PDA

View Full Version : BCF.com Recruits Shine High

TXST_CAT
May 4th, 2008, 11:33 PM
http://www.bobcatfans.com/news.php?article=288

by Richard Lopez - BobcatFans Magazine (March) :: April 2, 2008

In his first full recruiting season, Brad Wright and his staff did not disappoint, landing many players from across the nation. Among those many players are names that we will soon not forget such as Jeff McVaney, Ralston Dews and Darryl Morris.

McVaney, considered to be one of the top recruits of the class, is one of Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Texas Top 300 recruit. McVaney is a three-time All-District 17-5A star at Strake Jesuit in Houston. McVaney, you might think, is excellent at one position. Quite the contrary, as he earned All-District honors at three different positions- fullback, linebacker and quarterback. McVaney will be a two sport athlete at Texas State, also playing baseball.

Strake Jesuit head coach Ronald Counter sees Texas State as a great opportunity for McVaney, on both sides of the ball, and in both sports.

“I think Texas State got a steal in Jeff. I believe he could play anywhere for anybody. Jeff played fullback as a sophomore on the varsity. As a junior he was first team All-District linebacker. As a senior he returned to quarterback, where he played as a freshman. Jeff had 1,000 yards rushing and almost 1,500 throwing. He had a great touchdown to interception ratio,” according to Counter. “He could play Quarterback, Fullback or Linebacker for the Bobcats. He also was our deep snapper for 3 years. Jeff is also a good baseball player. In over 20 years of coaching, he may be the toughest player I've ever coached.”

Michael Block, one of McVaney’s coaches at Strake Jesuit, can also attest to the kind of athlete Texas State has signed, and the type of player they will be getting both on and off the field.

“Jeff is one the most versatile football players in Texas high school football. His understanding of the game of football is unrivaled among high school athletes. A proven player on both sides of the ball, as an imposing and physical linebacker who makes plays from sideline to sideline, a bruising fullback capable of twenty plus carries and finally, a quarterback that protects the ball with smart decisions and accurate passes,” said Block. “Jeff's leadership is displayed on the field and off with his willingness to prepare for every situation, as well as pushing his fellow teammates to make themselves better. Jeff will succeed wherever he goes at whatever he does, the whole while enhancing the lives of everyone around him.”

Ralston Dews comes to Texas State at a towering 6’1, 340 pounds, being named All-District at two different high schools. Dews also lettered in track while in high school.

Offensive line coach Gary Fleet can attest to signee Dews’ dedication to the sport, having coached him for two seasons at Robert E. Lee High school in Tyler. Texas.

“He has a great attitude and work ethic. We worked Ralston at defensive tackle all spring and he started there the first three games of the season, but due to injuries we moved him to right guard after the 3rd game,” said Fleet. “This is what impressed me the most about Ralston, his willingness to make this move in the middle of his senior year and how quickly he picked our offense up. He immediately helped our offense and made 2nd team All-District and honorable mention All-East Texas. He never complained, but did whatever we asked of him with a wonderful team attitude. Ralston is a wonderful, hard working young man. I think Ralston can contribute early because he knows the game so well, both sides of the game and he understands angles etc. that it takes to play the game of football.”

Darryl Morris comes to San Marcos, from San Antonio at Warren High School, where he also lettered three years in track and holds an AAU national record for the 4x200meters. James Dawson is Morris’s defensive coordinator and secondary coach and believes Morris has the ability to contribute right away.

“Daryl has all the tools to be a great DB. He is smart, fast, has tremendously quick feet and reactions,” said Dawson. “Darryl is a hard working kid and a good student. I guess I knew he would be a good player because of his work ethic. I think of him as a hard working, dedicated athlete with tremendous speed and burst.”