PDA

View Full Version : App Depth

Appguy
May 19th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I don't know how many of you App fans have seen our preseason depth chart but theres a few interesting starters I didn't expect
-http://goasu.com/autoimage/pVZo5ep.pdf

Finnerty above Anthony Williams at DT

Hunter Stewart as the #2 QB (no Coco on Depth)
Receivers
X - Tavaris Washington in the Dexter's spot
Z - Josh Johnson

Slots Receivers
Y - Brian Quick
M - Courman/Hillary

I expected Coco Hillary or Quick to start on the outside

Mark Legree at Safety
Jared Reine at CB

news to me, could be injury related though for all we know

APPALACHIANstate
May 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I don't know how many of you App fans have seen our preseason depth chart but theres a few interesting starters I didn't expect

Receivers
Z - Josh Johnson

Slots Receivers
Y - Brian Quick
M - Courman/Hillary

Mark Legree at Safety
Jared Reine at CB

Yeah, I really hope this is coming from people battling for positions. It is a really good thing to have depth that causes people to work their Ace off to get a starting spot.

AshevilleApp
May 19th, 2008, 03:41 PM
What's interesting is this team has very few starting seniors. From the looks of it only Banks, Courman, Bieschke and Coley have starting jobs.

I think they like to move Hillary all over the field so he really is a man without a position. One thing that is for certain - he'll get his touches.

Love will be on the field a ton regardless of where he lines up.

Skjellyfetti
May 19th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Another one is Mario Acitelli listed as 2nd at LG. Probably due to him recovering from an injury... but I'm sure he'll be first by fall.

ASUMountaineer
May 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
What's up Appguy, Mark Legree is the man (and I'm saying that because I have his #13 jersey) :)

AppGrad06
May 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
man looking at the per quarter stats App really wasn't a 3rd quarter team at all. They scored half as many points in the third then in the 4th and 1st.

ASUMountaineer
May 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Receivers
Z - Josh Johnson

Slots Receivers
Y - Brian Quick
M - Courman/Hillary

Mark Legree at Safety
Jared Reine at CB

Josh Johnson and TJ run good routes, not shocked to see those guys in. Quick is probably starting, if for no other reason, than his size. He is a big receiver, and if I've heard the coaching staff expects big things out of him. A lot of people probably are shocked at Finnerty over Williams, but when Finnerty did play last year, he was solid.

Jerbearasu
May 19th, 2008, 06:33 PM
A lot of people probably are shocked at Finnerty over Williams, but when Finnerty did play last year, he was solid.
I agree with you but Williams was a 1st team AA last year. There is no way that is correct. My guess is this was from spring camp when a bunch of guys were healing up...

SideLine Shooter
May 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Josh Johnson and TJ run good routes, not shocked to see those guys in. Quick is probably starting, if for no other reason, than his size. He is a big receiver, and if I've heard the coaching staff expects big things out of him. A lot of people probably are shocked at Finnerty over Williams, but when Finnerty did play last year, he was solid.

Ever heard of a smoke screen...???xcoolx

ASUMountaineer
May 19th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Ever heard of a smoke screen...???xcoolx

Ever heard of just thinking a guy is a solid player? Notice I didn't say he deserved to be there, just said he was solid when he played. And, it's not like being the starting QB, playes rotate a lot more on the defensive line. Besides, Appalachian is the three time defending national champions, are there really any smoke screens...or does it matter? I think ASU will pretty much get the best from every team they play.

AppMan
May 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM

Receivers
Z - Josh Johnson

Slots Receivers
Y - Brian Quick
M - Courman/Hillary

Mark Legree at Safety
Jared Reine at CB

I wouldn't waste any time on this since the preseason depth chart is simply a reflection of who was playing where at the end of Spring practice. We had a ton of people sit out Spring drills for one reason or another and a lot of these other guys gpt most of the reps. After the first day of fall camp things will be back the way they are supposed to be.

ASUMountaineer
May 19th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't waste any time on this since the preseason depth chart is simply a reflection of who was playing where at the end of Spring practice. We had a ton of people sit out Spring drills for one reason or another and a lot of these other guys gpt most of the reps. After the first day of fall camp things will be back the way they are supposed to be.

I think for the most part this may be how things are supposed to be. We lost our whole secondary, a lot of changes there. We know App is all about speed, maybe Finnerty is a little faster out of the stance than Williams right now. They said after the season Legree was the likely replacement for Corey. Hunter Stewart was #3 QB last year and Trey graduated, makes sense he's #2. Some things will change, they always do, but I'm not all that shocked by the names listed.

Saint3333
May 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I think for the most part this may be how things are supposed to be. We lost our whole secondary, a lot of changes there. We know App is all about speed, maybe Finnerty is a little faster out of the stance than Williams right now. They said after the season Legree was the likely replacement for Corey. Hunter Stewart was #3 QB last year and Trey graduated, makes sense he's #2. Some things will change, they always do, but I'm not all that shocked by the names listed.

Williams will be the starter mark it down. Finnerty will get a lot of playing time, but Williams is the best d-lineman ASU has right now. Although the Bennett kid is very impressive. The front four will be back in 2008 with 7-8 quality guys rotating depending on Washington coming back.

ASUMountaineer
May 19th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Williams will be the starter mark it down. Finnerty will get a lot of playing time, but Williams is the best d-lineman ASU has right now. Although the Bennett kid is very impressive. The front four will be back in 2008 with 7-8 quality guys rotating depending on Washington coming back.

Maybe so, all I know is I don't get to see the practices. I don't buy the theory of smoke screening. I would assume Williams would be the starter, but one thing is for sure--Jerry will put the player out there that deserves it.

mountaineertider
May 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Have there been any updates on Washington's status?

Appguy
May 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM
What's up Appguy, Mark Legree is the man (and I'm saying that because I have his #13 jersey)
I know CD - wasn't 13 the only one that fit?
I got 87 aka Brandon Knox. Heres to hoping we can get a white one at this years fan fest!
anyone know what they did with all the white away Russell jerseys?

I was hoping Deandre Pressley would get onto the roster at QB #2, could be better to redshirt him though.
shouldn't acitelli be at LT?

ASUMountaineer
May 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I know CD - wasn't 13 the only one that fit?
I got 87 aka Brandon Knox. Heres to hoping we can get a white one at this years fan fest!
anyone know what they did with all the white away Russell jerseys?

I was hoping Deandre Pressley would get onto the roster at QB #2, could be better to redshirt him though.

Yeah, I'm a fat a$$. xthumbsupx

already123
May 20th, 2008, 02:19 AM
how does app look for this next season?

Kiss My Apps
May 20th, 2008, 05:58 AM

As AppMan stated earlier, this preliminary depth chart looks to be based on the spring practice roster. Both Acitelli and Williams sat out this spring recovering from injuries and Pressley hasn't showed up on campus yet. We'll see how it pans out but I'm willing to bet that Pressley does not red shirt this year based on our QB depth and both Acitelli and Williams start come September.

AshevilleApp2
May 20th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Probably good. I wouldn't be surprised to be pre-season #1 for what that's worth. We lost some key players from last years team, but that happens pretty much every year at the college level. We play a tough schedule including LSU and James Madison on the road.

My biggest concern is backup to Armanti Edwards if he gets injured this year. Last year we really didn't miss a beat with Trey Elder playing. Hopefully that won't be an issue and A.E. will stay healthy.

All that said, I see us making the playoffs and then we'll go from there.

AshevilleApp
May 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM

I'd say we stay even in the running game - Moore should adequately fill Richardson's shoes and might even be a better pass catcher. and Edwards...well...

Passing game should be fine as we have Courman, Johnson, Hill all familiar with the system and a bunch of depth behind them.

O-Line returns three top starters in Acitelli, Coley and Bieschke and should be fine as usual.

D-Line should be better than last year with a year under their belt and Bennett adding another speed dimension.

Linebackers are our best unit aside from QB....all 3 starters return and D.J. Smith has a chance to be the next Coakley....He put up major stats last year and was all over the field and didn't even start until after the Wofford game.

Secondary is our big ? but Gilbert and Love saw significant time last year and Legree and Reine are supposedly looking good.

I'd say Safety and Kicker are our two biggest holes Lynch and Rauch will be tough to replace at the levels they played for 4 years

2-3 losses, playoffs and a chance at the 4-peat

Jerbearasu
May 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I'd say we stay even in the running game - Moore should adequately fill Richardson's shoes and might even be a better pass catcher. and Edwards...well...

Secondary is our big ? but Gilbert and Love saw significant time last year and Legree and Reine are supposedly looking good.

I'd say Safety and Kicker are our two biggest holes Lynch and Rauch will be tough to replace at the levels they played for 4 years

2-3 losses, playoffs and a chance at the 4-peat

I have never been too high on Moore like everyone else is but he is decent. I would really like to see what Robert Welton can do as the #1 guy and Jackson did really well when he got on the field. I am also excited to see Rod Chisolm, I think he could be a beast for us...

I don't think secondary will be that big of an issue especially if Billy Riddle comes back this year which it looks to be the case at the moment. I am more worried about the O-Line. I know there are some returning starters but we lost 3 AA's and our TE. We really need a TE to step up and hopefully our RS Fr Ben Jorden is ready to go. I haven't heard anything from him since last fall though so I'm a little worried. I think our starters on the O-Line will be good but we lost a lot of depth with the graduation of Suttle, Brown, and Holt.

SideLine Shooter
May 20th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I have never been too high on Moore like everyone else is but he is decent. I would really like to see what Robert Welton can do as the #1 guy and Jackson did really well when he got on the field. I am also excited to see Rod Chisolm, I think he could be a beast for us...

I don't think secondary will be that big of an issue especially if Billy Riddle comes back this year which it looks to be the case at the moment. I am more worried about the O-Line. I know there are some returning starters but we lost 3 AA's and our TE. We really need a TE to step up and hopefully our RS Fr Ben Jorden is ready to go. I haven't heard anything from him since last fall though so I'm a little worried. I think our starters on the O-Line will be good but we lost a lot of depth with the graduation of Suttle, Brown, and Holt.

I think they have several TE's in the works. I've heard real good things on several of them. The one I would like to see get a chance is Matt Beecher.
I know he is a gamer from his High School days. By the way, his older brother will probably be the starting QB at South Carolina this year from what Spurrier said after spring practice..xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

appmountaineer
May 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM
No one answered the question about Tim Washington? Whats the news?

SideLine Shooter
May 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM
No one answered the question about Tim Washington? Whats the news?

All I have been able to find out is that he is not on the roster at this time.

HighRyder08
May 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Tim Washington is not going to play this season. He didnt bother to show up to practice. Trust me he is not a loss.

SideLine Shooter
May 20th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Tim Washington is not going to play this season. He didnt bother to show up to practice. Trust me he is not a loss.

He had his momments. That's about all I can say.xnodx xnodx xnodx

SoCon48
May 20th, 2008, 10:33 PM

He had a lot of potential as he showed in sev games including the Elon game.

He led the team in sacks, 2nd in QB hurries, 3rd in tackles for a loss, etc

Had some personal/family problems to take care of. Doubtful he'll return, but still possible as JM left the door open..

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Is Washington the transfer from LSU?

appmountaineer
May 21st, 2008, 12:22 AM
yes he is the LSU transfer

HighRyder08
May 21st, 2008, 12:24 AM
Is Washington the transfer from LSU?

Yes he is the transfer. I am working for the football team next year and know plenty of people who worked this year... Im 99% sure he will NOT be back

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2008, 06:28 AM
Yes he is the transfer. I am working for the football team next year and know plenty of people who worked this year... Im 99% sure he will NOT be back

From my seat it seems he's a pretty significant loss. Stats aren't outstanding (which is pretty standard for an interior DL), but he's certainly a force inside.

Appguy
May 21st, 2008, 02:12 PM
From my seat it seems he's a pretty significant loss. Stats aren't outstanding (which is pretty standard for an interior DL), but he's certainly a force inside.

he never started for us I believe. at least not more than a few times.

DLS
May 21st, 2008, 03:07 PM
did malcom bennett take his spot?
if so, i dont think this is a loss. atleast not from what spring practice reports have been saying.

probably just being overly optimistic tho.

ericsaid
May 21st, 2008, 10:15 PM
Malcolm Bennet will be starting, every spring practice report mentioned how impressive he was.

Appguy
May 22nd, 2008, 12:02 AM
Gordy Witte would be a good start against LSU for the size match up, being our biggest DT
6-6 285

ASUMountaineer
May 22nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
Gordy Witte would be a good start against LSU for the size match up, being our biggest DT
6-6 285

I'm really stoked for this season, with the new secondary and the bada$$ linebackers coming back. It's going to be interesting to see.

AppStFan76
May 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
I cant wait to see DJ maul some people!!

Is it August yet... I wish it were 10 days and not 100 day left!!

Appguy
May 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
CD, are you goin to fanfare again this year?

ericsaid
May 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
I imagine the d-line this year will be like the o-line last year, with tons and tons of depth.

Guavian Lewis the transfer from Vandy could see some time at LB and so could freshman Jon Rizor depending on how he comes in and adjusts.

Both 6'4 and around 220 to 230 and run from 4.6 to 4.7

Thye are marked down as DE's though. But wouldn't be surpised to see quvian in for jaque roman at times because roman isn't the fastest linebacker in the world.