PDA

View Full Version : Year Two of New Football Program

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
What is the general consensus on playing a full conference slate in your program's second year of gridiron action, in a full scholarship league?

Is ODU playing in the CAA during their second year of playing football? When do they head into the CAA?

Southeastern La., the best example that I know in this neck of the woods, did not enter the SLC til their third year of playing football, though the SLC helped them schedule some games prior to that.

What's the deal? Good idea? Bad idea? Why? Why not?

89Hen
May 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I would think second year is fine to have almost a full slate if you can get the games. I would expect ODU to have 3-4 CAA opponents in 2009. Looks like SELA actually had 4 Southland opponents their first year and only 3 in the second year. xeyebrowx

Cobblestone
May 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I think second year is way too soon for this sort of thing. Maybe a schedule with 1/2 of conference opponents and the other half made up of D-II teams would be a bit more prudent.

Tribe4SF
May 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Second year is too soon for a full conference slate. ODU scheduled W&M for their inaugural season in 2009, and Wilder has tried to get rid of the game since his arrival. ODU will join the conference with a full slate in 2011, their third year of competition when their initial recruiting class will be redshirt Juniors.