PDA

View Full Version : Which player will be missed more..

ChickenMan
April 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
by their team in '08???

Saint3333
April 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Corey Lynch for ASU, three time All-American, turnover/tackling/block machine.

USDFAN_55
April 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
UNH has had the luxury of Santos for so long, I'm not too sure how they will be with out him.

UNHFan99
April 22nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
UNH will be ok without Ricky, but when Ricky was on the field he brought a sense of leadership that you always thought you could win. He will be missed more than anyone. Good poll.

AppStFan76
April 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM

I had the same thought when I saw the thread. Also will miss Trey Elder

Rob Iola
April 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
No Josh choice?

OL FU
April 22nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Foster - When he didn't touch the ball 3-8, when he did 8-3 and 7-4.xnodx

AshevilleApp2
April 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM

Agreed.

Black Saturday
April 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM

Have to agree.

89Hen
April 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
1. Foster
2. Santos
3. Flacco
4. Sanders

xtwocentsx

KiddBrewer
April 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Foster

gmoney55
April 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
I said Santos because, based on history anyway, GSU is probably going to have an easier time finding a player close to Foster's caliber than UNH will in finding Ricky's successor.

bandl
April 22nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
What's 'INI'? Inner...Northern....Indiana???

blueballs
April 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
I picked Santos only because GSU is evolving their offense to more of a short passing game ala BYU... if they were staying in the spread option type offense then the answer would be Foster no doubt.

Ivytalk
April 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
I said Santos because, based on history anyway, GSU is probably going to have an easier time finding a player close to Foster's caliber than UNH will in finding Ricky's successor.

That's my thought as well.

DLS
April 22nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Foster was like a ninja on the field. if he doesnt go pro then i expect to see him in circus sole'.

AppStFan76
April 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM

I don't think any school would have an easy time finding a player the caliber of Foster. The kid was, ... is incredible.

Just glad he's not playing this year.

WCU LawCat
April 22nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hands down it is Foster.

The bigger question for me with GSU is that they have to replace every single player on the offensive line. One of the replacements will be solid as he returns after missing the whole year last year with injury. They have 4 open spots. They also lost a ton of tailbacks including the top two or three. The top returner is coming off of a major injury. It could be a long year of rebuilding for GSU. The defense will probably be pretty decent.

ChickenMan
April 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
What's 'INI'? Inner...Northern....Indiana???

INI is a typo that couldn't be edited in the 'poll'.. maybe the mods can do it for me?

Ivytalk
April 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
INI is a typo that couldn't be edited in the 'poll'.. maybe the mods can do it for me?

The opposite of an OUTI?:D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
1. Foster
2. Santos
3. Flacco
4. Sanders

xtwocentsx

Originally, I was going to disagree with you because UNH has a quarterback with two years in the program and two games of real experience in line to become the #1 QB while Delaware has a transfer coming in who no matter how talented will probably have growing pains learning the system. But then I backed off because UNH expected more and needed more out of Santos than Delaware did from Flacco (and more than UNI expected from Sanders).

So, after some thought I'm going with the same list. Not being as familiar with Foster and GA Southern, I have to base my thoughts on what I've read on this forum. General consensus has been that Foster has been GA Southern which was backed up by their records the past three years when he played that someone posted. But I can definitely see arguments for either Foster or Santos being the most difficult to replace.

seantaylor
April 22nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hands down it is Foster.

The bigger question for me with GSU is that they have to replace every single player on the offensive line. One of the replacements will be solid as he returns after missing the whole year last year with injury. They have 4 open spots. They also lost a ton of tailbacks including the top two or three. The top returner is coming off of a major injury. It could be a long year of rebuilding for GSU. The defense will probably be pretty decent.

Dio Herrara is back, and he started the first 6 games of the season before getting hurt. Ricory Green is back after a year on the academically ineligible list. He started as a freshman in 2006. Cole Fountain played a ton last year as well.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM

Actually, IMHO UNH has a pretty fair tradition at QB over the years.

Our heir apparent at QB, R.J. Toman, has been with the program two years, one as a redshirt and one as the backup getting some game experience. He came off the bench last season against Delaware when Santos was hurt and finished a drive for a TD as well as leading three subsequent TD drives to lead UNH to victory. He started the next game and led UNH to something like a 42-0 lead in the 2nd quarter against Iona.

He only played (started) one year in HS, kind of buried on the depth chart behind this guy named Sanchez. If you look on that QB rating that somebody posted on another thread, I believe R.J. was in the top 15 in the country. Many felt the only reason he was available for UNH was because he flew under the radar without being a starter his junior year in HS.

USC - Mark Sanchez (http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sanchez_mark00.html)

Most UNH fans thinks we're in pretty good shape at QB this year. Nobody is expecting him to have Ricky Santos numbers, that wouldn't be fair at all. Only time will tell if it works out, but I don't think the cupboard is bare. And I don't think QB even makes my top three list of concerns for the 2008 season.

BEAR
April 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Don't know. Don't care. (Yet I posted on this thread...xrolleyesx :D xlolx )

appstate38
April 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
I voted for Foster, but if any of the four's former teams stuggle in a big way then I think we will have our answer.

GSUjack
April 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
foster... australian for TD.

Eyes of Old Main
April 22nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
What else did GSU have beyond Foster last year?

Mountain Panther
April 23rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
What school is "INI?"

I went with Santos.

yorkcountyUNHfan
April 23rd, 2008, 08:20 AM
1. Foster
2. Santos
3. Flacco
4. Sanders

xtwocentsx

Hands down it is Foster.

I tend to agree with 89, but might (or might not) flip Foster and Santos.

I don't think either one is "hands down" the clear #1

AppAlum2003
April 23rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
What else did GSU have beyond Foster last year?

According to GSU fans, just a boatload of talent ready to take over. Did you hear that Billy Lowe once threw a pass that appeared to be just a "throw-away" out of bounds; but in fact, he was actually stopping a mugging attempt in the 30th row? The would-be thief sustained 5 broken ribs, a concussion and a bruised femur. True story.

AppStFan76
April 23rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
According to GSU fans, just a boatload of talent ready to take over. Did you hear that Billy Lowe once threw a pass that appeared to be just a "throw-away" out of bounds; but in fact, he was actually stopping a mugging attempt in the 30th row? The would-be thief sustained 5 broken ribs, a concussion and a bruised femur. True story.

I think you need to start a "GSU Random Fact Generator"xlolx

SideLine Shooter
April 23rd, 2008, 08:41 AM

I hear the same thing. Also, they say Hatcher recruited heavy in the Fla. and GA. Penal System.xlolx

Homegrown Hillbilly
April 23rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Kevin Richardson is a horse that we have been riding for a long time. He has played a vital role in all of our NC games. Hopefully Devon Moore can fill some big shoes.

Eaglesrus
April 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM

I hear the same thing. Also, they say Hatcher recruited heavy in the Fla. and GA. Penal System.xlolx

Wonder when this thread is going to be moved to the smack board?

AppAlum2003
April 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Kevin Richardson is a horse that we have been riding for a long time. He has played a vital role in all of our NC games. Hopefully Devon Moore can fill some big shoes.

Devon doesn't worry me very much as long as he can hold onto the ball. Few people notice that he coughs it up a little too easy. If he can hold onto it then, no offense to KR, they shouldn't miss a step on the offensive side of the ball.

WrenFGun
April 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
What's lousy about this poll is that the Northerners aren't really privy to see much of Jayson Foster, and I'm not sure the Southerners have seen much of Erik Sanders. I think all four teams will miss these players, but I think it's important to consider their supporting cast when looking at who will be missed most. Despite having never seen Foster, it doesn't look like he had much around him, particularly considering the record, so I like Foster as the best answer here.

It's hard to say on Flacco, because they also lose Cuff. Last season, he wasn't asked to do as much as say, Santos, because of having Cuff and the improved defense.

Erik Sanders was efficient and did not make any mistakes, but UNI still has a boatload of weapons to surround the new QB with, and the new QB (Crane, I believe) looked to have some talent.

As for UNH, Santos was asked to do a ton, so there's a lot to replace. Fortunately for UNH, they do have Chad Kackert ready to blow up at RB, and won of the best TE's in FCS in Scott Sicko. Coupled with a deep and talented group at WR, I'm not sure Toman will have to do as much as Santos, initially. With that said, he's going to have to try if the defense is as bad as it was last season. UNH will go as far as the defense can take them.

I'd be most worried at UD and GSU, though. It seems like Hatcher knows what he's doing, but at UD, having to break in a new QB and a new RB may lead to some early losses.

blueballs
April 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM

I'd say there's at least a 50% chance Lowe won't even be the starter in 2008...

AppAlum2003
April 23rd, 2008, 09:24 AM
Wonder when this thread is going to be moved to the smack board?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Seriously, though, I voted for Foster in the poll. But, that's not a stab at who is left at GSU, it's 100% due to the amazing things that Foster did last year.

The same thing is going to happen after Armanti leaves App St. I don't care who is waiting in the wings, he will be GREATLY missed.

putter
April 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
For Montana...

It's Dan Carpenter, our kicker. He was a big part of the offense and without the services of Lex Hillard pounding the ball the Griz may have a difficult time scoring this year.....xsmhx

Eaglesrus
April 23rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Seriously, though, I voted for Foster in the poll. But, that's not a stab at who is left at GSU, it's 100% due to the amazing things that Foster did last year.

The same thing is going to happen after Armanti leaves App St. I don't care who is waiting in the wings, he will be GREATLY missed.

No problem. I think the majority of GSU fans have pretty high hopes of not falling off too much in that we have confidence in Hatcher, think our defensive should be significantly improved and think we have a good bit of talent on the offensive side that will do well in Hatcher's offense. On the other hand, much of that talent is basically untested and any injuries on the line would be an extremely serious blow. A few vocal GSU fans truly seem to think that we should be back in the playoffs this year, but my sense is that the majority believe that we are in a transition phase, are hopefully that we'll win as many as we did last year and think it will be at least another season before we are ready to make some real noise.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM

What I saw of Billy Lowe last year was impressive, and to think that there are at least two guys as of now that could beat him out for the starting spot, yes, I think we are in good shape as far as QB's go.

Cobblestone
April 23rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
I voted for UNH/Santos. In the CAA (former A-10) QB's that special don't come around too often. He'll be a very tough act to follow.

BEAR
April 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Is this an APP thread?

(Don't worry, I posted this same message in every thread)xlolx xpeacex

Appaholic
April 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
I voted Foster......but believe it will be Corey Lynch for App.......:(

Bison101
April 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Where is NDSU's Steve Walker?

APPALACHIANstate
April 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Corey Lynch

Bison101
April 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Steve Walker.

USDFAN_55
April 23rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Where is NDSU's Steve Walker?

For the PFL: Josh Johnson and Kevin Hoyng will be missed dearlyxnodx as well

Hoyadestroya85
April 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
there's the obligatory josh johnson post..

ericsaid
April 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
I think even though Corey Lynch was an amazing player for App, in a couple of years i dont think they will be mising as much as some of the players on this list. With others players on defense stepping up. Apps d-line wont lose anyone after this coming season and their linebackers will lose one and Db's one. I believe their defense will be better in the 09' season as a whole and better then they ever were with corey lynch.

By far the most exciting player ive ever seen though.

McNeese75
April 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
I think even though Corey Lynch was an amazing player for App, in a couple of years i dont think they will be mising as much as some of the players on this list. With others players on defense stepping up. Apps d-line wont lose anyone after this coming season and their linebackers will lose one and Db's one. I believe their defense will be better in the 09' season as a whole and better then they ever were with corey lynch.

By far the most exciting player ive ever seen though.

xrolleyesx Really? xlolx

USDFAN_55
April 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
there's the obligatory josh johnson post..

Well the poll was kind of limitingxnodx

ericsaid
April 24th, 2008, 04:53 PM
suprised this threads almost dead so soon.

USDFAN_55
April 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
suprised this threads almost dead so soon.

The thread is kind of limiting? How were those 4 players even chosen? How about adding Lynch, Cuff, Johnson, Walker, Hoyng, and I'm sure I'm missing some other standouts. The most logical place to start this list is from the seniors that were on the finalist list for the Payton and the Buchanan award.xnodx Oops, there I go mentioning Johnson again. (please don't beat me up for that)

UMass922
April 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM

I voted Santos for the same reason. GSU, UD, and UNI all have established, long-term success as top-tier FCS programs; they've proven that they can lose great players and still keep winning year after year.

Maybe ten years from now we'll be able to say that the Santos era was the beginning of UNH's ascension to that same level, but for now, we just don't know. The next couple years should be telling.

RadMann
April 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Sorry, not one of the choices. Start you own thread... ;)

ericsaid
April 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM
xrolleyesx Really? xlolx

I have a bet to say you've never seen him play. Very instinctive and is always near the ball. I have been more impressed with him than any other player I have seen.

I believe he may have atleast one pro bowl season in the NFL. Hopefully will be another dexter coakley type.

lizrdgizrd
April 25th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Of those on your list, Foster.

We'll miss Corey Lynch the most, I think. xnodx

Touchdown Yosef
April 25th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I have a bet to say you've never seen him play. Very instinctive and is always near the ball. I have been more impressed with him than any other player I have seen.

I believe he may have atleast one pro bowl season in the NFL. Hopefully will be another dexter coakley type.

There goes Eric again, as soon as someone disagrees with him he acuses them of never having seen Appalachian play.

I would bet that 75 has seen Corey play (we've been on espn once or twice) and I would bet that he has seen at least one play.

ericsaid
April 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM
There goes Eric again, as soon as someone disagrees with him he acuses them of never having seen Appalachian play.

I would bet that 75 has seen Corey play (we've been on espn once or twice) and I would bet that he has seen at least one play.

One play does not qualify. I think Dexter will be missed quite a bit also.

Who will have better a better career in the NFL out of those four players is the question, and for other people who aren't on that list.

McNeese75
April 25th, 2008, 10:24 PM
One play does not qualify. I think Dexter will be missed quite a bit also.

Who will have better a better career in the NFL out of those four players is the question, and for other people who aren't on that list.

Yes, I have seen Lynch play several times. For you to say he is the most exciting player you have ever seen says volumes about the limited exposure you have had all the other great players in the land. xrotatehx

Chi Panther
April 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Now I understand some of these schools have lots of returning talent and that makes a difference is how much a player is missed, but Flacco is projected as the #2 QB in the draft.

I picked Flacco.

ericsaid
April 26th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Yes, I have seen Lynch play several times. For you to say he is the most exciting player you have ever seen says volumes about the limited exposure you have had all the other great players in the land. xrotatehx

No, I watch football all the time. It's just when you really like how someone plays on the field it makes them exciting. You can have your preferences of exciting, and i'll have mine but for me watching corey deliver a big hit is a lot more exciting than seeing someone break a long run or throw a big touchdown.

SideLine Shooter
April 26th, 2008, 01:44 PM
My vote is for Chad Henne. No wait, he's not on the list!xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

ericsaid
April 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Now I understand some of these schools have lots of returning talent and that makes a difference is how much a player is missed, but Flacco is projected as the #2 QB in the draft.

I picked Flacco.

They have a transfer QB from THE Ohio State University(my how I hate hearing that on t.v.), so I don't think they will be missing much.

However I do think Omar Cuff will be missed.

Chi Panther
April 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM
They have a transfer QB from THE Ohio State University(my how I hate hearing that on t.v.), so I don't think they will be missing much.

However I do think Omar Cuff will be missed.

Here's hoping for another 1st round draft pick.....