PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Calls Northern Iowa "Subpar"

Rob Iola
May 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Hey, I don't make this stuff up! To me, UNI is one of the top teams in the FCS, and rightly deserves its #1, er, #5 ranking. But apparently The Worldwide Leader thinks differently - in this article on the Ravens and Flacco, ESPN dot com says:

Flacco, who is 6-foot-6 and 235 pounds with nimble feet and a slingshot for an arm, was a Division I-AA star against teams like West Chester, Monmouth and Northern Iowa. Nobody has any idea how playing against subpar talent will translate to the NFL...

Read it here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=wickersham_seth&id=3378230&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

My apologies if this should be in smack, but it is a legit article from a legit sports site...

thmst30
May 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
They got 2 of the 3 right.

putter
May 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Can't really argue with Westchester and Monmouth but with him throwing UNI in the article just shows that he has very little knowledge, if any, about UNI and their year last year.

McNeese_beat
May 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
They got 2 of the 3 right.

You're right...what's Monmouth doing in there???xeyebrowx

Just kidding, UNI fansxnodx

Uncle Buck
May 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
Sometimes you can't fix stupid!

crunifan
May 2nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
UNI faces a lot of scrutiny as far as reputation is concerned solely because we are a "directional" school from a smaller Midwestern state.

I think that is partly why nearly all fans here in Iowa, and the Midwest, refer to us as UNI as opposed to Northern Iowa. In fact is is rare to hear us called Northern Iowa except on ESPN or other national programs. UNI seems to a shed a little of the directional school attitude.

Oh well, if we were subpar last year (or any year) then schools like Iowa State, Kansas State, Ball State, etc. have all been subpar

appstate38
May 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Don't worry UNI fans, Stupid is as stupid does..... You guys know the real deal...

Ronbo
May 2nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
In relation to BCS competition. Yep, right on target.

Bison101
May 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
xnonono2x Boo ESPN. That is all.

douglasdmb
May 3rd, 2008, 02:51 AM
If only they knew that UNI has more alums in the NFL than some BCS schools...

SoCon48
May 3rd, 2008, 03:46 AM
Hey, I don't make this stuff up! To me, UNI is one of the top teams in the FCS, and rightly deserves its #1, er, #5 ranking. But apparently The Worldwide Leader thinks differently - in this article on the Ravens and Flacco, ESPN dot com says:
Read it here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=wickersham_seth&id=3378230&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1
My apologies if this should be in smack, but it is a legit article from a legit sports site...

ESPN is valuable to college football as exposure for college footbut, however:

1. I doubt NFL scouts rely on ESPN writers to evaluate prospects for them and count on them to assess the level of competion faced by FCS players.

2. ESPN wouldn't want to read about the number of subpar announcers and hack uninformed writers they have covering college football, especially at the FCS level.

SeattleGriz
May 3rd, 2008, 05:12 AM
UNI faces a lot of scrutiny as far as reputation is concerned solely because we are a "directional" school from a smaller Midwestern state.

I think that is partly why nearly all fans here in Iowa, and the Midwest, refer to us as UNI as opposed to Northern Iowa. In fact is is rare to hear us called Northern Iowa except on ESPN or other national programs. UNI seems to a shed a little of the directional school attitude.

Oh well, if we were subpar last year (or any year) then schools like Iowa State, Kansas State, Ball State, etc. have all been subpar

Yeah, I love making Iowa heads burst by proclaiming UNI the best team in Iowa last year.

Fun stuff.

crunifan
May 3rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I love making Iowa heads burst by proclaiming UNI the best team in Iowa last year.

Fun stuff.

Yeah, Iowa fans didn't like the "Panther State" shirts being sold. At least Cyclone fans know their place. xlolx

SideLine Shooter
May 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
xlolx
Sometimes you can't fix stupid!

Mountain Panther
May 4th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Not surprised at all that this came from ESPN.

Mouse
May 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM
doesn't help when Joe Flacco calls FCS "the minor league of college football" either

Mountain Panther
May 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM
doesn't help when Joe Flacco calls FCS "the minor league of college football" either

Well then what does that say about him and his team if they couldn't even win the "minor league" college football championship in 2007?

wkuhillhound
May 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I will decide not to comment on the "minor league" statement. I might just lose control if I do. :p

SoCon48
May 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Let me get this straight. Flacco is working his tail off trying to make the cut in the NFL. Then he is saying all his credentials came from competing against minor league level competition for the past four years. I'm sure that really boosts his stock among the NFL coaches.xrolleyesx

I-AA Fan
May 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
...and a legit point. Stop crying for respect ...it is never going to come from people outside of I-AA.

AshevilleApp2
May 5th, 2008, 08:10 AM
From what I've seen ESPN knows very little about our division. I remember they were shocked last year when Wofford beat App.

SideLine Shooter
May 5th, 2008, 08:15 AM
From what I've seen ESPN knows very little about our division. I remember they were shocked last year when Wofford beat App.

I talked to some of the espn folks working the semi-final game with Richmond on that Friday night and they could not believe the great atmosphere at "THE ROCK" that night. They said it was wild and as good as anywhere in the country.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I know I was impressed that night..xnodx xnodx xnodx

Cap'n Cat
May 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Turn the other cheek.

Focus on the prize.

SeattleGriz
May 5th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Turn the other cheek.

Focus on the prize.

WWCD

xsmiley_wix

Mouse
May 5th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Let me get this straight. Flacco is working his tail off trying to make the cut in the NFL. Then he is saying all his credentials came from competing against minor league level competition for the past four years. I'm sure that really boosts his stock among the NFL coaches.xrolleyesx

yeah I was surprised too he called it that too

On if his experience at Pitt helped motivate him at Delaware? (FLACCO) “I just never felt like I actually did compete with Tyler [Palko]. He was the starter, but the only reason I was the backup was because another kid had transferred. He started for a year, and then spring ball came and new coaches came, and I still didn’t compete with him. He was just the starter. I never really got a shot there. I wanted to go prove, when I was at Delaware, I wanted to prove that I was capable of playing [at Pitt], and I just didn’t [get a chance]. I still carry that with me. I still carry it with me that I’m a I-AA guy and I had to go down to the minor leagues in college football and prove who I was. I’m going to carry that with me for the rest of my life, and hopefully, use it for the best.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2008/04/QB_Joe_Flacco_Press_Conference_Transcript.aspx