PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls cancels the rest of spring

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=91541

This begs the question "why do we have spring ball"?

Seems like players are sitting out of it because they were already injured before it, because they got injured during it or because the coaches don't want them to get injured during it.

Perhaps spring ball should be renamed to "spring injury time"?

If the NCAA got rid of spring ball for everyone, then everyone would be on a level playing field.

I'm of the opinion that spring ball hurts more than it helps.

McNeese_beat
April 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
With 63 scholarships, a lot of teams get awfully close to this situation a lot of times.

Or you end up with guys walking on and playing quality snaps in the spring game who have no realistic chance at being with the 90 once August rolls around.

813Jag
April 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
at least Nicholls has field turf. xthumbsupx

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
You have spring football so coaches can determine who the starters for the next season are. Summer is for preparing for the season.

Cobblestone
April 23rd, 2008, 07:19 AM
You have spring football so coaches can determine who the starters for the next season are. Summer is for preparing for the season.

DITTO!

Can't believe the original question. xeekx xwhistlex

813Jag
April 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
DITTO!

Can't believe the original question. xeekx xwhistlex
You have to realize who posted the original question. xlolx

CSUBUCDAD
April 23rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Believe it or not, most teams with a high instance of players being injured can be directly traced to the conditioning program. Well conditioned teams will have fewer injuries than teams with poorly organized conditioning programs. That does not mean they do not have the standard injuries you see alot in football, just that the tendency for there to be a mess of sprains and pulls is much less.

813Jag
April 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Believe it or not, most teams with a high instance of players being injured can be directly traced to the conditioning program. Well conditioned teams will have fewer injuries than teams with poorly organized conditioning programs. That does not mean they do not have the standard injuries you see alot in football, just that the tendency for there to be a mess of sprains and pulls is much less.
That is true in 2006 Southern had a rash of injuries, last year they focused on being better conditioned and the injuries decreased. They played the whole season with 7 Offensive linemen.

Franks Tanks
April 23rd, 2008, 08:20 AM
Srping Ball is especially critical with a young team or when a new coaching staff is in place. A seasoned team really uses Spring Ball as a tune up and to start the competition of whatever few positions will be available. But totally suspending it is dumb, if coaches decide it is not in their best interest to continue it they are free to stop

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Sure, sure, I hear you on the argument that it helps to get the young guys in tune with the program.

But if it was a NCAA wide ban, then everyone would be on a level playing field. Everyone would be just starting out in fall camp.

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Another great thread by MplsBison... :) No surprise here.

MplsBison, have you bashed every school that has canceled their spring game? Or did not meet the format that you desired due to injuries or lack of depth on certain positions (particularly the O-Line and D-Line)?

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
It's just MPLS being MPLS! xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
April 23rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Another great thread by MplsBison... :) No surprise here.

MplsBison, have you bashed every school that has canceled their spring game? Or did not meet the format that you desired due to injuries or lack of depth on certain positions (particularly the O-Line and D-Line)?

*right click* *save* xlolx

Syntax Error
April 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Spring Ball decisions; how hard to practice, when to hold it (early or later), whether to have full scrimmages or a game, who to rest/work, etc. is all part of the college game.

aust42
April 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Canceled spring practice? Weak! Quitters! Just weak.

Retro
April 23rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Injurys can happen anytime and off the field as well.. It's a lot easier to heal over the summer than it is in a few weeks before the season in august.. Plus spring ball is great chance to see which players are staying in shape and who needs to step it up!

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Injurys can happen anytime and off the field as well.. It's a lot easier to heal over the summer than it is in a few weeks before the season in august.. Plus spring ball is great chance to see which players are staying in shape and who needs to step it up!

Yeah but it's not like you're making a choice between having a spring camp or having a fall camp.

You're always going to have a fall camp no matter what.

Spring camp is optional.

Cobblestone
April 23rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
It wasn't all that long ago that the Ivy League once thought that way about Spring practice. Then they realized that the quality of their teams might improve and would be better prepared if they had spring football. Needless to say they finally made the right decision.

McNeese72
April 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Spring camp is optional.

And we opt to keep it.

Doc

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Spring camp is optional.

So is lifting weights. I've seen some bad injuries come outta the weight room. Let's cancel that too. Actually players get hurt at practice too. I think the NCAA should ban all preparation and practicing and just play the games.

stevdock
April 23rd, 2008, 11:33 AM
MplsBison, first can you just take Bison off of your name, because most days I wonder about you.

Second we almost had to cancel our spring game also because of the weather. Since we got so much spring snow that we had nowhere to practice since the field was so wet. We almost were unable to have the minimum practices that the coaches wanted before having the spring game. Luckily for us, the snow stopped, the field dryed up, and the game will be on Saturday.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
It wasn't all that long ago that the Ivy League once thought that way about Spring practice. Then they realized that the quality of their teams might improve and would be better prepared if they had spring football. Needless to say they finally made the right decision.

Canceling spring practice makes no sense if every other conference is going to do it.

So as I said, it would have to be a division wide ban to make sure no one was practicing when they weren't supposed to.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
So is lifting weights. I've seen some bad injuries come outta the weight room. Let's cancel that too. Actually players get hurt at practice too. I think the NCAA should ban all preparation and practicing and just play the games.

Very few injuries come from lifting weights compared to the amount from spring ball.

You can't cancel fall practice and I haven't suggested doing that.

Lets try to focus on what I've advocated and not throw in irrelevant topics.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Very few injuries come from lifting weights compared to the amount from spring ball.

My point being this whole topic is irrelevant. xlolx

Franks Tanks
April 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM

MPLSBison and Ivy league presidents actually agree on a topic (hate spring practice) this is amazing. If the school in question had field turf wouldnt that of course eliminate all injuries however.

Cobblestone
April 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Canceling spring practice makes no sense if every other conference is going to do it.

So as I said, it would have to be a division wide ban to make sure no one was practicing when they weren't supposed to.

... and come fall the quality of the games throughout FCS would suck. Sorry dude but we have enough trouble at our level attracting fans away from FBS programs we don't need more.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
MPLSBison and Ivy league presidents actually agree on a topic (hate spring practice) this is amazing. If the school in question had field turf wouldnt that of course eliminate all injuries however.
Division I caliber athletes deserve it!

813Jag
April 23rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
New Mandate: In Order to remain D-I All Schools must have field turf and no Spring practice. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2008, 12:19 PM

I can see it now: MplsBison standing up against freshmen playing football and against redshirting! Then he and the Ivy presidents would be peas in a pod. xlolx

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
I can see it now: MplsBison standing up against freshmen playing football and against redshirting! Then he and the Ivy presidents would be peas in a pod. xlolx

MPLS is against redshirting, he wants everyone to have 5 years of elligablity. Think the IL would go for that?

CSUBUCDAD
April 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Chuck South is finishing its first offseason with a full time strength and conditioning coach and I could see a marked difference in the level of physical play this spring as opposed to last spring. It makes a big difference to the programs that have full time conditioning coaches and I think the boys in the Big South are going to see that when they line up against the Bucs this season.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
... and come fall the quality of the games throughout FCS would suck.

Horse*****.

Spring ball has nothing to do with how well the team does in the fall.

Often times with so many starters being out in spring and JC transfers coming in during the summer the team in the fall is completely different from the team in the spring.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
When the did the idea of spring practice first start anyway? What were they thinking?

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
When the did the idea of spring practice first start anyway? What were they thinking?

Hey lets get started early and find out who the starters are so we go into summer camp running plays and preparing for the first game? Don't know when it started. You don't want spring football? Go back to D.II and III.

Franks Tanks
April 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Hey lets get started early and find out who the starters are so we go into summer camp running plays and preparing for the first game? Don't know when it started. You don't want spring football? Go back to D.II and III.

It is also the absolute best time for young players to develop. During the fall the coaches are too focused working with the starters and installing the game plan each week. The spring is a time for the young players to learn fundamentals and absorb the plays as they were likley running with the scout team all Fall. No spring practive would severly impede the developmentg of young players thus making the quality of play suffer. Frankly Bison is right that most veretans or startes only benefits somehwat from Spring, but that not who is helped the most.

Spring Ball is also absolutely critical for a new coaching staff who needs as much time as possible to evaluate their players and intsall the new schemes.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
It is also the absolute best time for young players to develop. During the fall the coaches are too focused working with the starters and installing the game plan each week. The spring is a time for the young players to learn fundamentals and absorb the plays as they were likley running with the scout team all Fall. No spring practive would severly impede the developmentg of young players thus making the quality of play suffer. Frankly Bison is right that most veretans or startes only benefits somehwat from Spring, but that not who is helped the most.

Spring Ball is also absolutely critical for a new coaching staff who needs as much time as possible to evaluate their players and intsall the new schemes.

DAMN IT! You broke the united front! He's going to divide and conquer us!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

While it may be true the returning starters don't benefit from Spring ball as much as the younger one, still every rep you get can only make you better. I hated 1on1 Pass Pro, but it made me a better pass blocker. Even that spring before my senior year.

Franks Tanks
April 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
DAMN IT! You broke the united front! He's going to divide and conquer us!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

While it may be true the returning starters don't benefit from Spring ball as much as the younger one, still every rep you get can only make you better. I hated 1on1 Pass Pro, but it made me a better pass blocker. Even that spring before my senior year.

I couldnt help it!! I agree it benefits everyone as well and the 1 on 1 Pass pro was absolutely terrible-- how humiliating it was to get beat with everyone watching. Only the inside run drill was less liked by me.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM

Like I've already said, I understand that young players benefit during spring.

But again, as long as everyone is forced to give up spring, whatever little benefit there was during spring will be lost by everyone.

So there won't be an advantage.

Franks Tanks
April 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM

But again, as long as everyone is forced to give up spring, whatever little benefit there was during spring will be lost by everyone.

Whats wrong gaining an advantage. Thats why you practice and lift weight and watch film--to gain an advantage. Maybe the players should just show up on gameday and have at it.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
I couldnt help it!! I agree it benefits everyone as well and the 1 on 1 Pass pro was absolutely terrible-- how humiliating it was to get beat with everyone watching. Only the inside run drill was less liked by me.

That's because you were on the wrong side of the double team. :D

Franks Tanks
April 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
That's because you were on the wrong side of the double team. :D

I was an O-lineman as well!! Played mostly guard and a little center and tackle as well. The coaches always wanted me to play center but I could never get that whole snapping the ball thing down, so I was more comfortable and probably better at guard. I was a decent d-lineman in HS but college coaches usually laughed when the prospect of me playeing D-line is college came up.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I was an O-lineman as well!! Played mostly guard and a little center and tackle as well. The coaches always wanted me to play center but I could never get that whole snapping the ball thing down, so I was more comfortable and probably better at guard. I was a decent d-lineman in HS but college coaches usually laughed when the prospect of me playeing D-line is college came up.

I thought you said you played DT/DE at Lafayette??? My fault. :o We have a full All-AGS O-line now.

I got bumped down to center half way though my senior year. I could snap with either hand. Jealous? xlolx xlolx

Franks Tanks
April 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
I thought you said you played DT/DE at Lafayette??? My fault. :o We have a full All-AGS O-line now.

I got bumped down to center half way though my senior year. I could snap with either hand. Jealous? xlolx xlolx

Not really, centers take even more of a beating than guards. There is just so much happening in the center of the line its like a hurricane. Just when you througt you were ok some A-hole LB comes smashing into you xoopsx

already123
April 23rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Why doesnt football have actual scrimmages (between other schools) for the 'spring season' ? (like soccer, volleyball, etc.)

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Whats wrong gaining an advantage. Thats why you practice and lift weight and watch film--to gain an advantage. Maybe the players should just show up on gameday and have at it.

I meant one team gaining an advantage over another team because one team had spring practice and one team did not.

I am not advocating that all practices be banned, therefore any comments made toward that point are a strawman argument.

Please attempt to stay only to what I am advocating: ending spring practice only.

Bison101
April 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
I meant one team gaining an advantage over another team because one team had spring practice and one team did not.

I am not advocating that all practices be banned, therefore any comments made toward that point are a strawman argument.

Please attempt to stay only to what I am advocating: ending spring practice only.

Hopefully you aren't Craig Bohl. xlolx

Franks Tanks
April 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM

I understand what your saying but that is like saying why dont we ban organized weight training sessions. You said D-I is a business right so think of Spring Ball as another way to make money by having a spring game and charging admission, and also putting a better product on the field

Marcus Garvey
April 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
I saw the thread title and thought to myself, "Only Punxatawney Phil can cancel spring!"

Cobblestone
April 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Horse*****.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

time to give up on this guy.

xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

Cobblestone
April 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM

Thank You. The voice of reason. xthumbsupx

Col Hogan
April 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM

(In my best AI imitation)...

Practice.....we're talking practice.....practice....we're not talking about a game....we're talking practice.....

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
I understand what your saying but that is like saying why dont we ban organized weight training sessions.

I am not advocating that we ban weight training.

I am only advocating that we ban spring practice.

Stop making strawman arguments.

bench
April 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=91541

This begs the question "why do we have spring ball"?

Seems like players are sitting out of it because they were already injured before it, because they got injured during it or because the coaches don't want them to get injured during it.

Perhaps spring ball should be renamed to "spring injury time"?

If the NCAA got rid of spring ball for everyone, then everyone would be on a level playing field.

I'm of the opinion that spring ball hurts more than it helps.

Sure, sure, I hear you on the argument that it helps to get the young guys in tune with the program.

But if it was a NCAA wide ban, then everyone would be on a level playing field. Everyone would be just starting out in fall camp.

Yeah but it's not like you're making a choice between having a spring camp or having a fall camp.

You're always going to have a fall camp no matter what.

Spring camp is optional.

Horse*****.

Often times with so many starters being out in spring and JC transfers coming in during the summer the team in the fall is completely different from the team in the spring.

Mr. Mpls, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

McNeese75
April 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
New Mandate: In Order to remain D-I All Schools must have field turf and no Spring practice. xlolx

xlolx awww you beat me to it. That is EXACTLY what I was thinking :D

blackfordpu
April 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM

This is the most ridiculous thing anyone has ever said on this board. Ban spring practice, really? Have you ever played an organized team sport that kept score and advocated winning?

Spring practice is for waking the guys up and getting them ready for the summer and fall camps. It is hard to get going full speed in the summer without some kind of warm-up. Also, it is the best way to evaluate the guys and start to set a depth chart.

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
MplsBison also requests the following...

1) No 'free play' for basketball
2) No fall ball for baseball
3) No spring season for volleyball and soccer
4) No summer practice for rifle teams
5) Rowing squads must practice in the winter only
6) No sport can have access to the weight room outside of their bye week -- if no bye week exists, no access what so ever should be allowed.

Franks Tanks
April 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM

Well you havent given a good reason why Spring Practice should be banned so I am making an equally off base assertion with no backing. No more off season weight lifting allowed.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM

6) No sport can have access to the weight room outside of their bye week -- if no bye week exists, no access what so ever should be allowed.

For the record I have requested none of these and TexasTerror is lying.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Well you havent given a good reason why Spring Practice should be banned

It causes unneeded injuries and it is not necessary.

Fall practice is necessary and weight lifting is necessary. No more strawmen.

Col Hogan
April 24th, 2008, 04:48 AM

For the record I have requested all of these.

Fixed it......

Oh, and here's your straw man...

http://100veces.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/strawman.jpg

andy7171
April 24th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Fixed it......

Oh, and here's your straw man...

http://100veces.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/strawman.jpg

Now Col Hogan is lying.
wwweeeeeeee wwweeeeeeee wwweeeeeeee!!!!!!xbawlingx

I'm not so sure mpls isn't a little girl.

The NFL has mini camps, want to cancel them?

813Jag
April 24th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Now Col Hogan is lying.
wwweeeeeeee wwweeeeeeee wwweeeeeeee!!!!!!xbawlingx

I'm not so sure mpls isn't a little girl.

The NFL has mini camps, want to cancel them?
No football activities until August and you must wear Nike or Under Armour practice uniforms. Also no mud on your practice field. xlolx

BisonBabe
April 24th, 2008, 12:25 PM
<<BisonBabe peeks her head in and shakes here head>> <<thinks to herself "As you all know he does not represent the majority of NDSU fans">>

xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

813Jag
April 24th, 2008, 12:33 PM
<<BisonBabe peeks her head in and shakes here head>> <<thinks to herself "As you all know he does not represent the majority of NDSU fans">>

xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx
Don't feel bad we all have at least one in our fan base. Although most to post here or post as much as Mpls.

Bison101
April 24th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I saw the thread title and thought to myself, "Only Punxatawney Phil can cancel spring!"

To correct you, Punxatawney Phil can only POSTPONE spring. He cannot cancel it. :D

Marcus Garvey
April 24th, 2008, 06:01 PM
To correct you, Punxatawney Phil can only POSTPONE spring. He cannot cancel it. :D

Hey, to be fair, nobody actually knows the limits of his powers. Let's not mess with the marmot man!

Syntax Error
April 24th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Consider the marketing effect of holding Spring football.

stevdock
April 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Hey some years up here, it sure feels like he can cancel it. This year was pretty close to that, especially if we do get snow tonight like they were talking last night.