PDA

View Full Version : newspaper trashes App for friday night game

Appguy
May 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM
http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=292840

can anyone tell me why this is such a big deal?
correct me if i am wrong but NCAA>High school Sports Associations.

Should App turn down a televised Friday game just So the local Highschool game actually has people show up? or am I missing an angle to this?
is it just that people wont go out to highschool games with the app game on TV?

813Jag
May 1st, 2008, 03:10 PM

Should App turn down a televised Friday game just So the local Highschool game actually has people show up? or am I missing an angle to this?
I don't think it's a big idea, but there was uproar by some high school coaches here because USF was playing UCF on a Friday night. I guess it depends on how attached to the high school the fans are. I figure if you travel to games you probably miss a few high school games.

EKU05
May 1st, 2008, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't say they should have turned it down, but the fewer Friday night games the better, IMO. Former Louisville basketball coach, and hall of famer, Denny Crum turned down many a Friday night television game always insisting that Friday belonged to high school sports and he didn't want to steal that away from them.

In this case, it's a special opporunity for the two schools involved. I say absolutely go for it (I would), but I can't say that I'm too fond of the NCCA > high school logic.

It's all in what you value. My high school averages about 5,000 people per home game and plays in an on campus stadium that would make 50% of FCS, and most of Division II look very bad. They also play in a neutral site rivalry game that annually draws close to 40,000. Besides...would you use a similar FBS>FCS logic to justify why there aren't more FCS games on TV? I wouldn't because I love FCS football regardless of what the literal "highest" division might be.

What defines the greatness of a sporting event (for me) is the passion, not the publicity or the money. People need to lay off App on this one, but it's not hard to see why people aren't happy about the situation.

brownbear
May 1st, 2008, 03:31 PM
How about playing the local high school game on Saturday?

minuteman65
May 1st, 2008, 03:54 PM
Give me a break. How can you blame a FCS school for taking an opportunity to play on national TV?

Appinator
May 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
I know this is going to sound homer-ish, but give me a break. Some guy from Fayett-nam should have a million other things to worry about than giving App a hard time for this game. He tries to spin the context of quotes to make Cobb out to be a bad guy for this, when he clearly notified and involved all of the proper people.

Watauga and ASU have strong bonds, and I'm sure there was more to the story than Cobb "bulling" WHS out of their Friday night game like the author makes this out to be. The entire county's economy rests heavily on the money that Appalachian is able to bring in the area, whether it is through its everyday encounters with the ASU students, or through special events. The spotlight that a national TV audience is able to provide for the town of Boone is worth millions of dollars to the local tourism board, which is where most of the money in Watauga County is made.

A game might moved for the Pioneers, but events like these put food on the table and cash in the pockets of the majority of county's residents. If anything, everyone is excited about the game, but we appreciate some hack hundreds of miles away telling us it's a bad thing.

neersnbeers
May 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
I'm replying to that inbreed Lumbi-Fu** right now. I beleive there are plenty of other topics on that crap end of the state to whine about. I'm all about tradition but my aching a$$! Shut Up!! Thats the worst crap I've ever read.

Jerbearasu
May 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM
High school athletics, just like college, is financed primarily by the ticket sales of their games. By App playing this game it hurts the revenue to the high school level. I don't think this one game is going to kill any high school but if high schools are hit hard enough too many times then the coaches of the high school teams will be less willing to push the good players to the universities that play Fri night games. Which means the colleges won't be getting the top players anymore. It is a cycle all the way around to where it does effect the universities...

Grizzaholic
May 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM
Give me a break. How can you blame a FCS school for taking an opportunity to play on national TV?

You can't.

Za-KEE-uS
May 1st, 2008, 04:43 PM

or Thursday, this who argument is silly.

SideLine Shooter
May 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM
Freedom of the press!!xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xeyebrowx

HiHiYikas
May 1st, 2008, 04:55 PM
Nobody can change anything - even when the change is for the better - without making some people angry.

I was surprised to see a link to an ASU-related story in the Fayetteville paper. I'd be interested to see how many articles Earl Vaughan has written about Appalachian in the past few years.

I'd hate to think the guy has so little credibility as to zero-in on a perceived negative while ignoring all the positives.

neersnbeers
May 1st, 2008, 05:12 PM
Let me share a story about the great North Carolina High School Athletic Assoc.

I grew up wrestling in a program that year in year out competes for a state title on the high school level. There are more fans at a home match than there are at a home football game(i know, sad). So you can imagine the atmosphere.

This past February, the western regional champion was to host the state championship match. After the Eastern champion was decided, that champ then wrote to the NCHSAA complaining that they would "absolutely" not compete on our home mat because of our hostile fans. The Association granted them their wish and made the teams travel to a neutral site costing our school and fans thousands of dollars.

Guess what I'm trying to say is. The NCHSAA can blow a big one!!xthumbsupx

DRocksDad
May 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM

that would make too much sense.

KiddBrewer
May 1st, 2008, 05:46 PM
this is stupid.

thmst30
May 1st, 2008, 05:56 PM
What a BS article, hell WHS has held football games before on days that school was out of session. They reschedule games often due to weather, so one Thursday night game isn't going to kill attendance and kill their revenue. Get a clue dude, how did he get a job writing? If anything he should be happy that App. St. did in fact let the NCHSAA know about the game so that they could reschedule the WHS game, otherwise there truly would have been no one at that game, now people can go to both games. Plus the WHS players can go to the App. St. game seeing as most of them are huge ASU fans. I agree it shouldn't become a regular thing, but we're talking about ONE game. This opportunity is so VERY VERY rare for FCS teams. Can you honestly imagine ANY FCS team getting a call from ESPN telling them they want to give them a national TV game on ESPN2 on a Friday night, and that FCS team saying, "sorry our local High School plays that Friday we will have to decline that added exposure for our school and players." I don't care what FCS school it is, none of them should be expected to turn this down in honor of high school football. Absolute trash of an article, I wish the Watauga Democrat would write a response and put this idiot in his place. Trust me I have many relatives and friends within WHS and their football program. They don't have a problem moving the game back one day so App can be on national TV. Especially since practically everyone there is an ASU fan. Again this gives us the best of both worlds, we don't have to decide which game to go too. IDIOT, he should team up with Coulson.

ASUTed
May 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM
Idiots like this have got to go, unfortunately there are a few of these idiots over on app's board, but they are app fans!

thmst30
May 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Scholastic sports editor Earl Vaughan Jr. can be reached at [email protected] or 486-3519

Give 'em HELL!!!!!!!!!

ericsaid
May 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Appalachian only plays a friday night game once in a blue moon, if that.

jstate83
May 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM

It's the Friday night light's tradition.
Friday's are for Highschool's and Saturday is for College.

It's hard enough for people here to get siked for a THURSDAY night game.
If they were to schedule a Friday Night game here, as big as HIGHSCHOOL football is, there would be just as much bitterness.

These people down here love their traditions and Highschool football on a Friday night is one not to be messed with. xlolx

Appguy
May 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM
I just can't believe how many people ive encountered on app boards that are against it for one reason or another. I wouldn't care what day of the week we played to get on ESPN2, especially since its on Halloween and only one week (until the playoffs anyway :) )

appfan2008
May 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM
wow what an ass... we can play football whenever we want to...

catdaddy2402
May 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Glad to hear that Appalachian State has done the right thing and worked with the NCHSAA to ensure there wasn't a conflict with Watauga. The East Carolina Friday Night game mentioned by the author caused ECU a ton of heartache with the high schools, and hurt recruiting. Since the Fayetteville media and high schools are familiar with that situation, I believe that's where the article comes from.

It's hard to turn down the publicity, but IMO it's bad business for college football to be played on Friday nights in the regions where Friday night means high school football games. In fact, one has to argue the value of the publicity gained from playing the game. Potential recruits are going to be playing their high school games. so you can't claim it's a recruiting tool.

clpboyzzz
May 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Who cares!!!!! The NFL plays games on Thursdays and Saturdays. So I guess they are hurting JV football and college football. Look at the opening two weeks of the college football season. There are games Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Grizzaholic
May 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Who cares!!!!! The NFL plays games on Thursdays and Saturdays. So I guess they are hurting JV football and college football. Look at the opening two weeks of the college football season. There are games Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Why are you upset with that? You should be pumped for 5 straight days of football!

appsfan
May 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM

I like that idea but the problem then becomes competition with Sarturday's college games. I think college football should avoid Friday nights, but I cannot argue against a team (especially FCS) taking advantage of national exposure. Within North Carolina this year, how many Friday night college games are there going to be? One or two? There is no way that is going to hurt HS football in the state as a whole. This is much ado about nothing.

APPALACHIANstate
May 1st, 2008, 08:43 PM
Let me share a story about the great North Carolina High School Athletic Assoc.

I grew up wrestling in a program that year in year out competes for a state title on the high school level. There are more fans at a home match than there are at a home football game(i know, sad). So you can imagine the atmosphere.

This past February, the western regional champion was to host the state championship match. After the Eastern champion was decided, that champ then wrote to the NCHSAA complaining that they would "absolutely" not compete on our home mat because of our hostile fans. The Association granted them their wish and made the teams travel to a neutral site costing our school and fans thousands of dollars.

Guess what I'm trying to say is. The NCHSAA can blow a big one!!xthumbsupx

An Alleghany Trojan eh?

I wrestled right down the road from you if you are from Alleghany, I also won a state championship when I wrestled.

clpboyzzz
May 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Why are you upset with that? You should be pumped for 5 straight days of football!

I am saying the guy writing the column is acting like ASU is the only one playing on a day other than saturday. I love the fact ASU is playing a Friday night game on Halloween night on ESPN2

ASUMountaineer
May 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Scholastic sports editor Earl Vaughan Jr. can be reached at [email protected] or 486-3519

Give 'em HELL!!!!!!!!!

Response has been sent, we'll see if I get one back.

GannonFan
May 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM

The NFL typically avoids playing games on Saturdays until the college football regular season is over. That's why Saturday NFL games typically occur in December. They understand that playing on Saturdays would unfairly encroach on the college game (and high school games played Saturday mornings) and make fans have to pick which one to watch.

It's not the end of the world to be playing on a Friday night, but it does lack a little etiquette. If local high school teams don't typically play Friday night games then it's not a big deal (there are plenty of areas in the US that don't have such an attachment to Friday nights) but if there are then it should be avoided if possible.

Eyes of Old Main
May 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM
If the schools involved want to play football on a Friday night to garner some national TV exposure, then let that be their decision. Like it or not, at this level you have to do what you have to do to get your name out no matter who you are.

As for the recruiting angle, every level of athlete has a corresponding level of school. There is FBS talent, FCS talent, D-II talent, etc. FCS talent will end up at FCS schools for the most part. FBS talent at FBS schools. FCS talent shouldn't have a problem with either school involved here since both would be desirable destinations. Likewise, some lower level FBS talent might see this and decide playing time and winning is more fun than riding the bench at Rice, MTSU, or someplace like that.

AppMan
May 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
As my son pointed out to me earlier, why don't the same rules apply when the NCHSAA plays 4 championship games on Saturdays during the playoffs? Plus, this clown is a unc-ch & nc state homer and he's just upset one of his precious ACC teams isn't on ESPN2. One Friday night game in 80 years of playing football. Give me a break. Get over it dude.

thmst30
May 1st, 2008, 10:53 PM
As my son pointed out to me earlier, why don't the same rules apply when the NCHSAA plays 4 championship games on Saturdays during the playoffs? Plus, this clown is a unc-ch & nc state homer and he's just upset one of his precious ACC teams isn't on ESPN2. One Friday night game in 80 years of playing football. Give me a break. Get over it dude.
Thats true, WHS was one game away from the state finals in each of the last two seasons, and both times I was conflicted because it would be so great and rare to see them in the state finals, BUT ASU was in the playoffs as well. So NCHSAA is certainly not the only victim here, they do the same thing and they do it when the games are more important on both levels.

catamount man
May 2nd, 2008, 06:49 AM
I'm replying to that inbreed Lumbi-Fu** right now. I beleive there are plenty of other topics on that crap end of the state to whine about. I'm all about tradition but my aching a$$! Shut Up!! Thats the worst crap I've ever read.

Amen. Everything east of Raleigh could fall into the Atlantic and I wouldn't care. I feel the citizens of WNC would feel the same way. xthumbsupx

bluehenbillk
May 2nd, 2008, 07:14 AM
If the FBS can pimp themselves out & play from Tuesday's to Saturday's why can't FCS play a Friday night game to get a rare regular seaon game on a major network??

neersnbeers
May 2nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
An Alleghany Trojan eh?

I wrestled right down the road from you if you are from Alleghany, I also won a state championship when I wrestled.

Oh yeah. And ribbed for tha pleasure!

Touchdown Yosef
May 2nd, 2008, 07:57 AM
I don't think this game was chosen to be on friday night more than it was chosen to be played on Halloween. I think the fans, students, and community would all have rather played on Saturday night but we are not quite big enough to dictate our own TV schedule so we take what we can get and are very appreciative of it.

tribe_pride
May 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
The NFL typically avoids playing games on Saturdays until the college football regular season is over. That's why Saturday NFL games typically occur in December. They understand that playing on Saturdays would unfairly encroach on the college game (and high school games played Saturday mornings) and make fans have to pick which one to watch.

It's not the end of the world to be playing on a Friday night, but it does lack a little etiquette. If local high school teams don't typically play Friday night games then it's not a big deal (there are plenty of areas in the US that don't have such an attachment to Friday nights) but if there are then it should be avoided if possible.

I am surprised it took 4 pages to bring up that the NFL does this for the NCAA and would agree with all of what you said if App. St. had other opportunities to be on national tv. If App. St. played on national tv (other than playoffs) on a regular basis, I believe the etiquette applies. Since this appears to be a rare opportunity, App. St. had to take advantage of the one time offer. When is the next regular season game they will be able to be on ESPN or ESPN2?

AppStFan76
May 2nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
I would love to see WHS move their game to Saturday, and during the App/Wofford game make an anouncement encouraging all fans to attend the SATURDAY NIGHT WHS Football game.

Hell let the High School play their game at KBS ( for old times sake).

I guess some are forgetting all the year WHS used KBS for home games.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
What's funny is that Princeton has played a couple of Friday games to get on ESPNU, and AFAIK New Jersey high schools didn't get up in arms about it.

Personally, I think the story about "hurting high school sports, which are already short on money as it is" is wayyy overplaying their hand. I mean, xbawlingx , one game isn't going to kill them. As long as the games are infrequent, and something is done to work out the situation with the local high schools, to me this sounds like a lot of whining about nothing.

It's not Friday games that bother me. It's TUESDAY games which is just going way, way to far IMO.

mountain_man
May 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
The NCHSAA is nothing more than a bunch of pimps, whoring out their members for the almighty dollar. They expanded to 8 classifications to get more gate money during playoffs. You end up with teams from the mountains traveling to the coast and vice versa playing first round games because the east and west don't match up numbers wise in the 1A/1AA and 2A/2AA. All of these matchups pit a 1 or 2 win team against a conference champion. I have heard of teams not wanting to play the games (traveling 6 hours or more, and getting beat by 40), and being told by the NCHSAA that they would be fined heavily if they didn't travel to get their teeth kicked in. Midway HS which is on the coast, traveled 6 or so hours to Avery HS a few years ago to play in 20 degree weather. They lost by around 49 or so to nothing. They didn't want to be there, and they didn't deserve to be there. The kids knew it, and the coaches knew it. But the NCHSAA gets double the games, and double the $$$, so what do they care. In NC it means nothing to make the playoffs anymore. If you have 11 players that can fog a mirror up with their breath, you are eligible. Then you can live with the memories of driving across the state and back, and having your a$$ handed to you.

"Hey Bill, remember that time we rode that uncomfortable activity bus for 6 hours, froze or butts off, and got beat by 60?"
"Heck yeah Steve!" "That was one of the best times of my high school days." "My favorite part was the ride back because we couldn't afford a hotel room for the night."

"GOOD TIMES, GOOOOD TIMES!"

And this guy at the rag in Fayettenam is giving ASU a hard time, because "ASU owes them the respect to not play on Friday nights when they are clawing for every nickel they can get in these difficult economic times." Times are tough for everyone, and the last time I checked, there are just as many high school football games played on the ESPN networks than FCS games. Will Mr. Vaughn complain if a high school game is televised whilest his beloved Pirates are playing?

ASU is on their way, but they are not there yet. This is a good thing for the FCS, a good thing for ASU, and a good thing for the fans. I for one am excited as hell to be playing on Halloween Friday night!

The Moody1
May 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
I am surprised it took 4 pages to bring up that the NFL does this for the NCAA and would agree with all of what you said if App. St. had other opportunities to be on national tv. If App. St. played on national tv (other than playoffs) on a regular basis, I believe the etiquette applies. Since this appears to be a rare opportunity, App. St. had to take advantage of the one time offer. When is the next regular season game they will be able to be on ESPN or ESPN2?

The only reason the NFL avoids for playing on Saturdays are purely selfish. It would hurt their TV ratings and effect attendance in some markets. The NFL is all about $ and if it made financial sense to play on Saturday they wouldn't hesitate.

eaglesrthe1
May 2nd, 2008, 03:54 PM

I call horse****. What they understand is that they would be competing with college football for advertisers and viewership and therefore $$$. It's for business reasons, not for fairness.

If playing on Friday brings a wave of criticism then ASU will change their approach. If not then the high schools will have to accept it and move on. The university has done their part by letting them know their intentions so that they at least have an opportunity to react. There is no ownership of Friday nights.

Touchdown Yosef
May 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
I got a response back from teh author and he claims that the one Friday night game ECU had "set there program back years"

I just find that a little hard to believe.

Longhorn
May 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM

Completely agree. Good for App St. All FCS fans will be watching!

T-Dog
May 2nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
I got a response back from teh author and he claims that the one Friday night game ECU had "set there program back years"

There have been many other things that have set ECU back years, and Friday night games aren't one of them.

How many people does Greenville Rose HS draw (for those who don't know, Rose HS and ECU are both in Greenville)? I imagine for the Rose/New Bern game it's quite a few. Watauga draws a couple thousand people and they have a rabid student base. I know they're a power and Watauga is an emerging power. Ironically, Watauga and Rose almost played in the 4A title game two years ago (if Watauga would have won the semifinals)

The only Friday games we've had in the last forever have been games we've had to have on Friday (3 Nat'l Titles games and 07 semifinals vs Richmond due to Delaware's travel problems). Why the heck is this guy trying to make this a big deal and misinform his readers?

And another story from the NCHSAA, my HS soccer team was going to our first 4A playoffs and were scheduled to host the #5 seed from the weakest conference in the state (the conference name escapes me, but we would have played Scotland County HS, we were the #3 seed from our conference). Then a week beforehand they changed it to the #4 seed from the CAP 6, the toughest conference in the state (aka the Raleigh conference) and got Millbrook at home in the first round.

We were confused to say the least. At least we beat Millbrook 6-1. thumbsupx Then in the second round we went to Pinecrest (in Southern Pines aka home of Pinehurst Golf Course), the top seed in said weakest conference in the state (they were really good though, big fish in a tiny pond) and beat them. xthumbsupx

I respect Watauga HS for their support of ASU and vice versa. I imagine this doesn't bother Watauga all that much to change the game. The columnist is more concerned that Watauga is. Watauga's fans will show up regardless.

furman94
May 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
EXACTLY! If Watuga fans care enough to see their team play, they'll bypass ASU to go and seeum play! (who would do that though?!)

lillycafe
May 3rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Glad to hear that Appalachian State has done the right thing and worked with the NCHSAA to ensure there wasn't a conflict with Watauga. The East Carolina Friday Night game mentioned by the author caused ECU a ton of heartache with the high schools, and hurt recruiting. Since the Fayetteville media and high schools are familiar with that situation, I believe that's where the article comes from.

It's hard to turn down the publicity, but IMO it's bad business for college football to be played on Friday nights in the regions where Friday night means high school football games. In fact, one has to argue the value of the publicity gained from playing the game. Potential recruits are going to be playing their high school games. so you can't claim it's a recruiting tool.

Those same potential recruits for ASU, as well as for Wofford, will sure know that the game is on ESPN2 in front of a national TV audience. Definitely a recruiting tool not only for athletics, but potential students as well.

Appaholic69
May 3rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
I don't think anyone will have a problem with it simply because Wofford will have this past season's standout Eric Breitenstien on the team. Plenty of WHS fans will turn out just to see him play against APP.

813Jag
May 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
After reading this I won't complain about the FHSAA any more.

catdaddy2402
May 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM

It wasn't just the Friday Night game, as hiring someone as incompetent as Thompson as HC played a much bigger factor in setting the program back....but the Friday night game did make it where ECU wasn't welcome at quite a few NC high schools, so recruiting paid the price. When recruiting takes a hit your program suffers.

One of the first things Skip Holtz did when he got his staff in place was get them out pressing the flesh trying to mend those fences. They also have flat out refused to play Friday Night home games since, and only agreed to play the game this year because its the Friday after Thanksgiving and can be played early in the afternoon.

That said, from every indication here that does not seem to be the case with Appy's game.

KiddBrewer
May 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
as a citizen of boone for the last 3 years.....i can assure you a large majority of the students and families of WHS are thrilled about this, and other than a shorter week, by one day, they will be fine with it all.

seems like a NCHSAA problem completely to me. Boone is ASU, ASU is Boone. WHS knows and embraces that.

thmst30
May 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
I don't think anyone will have a problem with it simply because Wofford will have this past season's standout Eric Breitenstien on the team. Plenty of WHS fans will turn out just to see him play against APP.

DAMN that still pisses me off, I wish we could have gotten him. He can be an absolute beast of a safety or linebacker for Wofford.

Jerbearasu
May 4th, 2008, 11:13 AM
as a citizen of boone for the last 3 years.....i can assure you a large majority of the students and families of WHS are thrilled about this, and other than a shorter week, by one day, they will be fine with it all.

seems like a NCHSAA problem completely to me. Boone is ASU, ASU is Boone. WHS knows and embraces that.

It does not just effect WHS though... I went to high school in Charlotte and still attend a lot of my old high school's games. His point is bc this game is on Fri night people like me will opt to travel to Boone instead of going to their local high school games...

Once again, I am not agreeing with the guy bc it is just one game (if we did this multiple times I could see it being a problem) but that is where he is coming from. The first response I would shoot back to him is that HS championship games are on Sat which messes us up. We put up with it annually they deal with it once in a 100 years and their games aren't being broadcast nationally for it!