View Full Version : Future FBS Opponents for URI

Cobblestone
April 28th, 2008, 06:32 PM
We have:

2008 Boston College
2009 UCONN
2010 Buffalo
2011 Maryland

I'll be attending all. Maryland should be a fun trip. I was hoping we'd get Army again or Navy but it's a good balance of teams.Two ACC, one Big East and one MAC. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if Buffalo is FCS by then.

Seawolf97
April 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Nice scheduling. I think with your new coaching staff the Rams could make a few these tight games.

Uncle Buck
April 28th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Nice to see URI scheduling not only money games, but games that will hopefully indicate the direction the new coach is heading in. I'm excited to see how the new staff will change URI for the upcoming season.

minuteman65
April 29th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I will be rooting extra-hard for URI in their FBS games the next two years. If BC plays you like they played us last year (no Matt Ryan this year), you could pull it off.

Brad82
April 29th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Cobble-where did you get this?

Cobblestone
April 29th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Cobble-where did you get this?

Projo. Tried to verify it with Thorr at the spring game but he was surrounded by people all day. I did overhear a few others (5th Quarter Club types) mention this.

Tim James
April 29th, 2008, 07:38 AM
They would have dropped football if not for these games. These "money games" are single handidly keeping the football program alive.

andy7171
April 29th, 2008, 09:05 AM
We have:

2008 Boston College
2009 UCONN
2010 Buffalo
2011 Maryland

I'll be attending all. Maryland should be a fun trip. I was hoping we'd get Army again or Navy but it's a good balance of teams.Two ACC, one Big East and one MAC. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if Buffalo is FCS by then.

Interesting. Are you sure about Maryland in '11? Towson's FBS schedule in '08-Navy, '09-Northwestern, '10-Indiana, and '11-Maryland

Maryland has been making the rounds with the CAA South, I don't think they are going to play two FCS schools. xeyebrowx

Cobblestone
April 29th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Hey cobble did you go to the last Conn game? I did what a blow out.I hate all things UCONN.

Yeah I was there. The only thing I hate about UCONN are their drunk and ignorant punk@$$ "fans".

Cobblestone
April 29th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Interesting. Are you sure about Maryland in '11? Towson's FBS schedule in '08-Navy, '09-Northwestern, '10-Indiana, and '11-Maryland

Maryland has been making the rounds with the CAA South, I don't think they are going to play two FCS schools. xeyebrowx

Here is what was reported:

From PROJO.COM:

Football, the most expensive sport at URI, was not cut because it generates revenue through guarantees from Football Bowl Division opponents. URI will play Boston College in 2008, and has signed contracts to play Connecticut, Buffalo and Maryland.

I could be guessing on the year but I would have to assume that they are listed chronologically.

andy7171
April 29th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Maybe URI plays the Twerps in '12, we are the last CAA-South team for them to play in '11. Could they go to the CAA-North? Makes sense.

http://www.towsontigers.com/sports/football/release.asp?release_id=3252

Cobblestone
April 29th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Maybe URI plays the Twerps in '12, we are the last CAA-South team for them to play in '11. Could they go to the CAA-North? Makes sense.

http://www.towsontigers.com/sports/football/release.asp?release_id=3252

Yes that could be. We've been playing FBS teams on a consistent basis for the past 3 seasons, Cincy, UCONN, Army and BC this season. Whenever we play them I plan on being there. I'm just glad we've got a contract.

DFW HOYA
April 29th, 2008, 12:05 PM
URI gets a nice run of I-A games while the Patriot League can't get its calls returned by these same teams.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 29th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah I was there. The only thing I hate about UCONN are their drunk and ignorant punk@$$ "fans".

When we down some Tuckerman's this Fall, I'll pass along a few more reasons to dislike the Sled Dogs. ;) xwhistlex xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

Jackman
May 3rd, 2008, 08:33 PM
UConn is playing URI again?? What does it take for UMass to get a game? They backed out of the one scheduled for 2012.

Can we borrow URI's uniforms? Maybe they'll play us then.

Seawolf97
May 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Boston College and Buffalo could be winnable. UConn and Maryland are tough one. I would like to see a home and away with URI one of these seasons could be fun.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM
UConn is playing URI again?? What does it take for UMass to get a game? They backed out of the one scheduled for 2012.

Can we borrow URI's uniforms? Maybe they'll play us then.

A few 2-9, 3-8 or 4-7 seasons! xwhistlex xwhistlex xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

I don't think there is any coincidence that long time Yankee Conference mates UMass and UNH have not been on the Sled Dog's schedule. Nor Delaware who was a conference partner for 15 years or so. During these early years of FBS football, they sure don't want the bruised psyche that a loss to or close win over one of their former Yankee Conference mates would cause.

Look how they've scheduled to date, they play lower level teams in other BCS leagues not the iron. But at the end of the day, I have to give them credit because they've got people to care about football. They now usually sell out 40K Rentschler Field.

Still, in 2006 I'm convinced that many of the top A-10 teams could have beaten the Sled Dogs. That year they lost at home to Wake Forest 13-24 and Navy 17-41. At the same time UMass lost by one point at Navy, UNH won at Northwestern and Richmond won at Duke 16-0. In 2007 UConn shored up the QB and offensive play significantly and against the top CAA teams it would have been more of an "any given Saturday" situation where excellent play by the CAA team would have been required for a win.

yorkcountyUNHfan
May 4th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Can I get in on that Tuckermans action?

You bring the good weather we'll bring the Tuckermans....deal?

Cobblestone
May 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
A few 2-9, 3-8 or 4-7 seasons! xwhistlex xwhistlex xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

I don't think there is any coincidence that long time Yankee Conference mates UMass and UNH have not been on the Sled Dog's schedule. Nor Delaware who was a conference partner for 15 years or so. During these early years of FBS football, they sure don't want the bruised psyche that a loss to or close win over one of their former Yankee Conference mates would cause.

Look how they've scheduled to date, they play lower level teams in other BCS leagues not the iron. But at the end of the day, I have to give them credit because they've got people to care about football. They now usually sell out 40K Rentschler Field.
Still, in 2006 I'm convinced that many of the top A-10 teams could have beaten the Sled Dogs. That year they lost at home to Wake Forest 13-24 and Navy 17-41. At the same time UMass lost by one point at Navy, UNH won at Northwestern and Richmond won at Duke 16-0. In 2007 UConn shored up the QB and offensive play significantly and against the top CAA teams it would have been more of an "any given Saturday" situation where excellent play by the CAA team would have been required for a win.

If you're saying that people in the A.D.'s office at UCONN care about their football program then I will agree with you. But please don't think that the 40,000 "fans" who go to Rentschler give a damn about football or even understand it. I went to Rentschler a few times when it was first built and I can tell you that 39,000 of those 40,000 people were there only to get drunk. They drink the hard stuff in the tailgate lot then go into the stadium and camp out at the beer stands. Many times I had to step over vomit in order to get to the men's room. After a few games I finally stopped going there, until we played them two years ago. I really wish we weren't playing them again because I think UCONN fans are the biggest idiots in all of sports. I look forward to BC, Maryland and even Buffalo but I dread going back to Rentschler. I'll make it enjoyable though by visiting the Cabela's next door to the stadium.

89Hen
May 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Maryland has been making the rounds with the CAA South
I was going to mention that. Apparently the Terps are trying to complete their CAA collection much like collecting the state quarters. :)

2006 - W&M
2007 - Villanova
2008 - Delaware
2009 - JMU
2011 - Towson
TBD - URI

andy7171
May 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I was going to mention that. Apparently the Terps are trying to complete their CAA collection much like collecting the state quarters. :)

2006 - W&M
2007 - Villanova
2008 - Delaware
2009 - JMU
2011 - Towson
TBD - URI

Wow, I think I might just root for Byrd Stadium imploding that game! xcoolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM
If you're saying that people in the A.D.'s office at UCONN care about their football program then I will agree with you. But please don't think that the 40,000 "fans" who go to Rentschler give a damn about football or even understand it. I went to Rentschler a few times when it was first built and I can tell you that 39,000 of those 40,000 people were there only to get drunk. They drink the hard stuff in the tailgate lot then go into the stadium and camp out at the beer stands. Many times I had to step over vomit in order to get to the men's room. After a few games I finally stopped going there, until we played them two years ago. I really wish we weren't playing them again because I think UCONN fans are the biggest idiots in all of sports. I look forward to BC, Maryland and even Buffalo but I dread going back to Rentschler. I'll make it enjoyable though by visiting the Cabela's next door to the stadium.

I've only been to the Rent for their Spring Game -- it's free and it's a good destination for a bike ride. :p The only time I'll have any of my hard earned money go to that fricken place is if UNH is playing. And if a regular season game there is as bad as you describe, and I do believe you, then I could care less if UNH ever plays them again.

My only point was that they have been able to sell out the Rent with 40K people. I know as a taxpayer I was against the state giving them $93 million because based on their I-AA days, I didn't think they had a chance to get 50% capacity. For over 20 years I worked with scores of Sled Dog alumni. Not once did I ever find one interested in their football program and wanting to attend their game with UNH in Storrs. A few would go to the Yale game in New Haven, that's it.

All I was giving them credit for was them actually getting 40K in the stands because they rarely got 14K into Memorial Stadium. I'll be a Ram fan the day URI plays the Sled Dogs at the Rent.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM
You bring the good weather we'll bring the Tuckermans....deal?

Deal.xthumbsupx

We need some help on that good weather thing! Seems that YC, 05 and myself have had a string of games with poor weather!! Not that we let that stop us! xrotatehx xlolx

Can't believe it's going to be four months before the next kickoff! :(

Cobblestone
May 5th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I've only been to the Rent for their Spring Game -- it's free and it's a good destination for a bike ride. :p The only time I'll have any of my hard earned money go to that fricken place is if UNH is playing. And if a regular season game there is as bad as you describe, and I do believe you, then I could care less if UNH ever plays them again.

My only point was that they have been able to sell out the Rent with 40K people. I know as a taxpayer I was against the state giving them $93 million because based on their I-AA days, I didn't think they had a chance to get 50% capacity. For over 20 years I worked with scores of Sled Dog alumni. Not once did I ever find one interested in their football program and wanting to attend their game with UNH in Storrs. A few would go to the Yale game in New Haven, that's it.

All I was giving them credit for was them actually getting 40K in the stands because they rarely got 14K into Memorial Stadium. I'll be a Ram fan the day URI plays the Sled Dogs at the Rent.

I can agree with you on what you are saying. UCONN has done a great job of marketing their program and facility. They have recently built some excellent training facilities on campus for the football team thus showing their comittement to the program. I agree they've done a good job of making the jump from (at the time) I-AA to I-A. The quality of the "fans" they attract is another story for another time but I will give them credit for coming up with a good plan and implementing it.

JDC325
May 5th, 2008, 01:59 PM
We have:

2008 Boston College
2009 UCONN
2010 Buffalo
2011 Maryland

Payouts?

Cobblestone
May 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Payouts?

xnodx