PDA

View Full Version : TxSo Football Stadium Thread

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
It's been discussed on this board in numerous threads about the possibility of Texas Southern sharing a new soccer-specific Houston Dynamo facility in Houston. The proposed land is actually "around the corner" from the Texas Southern campus and it would help the Dynamo on many fronts (more dates, help politically, etc) to have Texas Southern involved. AGS's own 3rd Coast Tiger has even been involved in meetings.

Some interesting developments in Houston in the last 24 hours. The mayor of Houston was given a letter that the MLS sent to the Dynamo talking about how they need to get their act together regarding building a stadium and even threatened relocation. Houston does not take kindly to this sort of thing -- especially considering what happened with the Oilers.

The mayor said the letter was intimidating. The Dynamo said they just wanted the mayor to see what kind of pressure they were getting from the league.

We'll see what happens -- the MLS did not do any favors in writing the letter, which they knew would make it in the public and I think that we'll see even more interest in the development of the stadium.

Question to the faithful from the SWAC and TxSo...

Do you like the idea of the proposed Dynamo-TxSo partnership?

Would the Labor Day Classic move to the new stadium (or do you think it can outdraw what the stadium holds when TxSo turns around their program)?

Could it be conceivable to think that PVA&M may be willing to move a game like the Southern contest to this facility, instead of putting it at Reliant, Tully or wherever...?

Any other thoughts?

3rd Coast Tiger
April 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Would the Labor Day Classic move to the new stadium (or do you think it can outdraw what the stadium holds when TxSo turns around their program)?

Could it be conceivable to think that PVA&M may be willing to move a game like the Southern contest to this facility, instead of putting it at Reliant, Tully or wherever...?

Any other thoughts?

To answer your questions and since I am the only Texas Southern poster on this board:

Why do you care? We aren't the SLC. Wait a minute... you care because we are FCS right? xcoffeex

Besides, in your last thrashing of Texas Southern, shouldn't we be busy working with our new AD to help him with our "athletic issues" rather than talking about a stadium?

TSUalum05
April 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM
To answer your questions and since I am the only Texas Southern poster on this board

I'm here...I'm just not going to entertain this guy anymore...

McTailGator
April 20th, 2008, 10:22 PM
To answer your questions and since I am the only Texas Southern poster on this board:

Why do you care? We aren't the SLC. Wait a minute... you care because we are FCS right? xcoffeex

Besides, in your last thrashing of Texas Southern, shouldn't we be busy working with our new AD to help him with our "athletic issues" rather than talking about a stadium?

DAMN DUDE,

While I fully admit I really don't give a rats rear end about Tx Southern, as a Houston area resident, I am interested in the posibility of a nice new venue in the down town area of Houston. It would be a win win for all Houstonians, and it really sounds like it would be a great place for TxSouth to call home.

I lived near 20,000 seat Toyota Park near Chicago just after it was built. It was a beautiful venue and hosted some really cool concerts and other things as well. It would serve the Houston area really nice, although, I'd make it seat between 23 and 25K.

http://web.mlsnet.com/t100/imgs/stadium/2008/main.jpg

Pizza Hut Park up near Dallas is almost just like the Chicagoland stadium. They also use it for many other things beside soccor.

http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/t104/imgs/stadium/homepage/stadium_aerial.jpg

I think the Columbus Crew stadium is what Houston should try to model theirs after. It seats about 23,000.

http://columbus.crew.mlsnet.com/t102/imgs/stadium/stadium.jpg

McTailGator
April 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM
It's been discussed on this board in numerous threads about the possibility of Texas Southern sharing a new soccer-specific Houston Dynamo facility in Houston. The proposed land is actually "around the corner" from the Texas Southern campus and it would help the Dynamo on many fronts (more dates, help politically, etc) to have Texas Southern involved. AGS's own 3rd Coast Tiger has even been involved in meetings.

Some interesting developments in Houston in the last 24 hours. The mayor of Houston was given a letter that the MLS sent to the Dynamo talking about how they need to get their act together regarding building a stadium and even threatened relocation. Houston does not take kindly to this sort of thing -- especially considering what happened with the Oilers.

The mayor said the letter was intimidating. The Dynamo said they just wanted the mayor to see what kind of pressure they were getting from the league.

We'll see what happens -- the MLS did not do any favors in writing the letter, which they knew would make it in the public and I think that we'll see even more interest in the development of the stadium.

Any other thoughts?

I wonder why P-View chooses Tully over the Berry Center to play a few of their games. I work about 1/2 mile from Tully on the 28th floor of my building and my office looks right down on Tully.

It ain't no Berry Center, that's for certain.

Reliant, I understand for the capacity, but why choose Tully over Berry?

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I'm a Houston native -- follow the Houston Dynamo, even more so than I follow Texas Southern. I'm trying to figure out what's going with the Dynamo situation and it seems Texas Southern is involved in some shape or fashion...

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I wonder why P-View chooses Tully over the Berry Center to play a few of their games. I work about 1/2 mile from Tully on the 28th floor of my building and my office looks right down on Tully.

It ain't no Berry Center, that's for certain.

Reliant, I understand for the capacity, but why choose Tully over Berry?

No clue on that front -- but some SHSU fans are hoping that the PVA&M/SHSU deal is a three year deal which includes this year in Huntsville, one year in Prairie View and a third at Berry Center. That area where the Berry Center is remains very integral to both school's recruiting strategies especially as it relates to the school's efforts (namely PVA&M) to fight off UH from opening a campus there...

Sly Fox
April 20th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Berry Center is booked fairly solid during football season with more Cy-Fair schools opening every month it seems and only two stadiums in the district.

Tully is much cheaper to rent as well hence PVU (I'm sorry but I'm still not comfortable with the A&M part of their name) choosing that venue despite it being further away from their campus then Tully.

As for the soccer stadium, I'm hearing bad things on its prospects. But there is still time for everyone to compromise and get it done.

McTailGator
April 20th, 2008, 11:45 PM
As for the soccer stadium, I'm hearing bad things on its prospects. But there is still time for everyone to compromise and get it done.

MLS may have screwed the pooch because you don't threaten to pull a team that only draws 20000 a match.

We told the oilers to F off, we will damn sure tell soccor to take a hike seeing as how most Houstonians could give a rats rear end about a game no one understands anyway.

MACHIAVELLI
April 21st, 2008, 12:26 AM
Who shot J.R.?

3rd Coast Tiger
April 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Who shot J.R.?

xlolx

Dane96
April 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM
The MLS didnt screw the pooch-- part of its new mantra require stadiums to be SSS (soccer specific stadium). The Dynamo and the CITY OF HOUSTON were very aware of this on the move. Sharing with UHOUSTON was a temporary move from the get.

With St. Louis, Miami (yes...round two), Vancouver, Montreal, Atlanta, and a SECOND NEW YORK TEAM (Brooklyn or LI---both have huge soccer communities), there are PLENTY of alternatives for Houston if the moved.

I highly doubt they will, however, and a stadium deal will get done. That being said, a relocation for the Dynamo would give any city an INSTANT WINNER...creating a solid fan base.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Here's the latest (coming from the media of course)... xlolx

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=6376581&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Dynamo Stadium Efforts Land a New Ally
TSU Express Interests In Playing Football Games at Stadium

The Houston Dynamo's efforts to partner with the City of Houston on a downtown soccer stadium received a boost Wednesday when Texas Southern University expressed interest in playing its home games in the proposed facility.

"Although I officially start on May 1 at Texas Southern University and I haven't had an opportunity to look at all of the data involving the proposed stadium, TSU athletics and its football program would be excited to be able to participate and partner with all entities involved in the project to ensure Texas Southern has a state of the art football facility," said Charles McClelland, the schools' new athletics director in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

The Dynamo and the City of Houston are in the midst of intense negotiations on the project that would be built near Minute Maid Park with an estimated cost of $110 million. That dollar figure includes the land which the city has already purchased for around $15 million but Mayor Bill White also acknowledges the property can be used for a variety of projects should the stadium deal not be consumated.

"I had an initial conversation with Dynamo President Oliver luck and he gave me some of the details that I am excited about but I have to follow-up and take a look at all of the information," said McClelland.

McClelland is taking over at TSU after leaving a similiar position at Prairie View. The Tigers currently play the majority of their home games on campus with one annual game at Reliant Stadium. TSU has also used Robertson Stadium on the University of Houston campus in the past for home games.

BEAR
April 23rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Is this an APP thread?

(Don't worry I posted this same message in every thread)xlolx xpeacex

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Here's the latest (coming from the media of course)... xlolx

3rd Coast...I believed you, no worries. My concern is that it took Scoop so long to get something out on this. Was Berman on vacation?

As long as the Dynamo get their way with dates and TxSo is willing to play by those dates, there should be no problems with the deal. The facility needs to be soccer-first, football or boxing (Golden Boy is involved) second...

slycat
April 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM
i was following this story on the news and it seems like a good idea to me. both teams need a stadium and working together will make it cheaper for both teams and the city. while it would be great for the teams to have their own stadiums, this solution is more logical.

Dane96
April 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Northeastern and the Revolution have been trying to work a similar deal. Unfortunately, our douchebag Mayor has killed so many options.

My personal option...right on Fan Pier.

I think sharing is great and it shows the growing areas of FCS football and Soccer in this nation. ESPN just did an article showing that Youth Soccer academies have more people playing than ever.

TexasTerror
May 8th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Two articles and a blog on the subject today...I believe today is the usual soccer page day in the Chronicle where there's always a bump in the amount of articles about soccer. TxSo was all over it!

TSU looking to be a financial player in Dynamo facility
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5762885.html

TSU's participation crucial to stadium deal
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5762932.html

Let's talk TSU and jersey sponsors
http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archives/2008/05/lets_talk_tsu_a.html

Some of the responses have been negative calling it a "Slade deal" and that the Univ needs to focus more on academics than money considering their financial woes. Will have to check out BigSoccer to see what they are saying...

NoCoDanny
May 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
So is TSU's current stadium in need of replacement?

I know nothing about them.

TexasTerror
May 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
So is TSU's current stadium in need of replacement?

Texas Southern was nomadic playing at various venues in Houston before returning to campus a few years back. Their facility is awful. In Texas, you'd find 2A schools that have nicer facilities.

Not sure if they have done updates to it since this picture was taken. I'm tentatively scheduled to visit in December.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7114/texassoutherntigersvx1.jpg

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2008, 08:59 AM
An update...

Fallas and McClelland eliminates any concerns people have about a track at the facility.

And more importantly, McClelland gets the sensitivity related to the football lines on the field...

"We definitely understand the issue and I think we will be sensitive to it if the deal is done. We understand that football lines are something the soccer community isn't really interested about."

http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archives/2008/05/dynamo_stadium_2.html

3rd Coast Tiger
May 14th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Be honest TT,

Who started this "TSU wants a track" rumor? Was it you? xsmhx

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Be honest TT,

Who started this "TSU wants a track" rumor? Was it you? xsmhx

Did not even know the rumor existed. Fallas reads the BigSoccer boards all day and has been known to bring to an end some of the rumors on their board. He's very proactive in that regard...

slycat
June 29th, 2008, 02:53 PM
update about the stadium from a meeting with dynamo and mayor white.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6860391&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1.1

Panther88
June 29th, 2008, 04:22 PM
update about the stadium from a meeting with dynamo and mayor white.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6860391&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1.1

I certainly hope they work the deal and also that the deal benefits sTu as well. It's different not playing games on campus but in the long run, it would prove financially beneficial to sTu and the city of Houston to have a joint venture between sTu, city of Houston, and the Dynamo.

Also, to ans McT's earlier question, it was cheaper for PV to rent Tully and Berry had prior committments. BTW, PV's purported on-campus stadium (no track xreadx ) would be erected @ a site away from the current Blackshear field. xreadx Vale'. xreadx

TexasTerror
June 29th, 2008, 04:39 PM
This stadium needs to happen...

There are way too many problems with the Dynamo games, particularly when the major long semesters are in session at UH.

Houston has developed quite the soccer following and has something special going on. If they can benefit sTu at the same time, nothing wrong with that, even if the Dynamo are using sTu as political collateral and a means to gain some support...

Panther88
June 29th, 2008, 04:44 PM
If they can benefit sTu at the same time, nothing wrong with that, ...

It's a win-win situation. IFF (if and only if) cost overruns et al negative issues are kept minimal. xreadx It's hard to really pinpoint precise total cost w/out an overrun unless some type of incentive is presented, from what I've been researching lately - mainly w/ JerryJones deal in Arlington. xreadx

McTailGator
June 29th, 2008, 10:17 PM
It's a win-win situation. IFF (if and only if) cost overruns et al negative issues are kept minimal. xreadx It's hard to really pinpoint precise total cost w/out an overrun unless some type of incentive is presented, from what I've been researching lately - mainly w/ JerryJones deal in Arlington. xreadx

The more I look at it, the more I like the location of the proposed facility.

TOTAL access to EVERYTHING downtown. Transportation, bars, resturants, hotels, parking, etc. Even being so close to the GR Brown will be a big plus. nice place to hold pre-game activities, say the night before a game.

I would like to see Houston make a run for the FCS National Championship game at this facility.

Houston would be a great host. Plenty of opportunities for local corporate sponsors and media to talk it up.

TexasTerror
June 29th, 2008, 10:35 PM
The NCAA won't let Texas Southern host an NCAA championship event after their NCAA bowling championship fiasco and that was a minor championship.

A member of the media told me the story the fall after it happened and I recently had it confirmed by someone that came in to town to assist at the event.

Texas Southern would also not support such an event, especially considering they have not nor more than likely, ever will be in the playoffs, so you'd have to turn another direction.

Perhaps if the event were in Houston, the Southland Conference would take over control of the event from the media relations standpoint to an administrative standpoint.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
The NCAA won't let Texas Southern host an NCAA championship event after their NCAA bowling championship fiasco and that was a minor championship.

A member of the media told me the story the fall after it happened and I recently had it confirmed by someone that came in to town to assist at the event.

Texas Southern would also not support such an event, especially considering they have not nor more than likely, ever will be in the playoffs, so you'd have to turn another direction.

Perhaps if the event were in Houston, the Southland Conference would take over control of the event from the media relations standpoint to an administrative standpoint.

I blame this on McTailgator for this. xsmhx

TexasTerror
June 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I blame this on McTailgator for this. xsmhx

Well, it's a fact...

TSU does not have the capability to host an NCAA championship, especially one in a sport, where they are part of a league that is not an "active player" (if you will) in the championship we are speaking to...do you disagree?

3rd Coast Tiger
June 29th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Again.... curse you McTailGator!!!! xmadx

TexasTerror
June 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Again.... curse you McTailGator!!!! xmadx

Got to love when 3rd Coast Tiger agrees with me...xnodx

I do support an FCS game in Houston, but while it is easier to fly into, is there the community here to support it? Would the SLC really rally behind the event? Chatty isn't that bad a drive from several FCS hot spots and has done a great job of building things up. May not be worth moving unless the NCAA can get a sweetheart of a deal from Houston...

Houston did recently host the NCAA Division II spring sports festival...

3rd Coast Tiger
June 29th, 2008, 11:19 PM

Agrees with you? I'd love to see the day that happens.

Where did McTailgator say anything about Texas Southern hosting the game?

The Harris County Houston Sports Authority could host while Texas Southern could co-host since we are the NCAA entity that's home to the stadium. I know the Blackwell-lead championship would pale in comparision of a McClelland-assisted championship but since you know everything and loves to let people know you do go ahead with your rant.

Furthermore, I love how you just talk while putting your foot in your mouth. Matter of fact, there's talk of the new stadium hosting the championship game within 5-7 years. xlolx I love how you have no clue of what you speak.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 29th, 2008, 11:37 PM

Hey TT, how much you willing to back your words up with this statement? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

$25?
$50?
$1,000?

You make the call. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Panther88
June 29th, 2008, 11:46 PM
The more I look at it, the more I like the location of the proposed facility.

TOTAL access to EVERYTHING downtown. Transportation, bars, resturants, hotels, parking, etc. Even being so close to the GR Brown will be a big plus. nice place to hold pre-game activities, say the night before a game.

I would like to see Houston make a run for the FCS National Championship game at this facility.

Houston would be a great host. Plenty of opportunities for local corporate sponsors and media to talk it up.

Excellent idea. The location & numerous venues, hotels, airports (plural), et al certainly beat... well... xreadx Not bad at all. xbowx

I wonder how the "good" folx @ HSA (Reliant) would feel about that though? xreadx

3rd Coast Tiger
June 30th, 2008, 12:00 AM
You know TT, I've actually been waiting on you to bring this up.... again about the bowling championship.

Again, I ask. How much are you willing to bet since you are so sure it won't happen again?

$2,000?
$5,000?
$7,500?

TexasTerror
June 30th, 2008, 08:47 AM
The Harris County Houston Sports Authority could host while Texas Southern could co-host since we are the NCAA entity that's home to the stadium. I know the Blackwell-lead championship would pale in comparision of a McClelland-assisted championship but since you know everything and loves to let people know you do go ahead with your rant.

No, we would not want Texas Southern to co-host a championship. The school and the conference do not actively participate in the playoffs. The infrastructure is currently not in place and would probably have to be outsourced or receive major assistance from other schools who have capable staffs.

Furthermore, I love how you just talk while putting your foot in your mouth. Matter of fact, there's talk of the new stadium hosting the championship game within 5-7 years. xlolx I love how you have no clue of what you speak.

I know as much. I've read it, but Houston? I love the city and would love for the Division I championship game to go there, but the local is not ideal to the FCS landscape. Just not seeing this game getting local support. The "TSU 750" do not even know most of the programs outside of the SWAC! I do not see SHSU sending them down en masse and same goes with PVA&M.

Hey TT, how much you willing to back your words up with this statement? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Don't tell me -- you already know sTu is going to host an NCAA championship event (probably bowling again). Perhaps "Stick" needs to call the NCAA and remind them about last time. Guess, things may be better off this go around, especially since sTu needs they need to bring in people who have experience in running an event. xnodx

3rd Coast Tiger
June 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I'm talking about a football national championship game.

So do we have a bet or not!!! xlolx

Panther88
June 30th, 2008, 09:59 AM
How does HSA figure into all this? I'm sure HSA will be one of the governing bodies over the new stadium, correct? I'm no longer a full-time resident of that area so I don't get into what occurs about the actual city of Houston anymore. lol I'm only concerned w/ what actually occurs in Walker, Waller, Montgomery, Grimes, and Polk counties. :D

McTailGator
June 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM

That is what I was thinking anyway.

All SHSU would have to do is host one game there an it could qualify as the host.

I'd love for McNeese and Sam to each give up a home game in consecutive years and play each other in two consecutive years in downtown Houston.

That would be a hell of a lot of fun.

McTailGator
June 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Well, it's a fact...

TSU does not have the capability to host an NCAA championship, especially one in a sport, where they are part of a league that is not an "active player" (if you will) in the championship we are speaking to...do you disagree?

I disagree that they don't (or won't) have the capability.
They probably just won't have the desire. And that is a big difference.

TexasTerror
June 30th, 2008, 04:31 PM
A quasi-update on the TSU/Dynamo stadium situation...

We got a blog from Bernando Fallas...
http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archives/2008/06/a_tsu_regent_on.html

Stems from these remarks by a regent at the TSU Board of Regents meetings calling the Dynamo leadership "sharks"....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5861226.html

Article above also talks about gains by TSU graduate programs in ability to pass licensing exams. Great job TSU on making gains...that's the right direction to head.

TexasTerror
June 30th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I disagree that they don't (or won't) have the capability.
They probably just won't have the desire. And that is a big difference.

McTailGator -- they are so "understaffed" as is, McTail...TSU would need to gain some support from other local institutions (both FBS and FCS) if they want any chance of running a successful event.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM
TexasTerror...

YOU NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION?

TexasTerror
June 30th, 2008, 05:20 PM
TexasTerror...

YOU NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION?

To use the description of Javier Loya, you are a "shark" and I don't deal with sharks well. xnodx

Great job Javier...you really ticked off a lot of people. While TxSo could use the stadium, it'd be hillarious if they did not get it because of Loya. There's a reason he's not involved in the discussions...but then again, having TxSo involved helps the Dynamo politically, because the politicos want to do anything they can to paint them in a positive light of helping the school that has for years not been able to help itself.

McTailGator
July 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
A quasi-update on the TSU/Dynamo stadium situation...

We got a blog from Bernando Fallas...
http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archives/2008/06/a_tsu_regent_on.html

Stems from these remarks by a regent at the TSU Board of Regents meetings calling the Dynamo leadership "sharks"....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5861226.html

Article above also talks about gains by TSU graduate programs in ability to pass licensing exams. Great job TSU on making gains...that's the right direction to head.

And now that Chattanooga is saying they don't want to push the finals back into Christmas, I say we look elsewhere for a city that can and will accommodate us.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM
And now that Chattanooga is saying they don't want to push the finals back into Christmas, I say we look elsewhere for a city that can and will accommodate us.

Where is this article? Maybe I missed it somewhere on the board?

Houston is still a few years away from having a stadium. They have not even drove a shovel into the ground.

Seems Texas Southern and possibly (and more than likely), the Southland Conference, would need to be brought on board...

3rd Coast Tiger
July 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Seems Texas Southern and possibly would need to be brought on board...

xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM
xthumbsupx

Is Texas Southern on board for this one? The only reason they'd need to be brought on board is due to the stadium. I figure the rest would be done by the Southland Conference and its member institution, especially as it relates to manpower -- particularly in the game day operations side of things.

McTailGator
July 10th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Is Texas Southern on board for this one? The only reason they'd need to be brought on board is due to the stadium. I figure the rest would be done by the Southland Conference and its member institution, especially as it relates to manpower -- particularly in the game day operations side of things.

I'd like to see SHSU and McNeese play a game in the new stadium everyother year or so.

It would be great for recruiting for BOTH of us.

That way SHSU can claim it as a home venue and play host to the NCAA.

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM
That way SHSU can claim it as a home venue and play host to the NCAA.

I think SHSU could host a Prairie View A&M, a Lamar or a McNeese in that venue and it would be make sense. Just got to do it right...

SHSU and the Southland have more tools to make this work than a Texas Southern and a SWAC...especially with the SLC having a vested interest in the national championship and having more qualified individuals that have experience in running national championships (SLC has hosted a few NCAA basketball and at least one volleyball national championship in San Antonio -- TxSo has hosted a bowling championship).

3rd Coast Tiger
July 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Oh well, we'll get our "cut" any way you look at it since our name is on the lease. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Oh well, we'll get our "cut" any way you look at it since our name is on the lease. xthumbsupx

That's all you guys care about anyway...

3rd Coast Tiger
July 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
That's all you guys care about anyway...

No it's not. We are human beings. xcoffeex

I guess, the "powers that be" will show compassion and rent it out at no charge because it's the "right thing to do"? xrolleyesx

Where's your business acumen?

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't think that Texas Southern gets much a cut of anything since the Dynamo are the ones who are spending a great deal more on the stadium.

Wouldn't think that a few million dollars by TSU would get them profits from all the non-Dynamo, non-TSU events...

3rd Coast Tiger
July 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't think that Texas Southern gets much a cut of anything since the Dynamo are the ones who are spending a great deal more on the stadium.

Wouldn't think that a few million dollars by TSU would get them profits from all the non-Dynamo, non-TSU events...

So I guess Sam and McNeese would not dress in the stadium or use the Dynamos locker room? Again, where's your business acumen? This is no longer just a football game; this is business kid! Big Business Kid!

Why do you think when the NCAA comes in to a host site they take over everything from ticket sales, when a band can play, what's said by the Public Address Announcer?

Wake up and smell the assets and liabilities kid.

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM
So I guess Sam and McNeese would not dress in the stadium or use the Dynamos locker room? Again, where's your business acumen?

I'm just curious to the contract and how much of the dealings in non-Dynamo/TSU events that TSU would get...

Seems the Dynamo would get the $$$, not Texas Southern. You guys are just renting the stadium essentially IMO...and being used as a political partner to get the job done.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I'm just curious to the contract and how much of the dealings in non-Dynamo/TSU events that TSU would get...

Seems the Dynamo would get the $$$, not Texas Southern. You guys are just renting the stadium essentially IMO...and being used as a political partner to get the job done.

Well, get your hands on a copy of the contract (like I do) and read it for yourself. xrulesx

McTailGator
July 10th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I think SHSU could host a Prairie View A&M, a Lamar or a McNeese in that venue and it would be make sense. Just got to do it right...

SHSU and the Southland have more tools to make this work than a Texas Southern and a SWAC...especially with the SLC having a vested interest in the national championship and having more qualified individuals that have experience in running national championships (SLC has hosted a few NCAA basketball and at least one volleyball national championship in San Antonio -- TxSo has hosted a bowling championship).

Oh I agree the SLC should step up and help.

I know that McNeese's AD would do all that he could.

BUT really with the Greater Houston Sporting Authority paying a lot of the bills and doing MUCH of the work, there would not be much left to do. Those folks are great.

McTailGator
July 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM
No it's not. We are human beings. xcoffeex

I guess, the "powers that be" will show compassion and rent it out at no charge because it's the "right thing to do"? xrolleyesx

Where's your business acumen?

You might be on the lease but the City and the Greater Houston Sports Authority, which will build the thing will probably keep you out of any other events.

I would think the Dynamo will get all the parking, and a lot of the concessions.

houtexan
July 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM
The City of Houston has already committed 15.5million to the project according to news reports. I'd guess that TSU may contribute only a 1/3 of that amount (5 mil or so) to the effort. Will be interesting to see what the final agreement is. With the city, sports authority, and Dynamo involved, it's likely TSU may have nothing more than a place to call home.

Sly Fox
July 11th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I will be shocked if TSU contributes financially to this deal beyond a token amount. Their inclusion in this project is strictly for political purposes. And let's face it, TSU would have a tough time justifying athletic expenditures in light of their current financial predicament.

Hopefully this works out that the stadium is built and both the Dynamo & Tigers can benefit.

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I will be shocked if TSU contributes financially to this deal beyond a token amount. Their inclusion in this project is strictly for political purposes. And let's face it, TSU would have a tough time justifying athletic expenditures in light of their current financial predicament.

Hopefully this works out that the stadium is built and both the Dynamo & Tigers can benefit.

I believe Texas Southern was giving $2-3M for this deal, if I am not mistaken. The figure ran somewhere...

We're almost halfway through July...waiting for 3rd Coast Tiger to come through with his promise of a new TSU web site. They for the better part of two years have been the only Div I school without an updated web site, as far as I can tell or have heard...

3rd Coast Tiger
July 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I believe Texas Southern was giving $2-3M for this deal, if I am not mistaken. The figure ran somewhere...

We're almost halfway through July...waiting for 3rd Coast Tiger to come through with his promise of a new TSU web site. They for the better part of two years have been the only Div I school without an updated web site, as far as I can tell or have heard...

Our piece calls for $2.5M over a 20 yr lease.

In return we keep 100% gate receipts and 75/25 of parking and concessions.

Dyamos and visiting team to have own locker room; Tigers and visiting team to have own locker room.

If/when an entity outside of us or Dynamos utilize the stadium, rental fees shared proportionately. In essence, if our personal locker rooms are needed for utilization, we get a percentage of the rental fee.

TT, what the hell does our website have to do with the NCAA coming in to rent our stadium for a championship game?

Yes, the current website has been updated over the past two years and when the new website is up and running (this month) will you promise not to post here and TSPN for two weeks?

I've already seen and added input into the sungard website design.

Damn dude, talk about being a little b_tch. xnonono2x

3rd Coast Tiger
July 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Contract also calls for our own weight room in the stadium.

Sly Fox
July 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Forgive me asking this question since I am not an NCAA compliance guy, but isn't there some sort of restriction for schools using the name & image of current athletes for profit? I've seen the Bobby Reid billboard and that is the first time I can remember a school so brazenly using a student-athlete. I ask this not as an accusation but as an honest question. I remember other schools like UT and A&M avoiding this type of approach for fear of the NCAA investigators.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Forgive me asking this question since I am not an NCAA compliance guy, but isn't there some sort of restriction for schools using the name & image of current athletes for profit? I've seen the Bobby Reid billboard and that is the first time I can remember a school so brazenly using a student-athlete. I ask this not as an accusation but as an honest question. I remember other schools like UT and A&M avoiding this type of approach for fear of the NCAA investigators.

No problem Sly Fox, TexasTerror is currently on the hotline with Myles Brand now addressing the issue to make sure it becomes one. xthumbsupx

3rd Coast Tiger
July 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Hang up the phone TT...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/image.php?u=5763&type=sigpic&dateline=1202489170

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM
3rd Coast...

You guys have enough NCAA issues at your school to hatch out. I'm not interested in playing a part of the janitorial staff at Texas Southern...

When should we expect a roster? I'm wanting to count all the FBS transfers that Panther88 tells me about.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 11th, 2008, 02:04 PM
When should we expect a roster? I'm wanting to count all the FBS transfers that Panther88 tells me about.

Was that during "pillow talk"? xlolx

Sly Fox
July 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hang up the phone TT...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/image.php?u=5763&type=sigpic&dateline=1202489170

You & I know that is Armanti. But neither his name, full face or jersey number are visible. That's how most advertising approaches the issue. TSU's campaign is the first time I have seen the face and name front & center.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Yes, the current website has been updated over the past two years and when the new website is up and running (this month) will you promise not to post here and TSPN for two weeks?

Error, when are you going to address this?

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Error, when are you going to address this?

Why should I not post for two weeks? When football season gets nearer, that's where my job for CSN picks up...

Can't wait to see the new TSUball.com and yes, the web site has been updated, but the things that those who cover the program seek out is not...unless they put in the special request to the SID or go to the SWAC web site (and that's not always good either, considering not all SIDs do their part in sending the stat files in)...

813Jag
July 12th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I don't think it is. These billboards are spread all over Tampa:
http://blogs.tampabay.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/06/selvie_billboard1.jpg
#95 is current USF All-American DE George Selvie

Edit:There's also billboards of QB Matt Grothe.

DSUrocks07
July 12th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I don't think it is. These billboards are spread all over Tampa:
http://blogs.tampabay.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/06/selvie_billboard1.jpg
#95 is current USF All-American DE George Selvie

Edit:There's also billboards of QB Matt Grothe.

$88? Not bad xthumbsupx @ USF

They know how to market their program, and that a full sold-out stadium looks a lot better on TV as well.

813Jag
July 12th, 2008, 10:39 AM
$88? Not bad xthumbsupx @ USF

They know how to market their program, and that a full sold-out stadium looks a lot better on TV as well.
Yes it does, although the selfish part of me liked being able to walk up to the ticket office less than an hour before game time and get great seats. xlolx

mikebigg
July 12th, 2008, 01:57 PM

I do support an FCS game in Houston, but while it is easier to fly into, is there the community here to support it? Would the SLC really rally behind the event? Chatty isn't that bad a drive from several FCS hot spots and has done a great job of building things up. May not be worth moving unless the NCAA can get a sweetheart of a deal from Houston...

Houston did recently host the NCAA Division II spring sports festival...

Where and why do you come up with some of the stuff you put out in these threads? Is there a conference that handles the administrative and operational things now? Has Tennessee-Chattanooga been involved in the playoffs? xsmhx

mikebigg
July 12th, 2008, 02:09 PM

It's done to promote the school... I don't see how this is any different than media guides that have athletes and their names on the cover. Game day program books that are sold ...they have athletes's picture and names on them.

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Where and why do you come up with some of the stuff you put out in these threads? Is there a conference that handles the administrative and operational things now? Has Tennessee-Chattanooga been involved in the playoffs? xsmhx

MikeBigg, I know you are not familiar with the playoffs, but we are talking about the championship game itself. Tenn-Chattanooga is very critical in the operations of the Division I national title game.

If you knew anything about NCAA championship operations, they serve as the host. Their sports information department (for instance) handles all the media aspects (with some help from other SIDs in the area). Their ticket and marketing people handle the ticket sales and marketing and work with the city of Chatty to promote the game. The game is at their stadium after all, is it not?

I could also give you an example of NCAA basketball tournament games, which I know you are not familiar with either -- considering the SWAC nor schools from the conference have hosted any for sometime, if ever. Want to ask me how much work the Rice and Houston staffs put into the Houston Regional in basketball? I know the folks in New Orleans put a lot of time into their regional with help from the local institutions.

While I will not run individuals under the bus, I believe that TxSo does not have the infrastructure in place to run this NCAA championship event while dealing with their other priorities, such as maintaining the operations at their own school during said lead-up to the event. You just can't do this overnight...

3rd Coast Tiger
July 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Sad...

mikebigg
July 13th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Sad...

My point exactly...

TexasTerror
July 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Sad...

So, educating MikeBigg on how involved the host school is, becomes sad? Find it funny...especially considering it seems both of you were rather clueless on the host school's involvement in the operation and especially you 3rd Coast, who has some sort of inkling that TSU can handle such an event. That's laughable...

mikebigg
July 14th, 2008, 12:11 PM
So, educating MikeBigg on how involved the host school is, becomes sad? Find it funny...especially considering it seems both of you were rather clueless on the host school's involvement in the operation and especially you 3rd Coast, who has some sort of inkling that TSU can handle such an event. That's laughable...

Shouldn't their current athletic director at least have the opportunity to put together a presentation or whatever is done to get consideration to host the game? What if Mr. McClelland wants to do it and feels that he can pull it off? You seem to lobby against them even being a possible host school or department. That's biased and unfair...you don't know their capabilities. You may think you do...but that's not enuff to dismiss them as viable.xnonox

3rd Coast Tiger
July 14th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Shouldn't their current athletic director at least have the opportunity to put together a presentation or whatever is done to get consideration to host the game? What if Mr. McClelland wants to do it and feels that he can pull it off? You seem to lobby against them even being a possible host school or department. That's biased and unfair...you don't know their capabilities. You may think you do...but that's not enuff to dismiss them as viable.xnonox

Mike, on one hand he's giving kudos to our AD whom he calls "Charlie Mac" but never met the man before or even knows if that's a true nickname (he read Panthro mention it and ran with it like he and Charles were separated at birth) as doing what's right to get Texas Southern athletics in order then on the other hand we have to hear this?

Panther88
July 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Mike, on one hand he's giving kudos to our AD whom he calls "Charlie Mac" but never met the man before or even knows if that's a true nickname (he read Panthro mention it and ran with it like he and Charles were separated at birth) as doing what's right to get Texas Southern athletics in order then on the other hand we have to hear this?

*coughing* *that's Panther88 3rdCoast ;) lol*

I hope like HELL the new stadium venue, which I'm sure WILL happen xreadx , hosts the FCS nat'l title game and I'm most certain sTu will be the sole FCS SCHOOL to act as host considering it's their HOME stadium. xreadx

Make it happen sTu! xthumbsupx PV will need the locale when we make our run through the nat'l tourney. lol

3rd Coast Tiger
July 14th, 2008, 04:32 PM
*coughing* *that's Panther88 3rdCoast ;) lol*

I hope like HELL the new stadium venue, which I'm sure WILL happen xreadx , hosts the FCS nat'l title game and I'm most certain sTu will be the sole FCS SCHOOL to act as host considering it's their HOME stadium. xreadx

Make it happen sTu! xthumbsupx PV will need the locale when we make our run through the nat'l tourney. lol

Ricky, to be honest in all likelyhood, a 22K seat stadium won't cut it for a national championship game. The Sports Authority won't even blink with having the game in Reliant over Dynamo/Tiger Stadium.

TexasTerror
July 14th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Ricky, to be honest in all likelyhood, a 22K seat stadium won't cut it for a national championship game. The Sports Authority won't even blink with having the game in Reliant over Dynamo/Tiger Stadium.

Reliant wouldn't work...too big!

And yep, guess sTu could host it. I mean we've all seen schools outsource staff when hosting championships if their staff was not adequate. That could all change when the 'Division I sessions' starts going on on Cleburne... xnodx

Panther88
July 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Reliant wouldn't work...too big!

That's what I'm thinking. It would look empty as hell in Reliant w/ ~25-28K (if that). :( Sort of like present day LDC. xnonono2x

Sly Fox
July 14th, 2008, 08:51 PM
That's what I'm thinking. It would look empty as hell in Reliant w/ ~25-28K (if that). :( Sort of like present day LDC. xnonono2x

Zing!

The NCAA has multiple schools jointly host events in a number of sports. I could see a TSU/PVU/SHSU cooperative handle the event.

McClelland is a nice guy and did a solid job overcoming obstacles out in Prairie View (yes, I have met him on a number of occasions professionally). But he has massive issues on campus to focus on that would make his involvement in hosting a championship game problematic. Hopefully he is able to right the ship for the Tigers. It would be great to have both TSU and PVU competitive in both football & basketball once again.

Panther88
July 15th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Zing!

The NCAA has multiple schools jointly host events in a number of sports. I could see a TSU/PVU/SHSU cooperative handle the event.

McClelland is a nice guy and did a solid job overcoming obstacles out in Prairie View (yes, I have met him on a number of occasions professionally). But he has massive issues on campus to focus on that would make his involvement in hosting a championship game problematic. Hopefully he is able to right the ship for the Tigers. It would be great to have both TSU and PVU competitive in both football & basketball once again.

Scratch mens basketball for PV. I wish we wouldn't attempt to field a team to be honest w/ you. A severe waste of scholarship/salary.xnonono2x

Sly Fox
July 15th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Come on, brother. Games in the Baby Dome against the likes of TSU, Southern & Grambling are a cultural touchstone for the campus. I was actually disappointed they moved the games between PVU & TSU off the campuses to a neutral site. It killed the flavor of the events.

But I completely understand your frustration. Have you been to a TSU game on their campus. Now that is depressing based on its current state. Perhaps having a better venue will energize the alumni base that remains present in town.

Panther88
July 15th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Come on, brother. Games in the Baby Dome against the likes of TSU, Southern & Grambling are a cultural touchstone for the campus. I was actually disappointed they moved the games between PVU & TSU off the campuses to a neutral site. It killed the flavor of the events.

But I completely understand your frustration. Have you been to a TSU game on their campus. Now that is depressing based on its current state. Perhaps having a better venue will energize the alumni base that remains present in town.

sTu will be eons ahead of PV in regards to mens basketball w/ the current staff in place. xreadx Our mens team, the entire gamut, is beyond piss poor. Coaching sux, recruiting sux, players sux, ... refs sux. xlolx We should save major $$$$ and just not field a team. lol

TexasTerror
July 31st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Not sure why UH thinks that anything they do to Robertson would be enough to entice the Houston Dynamo to stay. The Dynamo are so close to that stadium, they can taste it...and of course, the bad part if the Dynamo did decide to stick around (which won't happen), is that TxSo would get pinched out of having a stadium...

Like something out of Field of Dreams, the University of Houston is proposing a $38.7 million addition to Robertson Stadium.

If it builds luxury suites and club seats, a new locker room, offices and classroom space, the school is hoping it can increase attendance at games, raise the school's profile and even boost it into a more desirable athletic conference.

It apparently, however, would not be enough to persuade the Dynamo, Houston's professional soccer team, to remain on campus and drop plans for a stadium of their own.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5916575.html

slycat
July 31st, 2008, 06:55 PM
Not sure why UH thinks that anything they do to Robertson would be enough to entice the Houston Dynamo to stay. The Dynamo are so close to that stadium, they can taste it...and of course, the bad part if the Dynamo did decide to stick around (which won't happen), is that TxSo would get pinched out of having a stadium...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5916575.html

Dynamo need their own stadium for the real money to start rolling in.

TexasTerror
July 31st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Dynamo need their own stadium for the real money to start rolling in.

Yep and they wouldn't have to travel for a Superliga final. Don't understand why the Dynamo are going to New England, makes no sense. A SSS would bring that final to Houston, no questions asked.

TexasTerror
August 20th, 2008, 05:49 PM
City is asking for $$$ from the county...

HOUSTON—The months-long negotiations between the City of Houston and the Houston Dynamo have taken on a new dynamic with a request from Houston Mayor Bill White to the Harris County Commission. He’s asking the county to spend $10 million to help build the stadium.

White told 11 News his reasoning goes like this: If the stadium is built, then land values in the east-of-downtown area near the new stadium will skyrocket (they’ve already doubled in the last three years, he says). Because of that, the county could eventually raise hundreds of millions of dollars in extra tax revenue – and so it should make something of a down-payment on the stadium that would spur the development in question.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou082008_tnt_dynamo_stadium_houston.17bb5143.htm l

TSUalum05
August 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
;) ;) xthumbsupx :D :D :D