PDA

View Full Version : CSN Way: Three Paths To The Pros

Lehigh Football Nation
April 30th, 2008, 08:40 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/images/articles/91674_CSNWay.jpg
The CSN Way: Three Paths To The Pros (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=91674)

It was a great NFL draft if you played in the FCS. It’s rare enough that two FCS players get drafted in the first round, let alone eight in the first three rounds.

The story of the draft, however, is best summed up by the three different paths that three of the biggest stars of FCS have taken to the NFL.

When the Baltimore Ravens made University of Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco their QB savior for the future, I can’t say I was particularly surprised. Flacco’s arm strength is real, and Blue Hen fans will wax philosophic about his ability to lead Delaware in his two years at the helm in Newark

Yet in his two years at Delaware, he wasn’t able to wrestle the Walter Payton Award from Georgia Southern’s Jayson Foster in 2007. And not only did he miss out on the most prestigious award in FCS football, he didn’t separate himself from New Hampshire’s Ricky Santos in his quest for Colonial Athletic Association Offensive Player of the Year either. Flacco and Santos shared the award this past season.

The three FCS offensive superstars found their way onto NFL teams this weekend. Now, shortly after the NFL draft, these quarterbacks will take different roads to try to play on Sundays in the NFL. They couldn’t have been signed under more different circumstances.

DetroitFlyer
April 30th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Interesting article, but not including an FCS QB that WAS drafted in the fifth round simply screams that something is missing here. The fifth round draft pick's story is FAR more interesting than any of the three the author chose to write about. Too bad, as a decent article could have been a great article with a bit more effort IMHO.

AppAlum2003
April 30th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I'm actually so freaking sick and tired of you PFL guys whining about Josh Johnson that I hope he fails now so that I don't have to listen to it anymore. It's really unfortunate. Otherwise, I'd probably be cheering him on. Ugh.

andy7171
April 30th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I'm actually so freaking sick and tired of you PFL guys whining about Josh Johnson that I hope he fails now so that I don't have to listen to it anymore. It's really unfortunate. Otherwise, I'd probably be cheering him on. Ugh.

I'm sad to say that I agree with you. It's tiring.

I'll wait for DF to neg rep me again. xrolleyesx

Hoyadestroya85
April 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM
About Santos and McNair, if Santos had half of the raw athletic ability of Mcnair.. He would have been drafted in the first round

Hoyadestroya85
April 30th, 2008, 11:16 AM
but at the same time i think that Ricky was a UDFA steal and i really hope he ends up sticking SOMEWHERE, even if he has to go to the CFL or AFL (which i think he would be a superstar in)

Retro
April 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM
"IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW YOU GET THERE, IT'S WHAT YOU DO ONCE YOU'RE THERE"

DetroitFlyer
April 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Boo hoo hoo!xbawlingx I can only imagine this same article with Flacco left out.... Then you could rip Hen's fans.... I have a sneaking feeling that if AE is drafted or signed as an UDFA, etc. and a similar article is written next year and snubs AE, you will be one of the first to "whine"!

This is a FACT. There is no more amazing story of an FCS QB being drafted this year than the kid picked in the fifth round, period! I stand behind my original comments 1000%! The article was interesting, but not including the QB I referenced makes a decent article appear seriously lacking.

AppAlum2003
April 30th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Boo hoo hoo!xbawlingx I can only imagine this same article with Flacco left out.... Then you could rip Hen's fans.... I have a sneaking feeling that if AE is drafted or signed as an UDFA, etc. and a similar article is written next year and snubs AE, you will be one of the first to "whine"!

This is a FACT. There is no more amazing story of an FCS QB being drafted this year than the kid picked in the fifth round, period! I stand behind my original comments 1000%! The article was interesting, but not including the QB I referenced makes a decent article appear seriously lacking.

Actually, I'll be one of the first to say that Armanti most likely won't have a career in the NFL. Am I going to let that get me down? No, I'm going to enjoy the two years he has left.

I think there are a lot of posters that will agree with me that not ONE article can be posted about ANY FCS quarterback without someone chiming in about "JJ belongs in this discussion! He's not being given a fair chance! This is a conspiracy!" Stop being such a homer and get over it. The media is what it is. They get ahold of stories they think will get the most readers and run with it. Do yourself a favor an ignore it. You'll sleep better.

DetroitFlyer
April 30th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Actually, I'll be one of the first to say that Armanti most likely won't have a career in the NFL. Am I going to let that get me down? No, I'm going to enjoy the two years he has left.

I think there are a lot of posters that will agree with me that not ONE article can be posted about ANY FCS quarterback without someone chiming in about "JJ belongs in this discussion! He's not being given a fair chance! This is a conspiracy!" Stop being such a homer and get over it. The media is what it is. They get ahold of stories they think will get the most readers and run with it. Do yourself a favor an ignore it. You'll sleep better.

Frankly, I recommend that you take your own advice!

"Do yourself a favor and ignore it. You'll sleep better."

As for me, when I have an opinion that I want to post on a message board, I will continue to do so within the guidlines of AGS, ( or at least I will try to conform ).

Lehigh Football Nation
April 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Although JJ might have been interesting to add to the mix, I wanted to focus on Flacco (1st round), the guy he shared co-MVP honors with (Santos, who beat Flacco head-to-head) and the guy that beat him for the Payton award (Foster).

It would have been strange to say, "Johnson also didn't win the Walter Payton award, never played GSU, Delaware or UNH, didn't appear in the playoffs... but he got drafted in the fifth round!"

Not to take away from his accomplishment - I think he's a great get for the Bucs - but my linkage to all these things was the Payton award. For that matter, I neglected Tim Hightower, Lex Hilliard, Jerome Felton, Dexter Jackson... all Payton award candidates that got drafted, too.

AppAlum2003
April 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Frankly, I recommend that you take your own advice!

"Do yourself a favor and ignore it. You'll sleep better."

As for me, when I have an opinion that I want to post on a message board, I will continue to do so within the guidlines of AGS, ( or at least I will try to conform ).

Your complaining is not only annoying, it's off-topic. Is hi-jacking threads within the guidelines of AGS?

USDFAN_55
April 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Although JJ might have been interesting to add to the mix, I wanted to focus on Flacco (1st round), the guy he shared co-MVP honors with (Santos, who beat Flacco head-to-head) and the guy that beat him for the Payton award (Foster).

It would have been strange to say, "Johnson also didn't win the Walter Payton award, never played GSU, Delaware or UNH, didn't appear in the playoffs... but he got drafted in the fifth round!"

Not to take away from his accomplishment - I think he's a great get for the Bucs - but my linkage to all these things was the Payton award. For that matter, I neglected Tim Hightower, Lex Hilliard, Jerome Felton, Dexter Jackson... all Payton award candidates that got drafted, too.

That's kind of what I was getting when reading the article.

Of course I love when JJ is mentioned in articles, but he just didn't quite fit in with how you were writing that article. Maybe there should be an article about JJ and Hoyng about their paths to the NFL. Those two have a commonality that can be talked about.xnodx

AppAlum2003
April 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Good article, though. It really speaks volumes to the fact that there is a major difference between the Pro game and college ball. Success at one level doesn't always translate to the next.

AppAlum2003
April 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Of course I love when JJ is mentioned in articles, but he just didn't quite fit in with how you were writing that article. Maybe there should be an article about JJ and Hoyng about their paths to the NFL. Those two have a commonality that can be talked about.xnodx

Thank you.

DetroitFlyer
April 30th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Your complaining is not only annoying, it's off-topic. Is hi-jacking threads within the guidelines of AGS?

Ask the admins to review this thread if you are so concerned. I offered my opinion on the article.... I believe that I am fully in compliance with the terms and conditions of AGS.

AppAlum2003
April 30th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Ask the admins to review this thread if you are so concerned. I offered my opinion on the article.... I believe that I am fully in compliance with the terms and conditions of AGS.

We should play a game. You start a thread about some Dayton player and how he volunteers at an animal shelter. Then, I'll post in that thread about how DJ Smith of Appalachian State delivered food for Meals on Wheels last October and how everyone should be talking about that instead. Sound fun?

DetroitFlyer
April 30th, 2008, 02:56 PM
We should play a game. You start a thread about some Dayton player and how he volunteers at an animal shelter. Then, I'll post in that thread about how DJ Smith of Appalachian State delivered food for Meals on Wheels last October and how everyone should be talking about that instead. Sound fun?

Fun? Not really, but I would see nothing wrong you mentioning a kid from App State that is also doing good things. I would also not consider it off topic if you eliminated the following from your post:

"and how everyone should be talking about that instead."

Now, we are both "off topic" and the thread has been "hi jacked" IMHO! I am done dueling and this will be my last response to you on this subject.

BeauFoster
April 30th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Great post! The purpose of the article was about three of the most celebrated QBs in this years draft and how they all arrived in the NFL. The article wouldn't have made sense with Josh Johnson. Obviously, DF doesn't understand how things are linked together, only that something unrelated was left out.

DF - I hope that your helmet fits snug, I would hate for you to injure yourself when you walk into walls.