PDA

View Full Version : Sacred Heart University (NEC) Offers Free Tuition For Some

aceinthehole
April 22nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Associated Press
April 18, 2008

FAIRFIELD — - Sacred Heart University says it will start offering free tuition to students from Fairfield County with family incomes below $50,000.

The program will start next academic year.

University President Anthony J. Cernera says Sacred Heart is strengthening its historic commitment to offer access to a first-rate Catholic education that is accessible and affordable.

The program was formally announced Wednesday night at Sacred Heart's annual scholarship event. The school has about 5,800 students.

Fairfield University recently announced a similar plan to offer free tuition to low-income students who graduate from Bridgeport high schools.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
That's a good thing.

But it's still not a replacement for scholarships.

Franks Tanks
April 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Associated Press
April 18, 2008

FAIRFIELD — - Sacred Heart University says it will start offering free tuition to students from Fairfield County with family incomes below $50,000.

The program will start next academic year.

University President Anthony J. Cernera says Sacred Heart is strengthening its historic commitment to offer access to a first-rate Catholic education that is accessible and affordable.

The program was formally announced Wednesday night at Sacred Heart's annual scholarship event. The school has about 5,800 students.

Fairfield University recently announced a similar plan to offer free tuition to low-income students who graduate from Bridgeport high schools.

It is a nice offering and i'm not trying to be an ass but how many folks living in Fairfiled county make less that 50k. I guess some folks in bridgeport may be able to take advantage but thats probably pretty much it.

Dane96
April 22nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
This wasn't a football thing...this is for the general student population. A kid who gets this type of ride and plays football would be applied to the 30 scholarship limit of the NEC.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 22nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
It is a nice offering and i'm not trying to be an ass but how many folks living in Fairfiled county make less that 50k. I guess some folks in bridgeport may be able to take advantage but thats probably pretty much it.

Having lived in Fairfield County, I can comment on this. Although there are some super-rich areas (Greenwich, Darien, Wilton, Ridgefield) that likely don't have anyone making $50,000 a year, there are a surprising number of counties that are of more modest means. Bridgeport you mentioned, but Stamford, Danbury, areas of Shelton and Stratford are not the stereotypical latte-drinking Connecticut you often hear about. Not sure if Waterbury is included in there (I don't think it is), but that would be included too.

Having said that, what would have made this more ground-breaking is if there was a sliding scale for in-state families making $50,000 to (say) $75,000 where their tuition would be reduced. I agree with you: $50,000 is awful low.

gophoenix
April 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
That's a good thing.

What the hell does that mean. This is about students, not about sports.

andy7171
April 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
That's a good thing.

While this prolly shouldn't be in the FCS discussion forum, you've been argueing this to be employed at the PL school for the last couple months. What gives with this crass responce to a good plan? xconfusedx

Franks Tanks
April 22nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
Having lived in Fairfield County, I can comment on this. Although there are some super-rich areas (Greenwich, Darien, Wilton, Ridgefield) that likely don't have anyone making $50,000 a year, there are a surprising number of counties that are of more modest means. Bridgeport you mentioned, but Stamford, Danbury, areas of Shelton and Stratford are not the stereotypical latte-drinking Connecticut you often hear about. Not sure if Waterbury is included in there (I don't think it is), but that would be included too.

Having said that, what would have made this more ground-breaking is if there was a sliding scale for in-state families making $50,000 to (say) $75,000 where their tuition would be reduced. I agree with you: $50,000 is awful low.

Thanks for the insight. But as you say it does still seem rather low as Conn. does have the 2nd highest medium income in the US

danefan
April 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
any free education is good for kids.

sounds like a step in the right direction. $50,000 limit is likely because Sacred Heart probably doesn't have the endowment large enough to fund anything greater. At least they are doing something.

DetroitFlyer
April 22nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
any free education is good for kids.

sounds like a step in the right direction. $50,000 limit is likely because Sacred Heart probably doesn't have the endowment large enough to fund anything greater. At least they are doing something.

Well said. How can it possibly be a bad thing for any person to receive a free college education? Sacred Heart is not exactly Yale, so my hat if off to them for doing what they can to help a few kids!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
While Fairfield County does contain the greatest wealth within CT, it also does contain many small and medium sized cities with significant poverty, especially Bridgeport. Like LFN said you also have Stratford, Shelton and Stamford with significant lower income. You can add Danbury and Norwalk, but not Waterbury (New Haven County), to the list of cities with very significant lower income populations in Fairfield County.

The wealth along the "Gold Coast" is so significant that you still get a very high average family income despite all these large lower income population areas. And the Sacred Heart campus while technically in Fairfield is right on the border with Bridgeport.

Go...gate
April 22nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Well said. How can it possibly be a bad thing for any person to receive a free college education? Sacred Heart is not exactly Yale, so my hat if off to them for doing what they can to help a few kids!

Amen! When I think of where I would be without a decent education, I shudder. If some more youngsters can get a chance for college, I think it is great.

401ks
April 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
This wasn't a football thing...this is for the general student population. A kid who gets this type of ride and plays football would be applied to the 30 scholarship limit of the NEC.

I agree that this is a terrific thing for the lower-income families in Fairfield County.

I have a curiosity question, Dane96...

Why would this type of scholarship that is open to the general student population and not tied in any way to athletics be applied to the 30 scholarship limit of the NEC?

I've come to understand the equivalencies issue with the need-based grants in the Patriot League that are only available to athletes, but this type of thing seems quite different.

I can see where Sacred Heart could "save" an athletic scholarship by giving one of these non-athletic grants to a player from Fairfield County and calling him a walk-on. That player would be counted as an NCAA equivalency. But does the NEC have a 30 "equivalencies" limit, or a 30 athletic grants-in-aid limit for football?

Thanks!

Dane96
April 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Because, think about all the ways a school like Albany, who clearly wants to go to 45 rides, would be able to circumvent the 30 scholarship limit by giving other types of scholarships.

On a larger scale, think about schools who would go past the 63 limit.

dgreco
April 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
glad a smaller school is stepping up and doing this. Maybe if the trend follows education will become a right of passage instead of just a hope or dream for many

aceinthehole
April 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
I agree!

1) All of Fairfield County is not like Beverly Hills. There are many moderate-to low family incomes in Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport, Danbury, Stratford, and Shelton. $50,000 is not a lot, but there are thosands of families that are under this threshold.

2) If they give away just 1 free education that's a good thing. More access to education is needed, its not just about football. Glad to see SHU following the steps of other highly regarded academic institutions.

3) I think any and all "aid" is counted by the NCAA, regardless of its purpose. So for now SHU is limited to 30 fully equivs for football (which can be split among players).

401ks
April 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Because, think about all the ways a school like Albany, who clearly wants to go to 45 rides, would be able to circumvent the 30 scholarship limit by giving other types of scholarships.

On a larger scale, think about schools who would go past the 63 limit.

Believe me, I can certainly see the opportunities for abuse.

And, as I mentioned, I certainly see that this type of grant would count toward the NCAA athletic equivalencies limit.

However...

Is it an actual NEC (or NCAA) rule or regulation that you could cite for me? The fact that this is totally unconnected to athletics and is open to the general student population is the part that obscures its connection to the 30 scholarship limit for me.

Thanks!

Seawolf97
April 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
This is a great gesture and a great opportunity for any kids that will take advantage of it. KUDOS to SHU !