PDA

View Full Version : UD vs. DSU Game Argument Continues

RadMann
April 24th, 2005, 07:17 AM
The article linked below is another in a long line of articles from the local Wilmington, DE newspaper arguing for a Delaware/Delaware State game. As noted in the article the prime advocates for such a game are DSU folks. I don't see such a game hapening, but you never know.

Wilmington News Journal (http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/local/2005/04/24willthehensplay.html)

ChickenMan
April 24th, 2005, 07:48 AM
I'm not the biggest supporter of a UD/DSU game... but UD isn't looking too good by continuing to avoid this game and it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. Our "man on a string"... AD Mr Edgar Johnson... apparently will even go as far as to not achedule a 12th game to avoid having to play DSU. He was quoted in another article in today's paper as saying UD won't play a 12th game because they have to "protect the kids"... protect the kids... :confused:... from what... those dreaded DSU Hornets...???

"We're not doing things for the right reasons and we're not putting the kids first," Johnson told reporter Kevin Tresolini of The News Journal in explaining his stance against the proposal. "The kids want to play games, but we have to protect them."

There have been a lot of excuses made by UD as to why they can't schedule DSU... but that one takes the cake.

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/sports/frank/04242005.html

Delaware Ghostrider II
April 24th, 2005, 10:24 AM
As much as I would like to see UD/DSU....would it REALLY be worth the time and money> :confused:

89Hen
April 24th, 2005, 10:34 AM
"Because Delaware State is a [historically black college], I always had this subtle feeling that, no matter how good we were, we were always second-rate to Delaware," Horace said. "I think I'll always have that sense, that [DSU] is always going to be the 'other' school in the state."

No, you'll always be the 'other' school in the state because you've never had a consistantly good program and you draw 2,500 fans to games. :nono:

89Hen
April 24th, 2005, 10:35 AM
"I see [the 12th game addition] as the perfect opportunity for them to schedule Delaware State at least once," said John Medkeff, 43, a lifelong UD fan from Glasgow. "There's no reason for them not to play. I'm just sick of the excuses. The thing that irks me the most is the obvious avoidance. [UD administrators] think the process is worth it to look bad, but why? They usually go out of their way not to look bad."

I don't know how this clown can call himself a true Hen fan. :p

mainejeff
April 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
So Delaware will not being playing a 12th game once the NCAA goes to 12? That seems surprising.

NEZ
April 25th, 2005, 02:49 PM
They'll play a 12th game, just not against DSU. :deadhorse
The only way I see UD/DSU game is that UD host every year, which I don't think DSU would agree to. Only time will tell.

colgate13
April 25th, 2005, 03:21 PM
oh come on UD - play them one home and home, kick their asses and tell them to try again in 20 years...

MR. CHICKEN
April 25th, 2005, 03:31 PM
KNUCKLE-DRAGGERS.......DUH ONLY WAY WE PLAY DELAWARE STATE....IS.....DEY GOTTA MAKE DA TOURNEY!.......WHY DO YOU THINK I CHOSE DUH MONIKER..."MR. CHICKEN"?........WE WILL PLAY VILLANOVA TWICE...B/4...EDGAR WILL SKED DUH "STINGERS"!..............AN' ONCE UH GAME WHIFF DUH HORNETS GOES DOWN....DUH HYPE WILL DIE....JES' LIKE IN ROUND-BALL AN' BASE(WATCHIN' GRASS GROW)[email protected]/meac=dookielogs!! :deadhorse

89Hen
April 25th, 2005, 07:19 PM
oh come on UD - play them one home and home, kick their asses and tell them to try again in 20 years...

21,000 fans x $18 = $378,000
8,000 cars x $10 = $80,000
10,000 hot dogs x $3 = $30,000
100 sweatshirts x $40 = $4,000.....

89Hen
April 25th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Not appearing to be too big for your britches and playing the in-state I-AA school... PRICELESS! ;)

Bowing to the pressure of a bunch of people with their hands out... worthless.

MR. CHICKEN
April 25th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Not appearing to be too big for your britches and playing the in-state I-AA playoff conference school home and home... PRICELESS! ;)

THE MEAC IS UH "THUG" CONFERENCE!..........WHIFF FLORIDA A&M'S ATTEMPT TA GO I-A.......TA DELAWARE STATE'S USIN' UH GRADUATED STUDENT AT RUNNIN' BACK ONE YEAR............WHY WOULD ANYBODY ASSOCIATE WHIFF DIS MESS O' UH [email protected]/dissin'dameac xazzx xazzx

Retro
April 25th, 2005, 08:24 PM

Exactly.. I think once they've been blown out a couple of times againest another state school, they will go back to the weaker conferences. :bang:

89Hen
April 25th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Not even a smiley on that??? :eyebrow:

Nope. I am 100% opposed to UD playing DSU at this point in time.

89Hen
April 25th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Does UD think DSU is trying to pimp UD for fans/$$$?

Why would DSU be so adament about playing UD if it weren't trying to get something out of it? State pride? Please.

Retro
April 25th, 2005, 10:39 PM
So you're saying UD should only play schools that play in power conferences? What about them playing a D-II team every year?

No, but if DSU is so anxious to play UD, then give them a shot! Once they realize that UD is above even the best MEAC team, they won't whine about it so often!

ISUMatt
April 25th, 2005, 10:55 PM
No, but if DSU is so anxious to play UD, then give them a shot! Once they realize that UD is above even the best MEAC team, they won't whine about it so often!

Good Point

MR. CHICKEN
April 26th, 2005, 08:11 AM
So you're saying UD should only play schools that play in power conferences? What about them playing a D-II team every year?

RALPHIE MAH LAD...................WEST CHESTER FINISHED IN DUH FINAL FOUR O' D-II LAST SEASON!.......DEY GAVE DUH HENS ALL DAT DEY COULD HANDLE...AN' WOULD'VE CLEANED DUH HORNETS NEST BIG TIME!.....AH AM NOT IN FAVOR O' DELAWARE PLAYIN' D-II OPPONENTS..DUE TA DUH TIE BREAKIN' RULE IN I-AA...........BUT PEOPLE IN OURAH STATE KNOW THIS INSTITUTION......AN' ALOT OF HEN FANS DON'T WANT THIS GAME TA HAPPEN........IT IS RUMORED DAT RULY CARPENTER..(UH BIG DELAWARE SUPPORTER....OUR BASKETBALL ARENA IS NAMED FOR HIS DAD..AN' FORMER PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES OWNER) OBJECTS TA DIS MATCHUP!.....DEL.ST. HAS UH GRADUATION RATE O' APPX. 35%...NOT TALKIN' ATHLETES BUT REAL STUDENTS!.....THEY HAVE UH CRAZY DREAM O' BECOMIN' 1-A....WHILE DEY HAD UH TOTAL OF 17,000 ATTENDANCE FOR DERE HOME GAMES LAST SEASON!............DEY WANT TA BUILD UH $75 MIL SPORTS COMPLEX?........AH WOULD CONSIDER DEM DUH PRARIE VIEW A&M O' DUH EAST COAST!.............. :twocents:[email protected]/ xsmoochx

ChickenMan
April 26th, 2005, 08:13 AM
I'm kind of ambiguous toward a DSU/UD game at the current time... but I can certainly understand why DSU would love to play UD and I don't think it's for the money. A game vs UD would certainly boost DSU's image and elevate their 1AA credibility. There is no down side for DSU... they would have absolutely nothing to lose... but a whole lot to gain. If they get blown out... so what... didn't everyone expect that? If they play a close game... it's almost as good as a win and if they actually upset the Hens... break out the champagne in Dover. Unfortunately for UD the situation is the exact opposite... nothing to gain... but a whole lot to lose. There are probably other factors as well... with security concerns likely being at the top of the list. I'd like to see a DSU/UD game sometime... but it seems to me that the only way it's going to happen in the near future is if DSU and UD meet in the 1AA playoffs.

henfan
April 26th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Why would DSU be so adament about playing UD if it weren't trying to get something out of it?

Adament?! They've asked for games and been rebuffed. They've responded when prompted by the media. That's the extent of it.

I know just a little about the situation beyond speculation, having spoken to current and former ADs, coaches and players directly about the subject. If anything, I'd say after waiting to play such an obvious game for 37 years, DSU has been anything but adament. IMO, if they wanted, they would have plenty of grounds and ample opportunity to display that sentiment. They could have done what has been done in several other states and pressed politicians to get involved. They haven't. So far DSU's taken the high road.

Most of the people calling publicly for a game between the two teams have been Delawareans (i.e.- people who live in the State and sponsor both schools with their tax dollars) and the Delaware media.

The manner in which the mention of DSU rankles so many tailfeathers is an interesting phenomenon and, I think, something uniquely Delaware. Mention Albany- nothing. Holy Cross- nothing. West Chester- grumblings but nothing over the top. Del State- can't play them once because the competitive balance of UD's schedule will be forever damaged, pillars of Delaware Stadium will collapse, &c. Odd that a program that would be deemed so insignificant would illicit such a severe reaction.

89Hen
April 26th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Adament?! They've asked for games and been rebuffed. They've responded when prompted by the media. That's the extent of it.

I know just a little about the situation beyond speculation, having spoken to current and former ADs, coaches and players directly about the subject. If anything, I'd say after waiting to play such an obvious game for 37 years, DSU has been anything but adament. IMO, if they wanted, they would have plenty of grounds and ample opportunity to display that sentiment. They could have done what has been done in several other states and pressed politicians to get involved. They haven't. So far DSU's taken the high road.

Weren't there quotes from DSU officials that basically said we'll play them any where any time... they won't play us... the ball's in their court... it would benefit everyone... they are racists... these statements are adament to me and they display this sentiment every chance they get. Getting politicians involved? That would be complete lunacy.

MR. CHICKEN
April 26th, 2005, 08:40 AM
DON'T THINK DELAWARE IS BEIN' RACIST!...AFTERAH ALL.....WE PLAY DEM IN BASEBALL AN' ROUND-BALL!........IT'S JUST UH SIMPLE MATTER O' OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM BEIN' ELITE......AN' DERE'S IS......WELL?????.........LET'S BUZZ AWHILE! :asswhip:

89Hen
April 26th, 2005, 08:45 AM
if DSU is so anxious to play UD, then give them a shot! Once they realize that UD is above even the best MEAC team, they won't whine about it so often!

Two problems with that statement. One, just because DSU is so anxious to play UD is not a reason to play the game. From what I hear, GSU would love to play Georgia Tech, but that doesn't mean GT should agree to playing them. Two, UD is not above 'even the best MEAC team' every year, but DSU isn't even close to being a good MEAC team. Let me give you some scenarios of outcomes from the game....

Delaware 40 - Delaware State 0.... winner?... nobody
Delaware 24 - Delaware State 21... winner?.... Del State for keeping it close
Delaware State 24 - Delaware 21... winner?.... Del State obviously

Give me a scenario where UD is the winner. It's not that I'm greedy, but I just don't see any way UD comes out as the winner except to shut up the people in Dover (and the person in Glasgow;) ) and to give in to this loud, small group of people.

henfan
April 26th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Mr Chick, in what universe is PV A&M anything like DSU? Of course, PV A&M's I-AA counterparts in Texas (SHSU and Texas St.) have played them.

Grad rates?! Now you're reaching. First off, not an accurate number for the general student population and definitely not accurate for DSU's student-athletes. Secondly, what team in the country not in the Ivy League consults grad rates before scheduling football games? Obviously, not Hofstra, Northeastern, JMU, UMass, URI, Towson, Akron, Boise St., Boston U., Bucknell, Buffalo, UConn, EIU, EKU, SIU, UNI, Northwestern St., Elon, Youngstown, etc., all of whom have scheduled the DSU Hornets. If UD was so offended by DSU grad rates, they'd never have played them in hardball, hoops or track.

HensRock
April 26th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Delaware 40 - Delaware State 0.... winner?... nobody
Delaware 24 - Delaware State 21... winner?.... Del State for keeping it close
Delaware State 24 - Delaware 21... winner?.... Del State obviously

Why does it have to be about the score? Play the game and everyone wins, especially the State of Delaware which gets to keep all the $$$ in state. It's inexplicable why we can schedule West Chester, Albany, Stony Brook, and Holy Cross, but not a fellow I-AA school only 40 miles down the road.

henfan
April 26th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Weren't there quotes from DSU officials that basically said we'll play them any where any time... they won't play us... the ball's in their court.

Yup. DSU has always maintained that position and continue to respond in kind when prompted by the media. Those statements are entirely, 100% true. If telling responding honestly to media questions is considered adament, I guess they are guilty.

DSU is not out there publicly lobbying for a game with UD. Far from it. I get the sense it's not an important item on their agenda, either athletically or otherwise.

they are racists...

Would you please provide a quote from a DSU official (i.e.- someone employed by DSU) even vaguely implying that? I've got 12 years worth of quotes and I've never seen anything close to that.

they display this sentiment every chance they get.

Absolutely incorrect, unless, of course, you mean every time they are prompted by the media.

Proud Griz Man
April 26th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Why not play them. Are you chicken? :D

:deadhorse

UD and DSU will play when:

1) Hell freezes over.
2) ChickenMan & U.S. Senator Hillary fornicate.
3) Cap'n Cat quits chewing.
4) PolsonGriz quits drinking.
5) Mr. Chicken learns how to turn off the Caps Lock.
6) post your impossibility here ________________.

89Hen
April 26th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Why does it have to be about the score? Play the game and everyone wins, especially the State of Delaware which gets to keep all the $$$ in state.

The only reason I can see to play this game is if it helps UD with the state when they ask for money to renovate Delaware Stadium. If this game helps with that, then I'll have to rethink my position.

HensRock
April 26th, 2005, 09:12 AM
The only reason I can see to play this game is if it helps UD with the state when they ask for money to renovate Delaware Stadium. If this game helps with that, then I'll have to rethink my position.

I'm sure it will come up. That's how we got the BOB you know.

89Hen
April 26th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Would you please provide a quote from a DSU official (i.e.- someone employed by DSU) even vaguely implying that? I've got 12 years worth of quotes and I've never seen anything close to that.

"Because Delaware State is a [historically black college], I always had this subtle feeling that, no matter how good we were, we were always second-rate to Delaware," Horace said. "I think I'll always have that sense, that [DSU] is always going to be the 'other' school in the state."

MR. CHICKEN
April 26th, 2005, 09:16 AM
WE ALL READ DUH CRAP REPLY....DAT EDGAR DISHED OUT IN DUH SUNDAY NEWS JOURNAL........EXPLAINING DAT........"IT'S INEVITIBLE WE'LL MEET"......OR...... "NO TWELTH GAME....TO HARD ON DUH ATHLETES"!........IFIN' YA'LL READ BETWEEN DUH LINES........."WE'LL ONLY MEET IN DUH TOURNEY"......OR......."WE'LL NEVER PLAY DEM IN DUH REGULAR SEASON"!...........LET'S KEEP IT UH MYSTERY AN' NOT PLAY!......LET'S GET DUH 12th GAME AN' GO GET DUH GRIZZWALDS O' DUH WORLD FO' HOME AN' HOMES!.....DELAWARE AN' MONTANA AN' OTHER TOP TIER TEAMS PAY WELL...SO DUH TRAVEL WOULD BE UH WASH.....OR MAKE UH FEW DUCATS!.....LIKE TA SEE FRESH NEW HELMETS AT DUH TUB!... :hyped: [email protected]/buzz-off.dsu!

p.s. ah have lived in dis state uh long time.......an' never have seen del. st. tee it up!........nor any desire too!

ChickenMan
April 26th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Why not play them.

Are you chicken? :D

http://www.me.udel.edu/alumni/BlueHEN78.gif

Apparently we are... :D

henfan
April 26th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Do you have any examples of DSU officials adamantly implying racism? Mr. Horace is as much as DSU official as I am a UD official. He's a DSU alum.

BTW, I fully share Horace's opinion about DSU's position in the State, not that I think it does or should have anything to do with two football teams from the same state in the same division playing one another.

ChickenMan
April 26th, 2005, 09:31 AM
UD and DSU will play when:

2) ChickenMan & U.S. Senator Hillary fornicate.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/220/1359/320/Vomiting.jpg

:eek:

89Hen
April 26th, 2005, 09:50 AM
I fully share Horace's opinion about DSU's position in the State, not that I think it does or should have anything to do with two football teams from the same state in the same division playing one another.

I also agree with Mr. Horace if I can edit his post down to....

"Delaware State is second-rate to Delaware" and "is always going to be the 'other' school in the state."

and it has nothing to do with PWC vs. HBCU. I'm not saying DSU is a bad school, but it IS second to UD in every single catagory in which you can measure a university.

As for finding a quote from an admin... I'll have to get back to you.

MR. CHICKEN
April 26th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Mr Chick, in what universe is PV A&M anything like DSU? Of course, PV A&M's I-AA counterparts in Texas (SHSU and Texas St.) have played them.

Grad rates?! Now you're reaching. First off, not an accurate number for the general student population and definitely not accurate for DSU's student-athletes. Secondly, what team in the country not in the Ivy League consults grad rates before scheduling football games? Obviously, not Hofstra, Northeastern, JMU, UMass, URI, Towson, Akron, Boise St., Boston U., Bucknell, Buffalo, UConn, EIU, EKU, SIU, UNI, Northwestern St., Elon, Youngstown, etc., all of whom have scheduled the DSU Hornets. If UD was so offended by DSU grad rates, they'd never have played them in hardball, hoops or track.

RELAX DUH EGG HOLE DERE HENFREAK!........DELAWARE STATE IS UH PERENNIAL LOSER.......AS DUH AFORE-MENTIONED PRAIRIE VIEW TURKEYS!...CONSULT DUH NEWS JOURNAL ON DUH GRAD RATE MAH FEATHERED FRIEND! (PROVE ME WRONG...BRING IT IFIN' YA GOT IT)!...DUH GRAD RATE JES' SHOWS THE POOR STATUS O' DIS LAND GRANTER!...LIKE AH SAID PREVIOUS......DELAWARE FOOTBALL ENJOYS ELITE STATUS AN' WILL NOT LOWER DERE FOOTBALL PROGRAM TA INCLUDE.......DUH "BUZZ"-ARDS!.......AH HAVE MENTIONED IN DUH PAST DA SINS O' DUH HORNETS...PLAYED UH RUNNIN' BACK..WHO HAD USED UP HIS ELIGIBILITY AN' WAS CAUGHT!....MAYBE YOU WERE STILL CHOWIN' ON DUH GERBERS STRAINED BEETS AN' CAN'T RECALL........THEY HAVE RUN UH SECOND RATE..CHEATIN' PROGRAM..NO FAULT O' DUH CURRENT ADMIN.....BUT DEY HAVE INCURRED DUH WRATH O' EDGAR & RULY FOR PAST DISGRESSIONS!............GOOD SPEAKIN' WHIFF YA HENFAN...YA'LL FROM [email protected]/notgonnahappenpeople! xazzx xazzx xazzx

Hansel
April 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Had a similar situation at NDSU a few years back- Moorhead State (about 5 minutes away from NDSU on the other side of the ND/MN border) moved up to DII and people wondered why we weren't playing. They signed a 3 year deal (all games in Fargo) and after 70-21 and 80-0 blowouts, both sides agreed to end the contract early. Simple solution for Delaware is to sign a one year deal in Newark, pound them big time, and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Catsfan
April 28th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I think UD should consider a home and home with Del State and use that as the perfect excuse to end the West Chester series.

89Hen
April 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I think UD should consider a home and home with Del State
The only thing with less of a chance than a UD-DSU game is a home and home. There is no way UD ever agrees to that.

GannonFan
April 28th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Yes, why would a home and home ever be agreed to? UD holds 22k, DSU holds something in the ballpark of 5k or under. Why have a home and home and stiff 17k fans?

colgate13
April 28th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Yes, why would a home and home ever be agreed to? UD holds 22k, DSU holds something in the ballpark of 5k or under. Why have a home and home and stiff 17k fans?
I see the problem there... perhaps something creative could be done and both games are at UD but DSU is the home team one year? That way 22K get to see the beating each year.

henfan
April 28th, 2005, 12:33 PM
The only thing with less of a chance than a UD-DSU game is a home and home.

Even less of a chance, two games at Alumni Stadium. Lesser still, a game played outside of Delaware, which would sort of be like like WCU playing Coastal Carolina in the Johnson City Minidump.

arkstfan
April 28th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Gawd, UD is the Arkansas Razorbacks of I-AA.

Everything to lose?

What all the Hen fans are such terrible fans that they will abandon the team and follow DSU after a defeat?

The coaches won't be able to utilize a better conference and larger fan base to out-recruit DSU even after a defeat?

DSU will suddenly gain great fan support and be a national I-AA recruiting force?
:p

Man in Arkansas we can't get the Razorbacks to play us. Heck we can't even get Arkansas-Pine Bluff to play us. Last time we tried they demanded a game guarantee in excess of our average gate receipts per game and their annual home gate receipts combined.

89Hen
April 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Gawd, UD is the Arkansas Razorbacks of I-AA.

I guess that makes you the Delaware State of I-A. :p

henfan
April 28th, 2005, 02:53 PM
And we all know what happened the time "the Del State of I-A" came into Delaware Stadium. :asswhip:

Ugh!

Hansel
April 28th, 2005, 03:11 PM
...and stiff 17k fans?

Why not, Wilt Chamberlain did and didn't seem to have a problem with it :D

89Hen
April 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM
And we all know what happened the time "the Del State of I-A" came into Delaware Stadium. :asswhip:

Ugh!

On my all time worst games list. :(