PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota State - We're Official

CaBisonFan
May 20th, 2008, 02:49 AM
After five or six years of waiting around, and having a couple of very solid teams, we have passed through the time warp of ncaa purgatory. And as an added feature, we are entering our first year in the Gateway Conference, along with our partner South Dakota State.

After the initial announcement of our move up to DI-AA, there was much skepticism in the land about whether we should do it. SDSU suffered a similar fate. The leadership at both universities deserve purple hearts for their vision & courage.

We leave the Great West Conference with some misgivings in terms of leaving Cal Poly, UC Davis, & Southern Utah -- three quality universities -- but the invitation to the Gateway couldn't be turned down.

NDSU returns 14 starters from a great team that went undefeated until our visit to SDSU to end the season. We've lost our wizard quarterback, Steve Walker, who I still believe deserves a look in the NFL -- along with some other great players, like Joe Mays (drafted by Philadelphia), our amazing punter - Mike Dragosavich (signed with New England), and Nate Safe, one of the best left tackles to ever wear a Bison uniform. There are others. So we have some retooling to do at some key positions. But that's college football.

My hat is off to SDSU for their win over us. It was really painful to lose that game, because we were ranked in the top 2 or 3 until that final game. But it was good for SDSU to get a title in the Great West before moving on. They are building a solid program at a great university.

We have heard (constantly) from a couple of our neighbors that the FCS is not stronger than DII. Over the past few years of watching some very good FCS teams, I would beg to differ. It may be true that a few of the stronger programs in DII can play with many of the FCS teams; however, the level of play across the board is much stronger in the FCS (can't get used to the name).

We look forward to playing one of our old DII playoff rivals in Youngstown State from years past. And we also look forward to renewing an old North Central Conference rivalry with UNI. Those will be automatic rivalries for us, along with SDSU. We've found that in some of our Gateway games (non-conference) that there are quality teams pretty much throughout.

We come out of a couple of years where we drubbed MAC Champion Central Michigan, defeated Ball State in a thriller, and to many the highlight -- defeated Minnesota in the baggie. We continue to hear that we beat the worst Gopher team in history, so from across the river we're not getting a lot of respect -- but the Bison gained 585 yards against the Gophers last year, a feat that even Ohio State couldn't accomplish. In fact, those 585 yards represent more than the Gophers gained on NDSU in the '06 & '07 games combined. Most Bison fans were shocked that we could stay on the field with the Gophers in '06 (a bowl team), only to lose by having a field goal blocked in the final seconds. So Minnesota has discontinued any future scheduling in football. We will be visiting Wyoming this fall, which should be very interesting.

It's been a sometimes frustrating, and sometimes thrilling ride through the transition period. Our players and coaches have been road warriors. We had 6 consecutive road games in 2006, with only one loss to some very solid teams. We're just proud as heck of our team, and the progress of the program. This proud tradition is glad to be back with some of its old rivals.

We feel fortunate to still have our head coach in Craig Bohl, the man who brought us through the transition and has taught the Bison a lot, along with a great assistant staff.

We don't anticipate an easy ride in the Gateway, or in any future playoff games. We understand that the FCS is full of very outstanding, proud programs -- many of which have gone into FBS stadiums and played 'very' well. We're not the only ones that have shown that the FCS is very strong.

The goal, from the beginning, was to bring our program back to national prominence and to play a very high caliber of football. In the FCS, to win means to have an outstanding team.

Most of our fans respect all of your programs, and are anxious to get going.

Free at last! We have a great schedule and some solid goals. Best of luck in the 2008 season. It can't get here soon enough. Maybe we will see some of you in regular-season & playoff games in the future. We welcome you to Fargo if the occasion should ever arise.

CaBisonFan

andy7171
May 20th, 2008, 07:12 AM
xeyebrowx

TexasTerror
May 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM
NDSU is not official yet...isn't the date July 1?

Come back to us then. Hard to become official during an athletic calendar year. There's still sports competing right now and I do not see NDSU becoming eligible out of nowhere for postseason competition in those sports.

OL FU
May 20th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Glad you are here and eligible and glad you are excited about itxthumbsupx

89Hen
May 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Best of luck to NDSU (and SDSU). Great additions to I-AA. Interesting to note though how several teams have seemed to do well initially after moving up and then struggle a little...

Portland State moved up in 1996 and went 3-8, 4-7, 5-6, 8-3, 8-4 and made the playoffs and then haven't returned to the playoffs since 2000.

Samford moved up in 1988, made the playoffs in 1991 (went to semis) and 92 and haven't been back.

Hofstra moved up in 1992 and made the playoffs in 1995, 97, 99, 2000 and 2001 but not since.

Not saying this will happen to the Bison or Rabbits, but we'll have to see how playing a full Gateway schedule for a couple years pans out.

stevdock
May 20th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Best of luck to NDSU (and SDSU). Great additions to I-AA. Interesting to note though how several teams have seemed to do well initially after moving up and then struggle a little...

Portland State moved up in 1996 and went 3-8, 4-7, 5-6, 8-3, 8-4 and made the playoffs and then haven't returned to the playoffs since 2000.

Samford moved up in 1988, made the playoffs in 1991 (went to semis) and 92 and haven't been back.

Hofstra moved up in 1992 and made the playoffs in 1995, 97, 99, 2000 and 2001 but not since.

Not saying this will happen to the Bison or Rabbits, but we'll have to see how playing a full Gateway schedule for a couple years pans out.

That's very interesting information that I did not know before. With the Gateway so competitive from top to bottom, it will be interesting to see where we fit in week in and week out.

CaBisonFan
May 20th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Come back to us then. Hard to become official during an athletic calendar year. There's still sports competing right now and I do not see NDSU becoming eligible out of nowhere for postseason competition in those sports.

Really xcoolx

CaBisonFan
May 20th, 2008, 09:29 AM

That's kind of what I was saying about the Gateway, and the entire FCS for that matter. It will be a grind-it-out schedule pretty much every weekend.

Most Bison fans are realistic about the future, yet, we are used to having a pretty consistent program.

CaBisonFan
May 20th, 2008, 09:31 AM
xeyebrowx

I forgot to include Towson. I remember several encounters in the playoffs. My apologies.

Grizzaholic
May 20th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Hope to see you in the playoffs this year.

CaBisonFan
May 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Hope to see you in the playoffs this year.

Sounds good to me. Wish we could get into a home & home at some point. Even just two games. At least in Fargo, you could sell out the dome at least a couple of times over.

GaSouthern
May 20th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Do you guys thing recruiting for FCS is harder than for D-II due to requirements?

stevdock
May 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
My opinion is I haven't seen any drop off in the talent level since we moved up. In fact, I think the talent level has increased greatly. Now is that because of moving up or is it because recruiting more nationally. I would say it is some of both. I haven't see the requirements play in at all though.

Grizzaholic
May 20th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Sounds good to me. Wish we could get into a home & home at some point. Even just two games. At least in Fargo, you could sell out the dome at least a couple of times over.

That is a big wish. But one can always hope.

DuckDuckGriz
May 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM
NDSU will still contend heavily, they are a major threat to FCS.

CaBisonFan
May 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM

As can happen to an established program also.

CaBisonFan
May 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Do you guys thing recruiting for FCS is harder than for D-II due to requirements?

Here's my take on it.

We have a ton of DII programs in the region, with some strategically located around the Twin Cities -- St. Cloud State, Minnesota State (Mankato), & others.

My hunch is that we have been pulling some of the kids that are very close to being an FBS full-scholarship recruit away from those programs. We, along with SDSU & NIU, have given a lot of suburban city kids some options besides DII, assuming that they would like to stay somewhat close to home.

We've made some inroads to the state of Illinois in the past 5 years or so. I'm not completely sure why, but it probably has to do with a specific assistant coach or two, and their connections to that area.

In North Dakota we've pretty much cleaned house, and also have had good luck in rural Minnesota. With UND just coming into the transition phase, that could change some.

It's a tough call. We were suffering some in DII for nearly a decade. We had some good teams, but they weren't loaded, with the exception of probably one year.

I'd say that over-all recruiting has gone up. We seem to have a few more blue-chippers on the field, more speed at some positions, and for sure more depth.

Darn good question that I'm sure some of my fellow Bison fans would have a different take on.

CaBisonFan
May 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
NDSU will still contend heavily, they are a major threat to FCS.

Thanks for the respect. I lived in Great Falls for a while, and went to some Griz games. That was in the late 90s. I was very impressed with the program, the stadium, the fans, and the university.

You know -- I think that most Bison fans are just happy to see high-caliber teams coming into Fargo, and happy to be traveling to some larger venues with excellent teams. For sure, our fan base has grown. It was estimated that we brought 30,000 into the Metrodome in 2007. That was an incredible thing for the state and the fans of NDSU. But that's not the only one that we've enjoyed. Playing UC Davis was a major challenge, and Cal Poly has an 'outstanding' team that has big-time athletes. Then there was Sam Houston and their amazing QB -- maybe the best to ever play in the city of Fargo -- and that's saying a lot. A couple of Gateway games over the past years have given us an idea of how strong our new conference is. It's a little scary frankly.

Good luck to the Griz in the coming season.

CaBisonFan
May 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Glad you are here and eligible and glad you are excited about itxthumbsupx

Thank you!

CaBisonFan
May 20th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Didn't you come to us? You had a hell of a team.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
NDSU is my dream playoff matchup, or rather dream Title matchup for JMU. For most it's the Griz, but we outlasted them back in 2004. So now I want a shot at the Bison!

I have a good friend that is a NDSU alum, and we'd have a hell of a time if that game were to ever happen.

Best of luck this year and I hope to see you in Chattanooga! xthumbsupx

GtFllsGriz
May 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Great post! I would love to see the Griz play NDSU on home and home basis. I have a lot of inlaws in north central MN so I travel through Fargo a couple of times a year. It is a great little city. I would be there for the game and probably have family from MN travel to watch the Griz play there as well. I have supplied a lot of Griz gear to that area and they now watch for the scores etc.

Maybe it will happen one day. Or even the playoffs, a very plausible scenario. Good luck Bison!

89Hen
May 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM
As can happen to an established program also.
No doubt, but I guess my point is that some programs move up and have early success and the fans probably think "this is easy" or that it will continue. Not saying many Bison fans are pencilling in a bunch of Gateway titles, but I'm sure there will be some who think you will be a playoff team every year.

BisonBacker
May 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Very much looking forward to our first season in the Gateway. The move up was long overdue and it's been a great ride. Now the party really starts.

ncbears
May 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
After the initial announcement of our move up to DI-AA, there was much skepticism in the land about whether we should do it. SDSU suffered a similar fate. The leadership at both universities deserve purple hearts for their vision & courage.

CaBisonFan

That's probably one of the most cheesiest things I've ever read on this site.

Purple hearts??

xcoffeex xcoffeex

Bison101
May 21st, 2008, 04:22 PM
That's probably one of the most cheesiest things I've ever read on this site.

Purple hearts??

xcoffeex xcoffeex

Purple Hearts- Medals earned when a soldier is wounded during active military service.

ncbears
May 21st, 2008, 05:19 PM
Purple Hearts- Medals earned when a soldier is wounded during active military service.

Yes, I know what a Purple Heart is. It's just a stupid statement by CAbison.

JBB
May 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM
CaBisonFan is blubbering a little bit, here and other places, but I can say with confidence the talent level on the BISON football team is at a higher level than in the past.

The competition is better too. We still have an occasional easy game, but its nothing like D2. The problem there was staying mentally in it against inferior opponents so you didnt get upset between the 2 or 3 good games you might have had during a season.

I also like the playoff situation better. In D2 some of the divisions best teams were left out in favor of clearly inferior teams. They had no at large bid. It was a rule aimed at the old NCC and NDSU in particular.

There are a lot of great matchups out there yet to happen for us but our transition has put is in some great stadiums and great situations. We already have wins over some of the legendary FCS teams. But, one of the biggest excitements has been the chance to play up to the FBS. Those have been very exciting games.

We will have our highs and lows but one thing that is always true about BISON football, no matter who you are NDSU is a big game.

crunifan
May 21st, 2008, 07:54 PM
It's official in the Dome. A few months ago they painted North Dakota State's and South Dakota State's logo on dome with the other Gateway members. If I recall, NDSU got WKU's old spot, haha.