PDA

View Full Version : NEC Football Gains Championship Access Through Bracket Expansion

aceinthehole
April 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM
League Champion to Receive Auto Berth into FCS Playoffs Beginning 2010
4/25/2008

Somerset, NJ — As a result of the NCAA Board of Directors’ approval of a new budget that allows for the expansion of the Division I Football Championship Subdivision post-season bracket, the Northeast Conference will gain automatic access into the Division I Football Championship beginning in 2010. NEC Football is also eligible for automatic qualification into the championship bracket during the 2008 and 2009 seasons if its champion meets specifications of the bridge program.

Read more:

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2008/4/25/FB-Gain%20AQ-08.asp?path=fball

DetroitFlyer
April 25th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Good for the NEC! Not much help for the head in the sand PFL, but I'm thrilled to see the Old Guards' grip on the status quo flushed down the john!

TexasTerror
April 25th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Can someone confirm why this "makes the championship stronger"...?

USDFAN_55
April 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Commence the whiningxnodx
Good for the NEC, and the FCSxthumbsupx

Dane96
April 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
TT

It is done...now quit your whining.

Dane96
April 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM
This will absolutely help NEC recruiting and make the teams stronger. Believe me, Albany went through this as an indy in hoops. Once we had a conference title to shoot for, one that would get us in the playoffs, we got a different athlete.

I think you will see the NEC get stronger because of this...and I think it will help the playoff field...not hurt it.

TexasTerror
April 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM
It is done...now quit your whining.

I am not whining, I am more or less perplexed on why the championships will become stronger...

Congrats to the others who benefit the most from this outside of the NEC, that being the OVC and MEAC, who will have an even better chance at getting some wins and the SWAC, since they seem to be on the doorstep of getting an at-large (and possibly, their first Div I playoff win)...

FargoBison
April 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Love this decision, congrats to the NEC and Big South. xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

Go...gate
April 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Good news. The more the merrier.

Shockerman
April 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Can someone confirm why this "makes the championship stronger"...?

Does having 64 teams and a 16 seed make the NCAA Basketball tournament any stronger? No. However, it allows the sport to grow as teams and conferences have something to play for. The NEC and Big South will gain and grow from this...congrats!

downbythebeach
April 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Great day for the NEC

xpeacex xbowx xbowx xpeacex xeekx xreadx :p xlolx xrotatehx :) :D xnodx

ursus arctos horribilis
April 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
This is some good news. Congrats to the NEC on this one. I think it may take a few years but it will be a real shot in the arm for the Big South and the NEC to have something to really shoot for. I guess that insider information that McTailgator was getting wasn't all that credible.

Uncle Buck
April 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Great news for the NEC and it should absolutely help recruiting. To tell a kid that winning the conference guarantees a playoff spot, it will certainly win some over.

I think the first playoff appearance will happen more than likely in 2010 though. The third item regarding the average rank will be a tougher criteria to meet than the other two.

aceinthehole
April 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Not to brag (but I will). xsmiley_wix

I called this back in 2005! xreadx I was mocked by some, but in the end, I was right when others "in the know" were just clueless.

The issue which many here still ignore was EQUAL ACCESS, period the end. It was never about the GPI or 16 being a "magic number" of teams. The NEC got what it deserved, after a lot of hard work behind the scenes!

Thanks to the NEC front office (the AE could learn a lot from us) and to all NEC teams who have grown by leaps and bounds in the past few years. And to my fellow NEC fans - Now that this battle is won, there is still more work to do, but keep your head up the future is getting brighter. xthumbsupx

Thanks, this is my point! Yes, I hope CCSU beats URI and takes the NEC championship, but that is a tall order and I'm not holding my breath. ANd if they do the unlikely, I'm not expecting an at-large bid.

But...

Why can't the playoffs expand to 8 more teams (4 more at-large) and offer an auto-bid to the Big South, SWAC, and NEC? This is not unreasonable and would not differ from the process for other NCAA sports.

If a NCAA men's basketball a team with a losing record and a 250+ RPI can get a ticket to the big dance, why can't a conference champion from the NEC get its auto bid in football? What is the realtive difference between the ACC and the MEAC in basketball and the A-10 and NEC in football?

And please we are not talking about the MAAC or the Pioneer right now, just the NEC (with the Big South, etc.). If the NEC can get an auto-bid for every other sport, including W Volleyball and Softball, where they have little chance to win a NCAA game against a Pac-10 school in the first round, why is I-AA football any different?

I understand the A-10 is the strongest conference out here, but how does it hurt adding 1 auto bid for the NEC and a few others (in an expanded field)? I have yet to read a truly thoughfull answer from the the view of what is best for the sport. Instead we get everyone's opionion regarding their team's chances at winning the national championship. I'd just like to hear a real discussion of the merits of fairness in football compared to all NCAA sports.

aust42
April 25th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I was against the expansion but congrats to the NEC and Big South. So I assume the bye week during the regular season will be eliminated? There will be 1st round byes for top seeds? I guess this is yet to be determined?

Seahawks Fan
April 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Congrats to the NEC! This was well deserved. xthumbsupx

USDFAN_55
April 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM
All of a sudden the games against NEC teams mean something for the PFL.

danefan
April 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Good day for FCS football!

Great day for the NEC.

Rhode Island - we are awaiting your arrival!

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

TheValleyRaider
April 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Looking forward to it

Welcome to the autobid party Big South and NEC

xbeerchugx

WrenFGun
April 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Can anyone comment on what was said above? Will it be a 10 game slate now, because of this? That would be unfortunate. Or 11, with no bye?

Congrats to the NEC and the Big South.

Syntax Error
April 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Congrats to the Big South and NEC. It's all about AQ access these days with the NCAA D-I tourney.

BTW, the headline should read "Northeast Conference Football Gains Automatic Championship Access in 2010 Through Bracket Expansion." They already had championship access though never were chosen. xtwocentsx

89Hen
April 25th, 2008, 08:43 PM
This is GREAT news. Glad we will add another week to the playoffs so the #25, 29, 31 and 32 teams can participate. xthumbsupx

BobbyMo
April 25th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Great news for NEC

dgreco
April 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM

Great day for the NEC.

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

hopefully we make a big splash. Exciting day for the NEC.

Retro
April 25th, 2008, 11:49 PM
This just waterdown's the playoffs and drags it out long imo. Any team that is good enough is going to get in under the 16 team system provided they won with a quality schedule. Let's just turn this into the NFL where half the league is in the playoffs?xrolleyesx

So, now that's about 20% of the division in the playoffs of the eligible teams. Plus, the championship game will have to be played after x-mas or new years depending on the other bowl games if they want to have it TV, because now your going to have a tougher time avoiding FBS bowl games and NFL games unless the playoffs start a week earlier, which means everyone would have to start the season earlier or give up a bye or 12 game if that is the option in that particular year..

Anyway you look at it, it's a joke! All that's going to happen is 2 more teams from the usual conferences will get in and the NEC/big south champs will get in weak schedule or not. This doesn't help any of those other conferences become better teams or the quality of the playoff field whatsoever!

Syntax Error
April 26th, 2008, 12:50 AM
The Albany SID added to the NEC headline:
"Northeast Conference Earns Automatic Access to Division I FCS Post-Season Bracket in 2010."

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 26th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Great day for the NEC.

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

hopefully we make a big splash. Exciting day for the NEC.

I think Danefan was referring to URI joining the NEC for football.

hebmskebm
April 26th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I think the NEC wouldn't have pushed as hard as they did for a spot in the playoffs if they weren't serious about making the commitment to compete at the highest levels of FCS. I really think if they ramp up the schollies, they could begin making some noise on a national level within 5 years. They will begin to get some of the real good recruits out of PA and NJ that have might otherwise ended up in the CAA or elsewhere.

A quick question, how come everyone has put Duquesne in with Albany, CCSU, Monmouth, ect. in the "aggressively seeking schollies" camp? Have they made statements about it? I know they have a winning history, but they stayed non-schollie for as long as possible. If they are serious about schollies, they're sitting on a goldmine of potential talent out there in Western PA (along with RMU).

jcf5445
April 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM
This just waterdown's the playoffs and drags it out long imo. Any team that is good enough is going to get in under the 16 team system provided they won with a quality schedule. Let's just turn this into the NFL where half the league is in the playoffs?xrolleyesx

So, now that's about 20% of the division in the playoffs of the eligible teams. Plus, the championship game will have to be played after x-mas or new years depending on the other bowl games if they want to have it TV, because now your going to have a tougher time avoiding FBS bowl games and NFL games unless the playoffs start a week earlier, which means everyone would have to start the season earlier or give up a bye or 12 game if that is the option in that particular year..

Anyway you look at it, it's a joke! All that's going to happen is 2 more teams from the usual conferences will get in and the NEC/big south champs will get in weak schedule or not. This doesn't help any of those other conferences become better teams or the quality of the playoff field whatsoever!

Actually, only 12 of 32 NFL teams make the playoffs, and guess what - the Pittsburgh Steelers won the SuperBowl as the last team in from their conference. However, over half of the NBA and NHL teams make the playoffs, so maybe that's what you were thinking.

Anyways, if you don't think this will help teams from the NEC and Big South when it comes to recruiting, then your head is in the sand. I think the prospect of playing the playoffs will carry a little more weight than the Gridiron Classic.

Syntax Error
April 26th, 2008, 10:03 AM
... if you don't think this will help teams from the NEC and Big South when it comes to recruiting...No doubt the guarantee of the Big South and NEC getting an AQ into the playoff field will help their team's recruiting.

UAalum72
April 26th, 2008, 10:22 AM
The Albany SID added to the NEC headline:
"Northeast Conference Earns Automatic Access to Division I FCS Post-Season Bracket in 2010."
At the very least, the NEC front office earned their money.

Retro
April 26th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Actually, only 12 of 32 NFL teams make the playoffs, and guess what - the Pittsburgh Steelers won the SuperBowl as the last team in from their conference. However, over half of the NBA and NHL teams make the playoffs, so maybe that's what you were thinking.

Anyways, if you don't think this will help teams from the NEC and Big South when it comes to recruiting, then your head is in the sand. I think the prospect of playing the playoffs will carry a little more weight than the Gridiron Classic.

I meant to reference the NHL, not NFL. My bad...

My head is not in the sand, because showing up in the playoffs for a quick exit doesn't help recruiting.. Winning againest top competition in and out of the playoffs is what helps recruiting

UAalum72
April 26th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Of COURSE it helps recruiting. As for "Winning againest top competition in and out of the playoffs" tell me how many wins the entire OVC and MEAC have in this century.

Seawolf97
April 26th, 2008, 09:21 PM

My head is not in the sand, because showing up in the playoffs for a quick exit doesn't help recruiting.. Winning againest top competition in and out of the playoffs is what helps recruiting

I dont think there is any guarantee a NEC or Big South team is going to make a quick exit in the first round. Thats what the word upset is all about in sportsxpeacex

slostang
April 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Isn't that what McNeese State did in 2007?

Just busted your chops a little Retro. I know that the Cowboys were without there biggest weapons and limped into the playoffs this season. I am looking forward to the Mustangs playing against top competition like McNeese State in 2008.xthumbsupx

CID1990
April 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I am not whining, I am more or less perplexed on why the championships will become stronger...

Congrats to the others who benefit the most from this outside of the NEC, that being the OVC and MEAC, who will have an even better chance at getting some wins and the SWAC, since they seem to be on the doorstep of getting an at-large (and possibly, their first Div I playoff win)...

It will make the playoffs stronger because the bubble 7-5 teams in the playoffs (CAA and SoCon) will be able to get in some practice against the BigSouth - NEC teams before moving on to the meat of the brackets.