PDA

View Full Version : NEC To 40 Scholarships

Ruler
April 23rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
They are voting in June I believe to possibly raise the scholarship level in the NEC. This to me speaks volumes about expansion and AQ's The committe probably said you will need to be on the same footinfg as PL teams so you need to raise the schollies to 40.

In Albany's case I dont think that helps their cause . They are looking to go to 63 and a new conferernce should it become available. But 40 will do nicely for now.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=682957&category=SPORTS&newsdate=4/23/2008

Dane96
April 23rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
For a State school like Albany, 40 rides is a nice start considering 3 years ago we had none. However, I agree, we want (and have the $$) to go to 63. I like the gradual move though.

With in-state kids and others on EOP, I would have to think if the vote passes, UA will have in the range of 50-55 kids on some sort of scholarship if they go to 40 in the NEC. Take 10 in-state'rs and tell Mom and Dad, we will give you half-a-ride and either, A) you finanically need to come up with 24-30k over 4 years for room and board; or B)loans will cover the rest; or C) grants will cover the rest. That would be 20 kids on 10 rides.

Not bad!

NOW GET FORD A ****ING STADIUM, INTERIM PRESIDENT PHILIP!

Ruler
April 23rd, 2008, 08:54 AM
If what you say is true and it sounds right.... that puts us on equal footing with almost all FCS teams.

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Keep the gradual move up...

The NEC needs to make a plan to get to 63. Each year raise the allotment by another five or so until they get there. Once we get closer, we can throw an AQ at the NEC...

Dane96
April 23rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Or you can do it this Thursday ;)

Remember, the PL is not fully funded (overall).

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Or you can do it this Thursday ;)

Prefer not to unless certain standards are met by the NEC. They have failed to meet the standards that they are suggesting for a 'preferred slot' or whatever. That standard needs to be the standard until the NEC can prove themselves worthy of an AQ...

Dane96
April 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Ummm...again, the PL is not fully funded...there are no standards for them.

Move along, this is a thread about scholarships...not your propoganda.

danefan
April 23rd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Prefer not to unless certain standards are met by the NEC. They have failed to meet the standards that they are suggesting for a 'preferred slot' or whatever. That standard needs to be the standard until the NEC can prove themselves worthy of an AQ...

If that's the standard fine. But then you have to take away both the MEAC and the PL's auto-bid too. They didn't meet that standard last year either.

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
If that's the standard fine. But then you have to take away both the MEAC and the PL's auto-bid too. They didn't meet that standard last year either.

They meet the standards on a constant basis. The NEC has not and by increasing scholarships, the likelihood that the NEC is able to achieve the marks is more and more...

NEC has been taking the right steps...a) increasing scholarships and b) improving OOC schedules. What's the next step?

danefan
April 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
They meet the standards on a constant basis. The NEC has not and by increasing scholarships, the likelihood that the NEC is able to achieve the marks is more and more...

NEC has been taking the right steps...a) increasing scholarships and b) improving OOC schedules. What's the next step?

Are we referring to the same standards here? I thought you were talking about the following:

Win at least 8 DI games, including 2 games against other auto-bid leauges and be ranked in the top 16.

Neither Delaware State nor Fordham accomplished that last year.

Go...gate
April 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
They are voting in June I believe to possibly raise the scholarship level in the NEC. This to me speaks volumes about expansion and AQ's The committe probably said you will need to be on the same footinfg as PL teams so you need to raise the schollies to 40.

In Albany's case I dont think that helps their cause . They are looking to go to 63 and a new conferernce should it become available. But 40 will do nicely for now.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=682957&category=SPORTS&newsdate=4/23/2008

I thought our equivaliencies were on par with about 50 scholarships, but who knows? xconfusedx

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Are we referring to the same standards here? I thought you were talking about the following:

Win at least 8 DI games, including 2 games against other auto-bid leauges and be ranked in the top 16.

We are talking about the standards. And yes, the two schools mentioned did not accomplish that, but the MEAC and PL do accomplish those standards on a consistent basis and both conferences have had success in the postseason in the past...

DetroitFlyer
April 23rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
We are talking about the standards. And yes, the two schools mentioned did not accomplish that, but the MEAC and PL do accomplish those standards on a consistent basis and both conferences have had success in the postseason in the past...

Duh, it is pretty hard to have success in the post season if you are NEVER invited.... USD and Dayton have had success in the post season by winning the Gridiron Classic. More than the MEAC or OVC have done lately....

danefan
April 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM

PL has only met that criteria once since the 2002 season (where IAA.org's stats stop). The one time was Colgate's 2003 run. Fordham didn't meet the criteria in 2002, yet still won a playoff game.

The MEAC has not met the standard once since the 2002 season.
None of the MEAC champions have had two wins against other auto-bid conferences.

Dane96
April 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM

What success, recent success, has the MEAC had in the postseason?

Go...gate
April 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM

Where are these "standards" set forth?

Dane96
April 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
See the NEC thread.

danefan
April 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Where are these "standards" set forth?

Just for clarification, the standards I am referring to are not going to be applied to any conference but the NEC for years 2008 and 2009.

I'm just pointing out that the standards are clearly biased against the NEC as there are other conferences with AQ's whose champions wouldn't meet the standards but yet will still get an AQ.

USDFAN_55
April 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
Just for clarification, the standards I am referring to are not going to be applied to any conference but the NEC for years 2008 and 2009.

I'm just pointing out that the standards are clearly biased against the NEC as there are other conferences with AQ's whose champions wouldn't meet the standards but yet will still get an AQ.

I don't think Montana even met that criteria last year. They did not have 2 OOC wins against teams from an AQ conference.

Ruler
April 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
USD 55 you are correct. They beat Albany (NEC Champion) and Montana State. Trust me they had a very good team. They were better then I thought.

USDFAN_55
April 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
USD 55 you are correct. They beat Albany (NEC Champion) and Montana State. Trust me they had a very good team. They were better then I thought.

Actually come to think of it, they had 0 winds against teams from other AQ conferences.xnodx Maybe they should just apply these standards accross the board. That would only be fair. Plus it would save us from haring the moaning and groaning about how weak montana's OOC schedule is.