PDA

View Full Version : Never the two shall meet

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Just thinking today while I looked through some historical scores of the traditional I-AA teams that have never met (to the best of my knowledge) such as AppSt vs. Delaware and AppSt vs. YSU. Who do you have that you've never met and would love to see?

Hansel
October 6th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Del/Del St :eek: .....j/k

has Harvard played Grambling or Southern

colgate13
October 6th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Well, I can say that Colgate has not played against a Big Sky school. ANY team from that conference would be a first that I'd like to see.

Sam Adams
October 6th, 2005, 08:35 AM
UMass would like to play any Ivy League School (Hello Harvard) and a matchup with Grambling or FAMU would be fun.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I'd like Lehigh to play The Citadel, where coach Lembo would play against the former Lehigh head coach before Lembo was promoted (Kevin Higgins).

Other than that, I'd love to see Georgia Southern on the schedule. So, basically, more SoCon teams. We have played Wofford and Furman recently.

LacesOut
October 6th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Del St/UD

Umass74
October 6th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Well Sam Adams is a damm genius.

I would like Grambling or FAMU (although we met in the 1978 National Championship) or an Ivy.

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 09:38 AM
C'mon UMass fans, stick with the program. This is called NEVER the two shall meet, not haven't met in a long time. :p

UMass has played Harvard 20 times, as recently as 1988. They've also played Cornell, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth and FAMU. That pretty much leaves you with Grambling from your list.

Gil Dobie
October 6th, 2005, 09:43 AM
1986 or 1990 NDSU vs Georgia Southern

henfan
October 6th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Other than the obvious (DSU), Delaware-App State is one I want. Because I like visiting Hill Country as much as possible, I'd selfishly like to do a series with TX State. UC-Davis, Northwestern St., Cal-Poly and NAU would all be great places to visit. Oh yeah, NDSU, SFAU and Montana State.

Alas, because of UD's scheduling philosophy, most of these games could likely only happen in the post-season. Not this year for UD, I'm afraid. :(

Someday...

PMB4Life
October 6th, 2005, 10:17 AM
UNI vs. NDSU
UNI vs. Harvard

catbob
October 6th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I'd like the Cats to play Delaware, at either location. I'd like to go to Delaware though. Second choice is probably YSU. I don't wana play GSU because as evident of our 38-10 whooping courtesy of Cal Poly, we can't stop the option. :)

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I'd like the Cats to play Delaware... we can't stop the option. :)
Note to KC Keeler. Learn the option in the event we get to meet MSU. :D

Mr. C
October 6th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I think a series between Appalachian State and Youngstown State would be great. It isn't that much of a trip in terms of travel (maybe seven hours). I have a brother who lives outside of Cleveland and I would love a chance to see the Ice Palace. Hey Youngstown get rid of those sub-Division I games and schedule some good I-AA teams. I'd also like to see Appalachian schedule games with Delaware, Northern Iowa and McNeese State (they actually talked about games about a year and half ago). The SoCon, as a whole, should do more Gateway Conference games.

JALMOND
October 6th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I'd like to see Portland State play a team with some familiarity to the casual fan out here. We know the Big Sky and we drew pretty well when we played Grambling a few years back. We are familiar with most of the I-AA teams out west, most we have advanced through D-II with them. That said, I think we'd draw pretty well with one of the Ivies out here. If, on the schedule, people saw a Harvard or Princeton, it would not take much to "educate" them on that opponent.

rcny46
October 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM
UMass would like to play any Ivy League School (Hello Harvard) and a matchup with Grambling or FAMU would be fun.

UMass did play FAMU in a DIV.-2 playoff game in the mid 70's if I'm not mistaken.The game was played in Atlantic City (indoor site?),and A&M won the game.

slostang
October 6th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I would love to see Cal Poly play a top team from either the A-10 or Southern Conference. I think travel expenses will make this unlikely duing the regular season though. Maybe in the playoffs.

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I would love to see Cal Poly play a top team from either the A-10 or Southern Conference. I think travel expenses will make this unlikely duing the regular season though. Maybe in the playoffs.
UNH at UC-D to start this season. I guess it's not too far fetched.

Ivytalk
October 6th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I'd like to see Harvard play any of the A-10 teams. When I was an undergrad, we used to play UMass and Boston U. (when they still had FB) pretty often. Penn and Princeton played UD in the early 80s and got killed, but at least they played.

slostang
October 6th, 2005, 12:40 PM
What do you say 89Hen, a home and home between the Blue Hens and the Mustangs. That is a game I would travel across the country to see.

OrneryAggie
October 6th, 2005, 12:43 PM
If the admin at UCD payed Harvard, Princeton, Penn, or Yale to come to Davis it would be a garaunteed record crowd. These are teams that the NERDS at UCD will actually come out to see. There are a suprising number of Ivy grads who live in Davis also. If one of those 4 came out it would be the biggest game in town since the '82 DII semi's vs NDSU or the '77 games vs Nevada and Lehigh.

blueballs
October 6th, 2005, 12:55 PM
This is a true "ne'er shall the two meet," Harvard at GSU.

Could you imagine??? :D

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Maybe this has been stated before and I missed it, but why is Del/Del ST not a tradtional rivalry.

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 01:06 PM
What do you say 89Hen, a home and home between the Blue Hens and the Mustangs. That is a game I would travel across the country to see.
When I used the UNH example I guess I should have prefaced that with, some A10 teams will travel. UD likes being home and when they do go away, it's never too far. All three of UD's OOC games this year were at home. Matter of fact, the only game more than a 4 hour bus ride for the Hens is Maine. @ Villanova - 45 minutes, @ Towson - 45 minutes, @W&M - 4 hours. Even the I-A's that the Hens play are a short trip (Navy and Maryland are both about 1.5 hours). Heck, our AD wouldn't even give Lehigh a return trip! :p

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Maybe this has been stated before and I missed it, but why is Del/Del ST not a tradtional rivalry.
Don't start that up, I beg you. :p

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Don't start that up, I beg you. :p

But I really don't know.

catbob
October 6th, 2005, 01:15 PM
But I really don't know.

I'm also curious, I assumed they played each other??

Ivytalk
October 6th, 2005, 01:16 PM
This is a true "ne'er shall the two meet," Harvard at GSU.

Could you imagine??? :D

Sure, I can imagine: a slaughter of epic proportions, inflicted upon arrogant Ivy upstarts by a team of Southern gentlemen! :p

Chi Panther
October 6th, 2005, 01:17 PM
But I really don't know.

Demographics?

Sam Adams
October 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM
C'mon UMass fans, stick with the program. This is called NEVER the two shall meet, not haven't met in a long time. :p

UMass has played Harvard 20 times, as recently as 1988. They've also played Cornell, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth and FAMU. That pretty much leaves you with Grambling from your list.

I take artistic license with all thread titles. Bsides: 1988 is nearly 20 years ago (ugh!). Harvard refuses to play UMass as do the other ivies as far as I know. We haven't played FAMU in nearly 30 years. 1 day is a long time. 20 years is an eternity!!! :)

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I'm also curious, I assumed they played each other??
90% of DelState fans would like to see this game and 50% of Delaware fans would like to see this game. I'm in neither group, but I have softened my stance over the years. It's UD that is unwilling to play the game. But it's not the natural rivalry you'd think it'd be. DSU football support is basically non-existent (how many DSU fans have you seen here?), but they are trying to change that, at least they're trying to give the impression they're trying to change that. Our own Henfan is probably the most vocal UD fan in favor of the game. I just feel that playing the game at this point would feel like a cave-in by UD.

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 01:24 PM
90% of DelState fans would like to see this game and 50% of Delaware fans would like to see this game. I'm in neither group, but I have softened my stance over the years. It's UD that is unwilling to play the game. But it's not the natural rivalry you'd think it'd be. DSU football support is basically non-existent (how many DSU fans have you seen here?), but they are trying to change that, at least they're trying to give the impression they're trying to change that. Our own Henfan is probably the most vocal UD fan in favor of the game. I just feel that playing the game at this point would feel like a cave-in by UD.

Have the two schools NEVER played? What would you be caving in to?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Since it's been established that we're talking about schools that have *never* met, Lehigh and the Citadel did play a home-and-home in 1968 and 1969, so that's out.

That would mean I'd like to see Lehigh play: 1) Georgia Southern 2) McNeese, 3) why not Southern? If it's a home-and-home it would be costly for Lehigh, but since Lehigh has a growing base of players coming from Louisiana and Georgia, it would be cool for them to be able to play in front of friends and family down there.

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Have the two schools NEVER played? What would you be caving in to?
Never played. Caving into something the UD administration hasn't wanted to do.

windwalker
October 6th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I would like to see Coastal Carolina vs. ANY Ivy League team.. Especially Harvard.

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I have to say, I'm surprised at how many Ivy responses we're getting. We complain that ABC used to only show Ivy scores from I-AA and that PS or Xbox would only have Ivy or SWAC teams.... but here we are saying the one we'd most like to see our teams meet... Ivy. I guess it's partly a function of having played so many of the other teams, but that's not the case for Coastal, CalPoly, UC-D.... Perhaps also, it's because fans think their teams can beat the Ivy and that would somehow be redemption for their better academics? :confused:

If UD hadn't played GSU, YSU, Montana, UNI, WKU... these are the one's I'd be picking. Not the Ivies. That said, I'd like to see Princeton's stadium. Perhaps we can schedule a game against AppSt there. :p

th0m
October 6th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Teams that come to mind for JMU to play are teams like UNI, MSU, SIU, WKU.

Neither of those teams have every played JMU.

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I would like to see Yale play Northern Arizona simply because I live in AZ and could attend the game. Any 1-AA schools in Calif. would be good also for the same reason. Are there any 1-AA schools in New Mexico?

I guess I should have stated that it's obvious that I want Yale to play these teams on the road.

Sam Adams
October 6th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Playing the ivies is fun. Nice tailgating, nice people, cool (usually) old stadiums and a nice collegiate environment. It would be surprising to me if folks did not want to play against ivy league schools.

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Are there any 1-AA schools in New Mexico?
Nope.

http://www.i-aa.org/images/articles/35361_iaamap200w-4.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2005, 02:04 PM
I think people want to play the Ivies because they frequently don't play anybody outside their clique. With 7 league games, traditional "derby" games like Fordham/Columbia, Harvard/Holy Cross, Colgate/Cornell, Dartmouh/UNH and the like, and also agreements with other Patriot schools, there's at best room for 1 extra game, if that. Princeton normally plays Lehigh every year (it's an hour bus trip, tops, between the two campuses - and it's a good gate for both schools), but wanted to drop us in order to play a home-and-home with San Diego, simply because they wanted to do a West Coast trip and they didn't have the free date. (Lehigh's nationally-ranked teams also have something to do with that too, I'm sure).

Notably, Penn/Villanova is brewing into a very good rivalry, and Harvard/N'eastern has potential as well. It's hard to justify a Georgia Southern trip if 1) you're not looking for the playoffs, boosting your GPI and 2) when you have so many quality Patriot and A-10 teams close by that can serve the same purpose of challenging your team, without requiring a plane trip.

OL FU
October 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I would pick the biggest successful teams in I-AA but thanks to the playoffs we have played most of them.

McNeese and Northern Iowa are the first two that come to mind but I don't see either happening unless it is in the playoffs.

Hansel
October 6th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I have to say, I'm surprised at how many Ivy responses we're getting. We complain that ABC used to only show Ivy scores from I-AA and that PS or Xbox would only have Ivy or SWAC teams.... but here we are saying the one we'd most like to see our teams meet... Ivy. I guess it's partly a function of having played so many of the other teams, but that's not the case for Coastal, CalPoly, UC-D.... Perhaps also, it's because fans think their teams can beat the Ivy and that would somehow be redemption for their better academics? :confused:

If UD hadn't played GSU, YSU, Montana, UNI, WKU... these are the one's I'd be picking. Not the Ivies. That said, I'd like to see Princeton's stadium. Perhaps we can schedule a game against AppSt there. :p
Like it or not the Ivies have the biggest name recognition to the casual fan, I don't know if I would be particulary excited for an IVY game, but I know it would draw a big crowd in Fargo (which won't happen).

Harvard Worship
October 6th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Hey how about this for an idea: why don't the rest of the ivies stop playing Columbia? That would open up a scheduling spot for another out-of-conference team. I mean, Columbia isn't really worth playing anyway: they're usually pretty bad and only draw a few dozen fans. Literally. Furthermore its really embarassing when you lose to them and sorta ruins your week.
Personally, I would LOVE to see a Harvard-Davis matchup. I live right next to Stanford now and I remember the excitement the Davis fans brought down here to Stanford stadium. Imagine what a draw it would be if they played a team with an actual proud football tradition like Harvard or Yale. Also it might be a good match -- i'd certainly drive up to Davis to see it. I think Davis is a pretty impressive team right now.
And Yale actually DID have a game in California in week one. They played the San Diego Toreros in San Diego, CA.
Also why don't the Ivies play in the playoffs? I think that's the origin of the 1 crazy guy voting for Harvard #1 thing. I think it was a protest vote that no one gets to see how the Ivies stack up in the postseason.

Hansel
October 6th, 2005, 02:20 PM
For NDSU games, teams that we haven't played

UMass
Delaware
Maine
UNH
Villanova
Furman
GSU (the one in Georgia, we beat Grambling for a College Division title in '65... back when the SWAC was good)

Umass74
October 6th, 2005, 02:21 PM
UMass did play FAMU in a DIV.-2 playoff game in the mid 70's if I'm not mistaken.The game was played in Atlantic City (indoor site?),and A&M won the game.

UMass played UCal-Davis on 12/09/72 (both teams DII) at the last Boardwalk Bowl.

UMass won 35-14.

UMass and FAMU hooked up in the first I-AA National Championship on 12/16/78. FAMU ran over our butts for a 35-28 win. FAMU had a GSU-like 470 yards rushing and zero (0) yards passing, which is still in UMass All-time Opponent record low in passing yards...

SpiritCymbal
October 6th, 2005, 02:28 PM
I'd like to see Georgia Southern play Southern or Grambling.

Next choice would be Cal Poly (mostly b/c I live out here now and would love to see the down-south georgia boys play nearby)!

SochorField
October 6th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Harvard Worship-
I think a UC Davis-Harvard matchup is on the horizon. The Aggie basketball team is traveling to play the Crimson on Nov. 27 (@ Dartmouth two days prior). I think an athletic partnership is brewing. With the completion of the new stadium in 2006, look for teams like Harvard to come out to California to play the Ags.

GSUBass
October 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I'd like to see Georgia Tech finally play Georgia Southern...

I-AA teams though, any of the ivies, or any other team that GSU has never played.

colgate13
October 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Nope.

http://www.i-aa.org/images/articles/35361_iaamap200w-4.jpg

Completely off topic, but I always forget how far north Nebraska is. My mind wants to put it down by Texas, but reality is its more with the Dakotas and Wyoming!

OK, back on subject. How much does it suck that Vermont doesn't have any Division I football? That's the only state in the lower 48, right??? Does Alaska have any football?

GSUBass
October 6th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I'm thinking they have a Div II team or two.

Hansel
October 6th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Completely off topic, but I always forget how far north Nebraska is. My mind wants to put it down by Texas, but reality is its more with the Dakotas and Wyoming!

OK, back on subject. How much does it suck that Vermont doesn't have any Division I football? That's the only state in the lower 48, right??? Does Alaska have any football?
No FB in Alaska that I am aware

Nebraska is relatively North, there are alot of Husker fans in the Dakotas.

Hansel
October 6th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I'm thinking they have a Div II team or two.
they have a couple of DII schools, but neither plays football

colgate13
October 6th, 2005, 02:47 PM
they have a couple of DII schools, but neither plays football

Yea, I think their sole options consist of Middlebury and Norwich, both D-III.

Hansel
October 6th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Yea, I think their sole options consist of Middlebury and Norwich, both D-III.
who are we talking about VT or AK???

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2005, 03:03 PM
who are we talking about VT or AK???

Middlebury and Norwich are in VT.

DuckDuckGriz
October 6th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I would like to see:

Montana vs. UMass or Western Kentucky

blueballs
October 6th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Sure, I can imagine: a slaughter of epic proportions, inflicted upon arrogant Ivy upstarts by a team of Southern gentlemen! :p

You might want to ask the rest of the southern conference about that description...LOL

JALMOND
October 6th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Let me just say a few things about the Ivy league...

1. People, even those Div I-A fans out here on the west coast, know about the rivalries within the Ivy (Harvard/Yale, Penn/Princeton). They also know about the heavy emphasis placed on education by the Ivies. It would be easier for PSU to sell a game against the Ivy than to sell a game against, say, Wofford, no disrepect intended (I'm sure it would be an easier sell for Wofford to play the Ivies than to sell a game against Portland State).

2. Last year Harvard had an excellent season, but the Ivies do not participate in the I-AA playoffs. How they would fare against Montana, James Madison or Southern Illinois cannot be answered fairly unless they play the game on the field. I think all the talk here last year with respect (and some disrespect) to the Harvard team opened up the question of how would Harvard do against our team? The answer is simple, Let's play.

3. It is also true about the value of an Ivy education. Two people vying for the same job, one is a Harvard graduate and one is a Portland State grad. I think most would take the Harvard grad over the PSU grad, even though the PSU grad had 800 more yards rushing than the Harvard grad. What I am trying to say here is that most students and alums from PSU are mainly from the west coast. Most students and alums from, say, Delaware I would bet are from the east coast. But the Ivies draw from around the country and their alums go forth from the Ivies back to businesses around the country. Its the prestige of being an Ivy grad, you can basically write your ticket anywhere, and it is an easier sell because there is a good chance there are quite a few Ivy alums in your area who would see your team play an Ivy school.

McNeese75
October 6th, 2005, 04:20 PM
I'd like to see Georgia Southern play Southern or Grambling.

Next choice would be Cal Poly (mostly b/c I live out here now and would love to see the down-south georgia boys play nearby)!

It will be a cold day in you know where before that happens :D . Them Swacers would not know what to do with the T-Option :eek:

colgate13
October 6th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Its the prestige of being an Ivy grad, you can basically write your ticket anywhere, and it is an easier sell because there is a good chance there are quite a few Ivy alums in your area who would see your team play an Ivy school.

I see they brainwashed you too. :rolleyes: :o :p

Hoo-ah
October 6th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I would like to see UMass play in the regular season (but I doubt will ever happen) :

The Montanas
Idaho State
Portland State

At The Citadel
At VMI
At Hampton
At Howard
At Georgetown

Selfishly, so I can drive a couple hours (or a lot less) to see the game.

I know UMass has played GSU and Furman in the playoffs, but along with Western Kentucky, Appalachian State, Jacksonville State; I think it would be great for those teams to come-up to Amherst for a REGULAR season game. I doubt it will ever happen too. :(

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 07:53 PM
McNeese and Northern Iowa are the first two that come to mind but I don't see either happening unless it is in the playoffs.
Don't know about that. Delaware seemed about as far fetched given our propensity to play only at home, but we've got a home and home with the Dins coming up that I'm looking forward to.

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Selfishly, so I can drive a couple hours (or a lot less) to see the game.
Hoo-ah, just because UMass isn't coming doesn't mean you can't go to these venues! Come over for a Georgetown game (although waiting until next year would make more sense), you should also try to come down to W&M for the UD game!

Hoo-ah
October 6th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Hoo-ah, just because UMass isn't coming doesn't mean you can't go to these venues! Come over for a Georgetown game (although waiting until next year would make more sense), you should also try to come down to W&M for the UD game!

89, I'm thinking about going to a VMI or Citadel game just to experience the atmosphere (and to see if their cadets can march straight ;) ;) ;)). No offense to Georgetown or Howard but I would rather watch the CN8 I-AA game.

Now if I got some complementary tickets xbdayx to a UD game (already have them for the UMass game) I would make the drive-up...

X-Factor
October 6th, 2005, 08:43 PM
NDSU's former head coach (winningest coach in school history) Rocky Hager, now head coach at Northeastern will be bringing his team to visit the Fargodome next fall!!

Should be an awesome game. Definate sellout.

89Hen
October 6th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Now if I got some complementary tickets to a UD game (already have them for the UMass game) I would make the drive-up...
That may be arranged.

ngineer
October 6th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Since it's been established that we're talking about schools that have *never* met, Lehigh and the Citadel did play a home-and-home in 1968 and 1969, so that's out.

That would mean I'd like to see Lehigh play: 1) Georgia Southern 2) McNeese, 3) why not Southern? If it's a home-and-home it would be costly for Lehigh, but since Lehigh has a growing base of players coming from Louisiana and Georgia, it would be cool for them to be able to play in front of friends and family down there.

There was talk a few years ago of Lehigh trying to arrange a trip down to play Florida A&M, but couldnt be worked out. Lehigh has a significant alumni presence in Florida and the school does try and schedule games in regions where there are "pockets" of alumni (hence the recent Liberty game, and renewal of VMI). Would love to see us play Georgia Southern--we do have some players now from the Peach State.

bluehenbillk
October 7th, 2005, 06:51 AM
I'd like to see UD play at Coastal Carolina (only 1st game of the year).

Others maybe: Montana, SIU (just to knock another one of their QB's loopy), Penn State.

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Don't know about that. Delaware seemed about as far fetched given our propensity to play only at home, but we've got a home and home with the Dins coming up that I'm looking forward to.

I am excited and shocked about the UD games as well and would have put them on the list of games I would like to see (except we have played once). You remember don't you :D

Right now though with UD and Colgate plus the I-A's we have lined up in the near future, I would suspect our other ooc's will be closer to home. Wonder if Presbyterian is has anything scheduled for 2008 :D

89Hen
October 7th, 2005, 07:59 AM
(except we have played once). You remember don't you :D
:nod: :( :( :(

Am looking forward to the home and home. Which year is at which home? I need to start laying the groundwork for Mrs 89 to let me come down without the family.

Engineer91
October 7th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Kind of a random list

YSU - great program and not that far away

Rice - for some some unknown reason

Moravian - If you fall over on Lehigh campus and start rolling and build up enough speed you are on Moravian's campus ... I was very surprised that Lehigh never played Moravian other than in JV/Freshman games. I wouldn't recommend this game now ... just seems like a game that should have been played at some point.

Down with the Foe!
October 7th, 2005, 08:10 AM
The Griz I would hope would someday play:

A)The Hens - a Home and Home Season Opener.

B) Coastal or W. Carolina (I'm a Tar Heel hoops fan, kinda like Mecca to me, and a required trip if I ever went our there to watch my Griz)

C) Carbondale (SIU)

Others:

-Any Ivy Leauge contender
-WKU
-Mac-Tailgate/BBQ-U

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2005, 10:05 PM
The Griz I would hope would someday play:

A)The Hens - a Home and Home Season Opener.

B) Coastal or W. Carolina (I'm a Tar Heel hoops fan, kinda like Mecca to me, and a required trip if I ever went our there to watch my Griz)

C) Carbondale (SIU)

Others:

-Any Ivy Leauge contender
-WKU
-Mac-Tailgate/BBQ-U

Give the folks in Carbondale a call. We'd love to have you come on down for a friendly game. As bad as the weather gets here, it is probably better than in Montana.
:D

MR. CHICKEN
October 7th, 2005, 10:10 PM
AH WANNA SEE ALL DUH I-AA...TEAMS FROM ALL OVERAH DUH LAND.....COME TA NEWARK!.................'CEPT MAYBEAH.......SAC.STATE!......:D.......BRAWK!

Hansel
October 7th, 2005, 10:21 PM
AH WANNA SEE ALL DUH I-AA...TEAMS FROM ALL OVERAH DUH LAND.....COME TA NEWARK!.................'CEPT MAYBEAH.......SAC.STATE!......:D.......BRAWK!
Rumor is Delaware is playing SDSU (http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=sdsufb;action=display;num=1128718001 ), when is the last time Delaware played a team outside of the East Coast in the regular season???

Henny
October 7th, 2005, 10:53 PM
would love to see the Hens play Penn St. in front of 100k +
Depending on the year (not this one) we could give them a decent game.

App St. (cant belive we have never played)

T-Chat ( at least we could pretend we were in the champ. game again) :)

Tod
October 7th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I'd love to see the Griz play Harvard in a home-and-home. Also, Grambling, home-and-home. :) :nod:

RadMann
October 8th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Hansel, UD does not often play programs off the eastern seaboard during the regular season. The most recent was a series with Youngstown State (which isn't exactly in the west) in the 90's. Before that, the only series or games I can find were the following (year shown is the last year played if it was a series):

Marshall - 1960
Ohio U - 1961
McNeese - 1974
Akron - 1974
EKU - 70's
North Datoka - 1976
Middle Tennessee - 1978
WKU - 1982

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2005, 07:02 AM
would love to see the Hens play Penn St. in front of 100k +
Depending on the year (not this one) we could give them a decent game.

That's why JoePa wouldn't do it. He doesn't like to play decent OOC teams. If it ever did happen, I guarantee he'd make UD sound like Southern Cal. ;)

Sam Adams
October 8th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Penn State plays better teams than UD in its OOC. Cincy, CMU, USF. Last year they had Akron, BC and UCF. They have 1 game in Florida for recruiting 1 game with a MAC school and a BE game. Revenue gushes into PSU, they don't have an attendance problem. Why on earth would they want to schedule UD or any A10 team that could give them a few problems? Makes no sense from a financial or football perspective.

RadMann
October 8th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Penn State does not necessarily play "better" teams than UD on any given year OOC it is just that they rarely (if ever) play I-AA programs. That is the distinction. I'm not sure when the last time PSU played a I-AA but I don't recall anything recent.

89Hen
October 8th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Rumor is Delaware is playing SDSU
Haven't heard anything like that. We've got an awful lot of games already in the line-up and I'd be shocked, to say the least, if this were true, unless it's a one time home game for us.

89Hen
October 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure when the last time PSU played a I-AA but I don't recall anything recent.
The entire PSU vs. I-AA line-up...
1984 Penn State 56 - William & Mary 18
1983 Penn State 38 - Brown 21

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Haven't heard anything like that. We've got an awful lot of games already in the line-up and I'd be shocked, to say the least, if this were true, unless it's a one time home game for us.
Agreed, definetly outside of Delaware's normal pattern (i'm wondering if the radio guy didn't say Del St but that doesn't make sense either), SDSU has taken one time "money games" at Mont St and Southern though, so a 1 game deal at Delaware is not out of the question.

89Hen
October 8th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Agreed, definetly outside of Delaware's normal pattern (i'm wondering if the radio guy didn't say Del St but that doesn't make sense either), SDSU has taken one time "money games" at Mont St and Southern though, so a 1 game deal at Delaware is not out of the question.
The surprise for me would be a fan at SDSU knowing before a UD fan. Some of our fans know when KC and our AD go to the bathroom.

lugo02
October 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Lehigh and Moravian because they are only 15 minutes away (Walking)

Toppermaniac
October 8th, 2005, 10:43 PM
I would like to see:

Montana vs. UMass or Western Kentucky

My top pick for WKU would be a home and road game (maybe a contract for more than two years) with Montana.