PDA

View Full Version : LEHIGH'S GOODMAN TO RECEIVE NEW TURF

ngineer
April 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
It was announced today that the day after graduation ceremonies end in Goodman Stadium that the old turf, that has been there for over 40 years, will be torn up and replaced with a new sod/turf system with underground irrigation and drainage design, which the current field does not have. AD Sterrett said going to an artificial surface was never seriously considered. Football is meant to be played on grass, pure and simple. However, the current turf has gotten 'exhausted' which has made it susceptible to disease/fungus, requiring a lot of work to keep in the good condition it has appeared.
However, there will also be a new "Field Turf" field constructed to replace the exisiting artificial surface upon which field hockey, lacrosse, and soccer sometimes play. It will be designed to accommodate all aspects of college football in the even to another 'monsoon' event, such as occured with Holy Cross three years ago. Should such a recurrence happen, the game would be played at the Ulrich Complex.
Finally, the scoreboard will be upgraded. Not sure if this year or next. But it is over 20 years old and replacement parts are no longer available. No details on what type of board, however, but it will definitely be designed to be easier to read with the afternoon sun.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 19th, 2008, 09:07 PM
The scoreboard is the most important thing. While it's still a nice pratical board the way it was designed made it almost impossible to see on the north side of the 50 yard line. A board that had a video screen in the middle and then had symmetrical scoreboards angling to both sides of the stadium would make the most sense to eliminate the sun problem.

UAalum72
April 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I didn't think you could play field hockey on FieldTurf (need a real carpet so the ball rolls easier) but at least the football team won't be playing on that lead-impregnated fake stuff.

ngineer
April 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I didn't think you could play field hockey on FieldTurf (need a real carpet so the ball rolls easier) but at least the football team won't be playing on that lead-impregnated fake stuff.

Isn't that something??!! Imagine if they find out that lead is actually leaching out or becoming airborne once material starts to deteriorate...Thousands of new surfaces getting torn up...xeekx xsmhx

kardplayer
April 19th, 2008, 10:33 PM
It was announced today that the day after graduation ceremonies end in Goodman Stadium that the old turf, that has been there for over 40 years, will be torn up and replaced with a new sod/turf system with underground irrigation and drainage design, which the current field does not have. AD Sterrett said going to an artificial surface was never seriously considered. Football is meant to be played on grass, pure and simple. However, the current turf has gotten 'exhausted' which has made it susceptible to disease/fungus, requiring a lot of work to keep in the good condition it has appeared.
However, there will also be a new "Field Turf" field constructed to replace the exisiting artificial surface upon which field hockey, lacrosse, and soccer sometimes play. It will be designed to accommodate all aspects of college football in the even to another 'monsoon' event, such as occured with Holy Cross three years ago. Should such a recurrence happen, the game would be played at the Ulrich Complex.
Finally, the scoreboard will be upgraded. Not sure if this year or next. But it is over 20 years old and replacement parts are no longer available. No details on what type of board, however, but it will definitely be designed to be easier to read with the afternoon sun.

Huh? does the bolded section mean that they would move from the football field to the lacrosse field for a game in a monsoon?

otto4pres
April 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
good too see you're sprucing up the stadium in time for our visit.

Bucknell, Harvard, Brown, and Columbia will soon follow suit.

ngineer
April 20th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Huh? does the bolded section mean that they would move from the football field to the lacrosse field for a game in a monsoon?

Yes. I was at the Holy Cross monsoon game and there were only a few hundred of us hardy souls in the stands. Under such conditions, the stands at the Ulrich complex would be able to handle most, or maybe they'll increase the seating, too. But this is only for the extreme event that is rare, but possible.

Lehigh74
April 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM
The planned upgrades to Goodman and Ulrich is great news. Is there going to be an official announcement? If so when?

Tribe4SF
April 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM

What fake stuff is impregnated with lead?

UAalum72
April 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
What fake stuff is impregnated with lead?http://www.startribune.com/nation/17930119.html

"Pigment containing lead chromate is used in some surfaces to make the grass green and hold its color in sunlight. But it is not clear how widely the compound is used. The New Jersey Health Department found lead in both of the nylon fields it tested, but in none of the 10 polyethylene surfaces it examined. Both nylon fields were Astro Turf brand surfaces"

LehighFan11
April 21st, 2008, 09:54 AM
Yes. I was at the Holy Cross monsoon game and there were only a few hundred of us hardy souls in the stands. Under such conditions, the stands at the Ulrich complex would be able to handle most, or maybe they'll increase the seating, too. But this is only for the extreme event that is rare, but possible.

I don't know if this is a logical solution. What happens if the monsoon happens vs. Lafayette?

Ivytalk
April 21st, 2008, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the "John Q. ngineer Scoreboard at Goodman Stadium"!:D

89Hen
April 21st, 2008, 10:15 AM
It was announced today that the day after graduation ceremonies end in Goodman Stadium that the old turf, that has been there for over 40 years, will be torn up and replaced with a new sod/turf system with underground irrigation and drainage design, which the current field does not have.
xconfusedx Who in their right mind would stick with natural grass with all the reports mpls showed us that he prefers field turf? xsmiley_wix :p

Lehigh Football Nation
April 21st, 2008, 10:34 AM
My question is: does that mean Lehigh will be making a trip to play SDSU sometime in the near future? xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

ngineer
April 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
I don't know if this is a logical solution. What happens if the monsoon happens vs. Lafayette?

Good question...although history had shown that such rain storms don't occur after October. In such event, though, I think we'd stay at Goodman, for even then I suspect a good many thousands would still brave the elements--like the Freezer Bowl of 1987.

ngineer
April 21st, 2008, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the "John Q. ngineer Scoreboard at Goodman Stadium"!:D

Not quite there,yet, Ivy...;)

Marcus Garvey
April 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM
Good question...although history had shown that such rain storms don't occur after October. In such event, though, I think we'd stay at Goodman, for even then I suspect a good many thousands would still brave the elements--like the Freezer Bowl of 1987.

Do you remember what the temperature was that day? I was collecting money for my paper route that afternoon and I thought I was going die, the wind chill was so bad and the cold air caused my asthma to seize up something fierce. A friend of my parents was a a Lehigh grad and at that game. He gave up watching in the stands and went back to the RV. Last game at Taylor or not, he and his wife couldn't take it anymore.

MplsBison
April 21st, 2008, 11:18 AM
It was announced today that the day after graduation ceremonies end in Goodman Stadium that the old turf, that has been there for over 40 years, will be torn up and replaced with a new sod/turf system with underground irrigation and drainage design, which the current field does not have.

Consider your natural turf surface to have one foot in the grave with comments like this.

Drainage is probably the number 2 reason teams switch to artificial (after savings from reduced maintenance costs).

UAalum72
April 21st, 2008, 11:57 AM
They would have needed a drainage system no matter what kind of surface is put on the field.

MplsBison
April 21st, 2008, 12:07 PM
But in conditions like that, it often times does no good to have a nice drainage system but real grass still on top.

It's going to be mud eventually.

Time to switch to artificial!

Marcus Garvey
April 21st, 2008, 12:19 PM
But in conditions like that, it often times does no good to have a nice drainage system but real grass still on top.

Not necessarily. You are probably unaware of this, but Lehigh's field sits in a depression. It's signifcantly lower than the surrounding fields, probably a good 15 to 20 feet lower. When it rains, water drains there regardless. So putting in a natural surface with drainage is the same as an artifical surface with drainage. There's no benefit to artificial in that respect.

89Hen
April 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
Consider your natural turf surface to have one foot in the grave with comments like this.

Drainage is probably the number 2 reason teams switch to artificial (after savings from reduced maintenance costs).

Face facts you are beaten and whatever it was you claimed on the other thread. xlolx GRASS IS PREFERRED!

Marcus Garvey
April 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM
Face facts you are beaten and whatever it was you claimed on the other thread. xlolx GRASS IS PREFERRED!

To paraphrase Tug McGraw: I prefer grass, as I can never keep the artificial turf lit!

MplsBison
April 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Not necessarily. You are probably unaware of this, but Lehigh's field sits in a depression. It's signifcantly lower than the surrounding fields, probably a good 15 to 20 feet lower. When it rains, water drains there regardless.

It's just this very reason that artificial will be chosen soon.

Grass simply can't compare to the advanced drainage of artificial.

I for one would support NCAA legislature that says stadiums in which there is considerable water in a typical season will be forced to go artificial so as to provide a safe, dry surface for players.

No more mud bowl BS. This is Division I. Not high school.

89Hen
April 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM
I for one would support NCAA legislature that says stadiums in which there is considerable water in a typical season will be forced to go artificial so as to provide a safe, dry surface for players.
Why is it that PLAYERS prefer a suface that according to you is unsafe? xconfusedx

MplsBison
April 21st, 2008, 01:31 PM
I'm sure players would prefer all kinds of unsafe things.

I believe NHL hockey players fought for the right to not have to wear helmets back when they were becoming mandated.

Like any other type of significant change, the old people resist it for no other reason than resisting change and the young people simply accept it as the norm.

Then the old people die out and it becomes the norm.

Either get on board or die out. Your choice.

89Hen
April 21st, 2008, 02:12 PM
1. You have yet to show that field turf is in any way more safe.
2. If safety were the biggest concern, they would outlaw tackling and just play flag football.
3. Obviously people who have to pay for this field thing grass is a better choice.
4. The NFL players have ranked the natural grass fields higher than artificial.
5. Like any other type of significant change, the smart people ask for legitimate reasons for the change and the young people simply ignore facts and babble on

Marcus Garvey
April 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM
It's just this very reason that artificial will be chosen soon.

Grass simply can't compare to the advanced drainage of artificial.

No more mud bowl BS. This is Division I. Not high school.

You don't invest in something unwanted for the 1 in 10,000 situation. They want grass, they're installing grass, case closed.
Besides, only pu$$ies are afraid of getting their uniforms muddy.
xsmiley_wix

813Jag
April 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM

I believe NHL hockey players fought for the right to not have to wear helmets back when they were becoming mandated.

Like any other type of significant change, the old people resist it for no other reason than resisting change and the young people simply accept it as the norm.

Then the old people die out and it becomes the norm.

Either get on board or die out. Your choice.
I guess my school is going to die out. Our field went from this:
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper950/stills/3d80e9b2089af-1-1.jpg

to this:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa108/cdwells750/TSU4592807.jpg

(Both games after a steady rain in the evening)

Go...gate
April 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
Very glad Goodman kept grass. I was not thrilled when Colgate and Princeton adopted it. Why not play in the mud once in awhile?

MplsBison
April 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Nothing wrong with mud itself.

It's having a slippery surface that's dangerous and unacceptable at the DI level.

These are the top of the line athletes and they deserve a stable surface to play on.

Sloshing around in the mud is high school.

ngineer
April 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
With the way Lehigh's Goodman is in a natural bowl, so long as the field is crowned appropriately, and reasonable rain will be collected in the swales along the east and west sidelines. It would only be in the 'hurricane' type conditions we faced against Holy Cross that would require the move over the Field Turf field at the Ulrich Complex.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 21st, 2008, 11:02 PM
It's having a slippery surface that's dangerous and unacceptable at the DI level.

These are the top of the line athletes and they deserve a stable surface to play on.

As top of line as those athletes at Florida, Notre Dame, Penn State, Florida State, USC, LSU, Auburn, etc? Many of the top flite football programs still use grass for a reason. It's better than the fake stuff especially if you have they funds to maintain it. Lehigh has always done a great job keeping Goodmans grass field in great shape. The condition of the field following the HC in 2005 was fantastic.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 07:08 AM
With the way Lehigh's Goodman is in a natural bowl, so long as the field is crowned appropriately, and reasonable rain will be collected in the swales along the east and west sidelines. It would only be in the 'hurricane' type conditions we faced against Holy Cross that would require the move over the Field Turf field at the Ulrich Complex.

That's another good point to bring up.

Crowning the field is unacceptable.

The field should be flat.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
As top of line as those athletes at Florida, Notre Dame, Penn State, Florida State, USC, LSU, Auburn, etc? Many of the top flite football programs still use grass for a reason. It's better than the fake stuff especially if you have they funds to maintain it. Lehigh has always done a great job keeping Goodmans grass field in great shape. The condition of the field following the HC in 2005 was fantastic.

And yet Michigan and Ohio State are fieldturf.

The teams in the south have a legitmate reason to stay with grass.

Penn State and Notre Dame have none. And when the old traditionalists die out (hopefully soon), they will also switch.

89Hen
April 22nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Sloshing around in the mud is high school.

The teams in the south have a legitmate reason to stay with grass.
Your arguement is getting softer than any mud we'll see on the field. You now ADMIT that grass is better. If it weren't, there wouldn't be any "legitimate reason" according to you. You said it was better and less expensive and you even made a PHONEY claim that it was safer. Now there is some other mystery quality that makes it not legitimate for teams in the south? You also tip your hand that your real problem with it is you don't like the look of mud. xlolx

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Fieldturf is superior to grass in all climates.

However, if you are in the south and your old traditionalists are still alive, you can get away with grass until they die out.

Franks Tanks
April 22nd, 2008, 09:36 AM

Lehigh does have some great grass. The best grass I have ever played on was at Princeton, that stuff was like a fairway at Augusta national. I cant believe they went to turf when their field was excellent the way it was. Lafayette always seemed to have difficulty maintaining the real stuff and it usually came up in chunks. For this reason only I am glad we went to the fake stuff, but I would always prefer to play on grass in my day.

89Hen
April 22nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Fieldturf is superior to grass in all climates.
According to YOU, not the PLAYERS.
xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex

Marcus Garvey
April 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM

Do you say stuff to be controversial? Crowned fields are the preferred football surface for the past 125 years. Give me one good reason why the field should be flat if no other sports are played on it? Football fields that are flat are used for other purposes, primarily soccer, field hockey, lacrosse and baseball.

Marcus Garvey
April 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM

I get it! He works for a manufacturer or an installer of artifical surfaces. That's the only reasonable explanation.

andy7171
April 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM

Do you say stuff to be controversial? Crowned fields are the preferred football surface for the past 125 years. Give me one good reason why the field should be flat if no other sports are played on it? Football fields that are flat are used for other purposes, primarily soccer, field hockey, lacrosse and baseball.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
This is the first time I've heard him speak out about crowned fields!

Aren't all fields crowned?

andy7171
April 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM

I told him the players, including myself, liked playing in the mud and that it was fun. He told me I only spoke for myself. xlolx

Marcus Garvey
April 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
This is the first time I've heard him speak out about crowned fields!

Aren't all fields crowned?

Actually no. As I mentioned, most multi-purpose fields are not crowned. A good example the Carrier Dome at Syracuse. It's a bit tough to lay down a basketball court on a crowned field. But crowned fields are the preferred way to go. If a field is used almost exclusively for football, it's generally crowned.

andy7171
April 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Actually no. As I mentioned, most multi-purpose fields are not crowned. A good example the Carrier Dome at Syracuse. It's a bit tough to lay down a basketball court on a crowned field. But crowned fields are the preferred way to go. If a field is used almost exclusively for football, it's generally crowned.

Towson's new field is crowned and is used for mens and womens lax programs.

Thinking back, Northeasterns old astro turf field wasn't crowned. And I'm pretty sure it was just a carpeted parking lot. That field SUCKED!

FranksTanks mentioned Penn's grass field. I played on W&M's and it was like a golf green! xthumbsupx xbowx

89Hen
April 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
I played on W&M's and it was like a golf green! xthumbsupx xbowx
Was. :(

andy7171
April 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Was. :(

Sadly, yes. Was.

I speak only for myself though. xcoolx

Franks Tanks
April 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM

Thinking back, Northeasterns old astro turf field wasn't crowned. And I'm pretty sure it was just a carpeted parking lot. That field SUCKED!

FranksTanks mentioned Penn's grass field. I played on W&M's and it was like a golf green! xthumbsupx xbowx

Actually Princeton. Penn had concrete painted green when I played--terrible

UAalum72
April 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I get it! He works for a manufacturer or an installer of artifical surfaces. That's the only reasonable explanation.
Hmm. 3M (Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing) made Tartan Turf, an early version, but I don't think they do any more.

I wonder if he knows that FieldTurf is made by Tarkett, a Canadian-based (not American!) company.

Marcus Garvey
April 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Hmm. 3M (Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing) made Tartan Turf, an early version, but I don't think they do any more.

I wonder if he knows that FieldTurf is made by Tarkett, a Canadian-based (not American!) company.

Isn't he from North Dakota? Close enough! :)

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM

The field was always meant to be flat.

They had to crown it for drainage reasons.

Marcus Garvey
April 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM

Yeah, you can get away with a crowned field for lacrosse. But a flat field is preferred for soccer and field hockey.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM

I take it that in these pictures I am the man with the stick and your sad non arguments are the horse, getting crushed every time by me.

89Hen
April 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
I take it that in these pictures I am the man with the stick and your sad non arguments are the horse, getting crushed every time by me.
Half right. You are the stick.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
So I am still crushing your sad non arguments.

I guess the man represents God, who is willing me to crush you over and over.