PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Artificial noise-maker rule, love it or hate it.

SU Jag
April 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM
How do you guys feel about this rule?

kardplayer
April 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Hate it. Takes the fun out.

SU Jag
April 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hate it. Takes the fun out.

I agree. Im glad that the HBCU conferences decided not to let it ruin the gameday atmosphere by taking the bands out of it though. Mississippi State official tend to look the other way with the whole cowbell thing also.

bobbythekidd
April 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I may go against the grain here, but I don't like it. Home field advantage means something. Just ask a Griz fan. It would be Utopian to think that all teams can make enough noise, and know when to do it, when it counts. We don't have this problem, but I can sympathize with those that do.

Cowbells are annoying as hell, but noise is noise, IMHO.

McTailGator
April 20th, 2008, 08:11 PM

Dumb stupid rule...

With the exception of those canned air horns, and ref whistles.

Those should be banned for obvious reasons.

BUT EVERYTHING else should not only be allowed...

They should be encouraged, in order to promote the game and excite the fans.

brownbear
April 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Bands should be able to play whenever they want, but cowbells and airhorns can be really annoying.

Just get more fans to the game and have them SCREAM!!!

BEAR
April 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I like the rule on bands not playing when the other team has possession and is ready to move. But I think it is great to hear the "train" sound roaring through the stadium when our Qb and team are driving down the field. Guess it's a situational decision. Not fair to make it too loud for the other team, but banning it all together during play ruins the motivation it could provide for the offense also. Whistles and horns should be banned. Other noise makers not resembling them should be allowed to be used at anytime. (With restricitions on the band of course) ....and yes, I am very band supportive..but I love fair play even more..xthumbsupx

ButlerGSU
April 20th, 2008, 09:17 PM
The rule is rarely enforced anyway, App State had those thunder sticks the entire game against us this year. You really couldn't tell they were making that much noise because everyone on both sides was screaming their heads off the whole game.

SoCon48
April 20th, 2008, 10:04 PM

Southern Conf has it right. Bands can only play until the team breaks the huddle or the team lines up if a no huddle offense. Same with the PA. Not
adhered to in some of the smaller venues, though..
Artificial noise makers are prohibited, too. If a team's fans can't yell loud enough or enough of them. Tough.xrulesx

SoCon48
April 20th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Bands should be able to play whenever they want, but cowbells and airhorns can be really annoying.

Bands, especially those situated close to the sidelines should shut the hell up when the snap count starts. If fans can't make enough noise with their voices and clapping, they should stay home.xcoffeex

Rob Iola
April 20th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Then shouldn't they also ban domed stadiums? Sadly I've never been to the UNIdome, but apparently it gets insanely loud in there (and much louder than an open air stadium). Of course, that's what home field advantage is all about...

Weems
April 20th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Bands, especially those situated close to the sidelines should shut the hell up when the snap count starts. If fans can't make enough noise with their voices and clapping, they should stay home.xcoffeex

Someone tell TSU that... They even split up after halftime and get on each endzone...

jstate83
April 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM

A joke. xlolx

89Hen
April 21st, 2008, 09:49 AM
The rule is rarely enforced anyway
That's my bigger problem with the "rule". Some enforce it, some don't.

Ivytalk
April 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM

Or, in the case of most Ivy League games, just make any audible sound!xcoffeex :p

Seriously. When I yell loudly at an Ivy game -- and I don't use profanity -- I get a lot of dirty and/or puzzled looks. SMFH.xsmhx

McNeese72
April 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM
That's my bigger problem with the "rule". Some enforce it, some don't.

The only time it is enforced in Cowboy Stadium, especially in regards to Cowbells, is during the playoffs when the NCAA is running the show.

Doc

HIU 93
April 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
It's a stupid rule. I hate it when we host playoff games and the NCAA ALWAYS threaten us with a penalty for the band playing DURING WARMUPS. In the three playoff games we hosted (that I attended), the NCAA did it in every game. What is the point of having playoff games on campus sites if homefield advantage is not allowed?

SU Jag
April 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
It's a stupid rule. I hate it when we host playoff games and the NCAA ALWAYS threaten us with a penalty for the band playing DURING WARMUPS. In the three playoff games we hosted (that I attended), the NCAA did it in every game. What is the point of having playoff games on campus sites if homefield advantage is not allowed?

I agree 100%!xnodx

grizband
April 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
After we played Southern Illinois in the 2006 quarterfinals, I remember their coach thinking we had piped in sound to create more noise in the stadium. Then I heard he might file a complaint with the NCAA (not sure how if this is valid) and I remember wondering how involved the NCAA might become. When I was in the band, too, our director always kept a tight reign on us playing, for fear of getting a penalty from the referees.

ngineer
April 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM
So long as not allowed after team breaks the huddle. I like to hear the bands, adds a lot to the atmosphere. The artificial crap over the PA system is a cheap way to make up for lack of real interest. It's like canned laughter on the old sitcoms.

uofmman1122
April 22nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
After we played Southern Illinois in the 2006 quarterfinals, I remember their coach thinking we had piped in sound to create more noise in the stadium. Then I heard he might file a complaint with the NCAA (not sure how if this is valid) and I remember wondering how involved the NCAA might become. When I was in the band, too, our director always kept a tight reign on us playing, for fear of getting a penalty from the referees.Dr. Griggs is pretty awesome, assuming you played under his direction. I'm not in the band, myself, but I had two room mates who were in the band: one trumpet, and one drumline. I also had the pleasure of standing next to him at this last year's Cat/Griz game. It's also amazing that he's fluent in Japanese.

The rule doesn't really bother me that much. However, when you travel to someone else's place in the playoffs, I don't see why the NCAA should try to make it "neutral." Cow bells, horns and thunder-sticks are one thing, but I'd like the home games to be truly home games, and not just "neutral" games with a home crowd. xtwocentsx

That being said, thunder-sticks are just stupid. xlolx

SoCon48
April 22nd, 2008, 05:16 AM

Because the play-offs are supposed to be neutral not someone's home total game. A few rules are the only way to attempt to netralize it. The only reasons they aren't on neutral sites are:

1. We'd never find enough on that quick notice 2. No one would come 3. NCAA is too darn cheap.

brownbear
April 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Or, in the case of most Ivy League games, just make any audible sound!xcoffeex :p

Seriously. When I yell loudly at an Ivy game -- and I don't use profanity -- I get a lot of dirty and/or puzzled looks. SMFH.xsmhx

That's the problem I have with Ivy League games in football (and basketball too), is that there is really no effort put on trying to create a homefield advantage. All of these stadiums have bands, PA systems, and other means to pump up the crowd. They need to be used more for that purpose.

There needs to also be more student attendance at games, but I don't think that can be done unless the schools force people to go to them. I bet at Brown that over half of the students have never been to our football stadium. I'm sure that at least 80 or 90% would not know that we actually have D-I football squads.