View Full Version : GSU plans first football game for 2010

ChooChoo
April 16th, 2008, 09:14 AM
GSU plans first football game for 2010

Student athletic fees raised to fund gridiron program

By ANDREA JONES
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/15/08

Georgia State University's long planned football team is becoming a reality and its students will foot part of the bill.

The Board of Regents on Tuesday approved an $85 increase in Georgia State's athletic fee for fall semester, paving the way for university to play its first game in 2010.

A football team has long been the dream of retiring GSU president Carl Patton, who has overseen dramatic changes at the former-commuter school in his 16 years at the helm.

Still, Patton and other GSU officials declined to comment on Tuesday, preferring to wait until Thursday, when they said an official announcement will be made.

Regents approved tuition and fees for all 35 public colleges and universities at a meeting in Columbus.

Georgia State University's overall fees will go from $494 to $600 in the fall, the largest hike among schools. Georgia Tech's fees will increase by $19, to $592 in the fall. UGA students will pay $24 more, to $587. A committee of Georgia State students approved the proposed jump earlier in 2007.

For several years, the school has been morphing from a commuter-based community into a more traditional university.

By 2015, Patton has said, GSU plans to house 20 percent of its 50,000 full- and part-time students on campus, a sea change for the institution.

Georgia State has raised more than $1 million dollars in pledges toward the football program. The team will likely play its first season in the Georgia Dome.
xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
April 16th, 2008, 09:16 AM
GSU plans first football game for 2010

Student athletic fees raised to fund gridiron program

By ANDREA JONES
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/15/08

Georgia State University's long planned football team is becoming a reality and its students will foot part of the bill.

The Board of Regents on Tuesday approved an $85 increase in Georgia State's athletic fee for fall semester, paving the way for university to play its first game in 2010.

A football team has long been the dream of retiring GSU president Carl Patton, who has overseen dramatic changes at the former-commuter school in his 16 years at the helm.

Still, Patton and other GSU officials declined to comment on Tuesday, preferring to wait until Thursday, when they said an official announcement will be made.

Regents approved tuition and fees for all 35 public colleges and universities at a meeting in Columbus.

Georgia State University's overall fees will go from $494 to $600 in the fall, the largest hike among schools. Georgia Tech's fees will increase by $19, to $592 in the fall. UGA students will pay $24 more, to $587. A committee of Georgia State students approved the proposed jump earlier in 2007.

For several years, the school has been morphing from a commuter-based community into a more traditional university.

By 2015, Patton has said, GSU plans to house 20 percent of its 50,000 full- and part-time students on campus, a sea change for the institution.

Georgia State has raised more than $1 million dollars in pledges toward the football program. The team will likely play its first season in the Georgia Dome.
xthumbsupx

Good deal!!!xthumbsupx

appfan2008
April 16th, 2008, 09:17 AM
that is great to hear from gsu... i hope they can get it going bc there sure is a lot of talent in the area... i hope the dome is not a long term solution...

ChooChoo
April 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
that is great to hear from gsu... i hope they can get it going bc there sure is a lot of talent in the area... i hope the dome is not a long term solution...
I honestly don't know that the Dome is a long term solution for any team in Atlanta. As far as location. it's about as close to Georgia State as any stadium is going to get. It's literally 2 stops down on Marta and a 5 mintue shuttle. No worse really than any sprawling campus would be for it's students. I hope that within the next fifteen years the Dome can be rebuilt as an open air stadium (for the Falcons, Panthers, and MLS). It's certainly already being talked about among the Falcons, but folks cringe at tearing down facilities that are less than 20 years old. If things work out according to some visionaries, the stretch of land between GSU and the Dome will look VERY different in 20 years.
http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view/business/1212gulch/

OL FU
April 16th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Just what we need. One more school arguing over who the real GSU isxrolleyesx ;)

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 10:03 AM

By 2015, Patton has said, GSU plans to house 20 percent of its 50,000 full- and part-time students on campus, a sea change for the institution
$85 x 50,000 = $4,250,000 per year. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

CAA is going to be awfully full come 2010.

bobbythekidd
April 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Just what we need. One more school arguing over who the real GSU isxrolleyesx ;)
I was going to say something about it.xlolx :o

Very Short President
April 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM

It's going to stretch the travel budget to the seams for Maine, UNH, NU, URI, etc. Will this create another push for America East football to keep them local? Gives Stony Brook a better place than....the Big South?!?!

They sure are handling this differently than ODU. I know it was just announced, but there is nothing at all on their sports site: http://www.georgiastatesports.com/

ODU has plans and renderings for stadium renovations, uniforms, coaches, players, even a kickoff logo, and premature predictions of beatdowns for the rest of the CAA. How long till GSU gets in on this?

Eaglesrus
April 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM

No argument; there's only one and it ain't Georgia State.

Bojangles
April 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Whoa whoa whoa, the only GSU is Georgia Southern

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Perhaps Georgia State can schedule Lamar -- two first year programs that will hit the field for the first time in 2010....

Whoa whoa whoa, the only GSU is Georgia Southern

What about Grambling State -- "the ICON". xlolx

ChooChoo
April 16th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Check out the sports page now.
http://www.georgiastatesports.com/
As far as GSU...
http://www.google.com/search?q=GSU&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7RNWN
Somebody better tell Google, the AJC, the Board or Regents, and the time machine going back to 1969 when we became Georgia State UNIVERSITY.

813Jag
April 16th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I only know one GSU, the other I call Grambling. xlolx

mathman
April 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
This is easily settled. See where the url

www.gsu.edu

sends you. That's the real GSU. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Absolutely.

Georgia State has gsu.edu locked up, then Georgia State is the correct GSU.

Georgia Southern shall be GSoU.

mathman
April 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM

I think they are playing loose with the enrollment numbers. Fall enrollment is around is about 27,000, Spring around 26,000 and Summer is around 15,000. But Summer fees are lower. So (27,000 + 26,000) * 85 + 15,000 * 56 = 5,345,000. So assuming enrollment holds up, that will be more that $5 million per year but it will be eaten up by Title IX requirements. I think Georgia State should drop Men's Soccer and maybe another men's sport. Really, I think Title IX is a real albatross for university athletics. I know most college sports are money losers but almost all women's sports are money pits.

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Title IX no longer provides new opportunities for women.

They just take them away from men.

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 01:15 PM
This is easily settled. See where the url

www.gsu.edu

sends you. That's the real GSU. xthumbsupx
I have to say... winner, winner, chicken dinner. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I know most college sports are money losers but almost all women's sports are money pits.
xnodx Has anyone ever given consideration to only including sports in Title IX that are losers financially? Why should a football team that makes $1M a year for the athletic department even count toward Title IX?

BTW, as much as I hate TIX as a fan, I sure love all the oppotunities that are out their for our daughters. xsmiley_wix

gophoenix
April 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM
xnodx Has anyone ever given consideration to only including sports in Title IX that are losers financially? Why should a football team that makes $1M a year for the athletic department even count toward Title IX?

BTW, as much as I hate TIX as a fan, I sure love all the oppotunities that are out their for our daughters. xsmiley_wix

What I don't understand is, since Football in college has allowed female players in I-AA and below, why doesn't it count as co-ed and therefore not count for title ix

blueballs
April 16th, 2008, 02:23 PM

When/if they win their 7th NC they can be the real GSU, until then...

whitey
April 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM
What I don't understand is, since Football in college has allowed female players in I-AA and below, why doesn't it count as co-ed and therefore not count for title ix

I could be wrong, but I think it has more to do with the number of scholarships given to women vs. men has to be in proportion to your male/female enrollment ratio. Whether or not a sport is deemed "co-ed" or not has nothing to do with it.

This is why you see schools with many more Woman's sports than Men's sports. JMU is actually a good example of this. JMU has 6 Men's sports and 11 Woman's Sports. Essentially the scholarships given out to Woman's Cross Country, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Swimming & Diving, Track & Field, and Volleyball make up for the scholarships given to the Football team + the difference in male/female enrollment at JMU (JMU is
60% female).

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I read the title of this thread and I was thinking "oh boy! what kind of opponent are we getting for '10? Is it Montana? Is it Georgia Tech?" only to read this is about "State".

Still, it's pretty cool news.

On another note, do we know they are going to be CAA or are we just assuming. If Chatty wants a "travel buddy", it doesn't get much better than Atlanta.

whitey
April 16th, 2008, 02:46 PM
To stay on the subject, congrats to GSU. It's going to be interesting to see how things shake up in the CAA in 3-4 years.

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
GSU will certainly have a good rivalry with GSoU.

blueballs
April 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM
GSU will certainly have a good rivalry with GSoU.

Doubtful... they'd get smeared like a possum on I-95.

The REAL GSU will likely be headed to FBS before there's ever a game between the two schools.

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM
On another note, do we know they are going to be CAA or are we just assuming. If Chatty wants a "travel buddy", it doesn't get much better than Atlanta.
I think it's a fairly safe assumption since they are already in the CAA for all sports. But they could switch.

SO ILLmatic
April 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I think it's a fairly safe assumption since they are already in the CAA for all sports. But they could switch.

obviously Georgia State would be in the Southern Division of a 14-team CAA. You would have to think ODU would be in the South as well.

What team from the current South Division would get sent to the North???
Seems like Villanova would the first choice for the move.

ChooChoo
April 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Doubtful... they'd get smeared like a possum on I-95.
xlolx

Goodluck with your I-95 recruits! Any speed you were getting inside of I-285 has just been cut off. Mama can't get to Statesboro as easy as she can get to the Dome. Consider the city of Atlanta off your recruiting board.

Oh, and good luck with that move to the FBS. What conference are you going to again? Being Independent with Army and Navy should be fun.
xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
April 16th, 2008, 06:51 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=georgia-state-plans-first-football-game--2010&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

The link is the full text of all three pieces on the AJC.

Georgia State University’s overall fees will go from $494 to $600 in the fall, the largest hike among schools. Georgia Tech’s fees will increase by $19, to $592 in the fall. UGA students will pay $24 more, to $587. A committee of Georgia State students approved the proposed jump earlier in 2007.

ButlerGSU
April 16th, 2008, 06:54 PM
xlolx

Goodluck with your I-95 recruits! Any speed you were getting inside of I-285 has just been cut off. Mama can't get to Statesboro as easy as she can get to the Dome. Consider the city of Atlanta off your recruiting board.

Oh, and good luck with that move to the FBS. What conference are you going to again? Being Independent with Army and Navy should be fun.
xsmiley_wix

I seriously doubt that, any student wanting the full college experience will never stay at Georgia State's campus in a skyscraper...

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 06:56 PM
any student wanting the full college experience

Oh wow.

Is that the best the GSoU marketing department can do? The "full college experience"?

Yeah, what high school student wouldn't want to go out to the farm country to go to GSoU.

Atlanta is so boring!

ButlerGSU
April 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Oh wow.

Is that the best the GSoU marketing department can do? The "full college experience"?

Yeah, what high school student wouldn't want to go out to the farm country to go to GSoU.

Atlanta is so boring!

Says the kid from North Dakota. You should come down and see what I'm talking about before you chime in.

There is a reason 45% of GSU's nearly 17,000 students come from Atlanta.

Baldy
April 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
xlolx

xsmiley_wix

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Yeah, just like the speed from south Florida all of the sudden stayed home for FAU or FIU instead of traveling north to Gainesville or Tallahassee. xlolx

Lets see, where would these recruits rather play...in front of 18K - 20K crowds in Statesboro for a program with a winning and championship tradition or in front of mom and dad and an echo at the GA Dome. xeyebrowx

Seawolf97
April 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM
It's going to stretch the travel budget to the seams for Maine, UNH, NU, URI, etc. Will this create another push for America East football to keep them local? Gives Stony Brook a better place than....the Big South?!?!

They sure are handling this differently than ODU. I know it was just announced, but there is nothing at all on their sports site: http://www.georgiastatesports.com/

ODU has plans and renderings for stadium renovations, uniforms, coaches, players, even a kickoff logo, and premature predictions of beatdowns for the rest of the CAA. How long till GSU gets in on this?

Congratulations to Georgia State! I hope this does tip the balance toward an America East football conference while balancing the CAA as well. It could be interesting in a few years.

ChooChoo
April 16th, 2008, 10:20 PM
xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Yeah, just like the speed from south Florida all of the sudden stayed home for FAU or FIU instead of traveling north to Gainesville or Tallahassee. xlolx

Lets see, where would these recruits rather play...in front of 18K - 20K crowds in Statesboro for a program with a winning and championship tradition or in front of mom and dad and an echo at the GA Dome. xeyebrowx

xlolx Are you comparing Statesboro to Tallahassee and Gainesville? Nice. Athens? Sure, they will always get first pick. Statesboro? We'll see won't we.
As for your crowds, let's see, after 6 championships and 25 years you're averaging 18K-20K a game. How long do you think it will take Georgia State to average that many? My guess is 2 games, but I'm a pessimist.

BTW, thankyou to those around the country for your enthusiasm. This is an exciting time for Georgia State. Besides the few from Georgie Southern who rain on parades, we appreciate the support.

eaglewraith
April 16th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Oh wow.

Atlanta is so boring!

Are you really still butt hurt because we use grass which is superior to turf?

Baldy
April 16th, 2008, 11:37 PM
xlolx Are you comparing Statesboro to Tallahassee and Gainesville? Nice. Athens? Sure, they will always get first pick. Statesboro? We'll see won't we.
As for your crowds, let's see, after 6 championships and 25 years you're averaging 18K-20K a game. How long do you think it will take Georgia State to average that many? My guess is 2 games, but I'm a pessimist.

BTW, thankyou to those around the country for your enthusiasm. This is an exciting time for Georgia State. Besides the few from Georgie Southern who rain on parades, we appreciate the support.

Its called an analogy, Einstein.

An analogy between traditional football powers like Florida, FSU, and GSU to nobodies like FAU, FIU, and Georgia State. The only real problem is that GA State is much more like Armstrong State or Augusta State than than it is to either Florida Atlantic or Florida International. xlolx

Speaking of crowds, lets try an actual comparison, and this is a glaring example of the pure apathy present at GA State. In the middle of downtown Atlanta and in the middle of a metro area that has over 4,000,000 people (20,000 or so attend your school), your basketball team was only able to draw a little over 1100 people per game. On the other hand, GSU in a rural community of at the most 60,000 were able to almost double GA State's attendance.

With the known apathy regarding your athletic program, do you actually expect 20,000 GA State "fans" to show up? xnutsx

Yeah...good luck with that. xlolx

seantaylor
April 17th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Oh wow.

Atlanta is so boring!

Everybody that goes to Ga State is like 39. No football player will want to go there where his prospects of hooking up with a classmate include a twice divorced single mom, and a female trucker switching careers.

jmu_duke07
April 17th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Atlanta is a sh#t hole. Everybody that goes to Ga State is like 39. No football player will want to go there where his prospects of hooking up with a classmate include a twice divorced single mom, and a female trucker switching careers.

Harsh words...

DFW HOYA
April 17th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Everybody that goes to Ga State is like 39. No football player will want to go there where his prospects of hooking up with a classmate include a twice divorced single mom, and a female trucker switching careers.

Florida State was a women's college well into the 1940's. One of the first things they did when going coed was forming a football team, so it's likely that Georgia State's demographics can be affected by football as well.

blueballs
April 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'm sure Georgia State, which is largely a commuter school with no facilities and no tradition, will do very well competing in the same division as FCS heavyweights Georgia Southern, Furman, Wofford, who are all w/in reasonable driving distance; and BCS programs Georgia Tech and UGA (who routinely draws 90k+), who are both within 70 miles. I am certain they will dominate right away and make everybody forget about 6 time NC Georgia Southern (in their division) and perenial top 10 BCS UGA in the state of Georgia.xrolleyesx

Monarch Nation
April 17th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Choo Choo, I don't post on the CAAZone anymore (too much BS for me) so I'll say it here. I had been holding off congratulating you for getting football since there was no official announcement and it was dependent on a BOV vote. But since that vote has passed and the announcement has been made, A hearty "Congratulations!" is in order. We at Old Dominion know how you feel right now and are glad to have you in the "newbie" mix for football.

Now for the bad news, we're both going to get our asses kicked for a few years. xlolx

ChooChoo
April 17th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Choo Choo, I don't post on the CAAZone anymore (too much BS for me) so I'll say it here. I had been holding off congratulating you for getting football since there was no official announcement and it was dependent on a BOV vote. But since that vote has passed and the announcement has been made, A hearty "Congratulations!" is in order. We at Old Dominion know how you feel right now and are glad to have you in the "newbie" mix for football.

Now for the bad news, we're both going to get our asses kicked for a few years. xlolx

xlolx NO Doubt!
I am fully prepared to see Georgia State get their collective jocks handed to them for more than one season. I hope I'm not presenting too many thoughts otherwise (I just love the reactions this announcement is producing amongst one particular school). Is GSU going to begin football as world beaters? Not a chance. Are we going to effect the recruiting pipeline into Atlanta? We'll just have to wait and see won't we. xsmiley_wix

The most destructive element in the human mind is fear. Fear creates aggressiveness. - Dorothy Thompson

eaglefan3510
April 17th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I for one say congrats to Georgia State. I'll be honest, when this discussion came up a year or so ago I wasn't sure if it would ever come to fruition. You guys have obviously got your act together enough to get it this far. I remember another school that started up a football program about 26 years ago and it worked out pretty well for them. I recommend going to get the DC from UGA to be your first head coach. As far as the recruiting battle goes, as you say, only time will tell. I'm looking forward to a little in-state rivalry... save room on the 2010 schedule for the boys from Statesboro. However, don't ever expect me to refer to ya'll as GSU.

89Hen
April 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
WOW, this is more entertaining than NDSU and UND fans and Georgia State doesn't even have a team yet.

I think the Eagle fans are perhaps a little worried. xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix :p

bobbythekidd
April 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
WOW, this is more entertaining than NDSU and UND fans and Georgia State doesn't even have a team yet.

At first it was some in-state smack, but it is getting worse.

Carry on.xreadx

ChickenMan
April 17th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I'm sure Georgia State, which is largely a commuter school with no facilities and no tradition, will do very well competing in the same division as FCS heavyweights Georgia Southern, Furman, Wofford, who are all w/in reasonable driving distance; and BCS programs Georgia Tech and UGA (who routinely draws 90k+), who are both within 70 miles. I am certain they will dominate right away and make everybody forget about 6 time NC Georgia Southern (in their division) and perenial top 10 BCS UGA in the state of Georgia.xrolleyesx

of course they will.. they're in the CAA... :D

OL FU
April 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
xlolx

xsmiley_wix

So Choo Choo, are you a Mocs fanxconfusedx ;)

ButlerGSU
April 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I for one say congrats to Georgia State. I'll be honest, when this discussion came up a year or so ago I wasn't sure if it would ever come to fruition. You guys have obviously got your act together enough to get it this far. I remember another school that started up a football program about 26 years ago and it worked out pretty well for them. I recommend going to get the DC from UGA to be your first head coach. As far as the recruiting battle goes, as you say, only time will tell. I'm looking forward to a little in-state rivalry... save room on the 2010 schedule for the boys from Statesboro. However, don't ever expect me to refer to ya'll as GSU.

I'm sure Brian Van Gorder would be interested in the job... I think he'd be great!

bobbythekidd
April 17th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I'm sure Brian Van Gorder would be interested in the job... I think he'd be great!
Impossible. They have no traditions he could crap on. He would be a fish out of water.

mathman
April 17th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Yeah, it's natural in-state rivalry. Georgia State is not at the level athletically or academically with Georgia or Georgia Tech so it falls to schools like Georgia Southern, Mercer, and soon Kennesaw State.

But what made it worse is when the Georgia BOR made Georgia Southern a university. Maybe they didn't realize or thought it a non-issue what a problem it would be having two GSU's in the university system. It's been a while but I think Georgia Southern tried to wrest control of the acronym GSU from Georgia State claiming that most Georgians associate GSU with Georgia Southern. Now it seems that both administrations are trying to make peace by backing off from using the GSU acronym. But that is a shame since Georgia State was the first and was GSU for more than 20 years before Georgia Southern's name change. And GSU is recognized as Georgia State by the Georgia BOR. Georgia State should find out who registered its domain as gsu.edu and have his or her name in a place of honor.xbowx

eaglefan3510
April 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Impossible. They have no traditions he could crap on. He would be a fish out of water.

True. However, he'd be good at taking the best player on their team and putting him in a position where he could never touch the ball. And you'd only have to put up with him for a maximum of one season.

Seriously, is there a short-list of potential coaches? That will have a lot to do with their initial success both on the field and with recruiting. Don't I recall Dan Reeves being involved in some capacity?

bobbythekidd
April 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
If memory serves Reeves was hired as a consultant and the article I read intentionally left it very open ended if he was being considered for a coaching postition.

Do I have that right Choo Choo?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=how-georgia-state-can-be-successful-in-f&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

3. Make it your goal to eventually play in the Southern Conference: The Colonial Athletic Association is a fine league but college football is built around rivalries. All of Georgia State’s natural rivalries in I-AA football (Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Chattanooga, Furman) are in the Southern Conference. When Georgia State’s new president arrives (Dr. Carl Patton retires in June) later this year, he or she should start reaching out to the fellow presidents in the Southern Conference to determine what it is going to take to gain membership. Then do it. Whatever it takes. Whatever it costs.

xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx

I can't WAIT to see the reaction to this piece of news...

PantherRob82
April 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM
What if Van Gorder took over and beat GSU every year? xlolx

catdaddy2402
April 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=how-georgia-state-can-be-successful-in-f&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx

I can't WAIT to see the reaction to this piece of news...

No way that happens. Georgia State isn't a small private school.

blueballs
April 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
What if Van Gorder took over and beat GSU every year? xlolx

He couldn't beat his meat if he were in jail, let alone any decent college football team.

ButlerGSU
April 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
He couldn't beat his meat if he were in jail, let alone any decent college football team.

Rep points for that one blue!

813Jag
April 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Good one. xlolx
xoutofrepx

trusty
April 17th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it's natural in-state rivalry. Georgia State is not at the level athletically or academically with Georgia or Georgia Tech so it falls to schools like Georgia Southern, Mercer, and soon Kennesaw State.

But what made it worse is when the Georgia BOR made Georgia Southern a university. Maybe they didn't realize or thought it a non-issue what a problem it would be having two GSU's in the university system. It's been a while but I think Georgia Southern tried to wrest control of the acronym GSU from Georgia State claiming that most Georgians associate GSU with Georgia Southern. Now it seems that both administrations are trying to make peace by backing off from using the GSU acronym. But that is a shame since Georgia State was the first and was GSU for more than 20 years before Georgia Southern's name change. And GSU is recognized as Georgia State by the Georgia BOR. Georgia State should find out who registered its domain as gsu.edu and have his or her name in a place of honor.xbowx

mine's bigger than yours:p

The Cats
April 17th, 2008, 04:01 PM
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics5/400/VR/VRCAZHNYRCHHKFJ.20080416153031.jpg

Congrats to Georgia State.... the GSU

ChooChoo
April 17th, 2008, 05:16 PM
It appears doubtful that Coach Reeves will actually be coaching the team. He may still have an operational position however. They're keeping it all pretty close to the vest still. BUT, "sources" say that the list of coaching candidates may be longer and more experienced than you might think. I've personally been in contact with a former "Prized" SEC quarterback that's expressed much interest. xwhistlex
As for some of you GaSouthern guys, just wanted you to know that I'm not anti-Southern. Heck, I was born and raised south of the gnat line. I've always rooted for you guys and I will be pulling for you this fall in Athens too. With that being said, I detest stereotypical Georgia State rhetoric. Tradition is relative. You can get an education, drunk, a girl, or kicked-out their as good as you can in the Boro.
Try it before you knock it. xpeacex

Bojangles
April 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I hope GSt gets GSU as their first game, so we can give you your first lose.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Not a whole lot more worried than when Savannah State joined DI. Seriously though, no one is trying to knock G State as a school, but I just don't think they can attract a lot of football players. It's not exactly a very popular choice for kids fresh out of high school or people that live outside of the Atlanta area. And I don't think (correct me if I am wrong) that they will have facilities to compete with SEC teams or even SoCon and CAA teams. And building is very expensive on the campus (they recently finished a $170 million dollar facility that houses 2000 students.)

paward
April 19th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Not a whole lot more worried than when Savannah State joined DI. Seriously though, no one is trying to knock G State as a school, but I just don't think they can attract a lot of football players. It's not exactly a very popular choice for kids fresh out of high school or people that live outside of the Atlanta area. And I don't think (correct me if I am wrong) that they will have facilities to compete with SEC teams or even SoCon and CAA teams. And building is very expensive on the campus (they recently finished a $170 million dollar facility that houses 2000 students.)

I do not think it will hurt GSU, Tech or UGA recruiting, but it will give the players in the metro area a good viable options.

JaxSinfonian
April 19th, 2008, 08:57 AM
For that first game, you could do much worse than to hop on I-20 and take a short trip west to Paul Snow Stadium. I'd be happy to do the return trip as well.

Jacksonville State will be your nearest possible FCS opponent, at least until Kennessaw State starts up or West Georgia moves up.

I enjoyed the basketball series between Jax State & Georgia State back in the Atlantic Sun days. Despite the comments here about being a commuter school, GSU always seemed to being a respectable number of folks over for roundball games.

Congrats. Hope to see you on the schedule soon.

MplsBison
April 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I hope GSt gets GSU as their first game, so we can give you your first lose.

GSU vs. GSoU would be a fun game to see in the Georgia Dome.

And fyi, GSU = Georgia State U and GSoU = Georgia Southern U.

Baldy
April 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM
GSU vs. GSoU would be a fun game to see in the Georgia Dome.

And fyi, GSU = Georgia State U and GSoU = Georgia Southern U.

We could make it a double header with UND vs. NoDakStU in the first game. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
April 19th, 2008, 02:55 PM
The criteria for being allowed to use initials is that your school has registered those initials for its .edu website.

Georgia State's website is www.gsu.edu, hence Georgia State gets to use GSU.

North Dakota State's website is www.ndsu.edu, hence North Dakota State gets to use NDSU.

And so on.

BlazerDawg
April 19th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Congrats to Georgia State on getting their program going. It'll be interesting to see how this impacts the University System of Georgia in the long run if State gets it rocking in a short time frame.

We can thank former Chancellor Meredith for completely befuddling the naming system in the USG. Let's just be glad that he took his goat roping menagerie to the Mississippi IHL. At least he can only screw up eight institutions there instead monkeying with what is now the 35 institutions of the USG.

Baldy
April 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM
The criteria for being allowed to use initials is that your school has registered those initials for its .edu website.

Georgia State's website is www.gsu.edu, hence Georgia State gets to use GSU.

North Dakota State's website is www.ndsu.edu, hence North Dakota State gets to use NDSU.

And so on.
According to whom? You? xlolx

Georgia Southern has always been referred to as GSU on this message board long before Georgia State even thought about playing football, AND long before NoDakStU ever thought about playing I-AA, now FCS football. So by default and through historical references, Georgia Southern University will ALWAYS be known as GSU on this message board. Period. xthumbsupx

paward
April 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Ok GSU is Georgia Southern until Georgia State enters the picture. In case you have not seen it Georgia State will not play in the CAA until 2012. Here is the link: http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=12700&KEY=&ATCLID=1441410&SPID=5671&SPSID=104979