PDA

View Full Version : Unique cheers etc at your school

catbob
October 5th, 2005, 01:53 PM
What cheers do you do at your school that you can claim no other school does?

I know you are all familiar with the soccer song "Ole, Ole". Well just replace the Ole with Lulay. :) It's pretty cool to hear the entire student section belting it out after a big play.

Hip Hip, Lulay works.

Hooray, Lulay.

Also during Louie Louie, I like to sing Lulay Lulay, but I think I'm alone on that one. :)

He has the coolest name ever.

ashram
October 5th, 2005, 01:57 PM
FU one time! FU two times! FU three times! FU ALL THE TIME!!!

That's one of the more popular ones. I've heard a former president of Furman used to lead that cheer, but that was before my time. I've also heard it was brought from another school, but I don't know. It's a good one.

blackfordpu
October 5th, 2005, 01:57 PM
When the crowd is into the game the student section usually starts the chant, "Eat'em uuuuuuup Kats!"

Sounds good when the entire crowd joins in.

TxSt02
October 5th, 2005, 01:59 PM
When the crowd is into the game the student section usually starts the chant, "Eat'em uuuuuuup Kats!"

Sounds good when the entire crowd joins in.

Sorry bro this one is not unique...

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 01:59 PM
We sing the Ole song after a field goal or extra point is made, and occasionally when a big play is made.

sceagle
October 5th, 2005, 02:10 PM
We have one student yell "Hail Southern" and everyone repeats it and it goes on for three times and on the fourth the leader yells "Hail Furman" (or whoever we are playing) and everyone responds "Hael No!!"

Gil Dobie
October 5th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Hail the Bison.......

Pard94
October 5th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Does "Lehigh was my safety school!" count? Should probably save that for the smack board...sorry...as you were.

grizbeer
October 5th, 2005, 02:41 PM
What cheers do you do at your school that you can claim no other school does?

I know you are all familiar with the soccer song "Ole, Ole". Well just replace the Ole with Lulay. :) It's pretty cool to hear the entire student section belting it out after a big play.

Hip Hip, Lulay works.

Hooray, Lulay.

Also during Louie Louie, I like to sing Lulay Lulay, but I think I'm alone on that one. :)

He has the coolest name ever.
The only chant I have ever heard in Bozeman is Eat ***** Grizzlies, Go Cats Go - it does make me laugh, though. Haven't heard that one at any other school! :) :D

Jacks99
October 5th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Our band does most of the creative cheering. One that they have done lately is a 1st down cheer. It starts with a drum intro that leads into everyone yelling "1st down!" then the brass playing that's the way, uh huh....I like it for a few secs.

Makes those long drives really fun.

GSUBass
October 5th, 2005, 02:53 PM
instead of that Ole chant...

whenever we play Elon we replace Ole with Elon. Especially when they make a boneheaded play (which happens fairly often)

Try it out, it's fun. We started it up during baseball season. I'm sure it'll continue.

catbob
October 5th, 2005, 02:56 PM
The only chant I have ever heard in Bozeman is Eat ***** Grizzlies, Go Cats Go - it does make me laugh, though. Haven't heard that one at any other school! :) :D

We replaced Grizzlies with Bengals last week, don't feel too special. :)

Engineer91
October 5th, 2005, 03:27 PM
In your best PA Dutch accent

Ring balogna ownst
Ring balogna twice
We're from Lehigh
Geez that's nice

I believe this was stolen/modified from MIT (legend suggests Lehigh added the last line)[COLOR=Black]

e to the x dy dx
e to the x dy dx
Secant tangent Cosine Sine
Three point one four one five nine
Go Engineers
Go Engineers
Hit 'em with a Log
... naturally

colgate13
October 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM
We have the most un-unique cheer ever: Let's Go 'Gate. That's it. That's all we got.

OL FU
October 5th, 2005, 03:32 PM
When the ref makes a bad call instead of the usual Bull ***** Bull ***** chant your hear

FU FU FU FU FU FU FU

Same general idea. with fingers pointed at the striped ones.

blackfordpu
October 5th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Sorry bro this one is not unique...

Its all we have that I know of. I am assuming that since you commented on it that Tx St. uses it as well. You know what, I posted it first so it belongs to us (on this thread anyway). :) :p

ekufbfan
October 5th, 2005, 03:39 PM
This isn't ours, but heard this at a University of Dayton FB game years ago, don't know if they still use it,but it goes like this...

UD-VD
Clap, Clap, Clap (as you yell the second line, clap hands also)

I swear this is true and the guy leading it in the stands that day had a commode seat around his neck! Pretty funny at the time! I tell you the fans at U of Dayton may have a better time at their games than ANY place I have ever been.

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 04:13 PM
We also do the "I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref." And then we'll occasionally do "Nut and bolts, nuts and bolts, we got screwed."

crunifan
October 5th, 2005, 04:26 PM
UNI has a chant that whenever we get a first down, the announcer will go: "And that's another Panther..." and the crowd will yell: "First down!"

All the other creative cheers are because of the band. They have cheers for every down, and then just random ones.

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 04:29 PM
We did the first down thing, just change Panther with Chanticleer.

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2005, 04:35 PM
The SHSU Band cheers "O-P, O-P"...and unless you knew they were referring to the Orange Pride, our national champion dance team (in one of 23 Divisons of dance competition, which is why you probably have a national champ as well) you'd think it was some random cheer... ;)

Oh and our cheerleaders/Orange Pride dance team cheer at the wrong times. Is that unique? Or are our spirit teams lacking that much knowledge of football?

Ah yes, Bearkat basketball band played Lone Ranger when we played McNeese St COWBOYS. Throw in playing the "Tomahawk Chop" a few years back (thank goodness we weren't playing the ULM Indians) til I called them out in a newspaper editorial that led to phone calls complaining that the "notes were unique" until band gave up. We're unique in that our band doesn't know what teams we're playing and the songs we're playing.

NorthDakotaBison
October 5th, 2005, 04:39 PM
We also do the "I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref." And then we'll occasionally do "Nut and bolts, nuts and bolts, we got screwed."

Pretty high schoolly.

Do you cheer, "elevator, elevator, we got the shaft," too?

grizbeer
October 5th, 2005, 04:46 PM
The UM Band get's pretty creative for the basketball games. For example, when the apposing player fouls out they chant left, right as the player takes a step - and stops if he stops. Also chants such as "you will not graduate from college" when the player shoots a free throw.

I don't know that there is anything unique about football cheers - the "Montana" after a first down, 1/2 the crowd yells Montana, the other 1/2 Grizzlies, and during the playing of the state song (not the UM fight song) crowd claps along then singes the "M-O-N-T-A-N-A, I love you" part. I assume these are pretty standard things.

Before the game they play Kid Rock's American Bad Ass as Monte runs around the field and points to parts of the stadium which then yells "Hey" along with the song - a good way to get the lungs loosened up.

putter
October 5th, 2005, 04:46 PM
It is pretty cool when we have 1/2 the stadium say MONTANA and the other 1/2 follow with GRIZZLIES...

Then the announcer will say.."Good for another FIRST DOWN..and the crowd says... MONTANA" Others follow that with MOVE THE CHAINS, MOVE THE CHAINS

blur2005
October 5th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I forget what the song is called, but JMU's band plays it, and JMU students are like "Hey, YOU SUCK!" then again "Hey, YOU SUCK!" again "Hey, You suck-- Jam U says SUCK THESE NUTS!"

HensRock
October 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM
"NOVA SUCKS"

The unique part is, we don't necessarily have to be playing Villanova at the time. :)

Ivytalk
October 5th, 2005, 05:23 PM
What's the color of horse*****?

BROWN, BROWN, BROWN!

B-R-O-W-N!

BlackSaturday
October 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Not football cheers, but in hoops we chant "Daddy's trustfund" to Davidson and "We got football" to UNC-Greensboro.

Lapper
October 5th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I hate to call one of my own out like this, but everything Superjon has said is simply not true. The only people who do that stupid "Ole" song and that "nuts and bolts" crap is the 10% of the student body section that everybody else thinks is quite annoying. As for the "first down" thing, we don't do that at all. The only cheer that I have heard the majority of the students chant is "C-I!...N-O!" CINO is an acronym for Coastal Is Number One. That's the ONLY cheer that has stuck so far.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 5th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Beat em beat em
Buck em buck em
Tear em down and really
FIGHT!

TEXAS! STATE!

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 5th, 2005, 07:17 PM
In Missoula we have this thing that we do that is really cool and awesome. People in one section will stand up and put their arms in the air all at the same time and go "Ahhh" or "Ohhh" or "Heyyy" or "Eaaauughhgh" and then they'll sit down. Then, just as they're sitting down, the people right next to them will do it, and then the people next to them, and so on until it goes all the way around the stadium. Washington-Grizzly is a big oval that's always full, so it looks pretty cool because it goes around and around in sort of a ... well, I guess a "wave" type motion for lack of a better word.

I don't know who came up with it but I'm pretty sure it was someone in the student section.

P.S. I love SHSU and was there right along side the Kats during The Drive last year at Eastern Washington in the quarterfinals, but that whole Eaddem OOOOHHHUUUUUUP Kats is really lame. Not even hotter than hell Texas cheerleaders can save that one.

TxSt02
October 5th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Pretty high schoolly.

Do you cheer, "elevator, elevator, we got the shaft," too?

or "nuts and bolts, we got screwed"

I have used the "get off your knees ref you are blowing the game"

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I've done the nuts and bolts one only when a ref was right in front of me. The I'm blind I'm deaf one came from one of our frats (and Lapper, I know exactly who and exactly what frat so I'm not talking crap, just saying where it came from). I'd honestly never heard it before he told us.

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2005, 08:39 PM
The Marching Salukis play (and sing) a song that goes "We're not Gonna Take It" every time we get a penalty. Not sure if it is unique, but it is funny. Of course our school band did once get a technical foul during a basketball game when a ref made a particularly bad call right in front of the band. Still not sure whose idea it was to start playing "Three Blind Mice".
:D
(We're not going to discuss the "Do It like a Big Dawg" cheer.)

galojay
October 5th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I don't think any Austin Peay fans are on here, so I will submit theirs for them.

"Let's go Peay! Let's Go Peay!"

Dallas Demon
October 5th, 2005, 08:48 PM
At Northwestern State (Demons):

Go to hell, <insert team>, go to hell, hell yeah!

Ivytalk
October 5th, 2005, 08:50 PM
What good is another Ivy title....

If you're not in the Ivy League!!!

GO PENN STATE!!!

sceagle
October 5th, 2005, 09:06 PM
When we get a first down it's "Move the chains, move the chains, move the chains." When we make a third down stop it's "Punt team, punt team, punt team." We also have specific school chants. For Furman "Purple Pansies" and App State "Mountainqueers." This is not really a chant but it's great when an opposing player starts talking to the students and were are winning. You can just laugh and say "Scoreboard" and point it out to him.

Cocky
October 5th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Big C little o...c...k...s Jax State Gamecocks ole hell yes.

therealbigredrules
October 5th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Back from the OVC days when we would play Morehead State

"Give me, More-Head"

Coastal89
October 5th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Cheer Cheer for teal black and white
we're gonna get your sister tonight
cause when we f___ we f___ like hell
cause we are the Chan-ti-cleers.

GO CHANTS

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 09:42 PM
That should be our fight song, not that Sock Em Bust Em crap. You could even clean it up and it'd be good.

ngineer
October 5th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Lehigh has one that I haven't seen for awhile, but was popular back in the 70's. Based on the school's founder's name, Asa Packer.
The cheerleaders, in a line, would chant: Asa, Asa
then quickly change direction 180 degrees and chant: Packer, Packer, Packer
(each time moving their outside arm like the old arm on a locomotives wheels).
This would be repeated three times.
Then facing the crowd, the cheerleaders would bend down and while raising their arms extending to tip-toes, chant a drawn out: A s a (doing this 3x)
And finally while bowing down to the crowd, chant as quickly as possible, four times: Packer, Packer, Packer, Packer.

Sort of what I'd call an 'old time' cheer, but one that was fun to watch and hear. (You had to be there :cool: )

TxSt02
October 5th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Lehigh has one that I haven't seen for awhile, but was popular back in the 70's. Based on the school's founder's name, Asa Packer.
Then facing the crowd, the cheerleaders would bend down and while raising their arms extending to tip-toes, chant a drawn out: A s a (doing this 3x)
And finally while bowing down to the crowd, chant as quickly as possible, four times: Packer, Packer, Packer, Packer.

Sort of what I'd call an 'old time' cheer, but one that was fun to watch and hear. (You had to be there :cool: )

Hmm... I like it! Sounds arousing to me. Of course only if the female cheerleaders are doing it!

Engineer91
October 6th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Band still does this cheer but without the cheerleaders. They also add a couple other verses for various other contributors to Lehigh. (Murry Murry, Goodman Goodman Goodman etc)

Engineer91
October 6th, 2005, 08:00 AM
What good is another Ivy title....

If you're not in the Ivy League!!!

GO PENN STATE!!!

What is called the Penn alma mater

"Don't send my boy to Harvard", the dying mother said.
"Don't send my boy to Syracuuusssee, I'd rather see him dead.
But send my boy to Lehigh, tis better than Cornell.
But as for Pensylvania, I'd see him first in hell"

To hell, to hell with Pensylvania
To hell with the U of P, P U

We were only only fooling
Like hell we were, like hell

When Pensylvania see our football team they always scoff
But we will beat them on the field and they will beat us off
It's plain for everyone to see, the Quakers have no class
For their head are up their ASS-TRO-TURF

refrain

JMUfan2008
October 6th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I forget what the song is called, but JMU's band plays it, and JMU students are like "Hey, YOU SUCK!" then again "Hey, YOU SUCK!" again "Hey, You suck-- Jam U says SUCK THESE NUTS!"

I love this chant, everytime the other team screws up we do this (which against Del St. was like 20 times during the game) and the WHOLE crowd screams "J-M-U says suck these nuts!" as loud as they can, it's hilarious if you ever get to see it (or be part of it) :D

Wild McGuirk
October 6th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Since Ivy talk is putting Rhode Island schools in the toilet -
What's the color of horse*****?

BROWN, BROWN, BROWN!

B-R-O-W-N!

....here's another one -

U-R-I, U-R-I, U-R-I-N-E!

Jacks99
October 6th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Oh and our cheerleaders/Orange Pride dance team cheer at the wrong times. Is that unique? Or are our spirit teams lacking that much knowledge of football?

Oh I think it's quite universal that the cheer times are not that great at picking what and when to cheer.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 6th, 2005, 11:28 AM
we will beat them on the field and they will beat us off

Re-fzcking-frain, indeed!

JALMOND
October 6th, 2005, 12:39 PM
At Portland State, we just sit there and listen to alums and fans from the opposing schools come up with their cheers. We just scream loud when we score (and when we win).

The most unique cheer I've heard is at Cat-Griz games, either in Missoula or Bozeman, and half the place chants mournfully "Poor Bobcats!" while the other half responds just as mournfully "Poor Grizzlies!". This carries over to post game, where the winners are more vocal and the losers are looking to fight.

OrneryAggie
October 6th, 2005, 01:06 PM
At Aggie games they like to shoot rolled up blue&gold tube socks into the crowd from pressurized air canons. Last year at the causeway one of the aggie pack announcers would yell 'Who's socks are these?' to which the crowd would respond 'Sac St Sucks!'

There's also the very weird Bossy Cow Cow cheer but I've never heard it at a game:

Mooooo
Bossy Cow-Cow
Honey Bee-Bee
Oleo Margarine
Oleo Butterine
Alfalfa, Hay!

You gotta wonder how much time the old Ag students had back in they day to come up with something like that.

NSUDemon98
October 6th, 2005, 03:22 PM
At Northwestern St., while the players are getting ready for the kick-off the 300 Member Spirit of Northwestern's Drumline starts playing unison notes slowly and gradually speeds up until it is really fast and then when the ball is finally kicked everyone yells "NnnnnnSsssssUuuuuuuuuuuuuuu".

Grande Rosso
October 6th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I haven't heard these anywhere else, they were popular 30 or so years ago at the all-male, small liberal arts college in the midwest which I attended.

"Free beer in the end zone, go team go!", repeated ad nauseum.

When a player on the other team was injured: "Blood makes the grass grow greener, greener", repeated as long as necessary

Whenever the opponents had a penalty : "Cheaters never prosper, cheaters never prosper".

As the officials are stepping off the penalty yards against the opponent, the "beep, beep, beep, beep," resembling the backup alarm on big trucks.

I know there were others, but I can't remember them (too many dead brain cells)

eaglesrthe1
October 6th, 2005, 03:40 PM
The student side shouts "Whose House"?!, The other side replies "Our House"!

In fact, it's written below the press box. http://athletics.georgiasouthern.edu/PaulsonBricks/images/P6100028.jpg

MR. CHICKEN
October 6th, 2005, 03:59 PM
At Aggie games they like to shoot rolled up blue&gold tube socks into the crowd from pressurized air canons. Last year at the causeway one of the aggie pack announcers would yell 'Who's socks are these?' to which the crowd would respond 'Sac St Sucks!'

There's also the very weird Bossy Cow Cow cheer but I've never heard it at a game:

Mooooo
Bossy Cow-Cow
Honey Bee-Bee
Oleo Margarine
Oleo Butterine
Alfalfa, Hay!

You gotta wonder how much time the old Ag students had back in they day to come up with something like that.

TAKES UH WHILE FO' DUH CANABIS PLANTS TA MATURE!.....:p.....AWK!

HasBeenCat71
October 6th, 2005, 04:26 PM
while i was at UNI, the band sand "the fireman song"

It was sang in a very meolodic way, in the manner in which a choir would sing it...

"Her mother was a firmans wife,
She puts out fires." Hmmm..........

"Her brother was a firemans son,
He puts out fires." Hmmm..........

"Her father was a fire-man,
He puts out fires." Hmmm........

"She was a firemans daughter,
She..... puts out...... Hmmm........

another cheer they would do was the "hi Bob"

the band would all stand up in their seats, turn around to the press box, and yell "hi Bob"

Bob would then flash the large endzone Scoreboard "Hi Band"

SpiritCymbal
October 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM
The student side shouts "Whose House"?!, The other side replies "Our House"!

In fact, it's written below the press box. http://athletics.georgiasouthern.edu/PaulsonBricks/images/P6100028.jpg
Well, that USE to be unique to Ga. Southern till McNeese St. copied us after the 2000 playoff game and now do it at their place.

Down with the Foe!
October 6th, 2005, 04:57 PM
The most unique cheer I've heard is at Cat-Griz games, either in Missoula or Bozeman, and half the place chants mournfully "Poor Bobcats!" while the other half responds just as mournfully "Poor Grizzlies!". This carries over to post game, where the winners are more vocal and the losers are looking to fight.

Well, it is Montana.....what the hell else you expect.

The cats are 3-17 over the past 20 years.

Those Cowboys (and Girls) in Bozoland get a little angry after getting their noses rubbed the wrong way....and the win blows non stop. It really is all they have to live for...and victories come few and far between.

to quote MR. Chicken "Brrrraaawwwwkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!"

crunifan
October 6th, 2005, 06:18 PM

the band would all stand up in their seats, turn around to the press box, and yell "hi Bob"

The "Hi Bob" cheer is still very much at UNI. :D

The Gadfly
October 6th, 2005, 06:27 PM
There are a group of us who do the "OOOH TA LAY LAY" crow to see whether there are Coastal fans around at away games. We got it from our rugby (aka real football) squad who do this chant before their match.

Kiss My Apps
October 6th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Well, that USE to be unique to Ga. Southern till McNeese St. copied us after the 2000 playoff game and now do it at their place.

Far from the truth... I've heard the "Our House" chant in some form in many stadiums, both professional and college.

PMB4Life
October 6th, 2005, 06:34 PM

It was sang in a very meolodic way, in the manner in which a choir would sing it...

Sadly, the Fireman's Song was retired after the untimely passing of Dr. John Baker. He's right, though: the "Hi, Bob" (PA announcer Bob Justis) routine is still very much in tact.

eaglesrthe1
October 6th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Far from the truth... I've heard the "Our House" chant in some form in many stadiums, both professional and college.

In some form??? What would that be..whose abode...our chateau??? If it's in another form...then it's not the same as GSU's.

And I don't vouch for the authenticity..I just haven't heard it anywhere else, other than at McNeese...and they agreed where they got it from.

ngineer
October 6th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Band still does this cheer but without the cheerleaders. They also add a couple other verses for various other contributors to Lehigh. (Murry Murry, Goodman Goodman Goodman etc)

From where I sit at Goodman, it's hard to hear the band's cheers. But with all the cheerleaders we now have down front, tis somethng they surely can do, too!

UNI MadCat
October 7th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Man I hated that song. I always thought it sounded absolutely ridiculous... and to be honest you couldnt ever really understand what they were saying. It just supplied more proof that the band never, ever, paid attention to the games.

When I was a kid the band would always yell "Hi Dino" to the, then, UNI President!! I did always think that was funny.

From my grad school days at Wisconsin -- two chants in particular I liked:

1. F.U. - E.S. (I'll let you figure out the real words) -- a la "Tastes Great" - "Less Filling". You can still pick it up on the audio of any Badger game on TV.

2. More so in hockey but -- "St. Cloud's not a State, St. Cloud's not a state." Or, obviously, insert any other school that works. I'm hoping the UNI students would start this one when Wichita comes up for basketball!!

FlyBoy8
October 7th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Other than the expected "Let's go Blue Hens" chants, I think the one we do most at UD is "HOLD-ING, HOLD-ING..."

The refs never appear to hear us though. :rolleyes:

We could use a few good chants at the Tub and some people are working on it, but I'm really a fan of just screaming your head off, which is what I do. The "DE-FENSE" chants bother me because it would so much louder if everyone just screamed.

GrizRick
October 7th, 2005, 06:49 PM
It's not a college cheer. It's one used by Montana schools who play Shelby High School, and it goes:

Shelby, Shelby, You are it
S H for Shelby
I T for it

:)

PMB4Life
October 7th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Man I hated that song. I always thought it sounded absolutely ridiculous... and to be honest you couldnt ever really understand what they were saying. It just supplied more proof that the band never, ever, paid attention to the games.

There's been no request to bring any of that stuff back. The band alums constantly ask us "whatever happened to..." and you could insert "fireman's song," or the "Ooooohs/Aaaaaaahs" or whatever the hell else they did. The best answer I've ever heard given was a friend of mine's:

"Because there's a football game on the field."

Your reply got me thinking about that. I was at the Western Illinois game last week, and their band did stuff like that the whole time. They thought they were hilarious... no one else cared two licks.

JaxSinfonian
October 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I do miss hearing ...

Whup Troy!

McNeese75
October 7th, 2005, 10:52 PM
In the 70's and 80's there used to be a cheer in the Hole that went

Ungowa, Ungowa, we got that coonass power :D