PDA

View Full Version : All this Stadium Talk is making me jealous!

furman94
May 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Ugh, Paladin Stadium, which opened in the early 80's, has only been touched a few times since its opening. It isn't the worst of stadiums, but it certainly isn't the best! Paladin Football needs to be recognized as the FCS Powerhouse that they have been and will continue to be!

WE HAVE NO STADIUM FOLDING SEATS! We have an outdated scoreboard. General Admission Side has NO Seat Backs! We have a great field, and a pristine campus, but why can't the HOME OF THE PALADINS be pristine too?! All of our other sports venues are modern, and beautiful, so why can't our aged football sanctuary be beautiful too?!

Its not like we don't have the money, or the million dollar donors. I know FU isn't the only University dealing with Theou Upgrade Blues!

TheBisonator
May 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Don't be embarrassed by your stadium. It's not crappy at all, if anything, it's just no-frills. I've been to many worse stadiums than that. SDSU's stadium makes your place look like an SEC facility. I wouldn't be concerned about the state of that place. It looks like a great place to watch a game. I especially like the changing slope in the reserved seating grandstand.

Grizzaholic
May 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
If you ever make it out this way I am pretty sure I can get you a couple of tickets to a Griz game.

georgiaeagle
May 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Paladin Stadium isn't bad, but it's not up to par with the rest of the FU campus. A new fieldhouse and scoreboard would go a long way.

furman94
May 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
A new fieldhouse and pressbox alone would do WONDERS! If FU caters to the Wine and Cheese crowd, why haven't we added boxes to the fieldhouse or Press Box for the rich folks?

Dane96
May 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM
http://www.albany.edu/sports/images/facilities/football-field-arial.jpg

'NUFF SAID.

Now quit your whinin'!

furman94
May 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM
IM NOT WHINING! Just pointing out what could and should be looked at for many FCS schools. A stadium improvement draws in support from donors, and brings excitement among fans. A win-win!

APPALACHIANstate
May 15th, 2008, 08:29 PM
the scoreboard says

"welcome to the dung"

yeah seems pretty *****ty.

Dane96
May 15th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Furman...are you a complete d-bag. YOU JUST GAVE ME NEGATIVE REP? FOR WHAT...I was kidding when I said quit your whinin....because look at the **** we got.

PATHETIC.

bostonspider
May 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I wish we had that stadium on UR's campus. Our stadium is 15 minutes from campus in the middle of nowhere, and to call it bare bones would be a compliment. We will now be building something sized for a high school, even if it will be beautiful and on campus.

From this

http://www.impactsoccer.com/stades/richmond2.jpg

To this

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/aerialwithendzonestands-500.jpg

mountaineertider
May 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM
extremely random thought, but is it just me, or does anyone else think that the Richmond shield logo would look cool at midfield?

http://www.richmond.edu/_common_/images/UR_4c.gif

bostonspider
May 15th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I always thought that with that logo, we could have the checker board endzone like UTenn, in red and white with a nice thick blue border all the way around it....

GeauxLions94
May 15th, 2008, 10:56 PM
If only we could all have this ...

Boone Pickens Stadium (http://www.okstate.com/fls/200/stadium/stadium.html)

This is what we're doing with ours (and will be ready for the 2008 season)
http://www.lionsports.net/stats/Photos/Facilities/Pressbox_Web/index.html

T-Dog
May 16th, 2008, 03:41 AM
If only we could all have this ...

Boone Pickens Stadium (http://www.okstate.com/fls/200/stadium/stadium.html)

That gives me the vibes of "We need our hydrotherapy pools, flat screen TV's in the dining hall and concierge services to look so danged nice to cover up our constant 6-5 records and inability to beat OU or Texas."

Hopefully they have an open bar on the coaches level for those long hauls. I mean, after all, their coach is a man (and he's forty!)

That is a rather big video board though. Reminds me of the one in SkyDome in Toronto.

Eyes of Old Main
May 16th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Paladin Stadium, like Gibbs Stadium at Wofford, is nice and gets the job done. Neither has many top-notch amenities, but they are more than servicable. I'd probably rate Furman's a little higher, although the visitor's side ticket booth is completely disorganized. But, trust me, there are much worse places to watch a game.

BeauFoster
May 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
That gives me the vibes of "We need our hydrotherapy pools, flat screen TV's in the dining hall and concierge services to look so danged nice to cover up our constant 6-5 records and inability to beat OU or Texas."

Hopefully they have an open bar on the coaches level for those long hauls. I mean, after all, their coach is a man (and he's forty!)

That is a rather big video board though. Reminds me of the one in SkyDome in Toronto.

Don't knock the hydrotherapy pools, ASU will have at least two in their new facilty. Actually, the square footage of the locker room and training/weight rooms is about what ours will be as well. But that video was awesome. I would love to see something like that for KBS.

Stang Fever
May 16th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I wish we had that stadium on UR's campus. Our stadium is 15 minutes from campus in the middle of nowhere, and to call it bare bones would be a compliment. We will now be building something sized for a high school, even if it will be beautiful and on campus.

From this

http://www.impactsoccer.com/stades/richmond2.jpg

To this

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/aerialwithendzonestands-500.jpg

You might not like your stadium but it is a nice stadium because its ON CAMPUS. that will help with attendance. Having the stadium off campus is a joke

andy7171
May 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM
You might not like your stadium but it is a nice stadium because its ON CAMPUS. that will help with attendance. Having the stadium off campus is a joke

Yeah, but Richmond COULD support a bigger facility in the same on campus location. Richmond is in the same boat Towson was in, being in a residential area. For years, Towson wanted to upgrade their stadium but the residents didn't want to put up with the noise and traffic and leaned on the AD and school president. We finally got a AD who had the ballz to say "F U we're building it"

I hope the new stadium Richmond builds has seating upgrades pre-built into the plans like Towson. We have a phase III and phase IV that would take the capacity from 11K to @14.5K and 18K if need be.

MplsBison
May 16th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I'm sure Furman will be looking into standard upgrades like a Daktronics video boards and new artificial turf.

andy7171
May 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I'm sure Furman will be looking into standard upgrades like a Daktronics video boards and new artificial turf.

Towson is getting a new Jumbotron video board after the Basketball arena is upgraded next year. We've had the same scoreboard since the D.III days in the late 70's. xnonono2x

WUTNDITWAA
May 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
extremely random thought, but is it just me, or does anyone else think that the Richmond shield logo would look cool at midfield?

http://www.richmond.edu/_common_/images/UR_4c.gif

Or on the side of a Purina Dog Food bag.:D

HiHiYikas
May 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I'm really looking forward to UR's new stadium, even though my running group meets at the soccer (soon-to-be-football) field every saturday morning. I'd love to see more local interest in the Spiders.

Say what you want to about University Stadium, it's silly to call it "the middle of nowhere."

Not many "middle of nowhere" locations have their own exit on something called the Downtown Expressway.

Not many "middle of nowhere" locations are literally 4 streets away from an old-money neighborhood where $750K gets you the smallest house on the block. Or 5 blocks away from one of Richmond's busiest shopping districts.

I drive by UR's stadium 3 or 4 times a week. My wife drives by everyday on her way to work. I'm amazed by how many freak "middle of nowhere" traffic jams there are over there.

HiHiYikas
May 16th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Or on the side of a Purina Dog Food bag.:D
A friend of mine was a student rep to the committee that approved that logo. She's not too wild about it.

I don't think it looks too bad. It fits the University at least.

Skjellyfetti
May 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM
We will now be building something sized for a high school, even if it will be beautiful and on campus.

I think that stadium looks really, really nice. I'd rather have a packed, gorgeous stadium than a larger, less attractive stadium.

georgiaeagle
May 16th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I think that stadium looks really, really nice. I'd rather have a packed, gorgeous stadium than a larger, less attractive stadium.

I agree completely on this, especially if the larger stadium is empty and the smaller one is overflowing. Looks to me like UR will finally have a great place to call home.

Death Dealer
May 16th, 2008, 07:33 PM
A new fieldhouse and pressbox alone would do WONDERS! If FU caters to the Wine and Cheese crowd, why haven't we added boxes to the fieldhouse or Press Box for the rich folks?I'd buy one if they built them!xnodx

HiHiYikas
May 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I agree completely on this, especially if the larger stadium is empty and the smaller one is overflowing. Looks to me like UR will finally have a great place to call home.
The field and some of the stands are already there...it's an absolutely gorgeous site, right at home on a very picturesque campus.

furman94
May 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Furman...are you a complete d-bag. YOU JUST GAVE ME NEGATIVE REP? FOR WHAT...I was kidding when I said quit your whinin....because look at the **** we got.

PATHETIC.

MY BAD! I'm not that big of a d-bag; I meant to + rep you and I hit the wrong button! I'll load you up next round! I'm really sorry about that! As I was saying, don't you have upgrades in the works?

furman94
May 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM

EVER NEVER EVER! FU has some of the best grass around! NO TURF!

EmeryZach
May 16th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Just saw the T. Boone Pickens stadium video for OSU and I have to say that that man has waaaaaaaaaay too much money. I mean I have reason to hate him (stealing our basketball coach), but seriously if one man can pay for that whole stadium, then he has too much money.

furman94
May 16th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Tell me about it! That stadium is downright sinful! Its a beauty! Look at that video board!

catdaddy2402
May 16th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Paladin Stadium is a fine venue. It just needs a few minor upgrades.

T-Dog
May 17th, 2008, 12:26 AM

Plus in the South Carolina sun that stuff will be like an oven. Fake grass is only good for cold temp climates.

EmeryZach
May 17th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Plus in the South Carolina sun that stuff will be like an oven. Fake grass is only good for cold temp climates.

Naw, fake turf (if it is the good stuff) is always awesome, doesn't matter where it is.

SoCon48
May 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Ugh, Paladin Stadium, which opened in the early 80's, has only been touched a few times since its opening. It isn't the worst of stadiums, but it certainly isn't the best! Paladin Football needs to be recognized as the FCS Powerhouse that they have been and will continue to be!

WE HAVE NO STADIUM FOLDING SEATS! We have an outdated scoreboard. General Admission Side has NO Seat Backs! We have a great field, and a pristine campus, but why can't the HOME OF THE PALADINS be pristine too?! All of our other sports venues are modern, and beautiful, so why can't our aged football sanctuary be beautiful too?!

Its not like we don't have the money, or the million dollar donors. I know FU isn't the only University dealing with Theou Upgrade Blues!

Sandblasting the old concrete would help.

SoCon48
May 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Yeah, that's what a couple hitch hiking hippies told me.xcoolx

Death Dealer
May 17th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah, that's what a couple hitch hiking hippies told me.xcoolxwas that you!?! Man, you need to get a new muffler. xlolx

furman94
May 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Sandblasting the old concrete would help.

I agree! A good pressurewashing would do wonders!

SoCon48
May 17th, 2008, 09:48 PM
was that you!?! Man, you need to get a new muffler. xlolx

No muffs, just straight pipes.

Tod
May 18th, 2008, 02:21 AM

I agree. Nice looking stadium, very nice, in fact. Fill it! xthumbsupx xnodx

DFW HOYA
May 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Meanwhile in Washington...

"Construction on the Multi-Sport Facility, which began more than a year and a half ago, has been stalled for over a year, and university officials said that there is still no timetable for the long-awaited improvements to the stadium."

This was written two years ago.

http://www.thehoya.com/node/5044

IndianaAppMan
May 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
"Ugh, Paladin Stadium, which opened in the early 80's, has only been touched a few times since its opening. It isn't the worst of stadiums, but it certainly isn't the best! Paladin Football needs to be recognized as the FCS Powerhouse that they have been and will continue to be!

Its not like we don't have the money, or the million dollar donors. I know FU isn't the only University dealing with Theou Upgrade Blues!"

I'm an App grad but I grew up Greenville. In fact, one of my good buddies is Will Bouton, the awesome linebacker for Furman from '97-'01. I don't think Furman's got things so bad. Like you said, everything on campus is really nice, especially for being a very small school. From what I've heard, Furman would never, ever consider moving up to FBS, which makes sense. Furman is all about academics. Their football players, mostly, would get accepted to Furman regardless of their athletic talent. They might eventually upgrade the stadium a bit, but I really don't think they're hurting without it.

Schools like App State, Montana, and James Madison know that FBS is at least a possibility down the road, so they have a greater need to upgrade. With more graduates, there's going to be more fans for those schools. Besides, I don't think it takes a seat back to enjoy a football game if it's a team you love, although bathroom upgrades do help. Will never complained once about the facilities at Furman