PDA

View Full Version : Tuskegee officials are now discussing a possible move to the SWAC!

SU Jag
May 18th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I've been hearing the rumblings for a little over a year now. Now its finally comming out that Tuskegee is pondering a move to the SWAC. Bad thing, the old traditionalist are 100% against the move.xsmhx

SU Jag
May 18th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Sorry for the typo!

jstate83
May 18th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I've been hearing the rumblings for a little over a year now. Now its finally comming out that Tuskegee is pondering a move to the SWAC. Bad thing, the old traditionalist are 100% against the move.xsmhx

That's in every case.
Intersting though.

SU Jag
May 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM
That's in every case.
Intersting though.

I dont think it will happen foe 3 reasons.

1. Noone in the SWAC has metioned an addition to the league since the Morris Brown/Tennessee State thing a few years back.

2. The old heads at TU aint having it. Add the fact that TU currently does not have the facilities to make the move.

3. The SWAC would have to add another team, I doubt that Tennessee State would make the jump, and Albany State is too far East.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM
It seems that sports-wise, Tuskegee is at 14 sports. They could add men's and women's golf without much financial burden and that would give them a good 16 sports, perfect for Div I requirements and the SWAC.

Are any of the Texas HBCUs at the NAIA level anywhere close to possible SWAC? I know the Louisiana schools are not (no football). Does not seem like private schools like the other Texas HBCUs would be a good idea though.

You are right about Tennessee State. They are doing extremely well for themselves in the OVC and that is rather impressive.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM
You only need 14 sports to play FCS.

16 for FBS.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2008, 06:08 PM
You only need 14 sports to play FCS.

16 for FBS.

That's incorrect. According to the NCAA, "Division I member institutions have to sponsor at least seven sports for men and seven for women (or six for men and eight for women) with two team sports for each gender."

http://www.ncaa.org/about/div_criteria.html

There are conferences which have specific regulations, like the Sun Belt, which requires a school to compete in 15 conference-recognized championship sports.

UAalum72
May 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Last I knew, seven plus seven = fourteen

20.9.7 football Bowl Subdivision requirements. [fBS] An institution classified in the football bowl
subdivision shall meet the additional requirements listed below. (Revised: 12/15/06)
20.9.7.1 Sports Sponsorship. The institution shall sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports,
including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw
20, including a minimum of six sports involving all-male teams or mixed teams of males and females, and a
minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate sports (of which a maximum of two emerging sports per Bylaw 20.02.5
may be used) based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20 and
involving all-female teams, subject to the waiver provision in Bylaw 20.9.4.1. (Revised: 1/11/94 effective 9/1/94;
compliance required during the 1993-94 academic year, 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04)

20.9.8 football Championship Subdivision requirements. [fCS] An institution classified as a foot-
ball championship subdivision member shall meet the additional requirements listed below. (Revised: 12/15/06)
20.9.8.1 Sports Sponsorship. [FCS] The institution shall sponsor in Division I a minimum of:
(a) Seven varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws
20.9.4 and 20.9.4.3 and involving all-male teams or mixed teams of males and females, and seven varsity
intercollegiate sports (of which a maximum of two emerging sports per Bylaw 20.02.5 may be utilized)
based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws 20.9.4 and 20.9.4.3 and involving all-female teams,
subject to the waiver provision in Bylaw 20.9.4.1, or (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/94, 1/11/94 effective
9/1/94; compliance required during the 1993-94 academic year)
(b) Six varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws
20.9.4 and 20.9.4.3 and involving all-male teams or mixed teams of males and females, and eight varsity
intercollegiate sports (of which a maximum of two emerging sports per Bylaw 20.02.5 may be utilized)
based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws 20.9.4 and 20.9.4.3 and involving all-female teams,

DFW HOYA
May 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Are any of the Texas HBCUs at the NAIA level anywhere close to possible SWAC?

Those HBCU's that are left are just trying to hang on.

Jarvis Chrisian and Paul Quinn (which absorbed Bishop College's assets in bankruptcy back in the 80's) are down to just 700 students each and four and five sports, respectively. Wiley College is down to 450 with four sports. Their athletics web site does not suggest people are paying attention, etither...

http://www.wileyc.edu/athletics/

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
The SWAC could always do what that one conference did (forget which - isn't it the CIAA bringing Chowan in?) and let a PWC school in.

Houston Baptist is seeking a conference. It'd be cheap (right in Houston, right by Texas Southern and PVA&M). While it has no football, it'd provide proper balance in every other sport.

SU Jag
May 18th, 2008, 07:53 PM
It seems that sports-wise, Tuskegee is at 14 sports. They could add men's and women's golf without much financial burden and that would give them a good 16 sports, perfect for Div I requirements and the SWAC.

Are any of the Texas HBCUs at the NAIA level anywhere close to possible SWAC? I know the Louisiana schools are not (no football). Does not seem like private schools like the other Texas HBCUs would be a good idea though.

You are right about Tennessee State. They are doing extremely well for themselves in the OVC and that is rather impressive.

I doubt it. Those schools have little to no fan support! Add the fact that I seriously doubt that the conference is talking expansion. I think we're a few years away from any kind of expansion.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I doubt it. Those schools have little to no fan support! Add the fact that I seriously doubt that the conference is talking expansion. I think we're a few years away from any kind of expansion.

The thing with the SWAC is that it will be relatively unaffected by the wave of conference realignment that should take place in the next few years, just as it was the last go around. Same for the MEAC.

The moratorium may come into effect though as it will allow Tuskegee a chance to move to Division I if they would like to see that out.

JagHammer
May 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I'm for it...don't see the harm.

WileECoyote06
May 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Whether or not Skeegee has the facilities, they certainly have the fanbase. As a matter of fact, their home fan base is larger than many of the schools already in the SWAC based on attendance records.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 19th, 2008, 09:13 AM
If you ad Tuskegee and another HBCU to the SWAC, you could kiss goodbye the idea of the SWAC giving up the SWAC championship game, IMO, since they'd have 12 teams... Plus you'd have four schools committed to Turkey Day weekend classics, amongst others (this year, Alcorn State plays Ark-PB during the playoffs too).

bigbluetiger
May 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I would like to see a new FBS conference with a mixture of HBCU's and PWC's with schools from Tn, AL and GA.

McNeese_beat
May 19th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Not a bad idea by Tuskegee. I wonder what the old academic elites there are saying though (as suggested earlier, the guess is they'd be against it).

Of course, they have to understand, doing what's best for your athletic department doesn't necessarily mean you are "selling out" to the athletic department...Duke is no less of an academic institution for having great basketball. Stanford is still a great school, despite being good in just about everything but football...

813Jag
May 19th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I already think that 10 is too many. xreadx

Mr. Tiger
May 19th, 2008, 05:05 PM
If you ad Tuskegee and another HBCU to the SWAC, you could kiss goodbye the idea of the SWAC giving up the SWAC championship game, IMO, since they'd have 12 teams... Plus you'd have four schools committed to Turkey Day weekend classics, amongst others (this year, Alcorn State plays Ark-PB during the playoffs too).

You could kiss that goodbye anyway. The SWAC Championship makes too much money to be eliminated. I would like to see my Tigers back in the playoffs again and I'm not the only one. But the SWAC Championship will remain and I can respectfully understand why. As for Tuskegee, I believe that one day they will be in the SWAC. But not anytime soon. And there really isn't any other team to consider except for Tennessee State, but that's a long shot at this point. And I have really never understood why. I guess their location plays a role.

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM
You could kiss that goodbye anyway. The SWAC Championship makes too much money to be eliminated. I would like to see my Tigers back in the playoffs again and I'm not the only one. But the SWAC Championship will remain and I can respectfully understand why. As for Tuskegee, I believe that one day they will be in the SWAC. But not anytime soon. And there really isn't any other team to consider except for Tennessee State, but that's a long shot at this point. And I have really never understood why. I guess their location plays a role.

Tennessee State is successful in the OVC -- won some nice championships this year. That conference is ahead of the SWAC from a competitive standpoint in almost every sport and not as much a problem travel-wise as the SWAC would be. Makes plenty of sense.

Mr. Tiger
May 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Tennessee State is successful in the OVC -- won some nice championships this year. That conference is ahead of the SWAC from a competitive standpoint in almost every sport and not as much a problem travel-wise as the SWAC would be. Makes plenty of sense.

I am not going to debate which conference is better because I respect the OVC. But TT, we all know the OVC isn't a great football conference. They were rated below the SWAC this year. And in basketball, the OVC was rated 28th and the SWAC was 31st. Tennessee State doesn't even have a baseball team. And beats me if the OVC is better in cross country running, bowling, and softball (might be, who knows). Plus, Tenn State has natural rivals in the SWAC and history, Jackson State, Southern, Grambling, and even Alabama A&M. They draw more fans playing those teams than Tennessee-Martin and Tennessee Tech. I just believe location plays a much larger role. TSU would have to travel to Texas and that's a long way.

SU Jag
May 20th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Check oot onnidan.com, I hear the current TSU president is talking SWAC!

813Jag
May 20th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Who would come in with them? What moves would be made to even out divisions. Alcorn and Jackson to the West? xconfusedx

McNeese_beat
May 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM

Win one measley baseball tournament and you get the big head...

SUjagTILLiDIE
May 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Wrong school. Tenn. St. They have been talking in for a while. Most of their fans want it.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 20th, 2008, 11:07 PM

xconfusedx

McNeese_beat
May 21st, 2008, 01:07 AM
xconfusedx

My bad...I thought he was talking Texas Southern and I wanted to acknowledge the Tigers' win in the SWAC tournament. ... Great win for Candy and the boys though, xsmiley_wix

Where do you think they're going, Rice or College Station? Maybe Baton Rouge?

Tod
May 21st, 2008, 02:42 AM
I don't know much about it, but as an Air Force vet Tuskegee has name recognition that only Southern and Grambling can possibly match on a national level (this from a guy from Montana, but my two cents).

I think this would be a good thing, as name recognition (to me) helps FCS football, would help the school, and would help the SWAC. It's why I want the SWAC back (fully) into the playoffs, and why I hope the Ivies will eventually join as well.

Other than that I don't know too much, but here ya go...

:) :) xpeacex

blackcaesar3k5
May 21st, 2008, 04:27 AM
Personally, I believe Tuskegee should consider staying in division II and focus on playing Alabama State earlier in the season.. therefore, the Golden Tigers would get the chance to particapte in division II playoffs.. If they do decide move to 1-aa level.. Tuskegee should take into consideration about joining the OVC conference..

813Jag
May 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Personally, I believe Tuskegee should consider staying in division II and focus on playing Alabama State earlier in the season.. therefore, the Golden Tigers would get the chance to particapte in division II playoffs.. If they do decide move to 1-aa level.. Tuskegee should take into consideration about joining the OVC conference..
I doubt that game will be moved, the only way it won't be played on Turkey Day is if they don't play at all.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 21st, 2008, 08:35 AM

They're just as tied to the Turkey Day Classic as GSU/SU are tied to Thanksgiving weekend in terms of funding athletic programs. Highly unlikely no matter what they do - stay in D-II, go to the SWAC, or go to the OVC.

Matter of fact, that tie-in to the Turkey Day Classic is why the move to the SWAC is the only one that (IMO) makes sense for them.

Personally, I'd love to see all of FCS' rivalries moved up for the playoffs. But that's unlikely to ever happen xsmhx

SU Jag
May 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM

There is more of a chance of Ohio State dropping football than any of that ever happening. The Turkey Day Classic is the oldest football classic in black college football, these two schools will never entertain the tought of moving the game from Thanksgiving Day, Period! Birmingham tried to get the schools to move the game up there but, on the weekend of Thanksgiving, TU and ASU said hell no! Why would TU move to the OVC? That would be a dumb move!

3rd Coast Tiger
May 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
My bad...I thought he was talking Texas Southern and I wanted to acknowledge the Tigers' win in the SWAC tournament. ... Great win for Candy and the boys though, xsmiley_wix

Where do you think they're going, Rice or College Station? Maybe Baton Rouge?

Although we'd love to get them out of Houston, Rice appears to be the Tiger's destination once again.

mikebigg
May 27th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I would like to see Tuskegee added to the conference... Grambling's first president was sent to us from Tuskegee, so there's that history. A good team to come with them would be FAMU but I doubt if they would leave the MEAC...but without the 9 game mandate, they could still play Hampton, BCC, and Howard which are historical rivals of theirs.