PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Hires HOK Sport to Study Facilities Upgrades

93henfan
April 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080416/SPORTS07/804160325/1002/SPORTS&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

By KEVIN TRESOLINI • The News Journal • April 16, 2008

NEWARK -- University of Delaware has hired HOK Sport, one of the world's leading sports architectural firms, to study how the school can best enhance its athletic facilities, including its football stadium, athletic director Edgar Johnson said Tuesday...

NYJMUSupporter
April 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM
And the FCS arms race continues! With JMU, APP State, W&M, Montana and others dramatically improving their facilities, FCS is going to become a much more attractive destination for recruits.

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM
What the list of things that UD fans would like see?

End zone facility (lockers, weight room, training room, officies, meeting rooms, etc.)?

Obviously fieldturf

Suites?

Loge boxes?

Club seats?

Increased capacity?

93henfan
April 16th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Well, #1 would be a scoreboard that works!xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
April 16th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I agree about the scoreboard, but i'm not sure about the artificial turf. They just put down a new field not too long ago and i'm a fan of reall grass.

93henfan
April 16th, 2008, 09:05 AM
But seriously:

1. Improved media facilities/boxes. Our current high school press box is a joke and ESPN commentators have no problem mentioning it on the air!
2. Scoreboard w/ video replay.
3. Weight rooms/offices/support facilities.
4. Then go to work on the stadium seating. I think we could support a 35K seat stadium. Navy/MC Mem Stadium is a good model, IMO.

Ivytalk
April 16th, 2008, 09:23 AM
But seriously:

1. Improved media facilities/boxes. Our current high school press box is a joke and ESPN commentators have no problem mentioning it on the air!
4. Then go to work on the stadium seating. I think we could support a 35K seat stadium. Navy/MC Mem Stadium is a good model, IMO.

That's a good list. UD needs those things to stay competitive.xpeacex

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Obviously fieldturf
Nice try Mpls. xnonox xnonox xnonox

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 10:07 AM
But seriously:

Acutally, if they do improve the stadium, I hope the keep the same press box or make it worse. Screw the prima donna press. xmadx

Increased seating is #1 priority for me. Video board would be OK. The ability to show out of town scores would be nice. Support facilities is a must.

andy7171
April 16th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I agree about the scoreboard, but i'm not sure about the artificial turf. They just put down a new field not too long ago and i'm a fan of reall grass.

SSSSHHHHHHHH!!!! Don't let mpls hear you! He is adament about the players liking the artificial stuff better. You and me are in the minority in MPLSworld.

Ivytalk
April 16th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Field turf at Delaware Stadium?? Forbid it, almighty God! As former Phillie Dick "Don't call me Richie" Allen used to say, "If a cow can't eat it, I don't wanna play on it!":p

Maroon&White
April 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Acutally, if they do improve the stadium, I hope the keep the same press box or make it worse. Screw the prima donna press. xmadx

I've never understood why people and schools want to improve press boxes. I highly doubt any incoming recruits care about it, so it won't help in recruiting. How many people will benefit from a new press box, 20, 30, 40? Why not spend money on improving something like the stands, restrooms or concessions, something for the paying customers. Or support facilities such as a weight room, training room and offices, something that will benefit players, recruits and coaches. I agree with you 89, screw the prima dona press (though I wouldn't make it worse).

93henfan
April 16th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I think a recruit's decision on which school to attend is based on a number of things. The school with the best package, in his mind, wins. Sure, the press box may just be bling, but I can tell you it's not fun when ESPN cuts away to Sean McDonough and he's huddled up with the commentator next to him in a dinky little box with the paint cracking on the walls behind him and they both are kind of chuckling about this game they got sent to cover in Division II.xmadx

NYJMUSupporter
April 16th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Improved press box= more coverage for your university. Nice press facilities also improve your chances of hosting games and for getting your games televised.

SoCon48
April 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080416/SPORTS07/804160325/1002/SPORTS&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

NEWARK -- University of Delaware has hired HOK Sport, one of the world's leading sports architectural firms, to study how the school can best enhance its athletic facilities, including its football stadium, athletic director Edgar Johnson said Tuesday...

So, hen, what do you think they will say to do for the stadium?

Maroon&White
April 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Improved press box= more coverage for your university. Nice press facilities also improve your chances of hosting games and for getting your games televised.

You really think the press will stay away from a school because its press box isn't in great condition? So will a winning team with a ****ty pressbox get less media attention then a losing team with a new pressbox?

DRocksDad
April 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM
IMHO. the priority shoudl be placed on what gets better recruits or makes them better players.

1. weight room, offices, locker rooms, academic faciliities etc. JMUs building is perfect.
2. turf (saves tons of $s on maintnenace and reduces injury). THe only arguement to not do turf is if it gives you an advantage. an examle woudl be a northern team. the visitors struggle.
3. club seats and other money makers
4. teh rest of the stadium like seating, pressbox, score boards etc.

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
You really think the press will stay away from a school because its press box isn't in great condition? So will a winning team with a ****ty pressbox get less media attention then a losing team with a new pressbox?
xthumbsupx The game cameras aren't in the press box. The recuits aren't taken to the press box. The fans don't sit in the press box. It's at the bottom of the list for me.

93henfan
April 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
So, hen, what do you think they will say to do for the stadium?

The purported insiders on gohens.net (the UD fan board) say that it'll be an upgrade at the present location. Knock down a side at a time, put in a double deck on each side, finally add real seating (as opposed to ten rows of bleachers) in the north end zone, and possibly tie into the Bob Carpenter Center in the south end zone, adding enough seating to give flexibility to stay at current level or explore a move-up if the right opportunity came along.

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
The purported insiders on gohens.net (the UD fan board) say that it'll be an upgrade at the present location. Knock down a side at a time, put in a double deck on each side, finally add real seating (as opposed to ten rows of bleachers) in the north end zone, and possibly tie into the Bob Carpenter Center in the south end zone, adding enough seating to give flexibility to stay at current level or explore a move-up if the right opportunity came along.
Sheesh, I need to check in there. That would be the WORST idea I've heard in a long time. So for three seasons we could be without half the stadium. xsmhx There's way too much land around the stadium that IF they are going to replace the whole thing anyway, they may as well start from scratch and leave the current in place until the new one is ready. The ONLY reason to do this is to be able to use the Bob for an endzone, but that's pointless IMO. xcoolx

93henfan
April 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Before you expend too much effort 89, I did say "purported". No one really knows what's going to happen yet. I would hope that the big money going to HOK will lead to the best solution.

One way to avoid diminished capacity is to build the NEZ first, to bring NEZ and one side to 22K. Then you'd only have to worry about each side sitting in the NEZ for one season.

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Nice try Mpls. xnonox xnonox xnonox

It's coming to a stadium near you.

It's out of your control. Time to come to grips with that.

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Before you expend too much effort 89, I did say "purported". No one really knows what's going to happen yet. I would hope that the big money going to HOK will lead to the best solution.

One way to avoid diminished capacity is to build the NEZ first, to bring NEZ and one side to 22K. Then you'd only have to worry about each side sitting in the NEZ for one season.
No problem. I love being able to even discuss the possibility of the discussions starting for possible discussion of facility improvements. xsmiley_wix

My big fear of piece-mealing the stadium is that it will take longer, be messier, and we'd end up with something that isn't quite as good if it were done from the floor up.

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM

So is electronic scoring at the Masters. xcoffeex The ONLY reason to have fieldturf at UD is if they plan on using the field for soccer, lacrosse and field hockey. Currently they all have their own fields. If you have a football only stadium, there is no reason to go fake.

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Sure there is.

It looks 20x better than brown grass.

It helps recruiting.

It saves joints.

It saves money.

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Sure there is.

It helps recruiting.

It saves joints.

It saves money.
Opinion (and I think the fake stuff looks absolutely horrible)

Opinion (so does having a field that doesn't have lacrosse, soccer and field hockey lines on it because you are trying to justify the massive expense of laying an artificial field)

No proof (NFLPA actually disagrees with you, but who are they?)

No proof (Yes, the annual upkeep of grass is more, but the intial outlay of fake stuff makes up for it. When all these schools who put down fieldturf in the last 5 years have to start replacing it in another 5, you'll see there is probably no savings)

xcoffeex

SunCoastBlueHen
April 16th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Sure there is.

It helps recruiting.

It saves joints.

It saves money.

Opinion (and I think the fake stuff looks absolutely horrible)

Opinion (so does having a field that doesn't have lacrosse, soccer and field hockey lines on it because you are trying to justify the massive expense of laying an artificial field)

No proof (NFLPA actually disagrees with you, but who are they?)

No proof (Yes, the annual upkeep of grass is more, but the intial outlay of fake stuff makes up for it. When all these schools who put down fieldturf in the last 5 years have to start replacing it in another 5, you'll see there is probably no savings)

xcoffeex

This is like deva vu all over again. xrotatehx

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
This is like deva vu all over again. xrotatehx
You are correct. Last time we provided mpls with all kinds of info from people who actually play on the stuff, but he wasn't interested then, I'm not sure why he'd listen now.

UD77
April 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM
New score board is supposedly planned for the start of 2008. Yet to be seen what level of video it is.

Pretty good bet that we will have field turf. The new President is set on it. He wants to used the stadium for more than just football and to allow for more practices, multi-use, other sports, high school games you name it.

Unfortunately, we just got done re-doing the real grass field for a tune or around $1Mil. Could have had the field turf put in. Currently we are puting in two practice fields with field turf. Changes are coming.

Games have been sold out since KC took over from Tubby (2001). Could easily add an additional 5K in seating. I for one will miss being as close to field as we currently are. New stadium will have to have less of an incline.

SunCoastBlueHen
April 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Pretty good bet that we will have field turf. The new President is set on it. He wants to used the stadium for more than just football and to allow for more practices, multi-use, other sports, high school games you name it.

Unfortunately, we just got done re-doing the real grass field for a tune or around $1Mil.

To help offset the expense, they could cut the current field into strips of sod and then sell pallets of it at auction. I would bet there are a few diehards out their that would pay to have Tubby Raymond Field in their back yards. :p

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM

Unfortunately, we just got done re-doing the real grass field for a tune or around $1Mil. Could have had the field turf put in. Currently we are puting in two practice fields with field turf. Changes are coming.

There you go 89.

Bitch and moan all you want, change is just around the corner and there is nothing you can do about it short of criminal action.

But go ahead and supply me with those "facts" showing that NFL players like real grass better when the actual fact is that the vast majority of NFL players prefer new style artificial turf.

DRocksDad
April 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I have never heard anyone choose grass over turf if only for maintenance and decrease in injury. However, I do wonder about two things.

1. for actual games its probably fine but practicing for hours. day in and day out on turf has to be problematic where the weather gets hot. I recall being on MD's red practice turf field in july for a camp and it was SCORCHING hot from all the rubber pellets. that has to cause problems with feet.

2. I also wonder if and when they discover these fields dont last as long as suggested by the manufacturer or contractors that put them in. I had a long converstoin with on contractor as they were doing W&Ms field last summer. (agian, another camp for my sons) Being in contracting myself, i wonder if each program is doing it right. drainage is very critical to the life of the turf im sure. W&M was installing a trench drain around the entire perimeter.

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM
There you go 89.

Bitch and moan all you want, change is just around the corner and there is nothing you can do about it short of criminal action.

But go ahead and supply me with those "facts" showing that NFL players like real grass better when the actual fact is that the vast majority of NFL players prefer new style artificial turf.
Like I said, the ONLY reason to do it is if you are planning on hosting a lot of sports and events on it. You have very selective reading. As for the NFL players I ALREAY POSTED IT complete with pretty colors so even you could understand it. I'm not about to redo the whole post, but I will try to find it. xcoffeex

SoCon48
April 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM

Sports writer to his editor, "But boss, I don't want to cover the Delaware App-State game because their press box is to small."
Not gonna happen.

89Hen
April 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Like I said, the ONLY reason to do it is if you are planning on hosting a lot of sports and events on it. You have very selective reading. As for the NFL players I ALREAY POSTED IT complete with pretty colors so even you could understand it. I'm not about to redo the whole post, but I will try to find it. xcoffeex
Wasn't too hard to find the post that you OBVIOUSLY IGNORED last time....

This post shows which NFL fields are considered BY THE PLAYERS to be the best. Very top heavy with grass fields...
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=572307&postcount=27

This one quotes the NFLPA with...
"The union survery 1,511 of its players during the year, and more than 61% of the respondents had negative reviews of artificial surfaces...

The players overwhelmingly, with 72.7% of the votes, endorsed grass as the best surface on which to play. And for new artificial surfaces, 48.3% of the players advocated a softer feel (vs. 18.5% for firmer).

The long and short of it: Here are the five most common comments players made while answering the questions:
1. Make all fields grass to prevent injuries"
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=572309&postcount=28

But, you'll probably just ignore it again. Don't ask players, ask mpls. xcoffeex

UAalum72
April 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Fieldturf looks better than real grass in the same way that an air-brushed centerfold photo looks better than an in-person Playmate of the Year; up close they don't smell or feel the same.

not that I've every smelled or felt a Playmate of the year, but still...

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah I'm sure players give a rat' behind if they don't smell actual grass when they're playing.

UAalum72
April 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah I'm sure players give a rat' behind if they don't smell actual grass when they're playing.
More than they care about how pretty it looks. Take it from somebody who took a few faceplants. I'd rather be spitting up dirt than those little pellets of recycled tires.

DRocksDad
April 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM
More than they care about how pretty it looks. Take it from somebody who took a few faceplants. I'd rather be spitting up dirt than those little pellets of recycled tires.

it may not be the look or the smell but TURF WINS RECRUITS! Its amazing how much facilities play into impressing recruits. Get em in the door and who cares what they think about turf afterwards.

RadMann
April 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I posted this story yesterday in the stadium improvements thread. It is about time, but I have not seen an actual stadium upgrade plan yet. I'm not holding my breath until I do.

GannonFan
April 16th, 2008, 09:13 PM

We have a problem hosting games and getting televised games at Delaware? :p :p :p :p

Seawolf97
April 16th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Good choice with HOK. Stonybrook just went to contract with them to re do our basktball arena to the tune of 20 million. It will be a state of the art facility ready for the 2009 -2010- season not bad for team that hasnt won more than 9 games a season in the last 3 years. HOK is doing the new Yankee Stadium and the new Shea Stadium as well. Check the Stonybrook web site for more info.

YoUDeeMan
April 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Double post.

YoUDeeMan
April 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Fieldturf looks better than real grass in the same way that an air-brushed centerfold photo looks better than an in-person Playmate of the Year; up close they don't smell or feel the same.

not that I've every smelled or felt a Playmate of the year, but still...

xlolx xlolx

I remember when Hustler put out a scratch and sniff centerfold. My first thought was, "What the f***?????". How and why would they do that???? xconfusedx My second thought was, "OK, now THAT I have to check out." xthumbsupx

Of course, when you scratched the “natural turf area”, it smell like a lilac or some other flower. I didn't know whether to be relieved or disappointed. :p

RadMann
April 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Good choice with HOK. Stonybrook just went to contract with them to re do our basktball arena to the tune of 20 million. It will be a state of the art facility ready for the 2009 -2010- season not bad for team that hasnt won more than 9 games a season in the last 3 years. HOK is doing the new Yankee Stadium and the new Shea Stadium as well. Check the Stonybrook web site for more info.

HOK did UD's current basketball arena about 15 years ago, so there's familiarity with the company at UD as well.

DRocksDad
April 16th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I would guess HOK is involved with 50%+ of all stadiums. The dominate the industry.

OhioHen
April 17th, 2008, 06:54 AM
But seriously:

Don't insult high school press boxes!! xsmhx

The press box at the HS my kids attend is much nicer than what is available at The Tub, and there are others in the Cincinnati area that are better still. Anyone doubt that most decent-size Texas high schools have better facilities?

89Hen
April 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Wasn't too hard to find the post that you OBVIOUSLY IGNORED last time....

This post shows which NFL fields are considered BY THE PLAYERS to be the best. Very top heavy with grass fields...
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=572307&postcount=27

This one quotes the NFLPA with...
"The union survery 1,511 of its players during the year, and more than 61% of the respondents had negative reviews of artificial surfaces...

The players overwhelmingly, with 72.7% of the votes, endorsed grass as the best surface on which to play. And for new artificial surfaces, 48.3% of the players advocated a softer feel (vs. 18.5% for firmer).

The long and short of it: Here are the five most common comments players made while answering the questions:
1. Make all fields grass to prevent injuries"
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=572309&postcount=28

But, you'll probably just ignore it again. Don't ask players, ask mpls. xcoffeex
Crickets from mpls. Do you have any facts that would back up your claim that the players prefer artificial turf? xcoffeex

MplsBison
April 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Obviously, in light of your data, the current NFL rosters are too old to accept the inevitable changes and are lashing out via survey.

I don't care what the fans and players think.

Turf is coming whether they and you like it or not. I don't care, that's just the way it is.

Now go to your corner to sulk.

ButlerGSU
April 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Not to places that

1. Can afford to maintain their natural playing surface.
2. Have weather that allows them the luxury of natural grass.

Fortunately for Georgia Southern we have both xsmiley_wix

App State has a great field but if their weather allowed them, I bet you they would prefer natural turf but the weather in Boone late in the season just does not allow for it.

AppMan
April 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Back in November, during a discussion on the facility upgrades taking place at JMU & ASU, I mentioned Delaware was looking at possibly upgrading their stadium. I was soundly chastised by several Delaware fans telling me I didn't know what I was talking about since they had not been made aware of any such plans. How does someone way down here in North Carolina get the scoop on the Delaware Nation?

BDKJMU
April 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
it may not be the look or the smell but TURF WINS RECRUITS! Its amazing how much facilities play into impressing recruits. Get em in the door and who cares what they think about turf afterwards.

When I heard about how JMU had turf about 15 years ago that was a big negative factor for me going to play there. I ended up going anyway, but all I heard and read when I was in HS (late 80s-early 90s) was:
-turf SUCKED to play on compared to grass (rug burns, strawberries, etc)
-more injuries and more serious injuries.

When I got to JMU my opinion of turf sure as hell didn't change. That old JMU turf sucked. I know they got newer style turf now, but its still fake. Don't see how turf would win recruits. If you asked them, would you rather play on a surface that is prettier or nicer to play on, most would say the nicer to play on. If I was a recruit and had to choose between 2 schools, one turf and one grass, and EVERYTHING else was equal (academics, program, facilities, coaches, university life, location, etc-I know, an impossibility) I would choose the one that had grass, hands down.

Football wasn't meant to be played in domes or fake grass- its a bastardization of the game.

MplsBison
April 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I agree about the old style astroturf. Horrible stuff.

The new style turf isn't anything like that.

The quality rankings go about like this:

1 new style turf
2 grass

80 astroturf
81 broken shards of glass

phillyAPP
April 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Back in November, during a discussion on the facility upgrades taking place at JMU & ASU, I mentioned Delaware was looking at possibly upgrading their stadium. I was soundly chastised by several Delaware fans telling me I didn't know what I was talking about since they had not been made aware of any such plans. How does someone way down here in North Carolina get the scoop on the Delaware Nation?

How do he know?

Tell us APPMAN

AppMan
April 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM
How do he know?

Tell us APPMAN

I got people! ;>)

RadMann
April 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM

There's no Delaware nation and the hiring of the firm was recent by all reports. Every year UD fans claim there is a study, so chances are you just guessed right.

bluehenbillk
April 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Great news coming out of Newark.

89Hen
April 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Obviously, in light of your data, the current NFL rosters are too old to accept the inevitable changes and are lashing out via survey.

I don't care what the fans and players think.

Turf is coming whether they and you like it or not. I don't care, that's just the way it is.

Now go to your corner to sulk.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Let me try to make this clear to you.

THE ONLY REASON FIELD TURF IS A GOOD OPTION FOR SOME PEOPLE IS THAT THEY WANT TO USE THE FIELD FOR MULTIPLE SPORTS AND MULTIPLE EVENTS. THERE IS NO REASON TO NOT HAVE NATURAL GRASS OTHERWISE UNLESS YOU ARE IN EXTREME WEATHER STATES. THE PLAYERS PREFER NATURAL GRASS, I HAVE SHOWN YOU THIS FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW OTHERWISE.

sorry to yell, but nothing seems to be getting through.

xcoffeex

andy7171
April 18th, 2008, 10:57 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Let me try to make this clear to you.

THE ONLY REASON FIELD TURF IS A GOOD OPTION FOR SOME PEOPLE IS THAT THEY WANT TO USE THE FIELD FOR MULTIPLE SPORTS AND MULTIPLE EVENTS. THERE IS NO REASON TO NOT HAVE NATURAL GRASS OTHERWISE UNLESS YOU ARE IN EXTREME WEATHER STATES. THE PLAYERS PREFER NATURAL GRASS, I HAVE SHOWN YOU THIS FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW OTHERWISE.

sorry to yell, but nothing seems to be getting through.

xcoffeex

hen does the UD lax team play in the Tub? The main reason Towson went to atrificial was because the first 3-5 games of the year were postponed due to snow and ice covering the field. Even though you are closer to the water, can't be that much of a climate difference.

93henfan
April 18th, 2008, 12:41 PM
hen does the UD lax team play in the Tub? The main reason Towson went to atrificial was because the first 3-5 games of the year were postponed due to snow and ice covering the field. Even though you are closer to the water, can't be that much of a climate difference.

Right now, lax does not play in the Tub. The writing on the wall is that field turf will be put in so that lax, field hockey, et al can use the Tub.

I personally have no problem with turf so long as they get those horrendous lines and markings for other sports OFF on football game days. They look awful. Navy does a great job of this. That field looks terrific on gameday, even though they play all the other sports on it too.

I don't want no stinking soccer goalie box on my football field, and I don't want no stinkin' volleyball out-of-bounds markings on my basketball court.xnonono2x

Lastly, a track around a football field is just the worst kind of sacrilege.xlolx

andy7171
April 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Right now, lax does not play in the Tub. The writing on the wall is that field turf will be put in so that lax, field hockey, et al can use the Tub.

I personally have no problem with turf so long as they get those horrendous lines and markings for other sports OFF on football game days. They look awful. Navy does a great job of this. That field looks terrific on gameday, even though they play all the other sports on it too.

I don't want no stinking soccer goalie box on my football field, and I don't want no stinkin' volleyball out-of-bounds markings on my basketball court.xnonono2x

Lastly, a track around a football field is just the worst kind of sacrilege.xlolx

Towson's field has the football markings and endzones permanent, then during the spring, paints on the lax lines, which makes watching those game a bit confusing, but much better during the Fall.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I think multiple usage led New Hampshire to installing Field Turf rather than the harsh Northern climate. First payback comes today when the Wildcats host Notre Dame in a soccer game at Cowell Stadium. Well, actually the monsoons from hurricane remnants were more of a factor than Winter.

MplsBison
April 18th, 2008, 12:55 PM

There ya go 89hen.

You are broken and defeated.

UDChE89
April 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM

To my knowledge, the only thing other than football that's ever held at Delaware Stadium is commencement.

Henny
April 18th, 2008, 05:49 PM
To my knowledge, the only thing other than football that's ever held at Delaware Stadium is commencement.

The Lax team will play in Delaware Stadium after the new turf is installed. I'm a grass guy myself but the venue will hold many more events throughout the year and the grass will not hold up. The trade off is well worth it considering we are getting an expanded state of the art stadium.

89Hen
April 18th, 2008, 08:15 PM
There ya go 89hen.

Try again you friggin moron.

THE ONLY REASON FIELD TURF IS A GOOD OPTION FOR SOME PEOPLE IS THAT THEY WANT TO USE THE FIELD FOR MULTIPLE SPORTS
IF the UD admin decides they want to play multiple sports in the stadium (they built a nice, new lacrosse stadium not that long ago) then they might decide they want field turf.

You NEVER have admitted YOU WERE WRONG about the FOOTBALL players liking grass better. Oh well.xcoffeex

RadMann
April 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM

They held a round of the NCAA men's lacrosse tournament at the stadium in the 80's as I recall. There might have been another playoff appearance there later as well.

Henny
April 18th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I'm with you 89 it's just that Harker wants to get as much revenue out of the new stadium as possible. The new turf is acceptable to the point where it is feasable even for us.

AppMan
April 18th, 2008, 10:05 PM
There's no Delaware nation and the hiring of the firm was recent by all reports. Every year UD fans claim there is a study, so chances are you just guessed right.

No guessing on my part. Was told by someone well connected to the CAA front office the Delaware administration was preparing to evualate the stadium to look at upgrading it.

93henfan
April 18th, 2008, 10:52 PM
On turf: http://www.foxbusiness.com/article/artificial-turf-hazardous-health_569764_1.html

UDChE89
April 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM
They held a round of the NCAA men's lacrosse tournament at the stadium in the 80's as I recall. There might have been another playoff appearance there later as well.

Yeah, I think that was at the end of my freshman year in 86. However, that was a one time event and the only other thing done there on a regular basis besides football is commencement.

MplsBison
April 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM
IF the UD admin decides they want to play multiple sports in the stadium then they might decide they want field turf.

The Lax team will play in Delaware Stadium after the new turf is installed. I'm a grass guy myself but the venue will hold many more events throughout the year and the grass will not hold up. The trade off is well worth it considering we are getting an expanded state of the art stadium.

There ya go 89hen.