PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis at SDSU

smarterray
October 8th, 2005, 01:08 PM
SDSU gets the ball to start the game.

INT after two first downs and an Aggie injury.

Aggie ball.

Listen to the game here:

http://ucdavisaggies.collegesports.com/genrel/ucda-liveaudio.html (KTHK 1140 Sacramento)

http://www.kdvs.org (UC Davis Campus Radio)

smarterray
October 8th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Jon Grant throws an INT.

SDSU ball.

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Grant seems very inconsistent, hopefully he is off in two weeks as well ;)

smarterray
October 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Big 50 yard run by SDSU. TD run from the 3-yd line.

SDSU 6
UCD 0

Awaiting PAT.

PAT good.

SDSU 7
UCD 0

smarterray
October 8th, 2005, 01:27 PM
UCD manages to stop SDSU's drive at the 45.

SDSU punts into the wind but the ball bounces to the 1 yd-line.

Aggie ball.

smarterray
October 8th, 2005, 01:29 PM
3-&-out by the SDSU defense.

Oh boy, this could be a long game.

Ah! SDSU muffed the punt reception but then quickly recovered.

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 01:30 PM
3-&-out by the SDSU defense.

Oh boy, this could be a long game.

Ah! SDSU muffed the punt reception but then quickly recovered.
Jack's are a different team at "home"

smarterray
October 8th, 2005, 01:37 PM
SDSU field goal.

10 - 0 SDSU.

slostang
October 8th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I know that UCD has a great run defense, look what they did to Stanfurd. SDSU ran well against Poly and now seems to be doing the same against the Aggie. Especially Konig (sp). Makes me feel a little better about Poly. I have said it many times, SDSU is a very tough team.

Bisonforlife
October 8th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Looks like SDSU is trying to atone for last years loss ;)

smarterray
October 8th, 2005, 01:49 PM
SDSU makes me a sad panda.

I hope Demario Warren (RB) can get us some big plays. Kays hasn't done anything yet.

smarterray
October 8th, 2005, 02:09 PM
10 - 0 SDSU lead at the end of the first half.

Our defense is keeping us in it. I don't know what's up with our offense. SDSU's running game is really good. I guess their defense is pretty good too :P.

Bisonforlife
October 8th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Boy that Parker Douglas sounds like he has some leg :)

slostang
October 8th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Their kicker, Parker Douglas, is not bad either. 55 yarder wipe out by penalty. Just missed a 65 yarder. We do not have a kicker on our team that our coach would have enough confidence to try either of those kicks. If memory serves, I think he made a 53 yarder against Poly just before the half.

Aggie71
October 8th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Man,

I'm impressed with SDSU O-line. Ags have a lot of half - time adjustments to bring, I guess.

Wabbits, congrats on a great first half effort.

We are now the underdogs again.

slostang
October 8th, 2005, 02:18 PM
My bad, it was only a 52 yarder as time expired in the first half.

slostang
October 8th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Great first half by SDSU, but this game is far from over. I am looking forward to the second half.

Aggie71
October 8th, 2005, 02:43 PM
4th and inches

1st down

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 03:05 PM
2 more FGs for SDSU

SDSU 16
UC-Davis 0

near end of third

Mustang Man
October 8th, 2005, 03:05 PM
16 SDSU 0 UCD - 0:06 3rd

FG Jacks!

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM
TD Davis... waiting for the 2p conversion, good

UCD 8
SDSU 16

9:35 to go

AggiePride
October 8th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Big sack for Davis on 3rd down.

AggiePride
October 8th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Huge 4th down conversion for Davis, at SDSU's 25 yard line.

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 03:33 PM
UCD converts a 4 and 8, first down SDSU 25 with just over 4 to go

AggiePride
October 8th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Another huge 4th down conversion to SDSU's 3.

AggiePride
October 8th, 2005, 03:38 PM
TD Davis, 16-14 SDSU...

Now for the 2 pt. conversion....

AggiePride
October 8th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Smith drops it, loses it as he hits the ground, just over 2:00 to go.

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 03:40 PM
2 pt conv no good

SDSU up 16-14 with two to go, onside kick forthcoming

AggiePride
October 8th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Davis holds, will get the ball with 1:06 left....

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Aggies rough the punter, SDSU ball

game ovah'

AggiePride
October 8th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Roughing the kicker on Davis, SDSU's game...

Davis O seemed pretty bad this game....

Aggie71
October 8th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Oooops,

Good Game Jackrabbits. You deserved it.

Ouch

MNBISON
October 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Congrats to SDSU! The GWFC is damn tough.

Aggie71
October 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM
`Any audio available for Poly - NDSU?

I can start to BBQ now. I will be the guy in the Sunday paper at the burn ward with the baseball cap that says," ...C....AV...S"

mainejeff
October 8th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Stanford is nothing but a distant memory......

Aggie71
October 8th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I know the Ags have kicking troubles, and I also know the Jacks have a super kicker, but, I didn't think this would enter into the mix...

MNBISON
October 8th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Aggie71, this should do it www.gopoly.com. You have to pay for NDSU's web cast or I'd post that too.

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 03:56 PM
`Any audio available for Poly - NDSU?

I can start to BBQ now. I will be the guy in the Sunday paper at the burn ward with the baseball cap that says," ...C....AV...S"
http://www.gopoly.com/general/listen_game.html

Rabbit3467
October 8th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Davis O seemed pretty bad this game....[/QUOTE]

I thought the jacks D seemed pretty good. :D :D :D

slostang
October 8th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Congrats Jacks. The GWFC is going to be interesting this year.

Aggie71
October 8th, 2005, 04:05 PM
You're correct...

SDSU kicked butt on both sides the whole game. We had to ask the Gubernator for secret plays to even get close. Our linebacker forgot to cover himself in cold mud.

Feel better? You should. Good Job, Jacks

Rabbit3467
October 8th, 2005, 04:27 PM
that was a great game, I was a very worried, good game Davis.

Bisonforlife
October 8th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Congrats to a well deserved win Jacks :)

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Still no word from ralph or capn' cat...

rumor was that alcohol was illegal in the tailgating lot... they are probably in jail :p

Aggie71
October 9th, 2005, 12:06 AM
I think South Dakota civil code specifies that both Ralph and Cap't Cat are illeagle. Something to do with an old treaty.

I would hate to see the Capt'n's visiage carved into a mountain.

On the other hand, there would probably be a lot of babes studying it through the quarter a minute telescopes.

Sorry for the bad humor. This one hurt.

Jacks02
October 9th, 2005, 01:44 AM
I was at the game, and it was a fun one to watch. We pretty much dominated both sides for most of the first 3 quarters, but you guys made a heck of a run. I was dreading another "moral" victory.

Parker Douglas set the new school record with a 54 yard field goal. He also made a 55 yard field goal that was negated with a holding penalty, then missed the ensuing 65 yard attempt when he was short by about a yard. He tied the school record of 52 yards two weeks ago against Cal Poly, and he's only a sophomore! Adam Viniateri may not have many school records by the time he is done.

Cory Koenig had another great game, and had over 100 yards at half against a tough Cal Davis defense. Thats three straight 100 yard games against the likes of Cal Poly, Texas St. and Cal Davis.

We have a bye next week and an easy game for Hobo Days before another tough game with Georgia Southern coming to town in 3 weeks. Still have an outside chance at a share of the conference title if you Aggies can knock off Cal Poly in a few weeks and we can keep the Dakota Marker for another year with a win at NDSU.

Go Jacks!

Kid Dakota
October 9th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Published: Oct 9, 2005

Saturday stunner

SDSU topples Cal Davis
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS

http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=DF&Dato=20051009&Kategori=SPORTS0202&Lopenr=510090339&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&MaxH=300

Chris Solari
[email protected]
Article Published: 10/9/05

Frustrated after allowing a two-point conversion pass completion right in front of him minutes earlier, Hank McCall delivered the biggest play of South Dakota State's season.

McCall stripped the ball from Cal Davis receiver Blaise Smith on a near two-point conversion completion that would have tied the game late in the fourth quarter, and the Jackrabbits held on to defeat the Aggies 16-14 in Great West Conference action Saturday.

"I think (Smith) was calling for pass interference, but I didn't think I interfered with him at all," said McCall, who led the Jacks with 11 tackles, an interception and two pass deflections. "The rest is history - Jacks win."

The victory featured a little bit of revenge. A year ago, Davis battered SDSU 52-0 in California in what was the Jacks first-ever Division I-AA contest.

There was almost nothing to cheer about in that game. But, in SDSU's first home football game ever held in Sioux Falls, the 7,239 SDSU fans at Howard Wood Field had plenty to cheer about - especially with a few critical plays on special teams.

Sophomore kicker Parker Douglass broke the Jackrabbit school record with a 54-yard field goal with the strong wind in the third quarter. He also connected from 38 and 32 yards and came up short on a 65-yard try at the end of the first half by about a foot.

McCall's key defense of the two-point conversion pass from Aggies quarterback Jon Grant was followed by SDSU's Chris Doblar fielding the ensuing onside kick like a shortstop.

Punter Neal Bainbridge saved the victory, corralling a slightly high snap and getting off his punt under intense pressure with less than a minute to play. Bainbridge's quick boot forced Cal Davis redshirt freshman Nero Evero into a roughing the punter penalty, which gave SDSU an automatic first down that sealed the win.

"It's just a huge win for our players, and I think we deserved it," Jackrabbit coach John Stiegelmeier said. "Not that (the Aggies) didn't, but our guys have battled, and we've lost some close ones. Now, we've won a close one, and you forget all that other stuff from the weeks before."

The Jackrabbits (3-3, 1-1 Great West) sliced apart the Aggies defense on the ground, with sophomore Cory Koenig powering his way to 141 of their 185 rushing yards. It was Koenig's third straight game with more than 100 yards after becoming the starter.

Jackrabbit junior quarterback Andy Kardoes, still battling a high ankle sprain, was 10-of-22 for 85 yards, but showed some mobility by rushing for 20 yards. His offensive line, also ravaged by injuries, allowed just one sack and two quarterback hurries.

"It's all about the line," Koenig said.

Koenig's 52-yard run early in the first quarter, on the first play after McCall's interception, set up Kardoes' 2-yard sneak for a touchdown that was SDSU's only TD of the game. The 7-0 score marked the first time the Jacks held a lead since Sept. 10 against Valparaiso.

Meantime, Cal Davis (2-3, 0-1) struggled offensively throughout the first half and into the third quarter. A pass-heavy squad, led by 2004 first-team all-Great West quarterback Jon Grant, the Aggies had just 94 yards through the air after three periods against SDSU's soft zone.

Douglass, who missed the 65-yarder only after a 55-yard try was negated by an SDSU holding penalty, kicked two field goals in the third. His 54-yarder broke the 52-yard mark that Douglass tied against Cal Poly in Brookings two weeks earlier. His 32-yarder with six seconds to play in the quarter gave the Jacks a 14-0 edge.

That's when Grant's general-like leadership took over, marching the Aggies 80 yards to start the fourth and converting on third down three times. The last one was an 18-yard touchdown to redshirt freshman DeMario Warren, who squirted through the Jackrabbits on a screen pass with 9:35 to play.

Grant then found Smith on a quick slant for the two-point conversion, with McCall a half-beat too late, to make it 16-8.

SDSU was forced to punt on its next drive. The Aggies benefitted from a 15-yard penalty on the Jacks' Brock Gentile for interfering with the catch, setting up Cal Davis at its own 45.

On fourth-and-8 from the SDSU 42, Grant connected with receiver Kale Turner in the heart of the Jacks' defense for 17 yards to keep the drive alive. Needing 6 yards on another fourth-down try, the pair hooked up again on the exact same slant route to put the Aggies at the SDSU 3.

Two plays later, Grant hit tight end Matt Gravette on a quick flare to put Cal Davis within two.

"It was just good play-calling," said Grant, who finished 26-of-41 for 218 yards, 124 of them coming in the final quarter.

With 2:05 left, Davis needed the conversion to tie. The Aggies called a pass play to Smith, which was added to the playbook just this week, and Grant lobbed a perfect pass high into the back right corner of the end zone. The 6-foot-2 receiver jumped and had the ball in his hands on his way down when 5-11 McCall stuck his hand in and batted the ball to the ground.

"Hank was mad the first time they got the two-point conversion on him the first time," Stiegelmeier said. "He would have been the guy that was saying in our huddle, more than anybody else, 'Try to go at me.'

"That's the kind of guy he is. He's a competitor. He wants to be the guy who wins the game."

Cal Davis players argued that Smith had landed before the ball was stripped, but the conversion attempt was ruled incomplete.

"I thought the call could have gone either way. It's a judgement call on the official - did he have possession or not?" Aggies coach Bob Biggs said. "In his judgement, he didn't have possession. It was a nice play by the DB."

Warren finished with 180 all-purpose yards for the Aggies, 114 of them rushing. Two weeks ago, Cal Davis shocked Division I-A Stanford 20-17 on a last-second Grant TD pass to Smith. In SDSU's I-AA debut last year, the Aggies won 52-0.

The battered Jackrabbits get a week off to heal and rest before hosting D-II Missouri-Rolla for Hobo Day on Oct. 22 in Brookings.

"I think it's pretty critical right now," Kardoes said. "We're all banged up all around. Nothing serious, but something that a week's rest is going to help."

Cat79
October 9th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Rabbit Fans,

Congrats on the game! Cory Koenig is a great RB.

Texas State won 30-15! :)

Kid Dakota
October 9th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Also keep in mind the game was played at a neutral site (well kind of). Was played at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls, South Dakota about 45 miles south of Brookings where South Dakota State is located.

The next BIG game is in three weeks as Georgia Southern travels to Brookings, South Dakota to face the Jackrabbits. Bring you coats cause winter has arrived in the Northern Plains.

ucdtim17
October 9th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Why the hell do so many people insist on calling us CAL DAVIS?!?! It's not that hard. I don't know who started this whole Cal Davis thing, and how it got so much momentum, but we are, and always have been UC Davis. It's not Cal-LA is it? What makes people think UCD is different?

SochorField
October 9th, 2005, 03:54 PM
For the last time.....there is no such thing as Cal Davis.

Its a shame the Aggies decided to roll out of bed with 8 mins left in the 4th quarter.
Bitter? yes. I can take losing, but not like this...the Aggies didnt even show up.

OrneryAggie
October 9th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Why the hell do so many people insist on calling us CAL DAVIS?!?! It's not that hard. I don't know who started this whole Cal Davis thing, and how it got so much momentum, but we are, and always have been UC Davis . It's not Cal-LA is it? What makes people think UCD is different?

It actually was Cal-Davis. (it was also Cal Irvine, Cal Santa Barbara; etc.) I don't remember when UC Davis became the official name, sometime in the '80's I think. I'm sure if you asked someone on the Cal (Berkeley) board they can give you the whole history of why UCD is UCD and Cal is not UCB. I don't mind Cal Davis, but I hate it when people think Cal Davis is the same as Cal Poly or Cal St Stanislaus; etc. I'd be happy if we were just called 'DAVIS.' Hopefully when the ags are playoff eligible people will know that football is played in Davis, California and the 'Cal' in 'Cal Davis' won't be necessary.

ucdtim17
October 9th, 2005, 07:30 PM
It actually was Cal-Davis. (it was also Cal Irvine, Cal Santa Barbara; etc.) I don't remember when UC Davis became the official name, sometime in the '80's I think. I'm sure if you asked someone on the Cal (Berkeley) board they can give you the whole history of why UCD is UCD and Cal is not UCB. I don't mind Cal Davis, but I hate it when people think Cal Davis is the same as Cal Poly or Cal St Stanislaus; etc. I'd be happy if we were just called 'DAVIS.' Hopefully when the ags are playoff eligible people will know that football is played in Davis, California and the 'Cal' in 'Cal Davis' won't be necessary.

I'm gonna get to the bottom of this later tonight with my free history of UCD book

ucdtim17
October 9th, 2005, 11:01 PM
All right, going through my book, as far as I can tell, the University has been UC Davis since at least it became a general UC campus in 1959. Athletics, though, may have been different at times. The 1998 basketball national championship banner says CAL DAVIS, but the uniforms obviously say UC Davis. Either way, even if back in the day, the sports teams were referred to as Cal Davis, why do national publications and people refer to us as Cal Davis now?? Where did they get that idea?? In academic circles and publications, it's always UC Davis. Go to any website, UCD, GWFC, BW, it's obviously UCD. Are writers just lazy and dumb?

I think I'm spending too much time on this

Jacks99
October 10th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Why the hell do so many people insist on calling us CAL DAVIS?!?! It's not that hard. I don't know who started this whole Cal Davis thing, and how it got so much momentum, but we are, and always have been UC Davis. It's not Cal-LA is it? What makes people think UCD is different?

No one in SD would understand who UC or UCD is. Cal is a no-brainer for us.

OrneryAggie
October 10th, 2005, 08:41 AM
No one in SD would understand who UC or UCD is. Cal is a no-brainer for us.

And in Cal SDSU is in San Diego.