PDA

View Full Version : UNH names starting QB

Dodgerdog
May 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Apparently, sophomore R.J. Toman will replace Ricky Santos as UNH's starting quarterback. No surprise.

http://www.nhfootballreport.com/

401ks
May 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Apparently, sophomore R.J. Toman will replace Ricky Santos as UNH's starting quarterback. No surprise.

http://www.nhfootballreport.com/

xthumbsupx

Go R.J.!

Do Orange County proud.

WrenFGun
May 3rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
While I think Decker outplayed Toman in the spring game, this was the unsurprising move.

crusader11
May 3rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
I really don't understand why Toman would be named the starting guy now. Why not wait a week or two into preseason practice to name the starting QB for the Army game. One could make the case that Decker outplayed Toman all of spring, and it showed in the spring game.

Is Toman being named the starter just because he has a year on Decker and filled in for Santos in last year's game against Delaware? Or does he just have more talent than Decker? After seeing both of them play, it is fairly obvious that Decker throws a much better ball and seems to see the field better.

Uncle Buck
May 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Either way having two capable qb's is never a bad thing. Toman proved last year that he can win, it's not a bad thing to have that on your resume.

Ud1Hens
May 4th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Toman is really good...just ask Delaware.

BTW: UD is really good at getting the most out of your backups. Here's your new Santos Jr.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I really don't understand why Toman would be named the starting guy now. Why not wait a week or two into preseason practice to name the starting QB for the Army game. One could make the case that Decker outplayed Toman all of spring, and it showed in the spring game.

Is Toman being named the starter just because he has a year on Decker and filled in for Santos in last year's game against Delaware? Or does he just have more talent than Decker? After seeing both of them play, it is fairly obvious that Decker throws a much better ball and seems to see the field better.

From what I've read, I didn't get the impression that Decker outplayed Toman all of the spring. Also, from what I've read Toman has a better mastery of the offense. Toman has two years in the program to just one for Decker. From my understanding, Decker is also more of a traditional drop back passer while Toman seems to be more in the Santos/Granieri mold for the spread offense.

If I hadn't seen Toman play against Delaware and Iona last year, then yesterday would have me more concerned. Yeah, on a raw, wet day he underthrew a wide open WR and the ball was picked. But I immediately recalled the two bombs he threw against Delaware.