PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

thirdgendin
October 8th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Let me start this off by saying that I don't know a ton about whoever your team's QB is unless you're a SoCon team. That said, there's no other QB in the country right now who I'd want to have leading my team at the end of a game than Ingle Martin of Furman.

Today's last-second win over Appalachian marks the third time this season and the fourth time in the last nine games that Martin had led Furman on a game-winning or tying drive in the final minute of the game.

Nov. 6, 2004: Martin leads Furman on a 7-play, 80-yard drive to defeat #3 Georgia Southern. Furman trailed 22-21 before Martin went 3-for-3 for 42 yards, and Jerome Felton scored the TD

Sept. 2, 2005: Trailing 35-31 with 1:22 remaining, Martin takes Furman 74 yards and throws the game-winning, 9-yard TD pass to Justin Stepp with no time remaining on the clock. On the drive, Martin is 5-for-6 for 46 yards and the TD along with rushing twice for 27 yards and a pair of first downs.

Sept. 24, 2005: With Hofstra leading Furman 35-28, Furman takes possession on the Pride 46 yard line with 2:53 on the clock. This time, Martin had an 8-yard run for a first down and went 1-for-1 for 6 yards on the game-tying TD pass to John Rust with 32 seconds remaining. In the second OT, Martin's QB sneak won the game.

Oct. 8, 2005: Facing their fourth consecutive heart-breaking defeat to Appalachian State, Martin guided Furman on a 14-play, 74-yard scoring drive, capped off with a 6-yard TD pass from Martin to Patrick Sprague with just 31 seconds on the clock. On the drive, Martin ran 2 times for 11 yards and went 5-for-8 through the air for 33 yards and the game-deciding score.

In total, Martin has taken the ball four times in the last nine games with his team trailing and needing a touchdown to either win or force overtime. In those four games, here are his stats on those drives:
Passing: 14-18, 127 yards, 3 TD
Rushing: 5-36

In addition, Martn led the Paladins to what looked like a game-winning score on a 52-yard TD pass against ASU with 2:03 remaining last season, but the defense didn't hold the lead.

THAT is clutch. It seems as if he's becomming somewhat like the John Elway of SoCon football.

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 10:04 PM
I don't know the # of comebacks, but I would think Lulay of Mont St could rival Martin

ngineer
October 8th, 2005, 10:05 PM
I said earlier in the APP/FU thread that I like Martin very much (although I thought App.St. would find a way to win with the momentum they seemed to have generated). He definitely has stood tall when needed.

catbob
October 8th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I can think of one other QB I'd take over Martin. :)

Baldy
October 8th, 2005, 10:10 PM
I can think of one other QB I'd take over Martin. :)

Me too. ;)

JMU2004
October 8th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Let me start this off by saying that I don't know a ton about whoever your team's QB is unless you're a SoCon team. That said, there's no other QB in the country right now who I'd want to have leading my team at the end of a game than Ingle Martin of Furman.

Today's last-second win over Appalachian marks the third time this season and the fourth time in the last nine games that Martin had led Furman on a game-winning or tying drive in the final minute of the game.

Nov. 6, 2004: Martin leads Furman on a 7-play, 80-yard drive to defeat #3 Georgia Southern. Furman trailed 22-21 before Martin went 3-for-3 for 42 yards, and Jerome Felton scored the TD

Sept. 2, 2005: Trailing 35-31 with 1:22 remaining, Martin takes Furman 74 yards and throws the game-winning, 9-yard TD pass to Justin Stepp with no time remaining on the clock. On the drive, Martin is 5-for-6 for 46 yards and the TD along with rushing twice for 27 yards and a pair of first downs.

Sept. 24, 2005: With Hofstra leading Furman 35-28, Furman takes possession on the Pride 46 yard line with 2:53 on the clock. This time, Martin had an 8-yard run for a first down and went 1-for-1 for 6 yards on the game-tying TD pass to John Rust with 32 seconds remaining. In the second OT, Martin's QB sneak won the game.

Oct. 8, 2005: Facing their fourth consecutive heart-breaking defeat to Appalachian State, Martin guided Furman on a 14-play, 74-yard scoring drive, capped off with a 6-yard TD pass from Martin to Patrick Sprague with just 31 seconds on the clock. On the drive, Martin ran 2 times for 11 yards and went 5-for-8 through the air for 33 yards and the game-deciding score.

In total, Martin has taken the ball four times in the last nine games with his team trailing and needing a touchdown to either win or force overtime. In those four games, here are his stats on those drives:
Passing: 14-18, 127 yards, 3 TD
Rushing: 5-36

In addition, Martn led the Paladins to what looked like a game-winning score on a 52-yard TD pass against ASU with 2:03 remaining last season, but the defense didn't hold the lead.

THAT is clutch. It seems as if he's becomming somewhat like the John Elway of SoCon football.

I know of one QB that you faced that had the most clutch drive in our program's history.

I will take Rascatti any and every day when the chips are on the table. Nothing bothers him

OL FU
October 9th, 2005, 01:55 PM
There are a lot of good ones. I'll take Martin certainly. But to be prefectly honest, I am glad Richie Williams had 31 seconds instead of 1:31 at the end of the game. He is another one on the list.