PDA

View Full Version : What I don't understand about YSU.....

Chi Panther
October 6th, 2005, 12:25 AM
I have always had and always will......tons of respect for YSU. They have what UNI doesn't.....

BUT....does anyone else on here think its rather silly this sudden optimism/cockyness????

I HONESTLY don't understand all the excitement over a 4-1 start (beating essentially no-one).....especially from a tradition rich program that has won 4 national championships.

Somebody somewhere in the YSU camp has to be thinking one step at a time.

It won't happen but I'd kinda like to see a 4-4 start at this point instead of a 7-1 start..... :D

ysubigred
October 6th, 2005, 07:04 AM
:confused: The optimism and cockyness is just from a few posters on the boards. The most cocky of the few proud YSU fans (Palidins) is the one who said; "YSU was in the ****ter and never would get out until the head coach is fired". The general population I know won't believe until there is an :asswhip: in UNI, Carbondale then at home against WKU. After having 4-7 and 5-7 the last two seasons 4-1 feels really good to us fan's righ about now. Let's not forget just a few short years ago YSU was the team of the 90's and we were spoiled rotten with St. Tressel as our coach. As a general rule YSU fans are very humble and the team quietly and graciously wins, shakes hands and move onto the next game.

Paladin1aa
October 6th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Red is correct. I originally predicted 6-5 for this season in the summer, but also warned everyone that '06 was going to be the Year of the Penguin.Too young this year. And based on three failed recruiting years early, I think the HC should go.

But , TB Marcus Mason , former Ill. starter transfered one week before the season started . Starter
TE Brian Radakovich ( 6'7,250) left the BB team & joined FB. Starter.
All-American Juco CB Cordera Jackson came in. Starter
Vandy transfer DT Jacobs. Starter
Juco SS Scales. Starter
Juco DT Taumalolo & Prep school DT Savage-- rotating & very good.
E. Mich. I-A transfer DB Griffin contributing.
New Juco DT Phelan contributing.
Mich. St. transfer LB Smith-Davis (injured) contributing
Kentucky transfer TB Gibson healthy and playing again.

Large number of returners to starting positions from last year where 4 games were lost by a TD or less. Its no secret that YSU will be loaded in '06 and a monster . But they are arriving a year early.

Don't worry about me. Just an old retired Head Football Coach who doesn't know sic 'em. Just beat the Penguins this year-----------------------------

while you still can. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Eaglegus2
October 6th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Realistically, it is good to see YSU turn their program around from the last two seasons. The wins give their fans hope and gives the Team optimism for future games.

colgate13
October 6th, 2005, 09:55 AM
YSU=New 'Transfer U'?

Paladin1aa
October 6th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Maybe. Forgot to mention Ohio St. transfer TE Lou Irizarry and Mich.St WR transfer Miles Williams. But they are sitting this season out.

Next year :p :p :p

Killtoppers90
October 6th, 2005, 10:19 AM
So this....

If thats the case, YSU will beat several of the big boys and be play-off bound.

And if we get in this year, we'll do serious damage in the play-offs.

Next year --- LIGHTS OUT!! Wild one in the GFC this year-- :nod: :nod:

..wasn't you then Paladin? Un-huh! One vote for arrogance please!

Paladin1aa
October 6th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Come on ,Kill. I'm just a little ,old country boy trying to get along in the Big City. Don't understand these new -fangled contraptions. Just telling y'all what I see & why. Us poor folk in Youngstown have seen Championship teams FOUR TIMES.And two others were the runners-up.

Looks aren't deceiving . Theres something nasty building in Youngstown. Its coming together slow but sure. Course, you can continue to think we don't know nuthin about playing football here in the Valley.

After all, the "experts" picked YSU for the bottom. Yassir, boss. We still trying to learn to play this game of futball here. Course , it ain't fancy like them Easterners play, or laid back like on the Left Coast or even "cheatin" like down South, but it is foote ball.

Y'all come see us this Nov. :nod: :nod: :nod:

blur2005
October 6th, 2005, 03:04 PM
It's good for I-AA football when traditional powers like YSU are good...so I'm happy about the Penguins return to success. Hopefully, they'll continue to be a player in conference play.

Reed Rothchild
October 6th, 2005, 04:38 PM
It's good for I-AA football when traditional powers like YSU are good...so I'm happy about the Penguins return to success. Hopefully, they'll continue to be a player in conference play.

Its also good for the Gateway for YSU to be competitive. YSU's addition to the Gateway really helped to propel the conference into the elite realm of I-AA conferences. Now that YSU has fallen off a bit, so has the Gateway. But, I think its comiing back. Just need to get our #1 playoff seed to win a playoff game for once.

(ps This statement equally applies to WKU. Except for the fact that they have dominated since their addtion to the conference.)

I-AA Fan
October 6th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Clearly there are reasons for YSU fans to have some excitement, tempered by cautious optimism. As large of a following as YSU has, I don't think there are that many people posting on this board. Almost every "cocky" thread is started, and continued, by the same person. One thing YSU has always had ... knowledgeable and humble (at least when they are not at a game) fans. Certainly not the type of fan-base that is 'cocky'.

YSU fans expect to win & are never satisfied until it happens. That is not cocky, just a winning attitude. At the same time, I said that most YSU fans are "knowledgeable". They know the depth and capabilities of the team. They also know that a weaker beginning schedule will hurt the team come conference & post-season play. However, as young as the team is, thankful for the early schedule and a chance to improve without losses for their efforts. When you are coming off of a 10-1 season, then you want to step up that early competition to be ready for the post-season. However, in 2005, the loss to Pitt actually did more good than harm, as now they know what to expect in conference and post-season play. Better to have that rookie slap in the face against Pitt, than a more costly "slap" vs. ILS. In short, we know the team has to measure themselves against the best, but needs to show progress to get there and win. They did not exactly "out-play" ILS last week ... but they did show a little YSU magic, and there are many I-AA fans that know first-hand what that "magic" is.

Chi: what YSU has always had, that gave them what UNI does not ... is attitude and style. Style is the way YSU plays the game, and fans respond to it. If you expect nothing but wins (and no style) you will be disapointed at least half the time. But if the Penguins play with style (playing their game), win or lose ... everyone will be ready for the next game. Attitude comes from the players and coaches ... knowing that it is not over, until it is over. Also, an attitude of support from the fans. These are not the type of people that would blindly post “my dad is better than yours” on a bbs ... Paladin. Also, even though I recognize why he is doing it, I agree with what you say that it is "cocky". But I hope not a characterization of the entire fan-base. Real Penguin fans know we are coming off of a 4-7 season, and have only accumulated enough wins, so far, to match that. We have enough knowledge to know how much work needs to be done.

Chi Panther
October 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Excellent Post I-AA Fan!

What YSU has that UNI doesn't.....is Championships.....

Maybe I was over reacting to a few of your Penguins.....

I however take it as an insult to the other Gateway teams just assuming YSU will be 7-1.

PMB4Life
October 6th, 2005, 06:35 PM
:confused: since when does the Gateway play 8 conference games?

siugrad99
October 6th, 2005, 07:02 PM
So is YSU back or are they just hear for 2 years while their 20 D 1 transfers and Juco transfers are around ?

PantherMan
October 6th, 2005, 08:00 PM
So is YSU back or are they just hear for 2 years while their 20 D 1 transfers and Juco transfers are around ?

Touche'! This is a good point, you can't [re]build a program on transfers alone. You have got to have a little homegrown talent develop from freshman year. Transfers are nice, but it is important to keep things in perspective.

MR. CHICKEN
October 6th, 2005, 09:42 PM
WHAT AH DON'T UNDERSTAND...'BOUT YSU..........PENGUINS IN OHIO???..........:read:.........BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

NUFFIN' IN DUH ENCYCLOPEDIA.....TALKS...'BOUT DAT!.....:smiley_wi

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2005, 09:45 AM
What many failed to understand about YSU's Golden Years is that they were a blend during the Tressel years of excellent H.S. recruits AND I-A transfers/jucos. Tressel got very good I-A transfers and Jucos, but he also brought in excellent H.S. recruits. MAC I-A transfers mean little. BCS I-A transfers mean alot. Thats what we are getting.

The current regime fumbled both H.S. recruits and I-A transfers/jucos for the first 3 years that came to produce in future years losing records. The last 2 years , H.S. recruits AND I-A transfers /jucos have been pretty good. This year is a bonanza. As the dead wood is graduated or replaced with the new talent, the overall team talent level is going back up. And, accordingly, winning is returning.

The jury is still out, but suffice it to say that the H.S. recruits will provide 3-4 years of better results and most of the transfers will provide 3 years service as well. At this point we are still VERY YOUNG. So alot of winning lies ahead for awhile.

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I can understand your concern...

Youngstown State 4-1
Slippery Rock at Youngstown State Youngstown State 44-14
Northeastern at Youngstown State Youngstown State 35-16
Youngstown State at Liberty Youngstown State 42-0
Youngstown State at Pittsburgh Pittsburgh 41-0
Illinois State at Youngstown State Youngstown State 20-17

Illinois State 3-2
Illinois State at Iowa State Iowa State 32-21
Drake at Illinois State Illinois State 56-19
Illinois State at Eastern Illinois Illinois State 27-6
Murray State at Illinois State Illinois State 42-0
Illinois State at Youngstown State Youngstown State 20-17

Northern Iowa 3-1
Drake at Northern Iowa Northern Iowa 52-17
Minn-Duluth at Northern Iowa Northern Iowa 49-14
Northern Iowa at Iowa Iowa 45-21
Northern Iowa at Western Illinois Northern Iowa 41-24

Southern Illinois 3-1
Southern Illinois at Southeast Missouri State Southern Illinois 58-23
Union (KY) at Southern Illinois Southern Illinois 82-7
Southern Illinois at Western Mich Western Mich 34-28
Missouri State at Southern Illinois Southern Illinois 30-23

Western Kentucky 3-1
WVU Tech at Western Kentucky Western Kentucky 63-3
Eastern Kentucky at Western Kentucky Western Kentucky 23-21
Western Kentucky at Auburn Auburn 37-14
Western Kentucky at Indiana State Western Kentucky 38-28

Looks like everyone's got a I-A loss and YSU, UNI, SIU and WKU have a non-D-I win. :)

Among Gateway teams. only Western Illinois and Indiana State lost an OOC game to anyone other than a D-IA. A lot of leagues would like to say that.
:)

blukeys
October 7th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Among Gateway teams. only Western Illinois and Indiana State lost an OOC game to anyone other than a D-IA. A lot of leagues would like to say that.
:)
Yes but SIU lost to WMU. After watching WMU against Temple (Yes I watched it all the way and it was TEERRIBLE) I was convinced that neither Temple nor WMU should be allowed on the field with a top 20 I-AA team.

A lot of I-AA leagues could fatten their records by scheduling Temple or WMU.