PDA

View Full Version : JMU is my new number 1

blur2005
October 8th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I know I might be slightly biased, but considering the way JMU has played since that Coastal game, I'm pretty sure we're the best team in the country.

Tod
October 8th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Well, considering they were my #2, I'd have to agree here... :nod: :nod: :)

Eaglegus2
October 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I have a little evaluating to do before I say that JMU is #1 this week.

I do believe another Team may get the nod. :nod:

Don't get me wrong. I have stuck by JMU when others have doubted them.

th0m
October 8th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Even though JMU has dominated their 2 conference games, it is so hard to predict how they will fare against UMass, W&M and even against Delaware and Towson (Yes, I said it! :p). I know I'm leaving out Richmond and Villanova, but even they could cause an upset. 1 league loss is okay, but I think there is a lot of stuff to work on for us. I'm glad Rabil hit his FG, but what happened with the Safety? I was listening online so I couldn't read too much into it, but that was very unlike Rascati. I will still look at every game as if we could lose it, which is probably not so good for my heart, but more enjoyable in the end ;)

umassfan
October 8th, 2005, 06:18 PM
I know I might be slightly biased, but considering the way JMU has played since that Coastal game, I'm pretty sure we're the best team in the country.

Enjoy... because next sat you face the nations best!

JMU2004
October 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Enjoy... because next sat you face the nations best!

UMass D and JMU D are about equal.....both are nasty

I do think our offense is a better than the UMass O.

Special Teams will be the difference...just don't know which way

JMU2004
October 8th, 2005, 06:24 PM

We are not #1....and I don't want to be

Let Montana have that honor

umassfan
October 8th, 2005, 06:27 PM
UMass D and JMU D are about equal.....both are nasty

I do think our offense is a better than the UMass O.

Special Teams will be the difference...just don't know which way

Our offense took a hit today as our top WR went down injured... our running game has improved over the past couple weeks with our OLine getting back slowly... Should be a fun one to watch

colgate13
October 8th, 2005, 06:36 PM
My polls will have WKU in the top spot followed by JMU. Cal Poly (if they win), Montana and Furman round out the top five. The rest? I'm not even going to try that right now. What a topsy turvy year so far!!!!

JALMOND
October 8th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I'll see your bias and do you one better---

All year the Big Sky conference has emerged as the best I-AA conference in the land. Seven of the eight teams can still make a legitimate arguement for the conference title. This conference played six teams from Division I-A BCS conferences and fared pretty well (no wins, but good showings by all). My point is this, I would say that a loss to a I-A BCS member should weigh a lot more in favor than a loss to Central Connecticut or Coastal Carolina.

That said, if Montana beats Idaho State today, they should be #1.

umassfan
October 8th, 2005, 06:40 PM

All year the Big Sky conference has emerged as the best I-AA conference in the land. Seven of the eight teams can still make a legitimate arguement for the conference title. This conference played six teams from Division I-A BCS conferences and fared pretty well (no wins, but good showings by all). My point is this, I would say that a loss to a I-A BCS member should weigh a lot more in favor than a loss to Central Connecticut or Coastal Carolina.

It could be a good thing that 7 of 8 could win it or it could be a bad thing... No one in the big sky scares me this season.

JMU2004
October 8th, 2005, 06:42 PM

I agree...JMU got sent on the road b/c of a BCS loss.....if we had been 10-1, we would have had a couple home games, but the loss to WVU ended up hurting us in the eyes of the selection panel

JMU2004
October 8th, 2005, 06:43 PM
It could be a good thing that 7 of 8 could win it or it could be a bad thing... No one in the big sky scares me this season.

I agree...Montana was scary last year...not as much this year

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Be careful what you wish for... there is a lot of snow in Montana in Nov/Dec ;)

Sam Adams
October 8th, 2005, 07:07 PM
JMU coming into Amherst wearing a No 1 ranking. I like that !!! :nod:

Tod
October 8th, 2005, 07:11 PM

EVERYBODY in the Big Sky scares me this season. I'm not so sure about the A-10, though. The conference is good, but they're not what they were last year.

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 07:12 PM
EVERYBODY in the Big Sky scares me this season. I'm not so sure about the A-10, though. The conference is good, but they're not what they were last year.
Sacramento..... NAU?????

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Cal-Poly is up 27 over NDSU at halftime, they have also blown out Montana St this year as well

one could make a strong case for them as #1

catbob
October 8th, 2005, 09:14 PM

To be honest, no one in IAA really scares me this year. #1 seems to lose about every week.

I'd say JMU should be #1 right now, Cal Poly should be up there as well. Tx State is making a good case for a good ranking. SIU is just SIU.

Gravs4Dukes
October 8th, 2005, 09:57 PM
JMU was in form today. Considering Nebraska beat Maine 25-7 and JMU defeated them 38-2, I think the I-AA National Champs should be moved back into the first spot.

GSU Eagle
October 8th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I am still working on it, but I probably will have #1 WKU and in some order Montana, Southern Illinois and James Madison at 2-4.

Toppermaniac
October 8th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I am still working on it, but I probably will have #1 WKU and in some order Montana, Southern Illinois and James Madison at 2-4.

As a WKU fan and alum, I certainly appreciate the vote of confidence, but WKU is not the # 1 team in the country. We have a better offense than the past few years, but our defense is not anywhere near as good or dominant as it has been in the past 5-7 years. We have had a horrific number of injuries on that side of the ball, but even our starters that are All-American candidates and haven't been out with injuries aren't playing that well. Hopefully we'll progress as the season goes on, but for right now, our offense is carrying us and that's just not the WKU way.

rcny46
October 8th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Cal-Poly is up 27 over NDSU at halftime, they have also blown out Montana St this year as well

one could make a strong case for them as #1

Agreed.

AZGrizFan
October 9th, 2005, 12:23 AM
I agree...Montana was scary last year...not as much this year

Be careful what you wish for. We just found a quarterback to go with that defense. Umassfan, you'd better be scared.

AZGrizFan
October 9th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Sacramento..... NAU?????

OK...OK. We consider those guys provisional members this year... :D :D

bkrownd
October 9th, 2005, 12:45 AM

Too bad you'll only be on top for a week. :)

DuckDuckGriz
October 9th, 2005, 01:12 AM
We are not #1....and I don't want to be

Let Montana have that honor

Thanks but no thanks ;)

JALMOND
October 9th, 2005, 04:17 AM
This whole thread just proves to me that there is an east coast bias in college football. How can anyone justify putting JMU with their loss to Coastal ahead of Montana (only loss to BCS member Oregon)? Is Coastal that good? Also, with this thread being posted before some of the west coast games even starting, are you all voting right now? Truthfully, no one east of the Mississippi scares me.

JMU Duke Dog
October 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM
JMU's head coach Mickey Matthews said "I don't think we played well on offense. Something is missing." This was in reference to yesteryday's 38 to 2 victory over Maine.

Stang Fever
October 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM
This whole thread just proves to me that there is an east coast bias in college football. How can anyone justify putting JMU with their loss to Coastal ahead of Montana (only loss to BCS member Oregon)? Is Coastal that good? Also, with this thread being posted before some of the west coast games even starting, are you all voting right now? Truthfully, no one east of the Mississippi scares me.

After reading all these cooments...I agree, its obvious of the east coast bias....Everyone knows that Montana is not playing good football right now...But until someone beats them to knock them down you have to be talking about them being #1 or #2 they lost to Oregon...get off your High Horses for a second and think about that 1 lose they have...Just about every team in 1-AA is going to loose that game...

Poly has 1 lose and thats to I-A Troy State....now they are no Oregon but they should be in the top 5 if not 5 no lower then 7

89Hen
October 9th, 2005, 12:44 PM
This whole thread just proves to me that there is an east coast bias in college football.... Truthfully, no one east of the Mississippi scares me.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DaGriz
October 9th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Our offense took a hit today as our top WR went down injured

Our QB went down and I think somehow we actually got better.

OL FU
October 9th, 2005, 01:00 PM
After reading all these cooments...I agree, its obvious of the east coast bias....Everyone knows that Montana is not playing good football right now...But until someone beats them to knock them down you have to be talking about them being #1 or #2 they lost to Oregon...get off your High Horses for a second and think about that 1 lose they have...Just about every team in 1-AA is going to loose that game...

Poly has 1 lose and thats to I-A Troy State....now they are no Oregon but they should be in the top 5 if not 5 no lower then 7

Don't know about east cost bias, but WKU has only lost to Auburn and Montana on to Oregon. Gotta to keep them above JMU at present.

JALMOND
October 9th, 2005, 05:53 PM
My final thought on this, you Easterners should be very afraid of four teams out west, Montana, Montana State, Cal Poly and N.D. State. While you all are tucked safely in your beddies, these four are still playing tough football. I'd feel very good about my chances with these four against any team east of the Mississippi. Try to tell me why a game vs Coastal doesn't matter, or Towson is good or Bucknell is right there, while telling me that the Big Sky sucks or the Great West is mediocre...sorry, I ain't buying it anymore.

th0m
October 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Without wanting to turn this into a smack-thread, you think there are only 4 teams west of the Mississippi that have good chances against any team in the east?

Sam Adams
October 9th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Why should JMU be "afraid" of Cal Poly? They aren't going to meet until at least the playoffs and there is much football to be played before then. You think those 4 teams will run the table? Very Doubtful.

As for east coast bias, that is your perception. There is an awful lot of respect for our left coast 1AA brothers. We know you guys play good football. The problem is this flawed ranking system - it is not logical, doesn't make much sense and it begins too early in the season. We have always had teams that are overrated or underrated. If your team is underrated you justifiably feel that there is some bias or unfairness. But its not really east v. west - its the dang poll itself.

Thank God we are in 1AA and we get to settle things on the field in a playoff system. If Cal Poly is the best team - they will have the opportunity to prove it in 1AA.

charliej
October 9th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Our QB went down and I think somehow we actually got better.

Funny stuff. :D

DaGriz
October 9th, 2005, 06:49 PM
You think those 4 teams will run the table? Very Doubtful.

Not doubtful but impossible if by "run the table" you mean not lose any more games the rest of the year. Griz play Poly this weekend and EWU next weekend. Poly and EWU play each other in 3 weeks.

If Poly finishes with one loss this year they have to be the favorite going into the playoffs. At MSU, at Montana, take on NDSU and then an easy homecoming against EWU. Don't forget Davis that beat Stanford, then they finish out with ISU, which is no push over.

89Hen
October 9th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Montana State
Name the last team Montana State beat east of the Dakotas.

MadisonFootball
October 9th, 2005, 07:48 PM
We have some making up to do since our loss. Lets just wait and see how things go. Personally I think we are a better rounded team than last year, but we will have to wait and see. The A-10 is long, hard, and unforgiving. Everyone is a contender.

Eaglegus2
October 9th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Don't know about east cost bias, but WKU has only lost to Auburn and Montana on to Oregon. Gotta to keep them above JMU at present.

I have positioned two west coast teams between WKU & JMU.

No east coast bias or west coast bias. Just rank them the way I think they should be.

Hansel
October 9th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Name the last team Montana State beat east of the Dakotas.
It's difficult to beat teams you don't play

89Hen
October 9th, 2005, 08:26 PM
It's difficult to beat teams you don't play
Only at playoff time. UNI and McNeese, loss, loss. That being said, MSU would knock the snot out of UD this year, but who wouldn't? :(

Sam Adams
October 9th, 2005, 08:36 PM
That being said, MSU would knock the snot out of UD this year, but who wouldn't? :(

Oh something tells me that UD is a pretty good tackle football team. They have some "issues" but they will take care of the spiders and go on from 10/15/05 to consistently improve over the course of the season. They have talent and coaching and UD will get it going, which is unfortunate for the rest of the A10.