View Full Version : Montana St. Final Spring Scrimmage

GOKATS
April 26th, 2008, 07:07 PM
From MSU-

Bobcats, Weather Shine in Great Falls
MSU Bobcats Bobcat Football News : 2008-04-26 : Great Falls, MT
By Bill Lamberty

Sunshine and good football abounded at Memorial Stadium in Great Falls on Saturday...

Even with Montana State quarterbacks throwing for 280 yards without an interception and freshman defensive end Brad Smith playing like a one-man wrecking crew, the action on the field - at least at times - took a back seat to the weather.

"We had sunshine," Montana State coach Rob Ash said with a smile after presiding over his first Triangle Classic Spring Game in Great Falls High's Memorial Stadium. "It was a terrific day."

MSU's traditional spring finale, in front of a crowd around 3,000, punctuated a spring plagued by unpredictable weather and a choppy practice schedule. On Saturday, though, impressive performances were everywhere, as the offense topped the defense 47-27 using the Modified Ash-Beck One-Point Must System.

"Brad Smith had a great game," Ash said of the redshirt defensive end who compiled three sacks, two other tackles for loss, and a pair of tipped passes. "His entire year has been great. You have to give DeAndre Green for hanging in there after the adversity he faced last fall with the eligibility issues, he had a good day. Bobby (Daly) had a good day. There were a lot of good things today."

While none of the three main combatants for starting quarterback honors in the fall claimed the position, all three - junior college transfer Mark Iddins, sophomore Jordan Rasmussen, and converted receiver Mark Desin - played at a high enough level to leave Ash comfortable entering the fall. "We still have a battle," he said.

Ash did praise each of the three for their efforts on Saturday. "I think it's still even between Mark (Iddins) and Jordan. As the game went on in the second half the defense changed some things with their substitutions, so we have to take that into account in our evaluation. I think Jordan played well, and so did Iddins. The thing I'm most happy about is that there were no interceptions."

Iddins finished the day with 101 yards on 8-for-13 passing, while Rasmussen was 8-for-15 for 74 yards. Desin was 8-for-12 for 105 yards. Derek Green emerged as the busiest receiver, catching six passes for 57 yards, while DeAndre Green caught four balls for 27 yards.

After a first half dominated by the defense - a 39-yard field goal by Michael Sweeney and a 22-yarder by Eric Fisher gave the offense its only points scored other than by sustaining drives - MSU's offense pieced together a pair of long scoring drives in the second. Mark Iddins scored on a five-yard run on the third quarter's first drive, which covered 60 yards. Blayde Becksted scored on a two-yard run to cap a 67-yard drive engineered by Iddins on the third drive of the second half. The Bobcat defense forced only one three-and-out possession in the second half, after forcing four in the first.

Ash indicated he was pleased with his team's effort on Saturday, and with its focus throughout the spring in spite of challenging circumstances. "We had a good day today, and we got a lot done this spring. It wasn't always easy, but the coaches kept things moving forward and the kids made it a productive spring. This was a perfect ending."

RUSHING: Blayde Becksted 11-59-1, Anthony Tillemans 15-45-1, Mark Iddins 6-24-1 (not including sacks).

PASSING: Mark Iddins 18-13-0, 101, 0; Jordan Rasmussen 15-8-0, 74, 0; Mark Desin 12-8-0, 105, 0.

RECEIVING: Derek Green 6-57-0; DeAndre Green 4-27-0; Brandon Bostick 3-29-0; Jamelle Banks 3-22-0, Deon Tolliver 3-32-0; Mecklen Davis 2-43-0; Michael Chopp 2-20-0; Shane Robison 2-17-0; Kyle Begger 2-22-0; Tyler Bolton 1-11-0; Derek Erickson 1-5-0.

PUNTING: Eric Fisher 3-40.7, Tyler Bolton 3-33.3.

DEFENSIVE HIGHLIGHTS: Brad Smith - 3 sacks, 5 tackles-for-loss, 2 pass breakups; Jeff Price - 1 sack, 1 pass breakup; Ryan Cerise - 1 sack; Dan Ogden - 1 sack; David Taylor - 1 pass breakup; Chris Kolone - 1 pass breakup; Isaiah Taito - 1 pass breakup; kevin Retoriano - 1 pass breakup; Matt Harris - 1 tackle-for-loss.

slostang
April 26th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Hey GOKATS, when are the Bobcats going to play Cal Poly again? I hope soon. I enjoyed the games with Montana State.

GOKATS
April 27th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Hey GOKATS, when are the Bobcats going to play Cal Poly again? I hope soon. I enjoyed the games with Montana State.

Hopefully never, you guys have our number.xnodx xsmiley_wix

Really, I'd like to see it happen, but it's doubtful. We play one money game (this year two with Minnesota and Kansas St.) and have four home conference games so the other two OOC games have to be home games (the fans expect, and the AD has pretty much guaranteed six home games per year). Maybe during the next 12 game season which I think is about four years down the road. I'd like to see a home/away with Cal Poly, but with nine teams in the Big Sky we just don't have the flexibility in scheduling that the Great West has.

CopperCat
April 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM
When I read this article I was a little amazed to find that the offense was the "team" that came out on top. Its good to see that Ash has them producing like they are. But on the flip side, what happened to that dominant defense of yore that we have grown accustomed to? Last year we were slipping a little towards the end of the season, and that worried me a little. I hope that by the time the first kickoff rolls around that the Cats have found their strides on both sides of the ball.

CrazyCat
April 27th, 2008, 02:50 PM
When I read this article I was a little amazed to find that the offense was the "team" that came out on top. Its good to see that Ash has them producing like they are. But on the flip side, what happened to that dominant defense of yore that we have grown accustomed to? Last year we were slipping a little towards the end of the season, and that worried me a little. I hope that by the time the first kickoff rolls around that the Cats have found their strides on both sides of the ball.

If I remember correctly the 1st team defense had four three and outs in the 1st half. The second half the coaches were substituting freely and the offense took advantage. If we can get some depth at corner this defense will be "dominant" just as you suggest. Our tackling seems to have improved and our overall depth will help some of our special teams problems from last year. I'm praying the kicker from Texas will answer those questions.

catbob
April 27th, 2008, 11:52 PM
It doesn't help that we only had one CB suited up. We had Colby Kinna playing CB!