PDA

View Full Version : Should the Griz move up?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Ronbo believes in Polls as far as the Griz moving up so I thought we should have one here on AGS. If you are a Griz fan please vote in the first two options. If you are not then vote in the second two so it can be easily differentiated as to what the AGS Griz fan base is voting for.

grizband
May 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
While the "pee in my butt" option was very enticing xeyebrowx , I went with Griz fan voting no.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM
While the "pee in my butt" option was very enticing xeyebrowx , I went with Griz fan voting no.

I wanted it to be a tough call so only those that care will vote for the options that matter to them.

Cocky
May 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I vote the Griz can do whatever the Griznation wants.

andy7171
May 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I only had one choice.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I only had one choice.

You gotta go with your heart andy.

putter
May 19th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Who knows. in the FCS and outside of the Big Sky conference there are only a couple of teams that are even in the subdivision. Travel would be a little easier as there are more FBS teams closer to Montana but two things keep me from wanting to move.

#1. I like to play for the championship which, after moving up, will not happen - ever.

#2. University of Idaho. University of Idaho. University of Idaho.

WUTNDITWAA
May 19th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I vote the Griz can do whatever the Griznation wants.

Rep points for you. What a novel concept.

In other words, it's none of our business. xcoolx

griz8791
May 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Polls like this belong on egriz, not AGS.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM

I'll be sure and run any future ideas by you since you have such a firm grasp on what goes where.

ChickenMan
May 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM
If the Griz move up.. does the 'Big Sky' lose their automactic bid to the playoffs... :p

grizband
May 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I disagree. The opinions of this topic on egriz are well documented, and are reviewed every few months ad naseum. The opinions of AGS members will give a broader context to this question, as some Griz fans post here but not egriz, and it will also include FCS fans from around the country.

89Hen
May 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM
If the Griz move up.. does the 'Big Sky' lose their automactic bid to the playoffs... :p
ZING! Although the Bobcats have earned two autos recently.

I can't choose as the Griz aren't my favorite team, nor my second favorite team (even though I proudly wear my Griz cap from Ronbo). But I'd vote NO.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM
ZING! Although the Bobcats have earned two autos recently.

I can't choose as the Griz aren't my favorite team, nor my second favorite team (even though I proudly wear my Griz cap from Ronbo). But I'd vote NO.

You don't have to take the options so literally 89. That was just a little humor thrown in. I know, very little humor. Pee in my butt is the new "WGAF" option that lizgiz likes so much.

DuckDuckGriz
May 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I say no and I tell you what if the Griz moved up it would hurt FCS as far as fan support, attention, reputation.

I know I sound like an ass by saying that but the same would go for ASU, Delaware, GA Sou, NDSU, and even Montana State.

If you need proof go back and look at how much attention I-AA got when Marshall was around in the mid 90s compared to now. I think if those teams stayed it would say that FCS is potentially a big-time deal and that it's not just a stepping stone to move to a mid-major FBS team.

Therefore, Montana staying is good for FCS. That's why this poll should be open to anyone.

If not I'll pee in your butt and poop on your pillow.

89Hen
May 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I say no and I tell you what if the Griz moved up it would hurt FCS as far as fan support, attention, reputation.

I know I sound like an ass by saying that but the same would go for ASU, Delaware, GA Sou, NDSU, and even Montana State.

If you need proof go back and look at how much attention I-AA got when Marshall was around in the mid 90s compared to now.
Maybe it's my east coast bias talking, but I don't think the general public knows anything about Montana... but they also don't know anything about Delaware or GSU or McNeese or YSU.... they only know tidbits... AppSt beating Michigan was probably the biggest event for I-AA awareness... Tony Romo leading the Cowboys, the press Flacco got this year, Gannon, McNair, Warner, etc.... just glimpses. Losing Montana would do nothing to I-AA in the eyes of John Q.

But you almost raised an interesting point... Marshall. Remember how much excitement there was around the Hurd in the 90's? When they first moved up there was even more. But guess what?... they averaged less than 79% capacity last year. You don't think the polish has worn off playing for some low level bowl? Montana leaving for I-A would eventually hurt Montana. Nobody else. xtwocentsx

APPALACHIANstate
May 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Do I get to pee in monty's butt?

CCU97
May 19th, 2008, 03:36 PM
89Hen you hit the nail on the head....most of FCS wouldn't have any issues...the Big Sky schools would be the only ones hurt because of Montana moving up. Montana would also be hurt because they would have a tough time in FBS.

89Hen
May 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
89Hen you hit the nail on the head....most of FCS wouldn't have any issues...the Big Sky schools would be the only ones hurt because of Montana moving up. Montana would also be hurt because they would have a tough time in FBS.
Actually you nailed it. The Big Sky would be hurt if Montana moved up. However, on the flip side, it would allow for some more teams to make the playoffs from the BSC. xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
May 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Poll Options
Do you think the Griz should move to FCS?
Griz fan voting Yes
Griz fan voting No
Griz are my second favorite team and I'm voting Yes
Griz are my second favorite team and I'm voting No
Pee in my butt

Not to be a douche (but I'm going to be), but did I miss something, is Montana Div. II?

Anyways, Montana can move up if they want, but hopefully they won't before ASU gets a chance to go back to Missoula and beat them. On second thought, maybe ASU would have a better shot if Montana did move up to FBS. xnodx xpeacex

Grizzaholic
May 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Do I get to pee in monty's butt?

I do believe you would be mauled if you tried that, call up Cap'n. He might be interested.

UTCOWBOY71
May 19th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Aren't the Griz already in the FCS????

Grizzaholic
May 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I think he meant FBS. Or maybe he meant CFL. Just take a wild guess and go with it.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Not to be a douche (but I'm going to be), but did I miss something, is Montana Div. II?

Anyways, Montana can move up if they want, but hopefully they won't before ASU gets a chance to go back to Missoula and beat them. On second thought, maybe ASU would have a better shot if Montana did move up to FBS. xnodx xpeacex

Thanks for being a kind douche. I f'd that one up and can't edit it. I meant FBS.

Aren't the Griz already in the FCS????

See above.

ASUMountaineer
May 19th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks for being a kind douche. I f'd that one up and can't edit it. I meant FBS.

See above.

I know you did, I did that one time on a topic, can't edit it. Honestly, I never like to see FCS powerhouses move up, but that's selfish. It can be good for some schools and not others. Montana would still be the biggest show in the state, they are in a good spot to do so in comparison with Appalachian or GSU. We're both in the middle of ACC/ SEC country and NC already has 5 FBS programs, four of which are BCS.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Maybe it's my east coast bias talking, but I don't think the general public knows anything about Montana... but they also don't know anything about Delaware or GSU or McNeese or YSU.... they only know tidbits... AppSt beating Michigan was probably the biggest event for I-AA awareness... Tony Romo leading the Cowboys, the press Flacco got this year, Gannon, McNair, Warner, etc.... just glimpses. Losing Montana would do nothing to I-AA in the eyes of John Q.

But you almost raised an interesting point... Marshall. Remember how much excitement there was around the Hurd in the 90's? When they first moved up there was even more. But guess what?... they averaged less than 79% capacity last year. You don't think the polish has worn off playing for some low level bowl? Montana leaving for I-A would eventually hurt Montana. Nobody else. xtwocentsx

It would be nice if we could spread some of this reasoned thinking around to the minority of Griz fans that have the issue fully thought out as to how great a move up would be.

uofmman1122
May 19th, 2008, 04:26 PM
No, we shouldn't.

Some Griz fans will complain about anything. xnonono2x

I don't care if we went 0-11, I'd still be out there every Saturday yelling my head off. I'd wager there are over 100 teams who would gladly trade their success with ours over the last decade. We've got a great thing going, and I'm just thankful that I even get a chance to see the Griz play.

DuckDuckGriz
May 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Maybe it's my west coast bias thinking but Montana gets pretty good coverage all over the west (for an FCS)

SeattleGriz
May 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Had to vote no.

Love the whole playoff system and the fact the FCS decides it on the field. Maybe if we played for the championship every other year, then one would think we needed to move up, but until then, stay.

GOKATS
May 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM
No, we shouldn't.

I don't care if we went 0-11, I'd still be out there every Saturday yelling my head off. I'd wager there are over 100 teams who would gladly trade their success with ours over the last decade. We've got a great thing going, and I'm just thankful that I even get a chance to see the Griz play.

WTF? How did you get to vote in two different categories?:)

bobbythekidd
May 19th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I said move up. You have the money, the fan support, the facilities, and a large enough recruiting footprint.

Other than logic, I applied only my own selfishness. GSU would be back in the drivers seat if all the playoff teams from 07 were gone.xnodxxnodxxlolx

JohnStOnge
May 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Rep points for you. What a novel concept.

In other words, it's none of our business. xcoolx

I disagree with that. It does impact other members of FCS when top FCS programs move to FBS.

elkmcc
May 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
It would be nice if we could spread some of this reasoned thinking around to the minority of Griz fans that have the issue fully thought out as to how great a move up would be.

or maybe...
I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because uh some uh people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh I believe that our ed- education like such as in South Africa and uh the- the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should uh our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or- or- should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.

Just like you said there old grizzly breath xeyebrowx.

ASUMountaineer
May 19th, 2008, 09:25 PM
or maybe...
I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because uh some uh people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh I believe that our ed- education like such as in South Africa and uh the- the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should uh our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or- or- should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.

Glad to see you reference her. She is hot, hot, hot...just like Appalachian.

bobbythekidd
May 19th, 2008, 09:36 PM
http://www.ideagrove.com/blog/uploaded_images/miss-teen-south-carolina%27s--739300.jpg

elkmcc
May 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
http://www.ideagrove.com/blog/uploaded_images/miss-teen-south-carolina%27s--739300.jpg

If I'm not LMAO I'm dying.xlolx

bobbythekidd
May 19th, 2008, 10:02 PM
If I'm not LMAO I'm dying.xlolx
Thank you, thank you.

Appreciation may be expressed as rep points. (see the blue box on the upper right)xlolx

ASUMountaineer
May 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM

That is hilarious...if only I were still in college. xsmiley_wix

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2008, 11:03 PM
or maybe...

ursus likes pac10jim, in spit of pac10jim trying to pick on ursus.

Tod
May 20th, 2008, 12:16 AM

I disagree, Hen, and I think you make a valid point why I disagree. Marshall.

Wouldn't it help FCS as a whole if Marshall was still selling out? Maybe not much, but a little.

If all FCS teams averaged 20,000 per game, it would only add to FCS, but when teams at the top leave for FBS, it has the opposite effect. It hurts FCS.

The best example would be ASU. Three time defending champion Michigan killers. If they go FBS, most at that level would shrug and say "of course". They would also take their huge fan base with them. But if they stay, it can help, like other teams and players that you mentioned, to draw attention to our brand of football.

Montana and Delaware and others hold a similar position. Like you've said before, and I agree to an extent, we lose a WKU but gain an NDSU. But it would be better to hold them both, IMO.

The way I see it, we need big fan bases and some media. We will never be (nor do we want to be) FBS, but we can improve FCS, and that's what we need.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 20th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I don't know who this "Mouse" guy is but he's got some sort of special powers or something because he was able to vote for each and every option.

already123
May 20th, 2008, 02:22 AM
no griz, no target in the BSC. Thought I feel the griz could make a splash in the WAC, I do feel the griz need to win another Natl championship or a semi finish before they strongly consider movin up. Whats the point of bringing Rice or Wyoming out of the WAC cellar?

uofmman1122
May 20th, 2008, 03:11 AM
WTF? How did you get to vote in two different categories?:)Whoever made the poll allowed people to check multiple boxes.

In Vb polls, input circles only let you pick one, but input boxes let you pick "all that apply." xlolx

If you'll all notice, I voted for "Griz fan voting NO" as a serious pick, and "Pee in my butt" for the lulz.

89Hen
May 20th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Wouldn't it help FCS as a whole if Marshall was still selling out? Maybe not much, but a little.

If all FCS teams averaged 20,000 per game, it would only add to FCS, but when teams at the top leave for FBS, it has the opposite effect. It hurts FCS.
That's a good point. I do like the fact that the success has been spread around since the days of the Marshall Invitational though. I wonder if programs like Boise, Idaho, Marshall, Troy... would have stayed, if programs like Montana, AppSt, McNeese would be as successful today. Not saying there's not room for everyone, but the top doesn't seem to like to be crowded. xeyebrowx

SideLine Shooter
May 20th, 2008, 08:59 AM
They should move up. They are too good to be in FCS...xnodx xnodx xnodx xbandwagonx xdeadhorsex xbabycryx

terrierbob
May 20th, 2008, 09:18 AM
No, we shouldn't.

Exactly. Similarly, I get pissed when people dis the Braves as underachievers.
Montana's beauty and tradition would be lost on the unwashed low bowlers.

TheBisonator
May 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
On an unrelated note, I LOVE this smiley.

xbandwagonx

elkmcc
May 20th, 2008, 06:22 PM
ursus likes pac10jim, in spit of pac10jim trying to pick on ursus.

pac10jim likes all and only picks his own nose. pac10jim also thinks ursus has a good sense of humor.xthumbsupx

Tod
May 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM
That's a good point. I do like the fact that the success has been spread around since the days of the Marshall Invitational though. I wonder if programs like Boise, Idaho, Marshall, Troy... would have stayed, if programs like Montana, AppSt, McNeese would be as successful today. Not saying there's not room for everyone, but the top doesn't seem to like to be crowded. xeyebrowx

Good point. You never know if certain teams would have risen to their year-in and year-out level of play if others moving to FBS hadn't left a void.

Food for thought...

And obviously what you meant when you stated (long ago) that for every WKU that moves up, there's an NDSU waiting in the wings.

Would Montana be where it's at if BSU, Idaho and Nevada had stayed in the Big Sky?

Hard to say, but I have to go with what I think is the obvious answer. I'd rather hang around and find out. We've already seen a lot of teams move to FBS, let's see what happens when they don't. Their choice, obviously, but just my wish and hope that they stay.

And that WE stay! :) :) xpeacex

Eyes of Old Main
May 21st, 2008, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't want to if I was them, but they aren't my favorite or second favorite team, so I can't vote since I'm not interested in the urine either.

BisonBacker
May 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
I hope Montana Stays FCS. They add to the whole FCS experience even though I like to rib the Montana posters they are all good guys, well most of them :p

proasu89
May 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM
Thank you, thank you.

Appreciation may be expressed as rep points. (see the blue box on the upper right)xlolx

xlolx
Rep Ho!

I actually hit ya before I saw this post. Can I take mine back?:D

AppStFan76
May 22nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
I wouldn't want to if I was them, but they aren't my favorite or second favorite team, so I can't vote since I'm not interested in the urine either.

I agree Eyes,

I find it disturbing the number of people who are willing to have their butt pee'd inxconfusedx

bobbythekidd
May 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
xlolx
Rep Ho!

I actually hit ya before I saw this post. Can I take mine back?:D
nope.xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
I agree Eyes,

I find it disturbing the number of people who are willing to have their butt pee'd inxconfusedx

I was more disturbed by the number of people that weren't willing.