PDA

View Full Version : APR losses and POSTSEASON BANS?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 6th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I plucked the following from a message board (edited for FCS schools only in football). Is the following statement true?

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=47773.msg548167#msg548167

The list of schools and teams that have posted two consecutive scores of less than 900 on the NCAA's academic progress report. A third consecutive score under 900 next year would ban the teams from postseason competition.
(Listed in alphabetical order)

• California State-Sacramento -- football
• Jacksonville State -- football
• Montana State-Bozeman -- football
• Murray State -- football
• Southern -- football
• Tennessee-Chattanooga -- football, wrestling
• Weber State -- football

Random thoughts on this:

* Does this Jax State/APR thing possibly prevent a Perriloux signing by the Gamecocks? Can Jax State really stink on the APR and then turn around and take a chance on Perriloux?

* If Southern wins the SWAC east, they will be ineligible for the SWAC championship game, right?

* Let's say that Montana State, Sac State, and Weber State all were ineligible for the postseason in 2009. Do you still give the Big Sky an autobid, or do you give it to an eligible conference... like the NEC? The reason I bring this up is that you could have a theoretical situation where three teams lead the league and a sub-.500 team gets the autobid.

* What about the OVC, with two potential teams gone? Is it less likely the autobid is stripped since it's likely at worst a 7-4 team would win the autobid?

FargoBison
May 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I plucked the following from a message board (edited for FCS schools only in football). Is the following statement true?

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=47773.msg548167#msg548167

Random thoughts on this:

* Does this Jax State/APR thing possibly prevent a Perriloux signing by the Gamecocks? Can Jax State really stink on the APR and then turn around and take a chance on Perriloux?

* If Southern wins the SWAC east, they will be ineligible for the SWAC championship game, right?

* Let's say that Montana State, Sac State, and Weber State all were ineligible for the postseason in 2009. Do you still give the Big Sky an autobid, or do you give it to an eligible conference... like the NEC? The reason I bring this up is that you could have a theoretical situation where three teams lead the league and a sub-.500 team gets the autobid.

* What about the OVC, with two potential teams gone? Is it less likely the autobid is stripped since it's likely at worst a 7-4 team would win the autobid?

Jax State would be taking a huge risk....

Southern might be eligible because the SWAC championship is not NCAA sponsored postseason play. Isn't it kind of like a bowl game?

The Big Sky would retain their bid, even if they don't have enough qualifying members, the conference might be put on some kind of probation though(that could lead to the conference losing their auto-bid). Same with the OVC.

MACHIAVELLI
May 6th, 2008, 10:39 PM

Southern is the the SWAC west, but I see where you are headed.

Southern might be eligible because the SWAC championship is not NCAA sponsored postseason play. Isn't it kind of like a bowl game?

I believe the SWAC Championship Game is considered a post-season event based on the NCAA bylaws.

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I believe the SWAC Championship Game is considered a post-season event based on the NCAA bylaws.

It is a post-season event which is why one could not participate in both the SCG and the playoffs as institutions are limited to one postseason appearance per year.