1 INT) will be more likely to make a big play than Coen. A few big passing plays will be enough to lead James Madison to a victory and give the Dukes the inside track for the A-10’s automatic bid.

Prediction: James Madison 17, Massachusetts 13

Tribe4SF
October 13th, 2005, 12:42 AM

Richmond Times Dispatch reports today that the A-10 will make a decision Friday whether the field in Amherst is playable. If not, they report, the game will be played at 6:00 Saturday at Springfield College.

umassfan
October 13th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Richmond Times Dispatch reports today that the A-10 will make a decision Friday whether the field in Amherst is playable. If not, they report, the game will be played at 6:00 Saturday at Springfield College.
UMass keeps the field tarped for the majority of the day... I dont see how it will get any worse... I saw it for a bit today with the tarp off before it started raining and it looked in pretty decent shape... If the A10 steps in and moves this game over UMass's head then it will be wrong. The game should and will be held in Amherst.

Tribe4SF
October 13th, 2005, 06:15 AM
If the field is taking any additional water and being covered part of the time, it will not have a chance to dry out very well. From the look of some of the pictures of the NU game, the field does not drain very well.

I'm wondering what kind of shape UNH is in. Evidently they've had even more rain than UMass.

JMU Duke Dog
October 13th, 2005, 10:17 AM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=1070&CHID=3

JMU Wants UMass Field Inspected
Because of heavy rain in Massachusetts, the Dukes fear the field might be unplayable this weekend.

By Mike Barber

Heading into perhaps its biggest football game of the season, James Madison isn’t about to let its opponent decide if the game should or should not be moved because of a wet field.

JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne on Tuesday asked Atlantic 10 commissioner Linda Bruno to travel to Massachusetts to determine if the grass surface at McGuirk Alumni Stadium in Amherst is playable.

Bruno and coordinator of football officials Jim Maconaghy plan to travel to UMass on Friday, assistant commissioner Ray Cella said Wednesday.

Bourne said a decision is expected by noon Friday.

"We feel like it’s in the best interest of the league that an objective third party make a ruling," Bourne said.

UMass officials are reluctant to move the game in part of because the school’s homecoming is scheduled for Saturday, but heavy rain has caused flooding in the Amherst area and Bourne said he has no way of knowing what shape the field is in.

"We can’t and we would not know until we arrived there," Bourne said. "As an institution, we would prefer that would come from a third party. That way it takes both schools out of the decision and puts it objectively in the hands of the conference."

JMU coach Mickey Matthews said it’s only fair that an unbiased decision be made.

Keeping the game on grass would prevent speedy JMU from gaining the edge it would have if the contest were moved to a nearby artificial-turf field.

The game pits the only two teams undefeated in A-10 play. Both squads also are ranked nationally. JMU (4-1 overall, 2-0 in the league) is No. 4 in The Sports Network’s Division I-AA poll and Massachusetts (4-1, 2-0) is No. 13.

"My position has been since Monday that an independent arbitrator needed to make the decision," Matthews said. "Not James Madison. And not UMass. There’s too much at stake for someone who has a prejudice to be involved in the decision."

UMass athletic director John McCutcheon said he doesn’t blame JMU for wanting a third party to make the call.

"I think you want someone with a little more neutral pair of eyes," McCutcheon said. "If I were on JMU’s side, I’d do the same thing."

McCutcheon said the school has "an alternative site identified" but declined to say where it was.

Cella said the site was Springfield College, which has an artificial turf. If the game is moved, kickoff would be pushed back from noon to 6 p.m. That change would endanger the CN8 television broadcast of the game, Cella said. Locally, the game would be shown on WAZT.

Matthews said neither team would gain an advantage by the move, even though UMass is used to playing on natural grass while JMU’s speed-defense was built for the turf at Bridgeforth Stadium.

He said the fact that Massachusetts has homecoming scheduled for Saturday should not be a factor in the decision.

"We proved last year we could win on grass and they proved they could win on turf," Matthews said. "I think it will be really sad if we have two good football teams playing on a unplayable field just because its homecoming."

Cella said in his nine years with the conference, he can’t remember the league ever being asked to decide the suitability of a playing field.

Saturday’s Delaware-Richmond game was moved from Newark, Del., to Richmond because of heavy rains in Delaware, but Cella said the two schools mutually agreed to move the game.

The Dukes have experience playing on bad surfaces. They won the Division I-AA championship last season at Finley Stadium at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga that had just been re-sodded. The grass didn’t take and the field pulled apart in big chunks during JMU’s 31-21 win over Montana.

"We’re not doing Chattanooga again," Bourne said.

Because of homecoming, UMass assistant sports information director John Sinnett said the school does not want to move the game if it can be avoided.

"It’s going to take an act of God," Sinnett said Wednesday. "We’d build an arc before we move this game."

Sinnett said the field was covered with a tarp Tuesday and Wednesday.

Matthews said his team will be ready to play, day or night, grass or turf.

"Our [practice] field is sloppy," Matthews said. "We practiced in the mud all week and we’ll practice in the mud again [today]."

Maroon&White
October 13th, 2005, 11:58 AM
What a bunch of sissies. Poor JMU, they might have to play on a wet, muddy field. I don't see UMass complaining about the field being wet and muddy. It's called a home field advantage. When UMass goes to JMU they aren't complaining about the field being a good track for speed. Bunch of damn babies at JMU.

umassfan
October 13th, 2005, 12:05 PM
If the field is taking any additional water and being covered part of the time, it will not have a chance to dry out very well. From the look of some of the pictures of the NU game, the field does not drain very well.

I'm wondering what kind of shape UNH is in. Evidently they've had even more rain than UMass.
They take the tarp off during the day when it is not raining... it is also very windy here in Amherst of late so that will help dry the field... the field did not look any worse then any other grass field in the northeast for games this weekend.

Umass74
October 13th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Well, I was there. If you look at the images on my blog the field was good during the first half because it had been covered.

No real grass field could take the 2-4 inches of rain that was going on and not be muddy.

If the field stays covered this week and we do not get another deluge during the game, I seen no reason why the field will not be playable.

ChickenMan
October 13th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Well, I was there. If you look at the images on my blog the field was good during the first half because it had been covered.

No real grass field could take the 2-4 inches of rain that was going on and not be muddy.

If the field stays covered this week and we do not get another deluge during the game, I seen no reason why the field will not be playable.

Here's a shot of the UMass field from last week's game vs NU...

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/160/6464/640/Rhode%20Island%20030.jpg

I don't know... that field looks as bad or worse than UD's. Hasn't it rained all week in Amherst??? The forecast says more rain right on through Sunday.

umassfan
October 13th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Here's a shot of the UMass field from last week's game vs NU...

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/160/6464/640/Rhode%20Island%20030.jpg

I don't know... that field looks as bad or worse than UD's. Hasn't it rained all week in Amherst??? The forecast says more rain right on through Sunday.

The field looked normal when I saw it on Wed... the crew did a good job after the game replacing the holes and rolling the field... there is no reason this game should be moved.... yes it is raining in Amherst but just a light rain... the field is covered anyway so it will not get worse... the only way the field will become unplayable is if it rains hard all game.

umassfan
October 13th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Here is what the UMass writer has to say about the field:

Despite last week's game that chewed up the wet field and more rain this week, the University of Massachusetts expects to have McGuirk Stadium playable for the homecoming game against James Madison at noon Saturday.

Atlantic 10 Commissioner Linda Bruno and Jim Maconaghy, the league's coordinator of officials, will examine the UMass field Friday night.

The Springfield College football field, which has an artificial surface, is available as an alternate site.

''Our position is just to make sure nobody will be in a position to get hurt,'' said league spokesman Ray Cella. ''The field could be fine. It's just a matter of taking a look at it to make sure there are no problems.''

One Atlantic 10 contest Saturday already has been relocated. The game between the Spiders and the Blue Hens will be played at Richmond instead of Delaware.

UMass officials rolled the field at McGuirk Stadium Monday to ensure that it is level. A drying agent was added and blowers were used on particularly soggy spots. The field will remain covered with a tarp during any precipitation before Saturday.

UMass athletic director John McCutcheon said he expects the game will remain in Amherst.

''I think (the A-10) is doing due diligence, in light of the situation at Delaware'' where the field was declared unplayable, McCutcheon said. ''It's a different situation here. We're going to get it in suitable condition to be ready to play Saturday... There wasn't any standing water on the field Monday. We've played games on the field when it was worse than it was Monday... I'm not trying to say it would be perfect by Saturday, of course it wouldn't be. But we feel very confident that it will be in condition to support the game.''

James Madison coach Mickey Matthews groused about the potential conditions during Monday's Atlantic 10 weekly conference call with reporters.

''Both teams have to play on it. So it's fair,'' Matthews said. ''We have a grass practice field which we're on most of the time. But it's hard to simulate the bad conditions. It's not a very good field up there anyway. I know they're trying to get a new one. It's unfortunate that two good teams have to play on such a bad surface.''

colgate13
October 13th, 2005, 02:19 PM
When did all of these teams start playing baseball and stop playing football? Play the damn game outside, in the mud, in the rain, in the snow, in the wind, in whatever. The whole idea that this is even being discussed is ridiculous.

umassfan
October 13th, 2005, 02:21 PM
When did all of these teams start playing baseball and stop playing football? Play the damn game outside, in the mud, in the rain, in the snow, in the wind, in whatever. The whole idea that this is even being discussed is ridiculous.

This is being discussed because UD and their issues with their field. If UD didnt have to move their game this week then this wouldnt even be an issue.

Wild McGuirk
October 13th, 2005, 02:33 PM
No reason to get crazy before any decisions are made. If it's been tarped all week during rainy periods, and uncovered to dry out when it isn't raining, it will probably be fine.
Just thank god Jim Mac is involved and it's not all up to Linda Bruno. She'd probably move it to Dayton, they have a nice turf field.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I don't see any "whining" coming from the JMU side. I, for one, hope it stays as scheduled so that we can watch it on tv down here in VA.

All we care about, as should any team, is the safety of the players and the quality of the game. JMU fans will be the first to say our field at Bridgeforth Stadium is an injury trap. If we can one day get rid of that horrible surface, we'll have a much easier time recruiting new players.

Let's be honest though, do you think 10-6 is how the Delaware game would have gone on a field with good drainage? Not with those defenses as bad as they are. That score is not indicative of the capabilities of either team. And given Delaware's already thin list of players, I am sure the was holding his breath for no more injuries as much as crying about the scoreboard (in more way than one :p )

Bad conditions can be fun and are often some of the best atmospheres for good down 'n dirty football games, but let's make sure we don't have any gaping holes, inches thick mud, etc. that could cause injury. Last year's semifinal is a perfect ex

And UMassman, we know :deadhorse You saw the field and it looks like God's gift to football stadiums... I hope you are right!

Good luck to both teams this weekend! Very pivotal game in the A-10 race!

DB_Atlantic10
October 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM
UMass keeps the field tarped for the majority of the day... I dont see how it will get any worse... I saw it for a bit today with the tarp off before it started raining and it looked in pretty decent shape... If the A10 steps in and moves this game over UMass's head then it will be wrong. The game should and will be held in Amherst.

The field may have survived the first week, but back to back games in a more than normal wet environment will have the field worse than at Delaware currently and the rest of the season will be screwed at Amherst. These are the top two team in the A-10...who wants to see them and some of the best players go down on a crappy and muddy field. I was able to watch the NE game on the internet and that field is on it's way out, tarp or not.... just my opinion....

JMU Duke Dog
October 13th, 2005, 03:13 PM
There are at least two positives of JMU playing the game at McGuirk Alumni Stadium in Amherst.

1. JMU has a chance to beat UMass for the first time since 1987 on the Minutemen's home field. That on top of the chance to gain an advantage in the A10 title race and a playoff spot is great motivation to win.
2. JMU fans not able to go up to MA for the game will still be able to see the game on TV or online through CN8.

I think this game is too close to call for any person to have an idea for predicting the outcome.

umassfan
October 13th, 2005, 03:16 PM
The field may have survived the first week, but back to back games in a more than normal wet environment will have the field worse than at Delaware currently and the rest of the season will be screwed at Amherst. These are the top two team in the A-10...who wants to see them and some of the best players go down on a crappy and muddy field. I was able to watch the NE game on the internet and that field is on it's way out, tarp or not.... just my opinion....

Do you also notice how much rain came down during the game that day? It prob rained more for that game then any I have ever been to in my 17 years of going. The grounds crew has applied drying agent to the field and also blow dried spots that were bad... We have a good grounds crew.... Tomorrow they will look at the field and notice the game can be played there... All of this talk will be for nothing come sat.

DB_Atlantic10
October 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Do you also notice how much rain came down during the game that day? It prob rained more for that game then any I have ever been to in my 17 years of going. The grounds crew has applied drying agent to the field and also blow dried spots that were bad... We have a good grounds crew.... Tomorrow they will look at the field and notice the game can be played there... All of this talk will be for nothing come sat.

Well I'm going to take your word and I hope you are right.....more than a fan here..... :)

umassfan
October 13th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Trust me I want to see a good game as much as everyone else here... I flew up from vegas for two games(vs NU as well) and would like to see a good game no matter where it is played but it should be played in Amherst.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 13th, 2005, 05:51 PM
;) If it should be, it will be :nod:

blur2005
October 13th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Glad to hear this is being televised. I wonder if I will be able to pick it up in Charlottesville. Will it be on Comcast? W&M-URI and Delaware-Hofstra were on there, so I'm assuming that's where I'd find it.

charliej
October 13th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Glad to hear this is being televised. I wonder if I will be able to pick it up in Charlottesville. Will it be on Comcast? W&M-URI and Delaware-Hofstra were on there, so I'm assuming that's where I'd find it.

Yep Blur,It's on Comcast CN8 at noon.

Sam Adams
October 14th, 2005, 07:00 AM

HERE HERE !!!!! Right On Colgate13.

What is all this nonsense about being afraid to play a football game in the rainn, wind and mud??? This is outrageous. There is absolutely no basis at all for thinking that UMass is not playable on Saturday. Of course it is playable - JMU just doesn't want to play on the natural grass and some inevitable mud. But that doesn't mean it is not playable - that just means JMU thinks that they may be at a disadvantage due to weather - TOUGH COOKIES.

When did football suddenly become baseball? ITS FOOTBALL !!!! WE PLAY IN WEATHER, WE PLAY IN SNOW, WE PLAY IN RAIN, WE PLAY IN MUD.

SO help me if this game is moved to Springfield College and a player gets seriously hurt playing on that astroturf12 field that SC uses - Linda Bruno will not hear the end of it from me. Players love Wet grass and Mud it makes for great football and reduced injuries as opposed to wet astroturf which increases the risk of knee and ankle injury.

Tribe4SF
October 14th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Good news is that rain is predicted to diminish by tomorrow afternoon (not stop...diminish). Bad news is they're predicting as much as two more inches before gametime. They'll have to uncover it to see it's condition and to mark it, and again a few hours before kickoff.

I'm betting they play this at McGuirk, but the field will be bad. Both defensive fronts gets tested. If it's not raining much, look for both teams to air it out some. This game's a toss-up...wet or dry.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2005, 07:50 AM
HERE HERE !!!!! Right On Colgate13.

What is all this nonsense about being afraid to play a football game in the rainn, wind and mud??? This is outrageous. There is absolutely no basis at all for thinking that UMass is not playable on Saturday. Of course it is playable - JMU just doesn't want to play on the natural grass and some inevitable mud. But that doesn't mean it is not playable - that just means JMU thinks that they may be at a disadvantage due to weather - TOUGH COOKIES.

When did football suddenly become baseball? ITS FOOTBALL !!!! WE PLAY IN WEATHER, WE PLAY IN SNOW, WE PLAY IN RAIN, WE PLAY IN MUD.

SO help me if this game is moved to Springfield College and a player gets seriously hurt playing on that astroturf12 field that SC uses - Linda Bruno will not hear the end of it from me. Players love Wet grass and Mud it makes for great football and reduced injuries as opposed to wet astroturf which increases the risk of knee and ankle injury.

Man, a UMass fan extolling (correctly I may add) the virtues of playing in the elements and a less than perfect field condition. Apparently they have just now gotten over that loss to Colgate in '03. Good to see people moving on!

LacesOut
October 14th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Yep Blur,It's on Comcast CN8 at noon.

Sweet! I'm tired of watching the bottom feeders of the Big Ten on my TV every Saturday at Noon.

colgate13
October 14th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Man, a UMass fan extolling (correctly I may add) the virtues of playing in the elements and a less than perfect field condition. Apparently they have just now gotten over that loss to Colgate in '03. Good to see people moving on!

They keep this up, I'm going to have to make sure I have one of these when I'm on AGS.

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/home_defibrillator.jpg

:D