PDA

View Full Version : LFN: Lehigh's Brown/White Game Tomorrow

Lehigh Football Nation
April 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/

Talk about this weekend's Brown/White game. I cannot wait to see which QB emerges the "winner" of the Spring session.

You couldn't have a more perfect day tomorrow for the annual Brown/White game (1:30PM, Murray Goodman Stadium). With a forecast of 80 degrees and mostly sunny, it won't be too much of a leap of imagination to think of yourself on September 6th at Drake. And with the IronPigs taking their huge losing streak to Syracuse this weekend, the Brown/White game will take center stage.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2008, 08:56 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=brown-and-white-game-to-show-lehigh-s-hu&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

One negative is that tailback Kwesi Kankam, who dazzled early last season as a freshman, has quit the team, although he’s still in school.

“That’s probably the biggest disappointment of the whole spring,” Coen said. “He said that he just didn’t love football anymore. Usually, kids don’t say that when they play as much as he did last year. We’ll miss him.”

xoopsx

Ivytalk
April 19th, 2008, 09:00 AM
And ngineer will wear one brown sock and one white sock in a display of bipartisanship!:D

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 19th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Just read the write up on Lehigh's website and it seems like the game went pretty well as thought with the defense controlling the game. I have to believe that this will be Lehigh's best since the 2003 group. All the pieces are in place for a dominating unit. Pierce and Diamond seemed to have stellar games at LB and the secondary played well. The biggest question IMO still remains the offensive line. Without good OL play the entire "O" will be stuck in neutral all year and it will be difficult to develop a QB. I have to believe Bayani is one of the best in the league there doesn't appear to be much outside of him. Given Coen's background as a line coach as well as an offensive guy i find it dissapointing that so little improvement has been made in those two areas.

ngineer
April 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I was there today in the brilliant sunshine along with about 2,000 others. It was definitely the largest crowd for a Spring Game that I can remember. The D was impressive and I think we'll be very, very good there, this year. I believe we'll have the best LB corp in the PL this year. Diamond should be a strong candidate for PL defensive player of the year, pre-season. I also see him being a Buchanan candidate as well. All over the field with a nice pick. Pierce also returned an INT for a TD. D was very mobile and I liked the aggessive calling.
I think the many blitzes were in part to really test the OL and the new QB's..everyone was 'live' in order to see how the QBs would handle the pressure. None of the QBs grabbed the 'starter's mantle' in my opinion. Bokosky had some nice throws, including a TD where he looked off a receiver and came back to another. Clark, showed a very strong arm and had some nice throws. Cisneros, the lefty, had some good moments, but seemed, at the moment to be third, though they are close.
The key is going to be the OL. Shauder and Clerge took turns at center. Kuziel was the long snapper, as Brad Walter is out with an injury, but having a backup there is not bad.
Jason Leo was stellar with a punt average of around 45-50 yards with great hang time. He was third in country last year in net punting. He also hit a number of FGs from the 42-45 yard range.
It would appear to me that Bayani and Rackley will be starting, but a lot of competition yet among Harden, Rowe,Tiefenthal, and Giacalone for the other two slots. It would seem they are going to be interchangeable, which isn't bad to give guys a blow and depth. All good size in the 285-300 range.
RBs will be lead by McGowan and Walker, with Jay Campbell moving up to #3 with the loss of Kankam. Parrott was listed on the roster, but I don't recall him playing.
Yansane had a number of catches at WR, there was some doubt he would play due to injury. Supposedly, the new recruit at WR from Nebraska is highly thought of to push for playing time when he arrives in August.
Ivester had a circus catch for 40 yard gain, but the O was not able to punch it.
A big plus, also, is not significant injuries occured that I could tell. All in all a very enjoyable day. Also learned of some new projects starting soon, but that will be a different thread....

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Just posted my writeup on the blog:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com.

Basically: What ngineer said. :D I think that struggle on the "O" line stemmed from two big vacanies on the line.

LUHawker
April 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
RBs will be lead by McGowan and Walker, with Jay Campbell moving up to #3 with the loss of Kankam. Parrott was listed on the roster, but I don't recall him playing.

What do you mean by the "loss" of Kankam. Did he leave the team, the University, permanent injury?

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM
What do you mean by the "loss" of Kankam. Did he leave the team, the University, permanent injury?

He left the team at the very least.

ngineer
April 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM

Kankam has just left the team. Still in school. Just made a serious personal decision that he doesn't have the passion for the game anymore. It happens. Kids go away to college, get exposed to new subjects, people and places and some find out that football, and the significant commitment that is required at this level, aint everything, anymore. I was there myself, although compounded with some injury issues hastened my decision making after two years. It's part of the growing process and some people have a change in their thought process as to what is important in their lives and what should get priority. It's a shame for the team as Qwesi showed a lot of promise. McGowan mentioned it in today's Morning Call article. Said they're still 'brothers and love him' and everyone will move on. We should be okay depth wise. Campbell showed himself pretty capable as the #3 RB.

Lehigh74
April 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Parrott was listed on the roster, but I don't recall him playing.

I also noticed that Sean Parrott was listed on the program. As I recall, he had a long touchdown run in last years spring game, but wasn't on the roster in the fall. If he is back, it will give us a little extra depth at running back following the loss of Pastor and KanKam. Does anyone know if he is back with the team or if it was just a misprint on the program?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Interesting articles from the local press on the game, mashed up here:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Big play-up of the local leaders on the team, like SS Brendan Van Ackeren. Makes you wonder what they're going to do when the current batch of freshmen (of which there's only one "local" player) will be seniors.

Pard94
April 22nd, 2008, 06:10 AM
"Diamond should be a strong candidate for PL defensive player of the year, pre-season."

A strong candidate perhaps...but not as strong as the returning PL defensive player of the year, Andy Romans from Lafayette!

Lehigh Football Nation
April 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Exclusive Q&A with coach Coen in the blog:

Diamond is better than Romans. I have to believe that because I'm a Lehigh fan. :p

Pard94
April 23rd, 2008, 05:49 AM

Diamond is better than Romans. I have to believe that because I'm a Lehigh fan. :p

Indeed you do. And as a Lafayette fan I need to point out that you're crazy.xnodx

ngineer
April 23rd, 2008, 07:03 AM

Nice interview with Coen, LFN. The key is going to be the OL. I think the QB's, though young, will be okay if they have time and the RBs get enough daylight to establish a good ground game to take the pressure off the QBs.