PDA

View Full Version : Now that Coastal Carolina is in the Playoffs...

GannonFan
October 4th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Now that Coastal is in the playoffs with a 2-1 record in their real season, where do you think they should be slotted in the playoffs? Do they merit a home game in the first round? A seed? If they're on the road where do you send them? Do they play the winner of the SoCon because of location or the runner-up? How do you think Coastal's going to be treated by the NCAA?

SeattleGriz
October 4th, 2005, 12:26 PM
They will most likely get sent to a top 4 team to start the tourney.

Look at NW State, they have been sent to Missoula for 2001, 2002 and the 2004 openers.

NW State has a strong history in I-AA and they are even sent on the road...so why would CCU get a better deal?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Now that Coastal is in the playoffs with a 2-1 record in their real season, where do you think they should be slotted in the playoffs? Do they merit a home game in the first round? A seed? If they're on the road where do you send them? Do they play the winner of the SoCon because of location or the runner-up? How do you think Coastal's going to be treated by the NCAA?

Send 'em to Lehigh :D . Honestly, i think they'll be sent to the SoCon Champion. It's too early to tell on South Carolina St., and JMU and App St. face tough roads in their conference. It's not out of the question to think all three of those teams could finish 8-3 and be praying right along with Coastal for a playoff spot. Coastal needs to get all the mileage out of those 3 games and hope the teams they beat take of their business too.

OL FU
October 4th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I hope they continue to win and get in the playoffs. I assume the pairings take into consideration stadium size and attendance which means they hit the road and it makes since for them to play the SoCon champ. I am not sure they should, but I betcha they would take a rematch with ASU if they are the champs.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2005, 12:33 PM
If JMU, and SC St. win out the rest of the way (or damn close to that), and if they crush their remaining Big South schedule (seems likely), they absolutely could get seeded, probably as a #7 or #8. The key will be JMU and SC St.

Folks will be impressed if the Chants' wins over JMU and SCSU are against other playoff contenders. They will be less impressed if SCSU and JMU are 6-5 or 7-4.
To a lesser extent, they are also affected by App St. If App St. takes the SoCon, losing on the road to them as their only loss, that doesn't hurt the Chants at all.

What *would* hurt is a Chuck South loss or something.

Coastal89
October 4th, 2005, 12:36 PM
How do you think Coastal's going to be treated by the NCAA?

The same as our 48-14 baseball team was, like step children. :(

Hansel
October 4th, 2005, 12:49 PM
If JMU, and SC St. win out the rest of the way (or damn close to that), and if they crush their remaining Big South schedule (seems likely), they absolutely could get seeded, probably as a #7 or #8. The key will be JMU and SC St.

Folks will be impressed if the Chants' wins over JMU and SCSU are against other playoff contenders. They will be less impressed if SCSU and JMU are 6-5 or 7-4.
To a lesser extent, they are also affected by App St. If App St. takes the SoCon, losing on the road to them as their only loss, that doesn't hurt the Chants at all.

NCAA is only seeding 4 teams this year

rokamortis
October 4th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Well that's the rub. The hard part is over but there is still a big challenge in winning the rest of the games. 8 games in a row is hard to do regardless of who you play. Plus, the other teams will try to knock us off so we need to be ready. I agree, we *should* do very well with the remaining schedule - but you know what they say about any given Saturday ...

And there is no guarantee that we'll make the playoffs at 10-1 - we could still get overlooked. But I think we all agree that CCU needs to be 10-1 to have a shot.

GannonFan
October 4th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Well that's the rub. The hard part is over but there is still a big challenge in winning the rest of the games. 8 games in a row is hard to do regardless of who you play. Plus, the other teams will try to knock us off so we need to be ready. I agree, we *should* do very well with the remaining schedule - but you know what they say about any given Saturday ...

And there is no guarantee that we'll make the playoffs at 10-1 - we could still get overlooked. But I think we all agree that CCU needs to be 10-1 to have a shot.

Oh come on, the rest of the schedule is a breeze - no one in the Big South even has a winning record, you still have Savanah St and Mansfield on the schedule, and if any of the remaining games can be considered difficult, then at least those hard ones (GW and VMI - I can't believe I just said VMI is a hard game) are at home. The schedule's so easy that a loss, and loss, from this point on would actually drop CCU from the playoffs - it's not like Coastal is a bad team, so the any given Saturday thing probably doesn't apply to their schedule from here on out.

Coastal89
October 4th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Oh come on, the rest of the schedule is a breeze - no one in the Big South even has a winning record, you still have Savanah St and Mansfield on the schedule, and if any of the remaining games can be considered difficult, then at least those hard ones (GW and VMI - I can't believe I just said VMI is a hard game) are at home. The schedule's so easy that a loss, and loss, from this point on would actually drop CCU from the playoffs - it's not like Coastal is a bad team, so the any given Saturday thing probably doesn't apply to their schedule from here on out.

Nobody thought it applied to the third game last year either and look at what happened.

GannonFan
October 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Nobody thought it applied to the third game last year either and look at what happened.

If you were playing Newberry again this year they would probably be better than what teams are still on your schedule. No Newberry, no worries.

rufus
October 4th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I think Harrisonburg, VA would be the ideal location for CCU's first and only playoff game of the 2005 season.

JALMOND
October 4th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Careful, you still got to play the games. Stanford thought Davis was a sure thing and look what happened. You might be on Easy Street on paper, but the games are played on the field, not on paper.

rokamortis
October 4th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Careful, you still got to play the games. Stanford thought Davis was a sure thing and look what happened. You might be on Easy Street on paper, but the games are played on the field, not on paper.

That's my point. We should win and are expected to - but our guys may not expect the teams to come out strong and some of the teams have the potential to be very good.

The one thing that concerns me is that our offense has been rather inconsistant, so I hope they can get it together for an entire game.

I do believe that our destiny is in our own hands and if we lose then we probably don't belong in the playoffs.

But it is true - no matter how good you think you are another 'lower' team can beat you - any given Saturday.

rokamortis
October 4th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I think Harrisonburg, VA would be the ideal location for CCU's first and only playoff game of the 2005 season.

The one team I don't want to see again is JMU.

windwalker
October 4th, 2005, 05:01 PM
All I know right now is that we are highly favored this week...

After all... " IDLE " is at least 0 - 350 for the last 4 years!!!!!

Seriously though, I think it is too early to be talking about Coastal being in the playoffs. let's wait for 4 more weeks at least, and then maybe if we are lucky, we can talk about playoff possibilities. I mean... most people still say... " who is that Coastal team ???? "

We are just pups against all you old dogs.

As far as a home game in the playoffs??? Not gonna happen until we expand our stadium. Which is in the plans for the future.

SuperJon
October 4th, 2005, 05:22 PM
I would love to go to App or SC State for a playoff game, assuming we make it. I don't wanna go to JMU. I like you guys, just don't wanna see you again.

Dallas Demon
October 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM
They will most likely get sent to a top 4 team to start the tourney.

Look at NW State, they have been sent to Missoula for 2001, 2002 and the 2004 openers.

NW State has a strong history in I-AA and they are even sent on the road...so why would CCU get a better deal?

Well said. No offense to Montana, it is a GREAT state to visit and an awesome place to go to a football game, but of all the places to play it has to be the toughest in all of I-AA during the playoffs. We'd be more than happy to host Montana during the playoffs, but quite frankly have little desire to go back there at playoff time. Enough is enough, time for someone else to take the beating.

keydet71
October 4th, 2005, 07:12 PM
...... and if any of the remaining games can be considered difficult, then at least those hard ones (GW and VMI - I can't believe I just said VMI is a hard game) are at home.

.....one can only hope, and thank you for the thought.

:nod:

SoCon48
October 4th, 2005, 07:21 PM

If they get in, it will be (thus far) solely on the JMU win as Elon is a very bad bottom-feeding SoCon team (and you know how lousy everyone thinks the entire bottom half of the SoCon is), and a thus far un-proven App blew them out.

Getting by SC State in their house may be an accomplishment. Hard to tell yet how good SC State is.

SoCon48
October 4th, 2005, 07:24 PM
.....one can only hope, and thank you for the thought.

:nod:

If VMI is now considered a tough opponent, we certainly want you back in the SoCon. Elon really hasn't lived up to being your replacement.
DannyBoy was trying to shrink the footprint when he didn't try to stop you from leaving. He was trying to keep his BMW pristine.

AppGuy04
October 5th, 2005, 07:36 AM
The one team I don't want to see again is JMU.

I think that should read App State my friend

--EDITED FOR SMACK--

Saint3333
October 5th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Does a 10-1 CCU team make the playoffs over a 7-4 ASU team? Hopefully that won't happen, but you never know.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Does a 10-1 CCU team make the playoffs over a 7-4 ASU team? Hopefully that won't happen, but you never know.

Guess it boils down whether a team should schedule an LSU and Kansas or Savannah State and Mansfield (whoever in hell that is).
No one in the country could have an easier last half of a season than Coastal...Libby, VMI, Sav State, Mansfield, and Charleston Southern. Amazing.

89Hen
October 5th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Does a 10-1 CCU team make the playoffs over a 7-4 ASU team?
No doubt IMO. I think Coastal goes on the road though being their first year in.

Saint3333
October 5th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Let's assume ASU beats either Furman or GSU and loses to WCU and LSU that would give them quality wins against EKU (will likely win the OVC), either Furman or GSU, and a complete beating of a playoff teams in most peoples eyes in CCU.

A 7-4 ASU team with their ridiculously hard schedule would be more deserving of a playoff spot over a team they beat 30-3. I'm not saying they would deserve to be in the playoffs, as any A-10, Gateway, Southland, or Big Sky team at 8-3 would deserve that final spot.

If the boys take care of business the next two weeks I won't be as worried over this issue.

OL FU
October 5th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Let's assume ASU beats either Furman or GSU and loses to WCU and LSU that would give them quality wins against EKU (will likely win the OVC), either Furman or GSU, and a complete beating of a playoff teams in most peoples eyes in CCU.

A 7-4 ASU team with their ridiculously hard schedule would be more deserving of a playoff spot over a team they beat 30-3. I'm not saying they would deserve to be in the playoffs, as any A-10, Gateway, Southland, or Big Sky team at 8-3 would deserve that final spot.

If the boys take care of business the next two weeks I won't be as worried over this issue.

When the games were scheduled, Appalachian State made the decision that money games were more important than the playoffs. Unfortunately, if you go 7-4 the players and fans may have to be the ones to suffer.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 09:00 AM

If there is an easier stretch of opponents ANYwhere in college football above NAIA than Liberty, VMI, Savannah State, Mansfield, and Charleston Southern, it would be unbelievable.
Any one of those would make a good patsy on a schedule, but 5 in a row is unheard of.

89Hen
October 5th, 2005, 09:04 AM
When the games were scheduled, Appalachian State made the decision that money games were more important than the playoffs. Unfortunately, if you go 7-4 the players and fans may have to be the ones to suffer.
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Coastal89
October 5th, 2005, 09:10 AM
If there is an easier stretch of opponents ANYwhere in college football above NAIA than Liberty, VMI, Savannah State, Mansfield, and Charleston Southern, it would be unbelievable.
Any one of those would make a good patsy on a schedule, but 5 in a row is unheard of.

You tell us what we should do then. We have to play the conference schedule we're dealt.

Let us in the SoCon or stop complaining.

Also no one in I-AA played a more difficult first part of their schedule. The 5 teams we've played are 13-3 if you take out the games against CCU.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Problem is, many fans and especially players would much rather have the experience of playing an LSU in the Bayou than some more I-AA's after the season.
Money is one thing, but even lesser money (than $350,000) is better than breaking even at best for 4 weeks after the season.

Players telling their kids and grand kids one day about having played Stephen F Austin one December in front 11,000 fans in Chattanooga as opposed to facing the LSU Tigers in front of 90,000 wild fans???? Hmmm. Which choice?

Actually, though, I think the National Championship game is a huge honor, but playing 4 more I-AA's after the season is the pits especially when so many have to be left at home according to the dumb NCAA travel expense limitation as well as playing 4 games for no dough...is beyond comprehension.

If the NCAA told the basketball teams that they would play the first 4 NCAA play-off games for free..they would laugh their asses off.

Eaglegus2
October 5th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Truthfully, I don't see Coastal getting the nod over App should they go 7 - 4.

The head to head matchup will eliminate Coastal.

The best case senario is both receive an invitation. :nod:

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 09:17 AM
You tell us what we should do then. We have to play the conference schedule we're dealt.

Also no one in I-AA played a more difficult first part of their schedule. The 5 teams we've played are 13-3 if you take out the games against CCU.

EXCUSE ME! I had no idea that Savannah State and Manfred er Mansfield were in the Big South.

And no one in I-AA has played a more difficult first part of their schedule..highly debateable to say the least.

Eaglegus2
October 5th, 2005, 09:21 AM
EXCUSE ME! I had no idea that Savannah State and Manfred er Mansfield were in the Big South.

And no one in I-AA has played a more difficult first part of their schedule..highly debateable to say the least.

Give Furman, Montana, GSU, McNeese, or Hampton this schedule. You will see the same or better results in my opinion.

Until you play a tougher schedule than you have.........you have a credibility problem.

Should you make the playoffs.........we will see how you stack up against better competition.

89Hen
October 5th, 2005, 09:30 AM
You want a tough all I-AA schedule...

Northeastern
Georgia Southern (24)
Youngstown State (22)
Villanova
Towson
UMass (17)
W&M (18)
UHN (1)
NWSt (21)
Maine
Hofstra (rec votes)
URI

Hansel
October 5th, 2005, 09:33 AM
You want a tough all I-AA schedule...

Northeastern
Georgia Southern (24)
Youngstown State (22)
Villanova
Towson
UMass (17)
W&M (18)
UHN (1)
NWSt (21)
Maine
Hofstra (rec votes)
URI
Cal-Poly has six ranked opponents... plus a IA :eek:

89Hen
October 5th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Disqualified. :p

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 09:43 AM

No one in I-AA has played a more difficult first part of the schedule??????

Thru Oct 1 games:

Hmm let's see, according to the Strength of Schedule for I-AA teams. I-AA teams begin to fall in at McNeese #88. Coastal Carolina comes in at #168. Get the picture?
There are at least 45 other teams in I-AA listed with a stronger strength of schedule.
In fact 5 of the SoCon have a tougher schedule and even one in the Big South (Liberty).

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 09:45 AM

With a SOS of 168, it would be a travesty.

AppGuy04
October 5th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Not with the competition Coastal has faced in conference.
If they want to build their program, I suggest changing conferences.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 09:51 AM
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Suffer? :D
There is something idiotic about playing 4 post season games (if one is lucky enough) for a total of $0 ....
compared to
2 games during the year for over $600,000.
Do the math.

AppGuy04
October 5th, 2005, 09:52 AM
"SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

Eaglegus2
October 5th, 2005, 09:54 AM
With a SOS of 168, it would be a travesty.

I was trying hard to be nice to the Coastal fans. :D

You know I would prefer my fellow SoCon member over CCU. :nod:

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM
You say join a tougher conference, then you tell us to stay away from the SoCon. Which is it? Make up your mind.

As for Savannah State and Mansfield: everyone else is playing conference games this time of year and there was no one to put on the schedule. Do you think we want to play a HORRIBLE D2 school that scheduled us for the first day of the D2 playoffs knowing they wouldn't be in them? Next year we've already got games scheduled at Wofford, at Georgia Southern, at home vs SC State, and at home vs Elon, with our 4 Big South games, and a home game vs Savannah State. We have two more games to fill. If a big name wants to play us I'm sure we'd be up for it but you guys all seem too high and mighty for us even though you tell us to play a tougher schedule.

Eaglegus2
October 5th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I sure hope you don't put Elon in the class of a tough opponent. :)

OL FU
October 5th, 2005, 10:02 AM
There is something idiotic about playing 4 post season games (if one is lucky enough) for a total of $0 ....
compared to
Do the math.

No problem, just don't complain if you are 7-4 and sitting home for those last four games.

89Hen
October 5th, 2005, 10:05 AM
compared to
Do the math.
Maybe you should join the SWAC. :cool:

OL FU
October 5th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Four a young program, Coastal has done a fantastic job of scheduling good I-AA's. No doubt that they have a breeze of a schedule from here on. But they have not backed down from playing the top of I-AA.

Some of the comments here are ridiculous.

Join another conference - CCU would love to join another conference but the conference has to invite them.

ASU should be picked to go the playoffs with 7-4 but who cares because you don't make any money. Make up your mind.

Hansel
October 5th, 2005, 10:07 AM
You say join a tougher conference, then you tell us to stay away from the SoCon. Which is it? Make up your mind.

As for Savannah State and Mansfield: everyone else is playing conference games this time of year and there was no one to put on the schedule. Do you think we want to play a HORRIBLE D2 school that scheduled us for the first day of the D2 playoffs knowing they wouldn't be in them? Next year we've already got games scheduled at Wofford, at Georgia Southern, at home vs SC State, and at home vs Elon, with our 4 Big South games, and a home game vs Savannah State. We have two more games to fill. If a big name wants to play us I'm sure we'd be up for it but you guys all seem too high and mighty for us even though you tell us to play a tougher schedule.
NDSU and CCU were in talks for a series... but CCU scheduled Mansfield instead.

OL FU
October 5th, 2005, 10:08 AM
compared to
Do the math.

OK, maybe there is no suffering. If the ASU fans and players don't care about the playoffs, don't bitch if you don't get in. It is very simple.

MR. CHICKEN
October 5th, 2005, 10:10 AM

NOR'EASTER.......HAS 8 TEAMS ON DUH SKED......DAT HAVE BEEN...OR ARE...STILL RANKED!.........AN' TOWSON...TOOK OUT DUH # 3 SQUAD...LAST SATURDAY NIGHT.......&...URI...(RHODEY)....WAFFLED DUH TRIBE...TOO!............BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK! :nod:

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 10:21 AM
NDSU and CCU were in talks for a series... but CCU scheduled Mansfield instead.

Didn't know that. Maybe the dates didn't match up or something. I wouldn't mind us going out there for a game and you guys coming here. Hopefully it'd be on tv but at the least we'd have an audio feed. Maybe it'll work out next year.

And Elon isn't SC State or Wofford or GSU (normally) level, but they're better than the Big South teams.

GannonFan
October 5th, 2005, 11:15 AM
And Elon isn't SC State or Wofford or GSU (normally) level, but they're better than the Big South teams.

And yet the Big South wants an auto-invite?

rokamortis
October 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM
And yet the Big South wants an auto-invite?

Most of the conferences want an auto invite.

rokamortis
October 5th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Didn't know that. Maybe the dates didn't match up or something. I wouldn't mind us going out there for a game and you guys coming here. Hopefully it'd be on tv but at the least we'd have an audio feed. Maybe it'll work out next year.

I am pretty sure it was a financial decision as CCU didn't want to have to travel to NDSU for the return trip.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 11:40 AM
OK, maybe there is no suffering. If the ASU fans and players don't care about the playoffs, don't bitch if you don't get in. It is very simple.

I've NEVER bitched about not getting in because so far, when we didn't deserve it when we didn't make it. But I'd sure bitch like hell if ones who play patsy schedules or get their ass stomped by us do.
Unless we happen to win the NC, I could care less about the play-offs. Then I'd still be pissed as hell because we played 4 games for free.

Enjoyed the scare we gave Auburn '99 in Jordan Hare, the win over USC in Columbia, the 7 wins over Wake, etc far more than all the play-offs thus far.
In fact, if I was a Furple fan, I might would cherish the UNC win much more than the NC's.

rokamortis
October 5th, 2005, 11:42 AM
SOS is a hard argument to make. Most of the teams have a strong SOS due to playing I-A teams. I think I-AA SOS should be determined without the money games included - because when you sign the contract you know you have little chance to win and you are playing for the payday.

bigred
October 5th, 2005, 11:42 AM
The Fighting Christians have not won a game against a BigSouth foe since 2002...not saying that the BigSouth is good, just looking at Historical wins and losses.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Most of the conferences want an auto invite.

True, but if the puny confernces get auto invites, who would want to be in a tough conference?
If the puny ones all start getting auto's, then the other ones should get 3 or 4 and that would mean expanding the the # of participants beyond a reasonable/workable number.

rokamortis
October 5th, 2005, 11:51 AM
True, but if the puny confernces get auto invites, who would want to be in a tough conference?
If the puny ones all start getting auto's, then the other ones should get 3 or 4 and that would mean expanding the the # of participants beyond a reasonable/workable number.

I'm not saying it is correct - just that they want it.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 11:53 AM
SOS is a hard argument to make. Most of the teams have a strong SOS due to playing I-A teams. I think I-AA SOS should be determined without the money games included - because when you sign the contract you know you have little chance to win and you are playing for the payday.

1. MOST of those from #88 to #168 did NOT play money games.

2. Knowing you have little chance of winning has NOTHING to do with the resulting strength of schedule.

3. So playing LSU should not count later, but Savannah State should???

4. Playing Auburn down to the wire in '99 in Jordan-Haire was well worth the money.

5. Furman's win over UNC was certainly worth the dough, ASU's over USC, GSU scaring Georgia more than once, all of us who play NC State, etc etc etc.

6. When a I-AA beats a I-A money school, should that not count either??

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 11:55 AM
I'm not saying it is correct - just that they want it.

Totally agree.
But shouldn't they feel guilty if they do get it? ;)

Saint3333
October 5th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I'll take ASU's SOS and a 7-2 mark (if we're throwing out 1A games) against CCU at 10-1.

89Hen
October 5th, 2005, 12:09 PM
I'll take ASU's SOS and a 7-2 mark (if we're throwing out 1A games)
Who's throwing out I-A games?

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM
The Fighting Christians have not won a game against a BigSouth foe since 2002...not saying that the BigSouth is good, just looking at Historical wins and losses.

They're the Phoenix now, btw.

1. They did just fine while they were in the Big South and vs them while independent.
2. They've only played..what..like 2 Big South games since then (played no one in '03, 1 in '04 and 1 this year)? Did beat Liberty in 2002 56-35 and Chas So 21-13.
3. They've only won like 1 game a year in the SoCon while playing 16 games.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Who's throwing out I-A games?

See post #57 by rokamortis.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I'll take ASU's SOS and a 7-2 mark (if we're throwing out 1A games) against CCU at 10-1.

It's a moot point anyway, since MOST of those ranked well above Coastal's 168 ranking played no or precious few money games.
There's a bit of "schedule inflation" going on down in Conway.
If they don't get in the play-offs, it won't be being "passed over", it will be the committee "passing out" from laughing at the last 5 games of the sched.

Lapper
October 5th, 2005, 12:25 PM
VMI will give us our toughest game the rest of the season. If we go 10-1 AGAIN like all of you haters thought we would, then I see us playing the next SoCon Champ, Appalachian State. If that is the case and we are still healthy, we may give you a better game this time around in Boone. :o

OL FU
October 5th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I've NEVER bitched about not getting in because so far, when we didn't deserve it when we didn't make it. But I'd sure bitch like hell if ones who play patsy schedules or get their ass stomped by us do.
Unless we happen to win the NC, I could care less about the play-offs. Then I'd still be pissed as hell because we played 4 games for free.

Enjoyed the scare we gave Auburn '99 in Jordan Hare, the win over USC in Columbia, the 7 wins over Wake, etc far more than all the play-offs thus far.
In fact, if I was a Furple fan, I might would cherish the UNC win much more than the NC's.

I checked and yes I don't think you did. Got my ASU posters confused. :o

Lots of issues in your post that are a matter of opinion.

And since you are not a Purple Fan, I will tell you how this Purple fan responds. I love the win over every I-A team we have, but I would lose all those for one more NC.

bigred
October 5th, 2005, 12:36 PM
They will always be the Fightin' Christians to me....just like Syracuse will always be the Orangemen.

89Hen
October 5th, 2005, 12:42 PM
BTW, haven't you guys already been through this? :p .....

Coastal Carolina University - 2005 Schedule (http://www.anygivensaturday.org/cgi-bin/board/cutecast.pl?session=d5CngojQ2w8999ZfjdQYAeW4bK&forum=4&thread=9322)

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I think that the 30-3 score at App was more of a fluke (us not showing up) than the JMU and SCSU wins. Would App win if we played again? Possibly. But I guarantee you it won't be that bad.

We go 10-1 and we're in. Plain and simple. We had teams that were already on our schedule back out and we filled them as best we could. Not many schools have an open date the next to last week of the season and we were stuck with one.

As for Savannah State, it was already mentioned that the deal was made before Coastal's program even played a game. Who was to think we would be this good in three years? Savannah State seemed a logical opponent at the time.

rufus
October 5th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Losing 30-3 is not a fluke. Coastal was basically dominated by ASU. I think narrowly defeating a JMU team that missed 2 easy kicks and more or less stopped playing defense after the third quarter is more of a fluke.

Black and Gold Express
October 5th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I think that the 30-3 score at App was more of a fluke (us not showing up) than the JMU and SCSU wins. Would App win if we played again? Possibly. But I guarantee you it won't be that bad.

Jon, we had almost 200 yards in penalties in that game. And three times inside the 10 where we failed to score because we did not have a goalline set installed (we were running shotgun). That package got put in against Citadel and provided at least 1 score for us.

Fix both of those in that game, and you lose 60-3 easily. A rematch in Boone won't get you any closer to winning. That score was no fluke. We manhandled you on both sides of the football, even while shooting ourselves in the foot time and again.

This is not a slam on CCU, but you do not match up well against ASU this year. A rematch would do not much more than prove it.

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 01:15 PM
This is exactly why I know it won't be as bad. You guys think we are nothing and go on the sole fact that you manhandled us in that last game. Everyone in teal, not yellow, knows that wasn't the true team that showed up in Boone that day.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 01:52 PM
This is exactly why I know it won't be as bad. You guys think we are nothing and go on the sole fact that you manhandled us in that last game. Everyone in teal, not yellow, knows that wasn't the true team that showed up in Boone that day.

Then why in the H didn't you bring your "true" team?

We don't think Coastal is "nothing". Most of us just think Coastal has gotten way to big for its britches at this early stage with only one key victory since your inception.
We all agree that Coastal has gotten off to a great start and definitely have the right plan in place. Just believing too many press clippings while playing a very unchallenging schedule for the most part is dangerous and can be very disenchanting later on. Ask Elon.

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I don't know what our "truel" team is.

Our guys didn't show up for that game. They came off a huge win and their heads got big. It happens all the time to programs across the country.

WUTNDITWAA
October 5th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Jiminy Christmas!!! Were you at that game in Boone? Damn, I wish that game was televised so you could remember the leather that was laid on you guys that day. Besides, we were in BLACK.

You want respect? You get what you give, and even after getting buried, all I see on here is constant trash talking. Shut up already!!!!!!!!!!!

WUTNDITWAA
October 5th, 2005, 02:13 PM
I came on here thinking that Coastal deserves a shot at the title if they can finish 10-1. They have two good quality wins, and the better ASU and JMU play the better they will look. But after reading four pages of this, I'm not so sure.

A piece of advice from someone who has seen it before. Better take VMI seriously. The boxing kangaroos can ruin your celebration.

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I was at the game and you guys raped us. I said that then. However, there are trap games. It's the hangover effect. I don't think we deserve to be in the top 10. I don't think we should be in the top 20 right now. However, I don't think App is the God of I-AA right now. I know the program App has, I grew up less than two hours from App. All the App fans talk about is going I-A and they have done absolutely nothing about it for the past 20 years. We're not the only ones who may be too big for our britches. We were on ESPN that whole week and it got to the players' heads. It happens. We got killed. I admit it. I've said that the whole time. I'm just not gonna suck App's you know what like everyone else seems to do.

Saint3333
October 5th, 2005, 02:39 PM
No one is saying ASU is even is the top ten or a lock for the playoffs this started with a 7-4 ASU team discussion.

For 20 years ASU had no leadership, on 7/1/05 that changed. I'm not predicted 1A in the next 5 years, but I'm expecting higher attendance avg. and better facilities to follow.

coastalalum
October 5th, 2005, 02:47 PM
easy jon...why we're even discussing playoffs when we've got 7 games still to play is beyond me. let's not forget the name of this very website - any given saturday. yes the remainder of our schedule should set up well for us, but we still have to play them one at a time. one thing i will say is that being only 26 games into our history, it's probably pretty hard to schedule the more difficult 1-aa schools...especially considering our early success. after all, a loss to a newcomer would be devastating in the eyes of the powers that be to playoff contenders. some of these comments are absolutely amazing to me...it's like we were supposed to come out of the gates playing the likes of jmu, w&m, furman, gsu, app etc. etc. in our first year. kudos to jmu for coming to our place. i'm only glad that it wasn't a coastal fan that started this thread...go chants!

chantman
October 5th, 2005, 02:48 PM
I came on here thinking that Coastal deserves a shot at the title if they can finish 10-1. They have two good quality wins, and the better ASU and JMU play the better they will look. But after reading four pages of this, I'm not so sure.

That's pretty shallow of you if you're going to base your opinion of a football program on a couple of fans posting to a message board.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I was at the game and you guys raped us. I said that then. However, there are trap games. It's the hangover effect. I don't think we deserve to be in the top 10. I don't think we should be in the top 20 right now. However, I don't think App is the God of I-AA right now. I know the program App has, I grew up less than two hours from App. All the App fans talk about is going I-A and they have done absolutely nothing about it for the past 20 years. We're not the only ones who may be too big for our britches. We were on ESPN that whole week and it got to the players' heads. It happens. We got killed. I admit it. I've said that the whole time. I'm just not gonna suck App's you know what like everyone else seems to do.
No one is claiming App is any god of I-AA. We're just glad to be back at having a shot at the play-offs or SoCon championship after a 3 year decline.

But when it comes to rankings, etc, we can say we've been there, done that many times over and get a bit defensive when a couple Chant posters (not you) tell us they propelled us from oblivion with one game.
As to I-A, App should have done it 20 years ago instead of letting interest decline in the program/aspirations as it did.

As to the Coastal ESPN, etc hype. Many of us App fans were starting to believe it, too the week before the game.

The schedule. Your homefield upset of JMU was admirable. The win vs SC State added simply means that Coastal is I-AA calibre program. However, nothing else in the 11 game schedule proves Coastal is worthy of the play-offs...yet.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 03:12 PM
easy jon...why we're even discussing playoffs when we've got 7 games still to play is beyond me. let's not forget the name of this very website - any given saturday. yes the remainder of our schedule should set up well for us, but we still have to play them one at a time. one thing i will say is that being only 26 games into our history, it's probably pretty hard to schedule the more difficult 1-aa schools...especially considering our early success. after all, a loss to a newcomer would be devastating in the eyes of the powers that be to playoff contenders. some of these comments are absolutely amazing to me...it's like we were supposed to come out of the gates playing the likes of jmu, w&m, furman, gsu, app etc. etc. in our first year. kudos to jmu for coming to our place. i'm only glad that it wasn't a coastal fan that started this thread...go chants!

You're a definite realist with your feet on the ground.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 03:19 PM
I don't know what our "truel" team is.

Our guys didn't show up for that game. They came off a huge win and their heads got big. It happens all the time to programs across the country.

Reminder. Ummmm, your "true" team was the one you said in your previous post---you didn't bring.

And yes, a win over a "then" ranked #1 team is something that can get into the heads of players, fans, and coaches.
Too, you gotta remind yourself that much of JMU's #1 ranking was based on last year's team.
Looked good vs Hofstra, but of course so did Furman.

Black and Gold Express
October 5th, 2005, 03:25 PM

No, instead you are still trying to make excuses for it 3 weeks after the game was played.

I like you Jon, you seem like a good guy posting here. But this is ridiculous. At what point could it possibly be that ASU is that much better than Coastal? Or that ASU has the talent in the places that makes it a terrible matchup for Coastal?

All we heard for the entire week leading up to the game is how the JMU game was great, but from the outset not just the fans, but the players themselves were looking more towards playing ASU, even before the JMU game. It became very clear to me that the ASU game was the one circled on ya'lls calendars.

So you marked it on your calendars. You came to Boone, and you got knocked on the ground. It happens. But be a man about it and accept it for what it is. To try and spin from that to "it was a trap game", and a "hangover effect" is pure weak bull. It's trying to cover for the fact that you got your ass handed to you, and a lot easier on the scoreboard than it could have/should have been, and nothing more.

We know what happened on there. A lot of us also know the Coastal team was jacked up for that game too. The hangover crap doesn't wash.

Coastal has got a good start to their program. Even if JMU was overrated at #1, that was a good win. But a truly good program will not have these falloffs. More pointedly, a SoCon team does not have the luxury of these dropoffs. It's no secret Coastal wants in the SoCon. If they ever get it, they may have to face 5 ranked teams in the span of 8 weeks. Look at us, we have Furman, GSU, and Wofford in consecutive weeks.

Last year we beat Furman on a last-minute drive. We got crushed by GSU. In 2002, it was "the Play", followed by a bad loss to GSU. Not one person that I know of said anything but "GSU manhandled us" in either of those. Cause that's what it was.

Same as Coastals's win against JMU followed by a thrashing from ASU. There's no shame in that.

If you want to be it, act it. That's all I can offer to you.

rokamortis
October 5th, 2005, 03:26 PM
No one is claiming App is any god of I-AA. We're just glad to be back at having a shot at the play-offs or SoCon championship after a 3 year decline.

But when it comes to rankings, etc, we can say we've been there, done that many times over and get a bit defensive when a couple Chant posters (not you) tell us they propelled us from oblivion with one game.
As to I-A, App should have done it 20 years ago instead of letting interest decline in the program/aspirations as it did.

As to the Coastal ESPN, etc hype. Many of us App fans were starting to believe it, too the week before the game.

The schedule. Your homefield upset of JMU was admirable. The win vs SC State added simply means that Coastal is I-AA calibre program. However, nothing else in the 11 game schedule proves Coastal is worthy of the play-offs...yet.

I think you read too much into what I was saying - a tad defensive? But please see the facts on the other thread about where ASU entered the polls after defeating us. Facts don't lie.

rokamortis
October 5th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I think there is a bit of confusion going on here. If I could try to help correct it.

Most CCU fans feel that the team that showed up in Boone was not the team we are used to seeing. We didn't execute to our normal ability, or at least our expectations. But that doesn't take anything away from ASU. You guys took it to us and smashed us hard - no question. There are a lot of shoulda, woulda, coulda's but it all comes down to how we actually played. I don't feel that we would have won had we played better - ASU is a good team with a great environment and tradition.

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Rok said exactly what I was saying. Nowhere have I said that Coastal would have beat App. I said that it wouldn't be as bad as the score was a few weeks ago.

As to the "truel" team, I was just knocking on your spelling as a joke.

And the reason we're discussing the playoffs is it's a bye week and we got nothing else to do, might as well stir some feathers. Get it, feathers. We're chickens. Anyways.

I know how great App is. I've grown up around it. Half of my teachers went to App. The whole point of my posts in this thread is that had Coastal actually showed up to play, it would not have been a massacre. Would App still win? Possibly. It wouldn't be a complete blowout though. That's what I said.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Rok said exactly what I was saying. Nowhere have I said that Coastal would have beat App. I said that it wouldn't be as bad as the score was a few weeks ago.

As to the "truel" team, I was just knocking on your spelling as a joke.

And the reason we're discussing the playoffs is it's a bye week and we got nothing else to do, might as well stir some feathers. Get it, feathers. We're chickens. Anyways.

I know how great App is. I've grown up around it. Half of my teachers went to App. The whole point of my posts in this thread is that had Coastal actually showed up to play, it would not have been a massacre. Would App still win? Possibly. It wouldn't be a complete blowout though. That's what I said.

The (l) was supposed to be an exclamation mark (!). Typo, not spelling.

"Would App still win?" I think you still haven't grasped the magnitude of the margin..stats and points, missed opportunities. An easy case could be made that App's "true" team didn't show up either since that was the most penalties in 75 years of ASU football.

Stang Fever
October 5th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I see a few parallels with CC and Poly....back in 94 poly went 10-1 no playoffs.....04 CC also goes 10-1 no playoffs....I have not looked at CC schedule, i just know they beat JMU and then got blownout by App ST. if CC strength of schdule is as week as last years..10-1 still will not be good enough to make the playoffs...but what can you say to a team that only looses 1 game a year...eventually you have to give them there shot

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2005, 04:25 PM
If I was Coastal my main concern would be VMI and Gardner-Webb. I think they're improved and gave Lehigh a heck of a scare. I think the game is in Conway, but that's a team that would love to wreck havoc on somebody. Coastal got threw the "tough" stretch but league games are never fun. Like Lehigh and Colgates found out in the PL, someone will step up and challenge CCU. If not this year than next, there's 3 teams in that league that have potential, VMI, GW, and Coastal. I think Coastal puts the most emphasis and support behind it'a program right now.

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Our tough games are at home. Gardner Webb is next weekend after a bye this week. VMI is homecoming for us.

eaglesrthe1
October 5th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Four a young program, Coastal has done a fantastic job of scheduling good I-AA's. No doubt that they have a breeze of a schedule from here on. But they have not backed down from playing the top of I-AA.

Some of the comments here are ridiculous.

Join another conference - CCU would love to join another conference but the conference has to invite them.

ASU should be picked to go the playoffs with 7-4 but who cares because you don't make any money. Make up your mind.

Ridiculous indeed. Just about everybody agreed that a 10-1 Coastal would make the playoffs. Now, many are looking for a backdoor on that pick. ASU might could make a case for getting to the playoffs @ 7-4, if one of the wins is over one of the I-A's. Take the money, or the longer season.

RedZoneMoc
October 5th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Would the NCAA not simply overlook D-I L's???

If you go 7-2 in I-AA and compete in a fairly strong conference, that should count for something. The NCAA only requires 6 wins for a bowl game.

eaglesrthe1
October 5th, 2005, 06:08 PM
The NCAA does consider SOS, but they will not overlook any loss. You might only need 6 I-A wins to be bowl eligilble, but there aren't 60 teams going to the playoffs, just 16.

Lapper
October 5th, 2005, 06:39 PM
:nod: BULLSEYE :nod:

league games are never fun...someone will step up and challenge CCU.
Good God I hope so. I thought our league would be better than this this season. Hopefully G-Dubb can do some damage against Hampton Saturday. As for VMI, if our guys overlook this game we will get stomped @ homecoming.

As for the ASU game, I've talked to some Coastal players who hope we play ASU again if we get into the playoffs. They know they let the school down and are itchin' to get revenge ;) .

GoGSU
October 5th, 2005, 07:08 PM
my $.02..................if CCU played App again, (in Boone) the beating would be worse...........a 7-4 Appy team gets in WAY before a 10-1 CCU team........grow up little CCU...you will be one of the big boys 1 day. (coming from a team who has been there, done that!!! NC-1985, 1986 after starting football in 1982)

SuperJon
October 5th, 2005, 07:19 PM
You tell us to wait and grow up before we come into the playoffs and then brag that you won a national championship in your third year. Do you want us to wait or should we try to get in the playoffs in our third year? Way to contradict yourself.

OL FU
October 5th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Ridiculous indeed. Just about everybody agreed that a 10-1 Coastal would make the playoffs. Now, many are looking for a backdoor on that pick. ASU might could make a case for getting to the playoffs @ 7-4, if one of the wins is over one of the I-A's. Take the money, or the longer season.

They will not have an I-A win, so I am confused by the comment. Please Explain

SoCon48
October 6th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Hopefully App gets the $$ AND the longer season. That's the plan. Just have to avoid losing more than 1 conf game. it would be a pity to not get in with 2 conf losses especially if one from some puny a--- confernce does or another SoCon team with 2 losses does.
It's still not to late to blow this season. But many of the App posters on another board were predicting like a 2-9, 3-8. 4-7 season. Mostly the anti-Moore crowd of course.

SoCon48
October 6th, 2005, 12:27 PM

Me too, to an extent. App is almost sure to lose both I-A games.
However, I don't see why ASU can't get in with 2 SoCon losses anyway. It would be a slap in the face to the strength of the conference if they didn't.

SoCon48
October 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM
:nod: BULLSEYE :nod:

Good God I hope so. I thought our league would be better than this this season. Hopefully G-Dubb can do some damage against Hampton Saturday. As for VMI, if our guys overlook this game we will get stomped @ homecoming.

As for the ASU game, I've talked to some Coastal players who hope we play ASU again if we get into the playoffs. They know they let the school down and are itchin' to get revenge ;) .
Revenge? It could be a WHOLE lot worse next time.

Black and Gold Express
October 6th, 2005, 02:00 PM
The whole point of my posts in this thread is that had Coastal actually showed up to play, it would not have been a massacre. Would App still win? Possibly. It wouldn't be a complete blowout though. That's what I said.

And that's just wrong based on one faulty point. You make the assumption that your team had this "letdown" game against us. If that is true (and I've posted earlier why I do not think it is the case), then that's an indictment of your team that makes them look worse.

And again, it's not like we played a picture perfect game ourselves. We commit almost 200 yards in penalties, and leave 3 touchdowns off the board due to bad offensive preparation (no goalline sets installed in the gameplan - that's not an excuse, it came directly from Coach Moore in the interviews later that week).

Let's play along though, and say you do bring that A game that mysteriously was left at the beach while the talk rode the bus northwest. If that happened and ASU played the way they did, then yeah it's more like a 24-17 win for ASU. But if ASU brings it's A game, and trust me you didn't see it, then ASU would win by at least 30 anyways.

This door swings both ways.

I for one would be glad to host CCU in the playoffs. And hope that they bring their best game, if in fact they did not the first time. And if CCU plays a lot better, win or lose, then we will have to come to agree that maybe CCU did have a letdown game in September. But if ASU drills them again, maybe then we'll stop getting a litany of excuses and a realiztion that the matchups just aren't good for CCU. Or maybe they'll have had another letdown game, who knows. :rolleyes:

rokamortis
October 6th, 2005, 02:07 PM
BGE -

The whole argument about bringing the a-game or whatever is just us fans that felt we didn't execute as well as we should have - the outcome very well could have been the same.

Call me old fashioned, but I feel it is the W column that means the most.

To your point - many JMU fans felt that they didn't bring their A-game to Brooks and that was why they lost. Fair enough, but the W is all that matters. Hell, we tried to give the game away and the didn't take it so I see where you are coming from.

Life is full of the coulda, shoulda, woulda - but we didn't and that is the bottom line.

windwalker
October 6th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Coastal vs. ASU again??? sure... you would beat us 56-18... JMU would probaly beat us 48 -10... Heck Elon might beat us too.... but...

So many of you look at the traditions.. the years of experience... the "tougher" conferences... the history...

Look back in your own history... how many of your teams have been "spanked" in a given year by a team that you didn't think would 'bury' you??

Poopie occurs!!!!!!

Why did JMU come down to Coastal to play this year??? Because they needed a game.. Many programs fill with 'a nobody' rather than have two open dates. If other teams won't schedule you, what do you do??? You almost have to fill the date with whoever will play you.

Last year we went 10 - 1... and I don't think anyone here at Coastal was really ticked off about not getting an at large bid.. we knew our schedule was weak... We boosted the schedule this year... and I am sorry, but we can't help about our conference... Yes on paper, it appears that we should 'coast' through the rest of the year, but when you look at the remaining 6 games of the year... we are the "target" for every team we play.

If we do end up 10 - 1, then I think we deserve a shot at the playoffs. If they put us against one of the four seeded teams... so be it...
Like someone said before... we have a couple of open dates next year... If ANY of you big boys want to come down to Coastal. fee; free to do so...Might not like what you are getting in for though.

yeah we are talking big... but we are thinking big time too... Just wait 'til next year... LOL

SuperJon
October 6th, 2005, 02:45 PM
You two guys just said everything I've been trying to say.

RedZoneMoc
October 6th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Let's hope the NCAA looks closely at I-A L's because $$$$$ games are important for the survival of I-AA programs. Two I-A games is $600-800,000---lot of $$$$$$ to cash starved programs. I would like to see the Mocs continue to play Memphis ($150-200,000) and add a "big-boy" to take in another $300-400,000 per year.

For a fledgling program, some of the CCU supporters seem a little cocky. I guess when you are looking at being 20-2 over 2 years you become confident.

SoCon48
October 6th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Coastal vs. ASU again??? sure... you would beat us 56-18... JMU would probaly beat us 48 -10... Heck Elon might beat us too.... but...

So many of you look at the traditions.. the years of experience... the "tougher" conferences... the history...

Look back in your own history... how many of your teams have been "spanked" in a given year by a team that you didn't think would 'bury' you??

Poopie occurs!!!!!!

Why did JMU come down to Coastal to play this year??? Because they needed a game.. Many programs fill with 'a nobody' rather than have two open dates. If other teams won't schedule you, what do you do??? You almost have to fill the date with whoever will play you.

Last year we went 10 - 1... and I don't think anyone here at Coastal was really ticked off about not getting an at large bid.. we knew our schedule was weak... We boosted the schedule this year... and I am sorry, but we can't help about our conference... Yes on paper, it appears that we should 'coast' through the rest of the year, but when you look at the remaining 6 games of the year... we are the "target" for every team we play.

If we do end up 10 - 1, then I think we deserve a shot at the playoffs. If they put us against one of the four seeded teams... so be it...
Like someone said before... we have a couple of open dates next year... If ANY of you big boys want to come down to Coastal. fee; free to do so...Might not like what you are getting in for though.

yeah we are talking big... but we are thinking big time too... Just wait 'til next year... LOL

It would have been different if Coastal had ever been in the damn game for even a minute.

10-1 doesn't mean jack crap in conference of pansies.. Geez
If you play the schedule like you have now, 10-1 a year for the next 50 years is possible.
168 in the Strength of Schedule rankings. Pretty pitiful. And that's just based on the first half of the season.

SoCon48
October 6th, 2005, 03:42 PM
And that's just wrong based on one faulty point. You make the assumption that your team had this "letdown" game against us. If that is true (and I've posted earlier why I do not think it is the case), then that's an indictment of your team that makes them look worse.

And again, it's not like we played a picture perfect game ourselves. We commit almost 200 yards in penalties, and leave 3 touchdowns off the board due to bad offensive preparation (no goalline sets installed in the gameplan - that's not an excuse, it came directly from Coach Moore in the interviews later that week).

Let's play along though, and say you do bring that A game that mysteriously was left at the beach while the talk rode the bus northwest. If that happened and ASU played the way they did, then yeah it's more like a 24-17 win for ASU. But if ASU brings it's A game, and trust me you didn't see it, then ASU would win by at least 30 anyways.

This door swings both ways.

I for one would be glad to host CCU in the playoffs. And hope that they bring their best game, if in fact they did not the first time. And if CCU plays a lot better, win or lose, then we will have to come to agree that maybe CCU did have a letdown game in September. But if ASU drills them again, maybe then we'll stop getting a litany of excuses and a realiztion that the matchups just aren't good for CCU. Or maybe they'll have had another letdown game, who knows. :rolleyes:

I have a strong feeling, that it was more like they ran into a decent defense for the first time in two years. Good lord, I'd like to have seen Coastal against the real defenses we had for over a decade.
All the week prior to the game all we heard was how the CC running backs were going to run all over us.
They have must have missed the bus.

eaglesrthe1
October 6th, 2005, 04:17 PM

No they won't have a I-A win. So if they go 7-4, I don't think that they would make the playoffs. It's possible, as ASU themselves have done it... (92'..7-4/two I-A losses), just not probable. If one of the 7 wins was over a I-A, then they would more leverage in their corner.

Much would depend upon the other teams that would be on the bubble.

Saint3333
October 6th, 2005, 04:41 PM
A 10-1 CCU would have two quality wins, the deciding factor would be how JMU, SCS, and ASU perform the rest of the year. If JMU finishes 3rd or better in the A-10 (likely), SCS wins the MEAC (unlikely), and ASU is a playoff team (50/50) CCU is in hands down.

If two of the three teams fade away they'll be ranked in the top 20, but no playoffs. I hope JMU wins the A-10, SCS wins the MEAC, and of course ASU wins the SoCon, and to top it all off I'd love to play CCU in the playoffs in Boone in late November. After eating all that Turkey we'd be ready for some frozen beach chickens.

The Gadfly
October 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM
A 10-1 CCU would have two quality wins, the deciding factor would be how JMU, SCS, and ASU perform the rest of the year. If JMU finishes 3rd or better in the A-10 (likely), SCS wins the MEAC (unlikely), and ASU is a playoff team (50/50) CCU is in hands down.

If two of the three teams fade away they'll be ranked in the top 20, but no playoffs. I hope JMU wins the A-10, SCS wins the MEAC, and of course ASU wins the SoCon, and to top it all off I'd love to play CCU in the playoffs in Boone in late November. After eating all that Turkey we'd be ready for some frozen beach chickens.

I agree, frozen beach chicken is delicious...especially with a side of moutaineer foot ;) . Why do you hill-people care whether the Mean Green Chickens get in or not :confused: . 20-2 in two seasons with a win against the National Champion is not too shabby, weak conference or not. The win against JMU and the smack down from ASU is catch 22 if you ask me. It equaled everything out until the SC State win that tipped the scales in CCU's favor. Now the only thing we have to do is survive the "big" South and the rest of our OOC games :nod: .

ChantDad
October 6th, 2005, 09:04 PM
I don't post much on these boards but this is amazing. A thread at 12 pages as of Thursday night about a 2-1/2 year old program started by another school's fan!

The 2 main subjects seem to be whether they deserve to be in the playoffs and whether the perfromance at App St was "normal" or not. Nothing more than a bunch of opinions at this time.

My overall impression...everyone else is either jealous or scared! Bennett has publicly stated scheduling is getting hard because other schools hang up on them when they call to discuss playing! App St has turned down repeated requests for a return trip to Coastal. Wofford canceled a scheduled game this year ( CCU made it up with the JMU game and they did cancel it for a money game with WVU; I guess a loss to a 1A would be easier to digest than a loss to CCU). It is well know in the SC sports talk circles that Wofford and Furman do not want CCU in the SoCon; they don't want to compete on the recruiting trails.

I think that's all OK with the staff at Coastal. The know if the program is for real, it will all shake out on the field. If the program is a one shot wonder, the talking will end soon enough.

rokamortis
October 6th, 2005, 09:21 PM
I don't post much on these boards but this is amazing. A thread at 12 pages as of Thursday night about a 2-1/2 year old program started by another school's fan!

The 2 main subjects seem to be whether they deserve to be in the playoffs and whether the perfromance at App St was "normal" or not. Nothing more than a bunch of opinions at this time.

My overall impression...everyone else is either jealous or scared! Bennett has publicly stated scheduling is getting hard because other schools hang up on them when they call to discuss playing! App St has turned down repeated requests for a return trip to Coastal. Wofford canceled a scheduled game this year ( CCU made it up with the JMU game and they did cancel it for a money game with WVU; I guess a loss to a 1A would be easier to digest than a loss to CCU). It is well know in the SC sports talk circles that Wofford and Furman do not want CCU in the SoCon; they don't want to compete on the recruiting trails.

I think that's all OK with the staff at Coastal. The know if the program is for real, it will all shake out on the field. If the program is a one shot wonder, the talking will end soon enough.

Hey CD - Wofford just couldn't turn down the money. We are scheduled to play Wofford next year in Rock Hill but I don't know if the return game to Conway has been rescheduled or not.

ChantDad
October 6th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Rok, I know that but it sounded good.

The full story was JMU backed out of the game at WVU. WVU went looking for a replacement and bought the game with Wofford because CCU had not put any kind of guarantee in the contract with Wofford. And then JMU ends up at CCU and gets a loss anyway!

Kind of funny actually.

New CCU Fan
October 7th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Hey CD - Wofford just couldn't turn down the money. We are scheduled to play Wofford next year in Rock Hill but I don't know if the return game to Conway has been rescheduled or not.

I rarely post on here either CD, but I enjoy reading. Here's a question for whomever may know the answer. Why would the Wofford game be played at Rock Hill instead of in Spartanburg? That seems a bit odd to me considering the locations are so close to each other........

rokamortis
October 7th, 2005, 07:36 AM
I rarely post on here either CD, but I enjoy reading. Here's a question for whomever may know the answer. Why would the Wofford game be played at Rock Hill instead of in Spartanburg? That seems a bit odd to me considering the locations are so close to each other........

oops :o

sorry got a little screwy between Winthrop and Wofford - my apologies

New CCU Fan
October 7th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Hey, no problem man ;) I knew something didn't sound right there. Now we just have to wait and see if they KEEP us on their schedule. Wouldn't surprise me if they back out again. No little doggies like raging chickens nippin' at their tails :D

JMUfan2008
October 7th, 2005, 08:04 AM
dang right most JMU students feel we didn't bring our A game to CCU... those 4 points we lost by was a 30 yd missed field goal and a missed extra point! Plus our offense clearly wasn't clicking the way it should have been and we had a young defense at that point that hadn't played enough together to even face a decent team. To add to that, we had absolutely no idea how you played because that wonderful coach of yours didn't send any tape, so we had never even seen you all play before while you knew us inside and out. I'm not taking away from CCU at all, you have a good team, and yes you did get the W, however much of a fluke that may have been....but play us again in the playoffs, and you'll see how good we are, our team knows how to use anger and revenge to our advantage :D

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 08:12 AM
dang right most JMU students feel we didn't bring our A game to CCU... those 4 points we lost by was a 30 yd missed field goal and a missed extra point! Plus our offense clearly wasn't clicking the way it should have been and we had a young defense at that point that hadn't played enough together to even face a decent team. To add to that, we had absolutely no idea how you played because that wonderful coach of yours didn't send any tape, so we had never even seen you all play before while you knew us inside and out. I'm not taking away from CCU at all, you have a good team, and yes you did get the W, however much of a fluke that may have been....but play us again in the playoffs, and you'll see how good we are, our team knows how to use anger and revenge to our advantage :D

A 4 point loss on an opponnent's field could deserve a re-play. 4 points is less than the usual home field advantage by the odds makers.

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I agree, frozen beach chicken is delicious...especially with a side of moutaineer foot ;) . Why do you hill-people care whether the Mean Green Chickens get in or not :confused: . 20-2 in two seasons with a win against the National Champion is not too shabby, weak conference or not. The win against JMU and the smack down from ASU is catch 22 if you ask me. It equaled everything out until the SC State win that tipped the scales in CCU's favor. Now the only thing we have to do is survive the "big" South and the rest of our OOC games :nod: .

1. Yep, you got the Mountaineer foot alright. Stomped a mudhole in that chicken.
2. Catch 22? Sure if JMU was THIS year's champs.
3. "Survive" the Big South? :D
4. Tipped the scales? Kansas is at least as good as THIS year's JMU. And SC State is no national power. Sagarin: Kansas 55th, JMU 109th, C Carolina 160, SC State 176.
5. Last year's JMU team while one of the best is not the National Champs.
6. Why do hill people care if CCU gets in or not. We don't. Just not at a proven team's expense.
7. That win against the National Champs is getting a bit old...old as the fact that they are LAST year's NC.

Coastal89
October 7th, 2005, 08:32 AM
A 4 point loss on an opponnent's field could deserve a re-play. 4 points is less than the usual home field advantage by the odds makers.
That statement is almost as laughable as his. Do you really think anybody gave Coastal a home feild advantage or even considered we'd be within 4 points of JMU?

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 08:48 AM
That statement is almost as laughable as his. Do you really think anybody gave Coastal a home feild advantage or even considered we'd be within 4 points of JMU?

Laughable? :bang: You haven't been following football long have you?
When oddsmakers (and any other creditable predictors) FACTOR in at least 6 pts for the home field advantage.
So you're saying all other teams get some home field advantage but not Coastal. ROFLMAO!
You have a lot to learn about college football..

rokamortis
October 7th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Laughable? :bang: You haven't been following football long have you?
When oddsmakers (and any other creditable predictors) FACTOR in at least 6 pts for the home field advantage.
So you're saying all other teams get some home field advantage but not Coastal. ROFLMAO!
You have a lot to learn about college football..

Yes, oddsmakers factor in home firld advantage but not all home teams are favored to win. We were predicted to lose by more than 6 points is the point 89 is making.

And to the JMU fan - I agree you guys could have taken advantage of opportunities. We could not have opened the door for those eitehr - the fumble and interception and nearly intercepted ball should not have happened either. So it works both ways.

boozeANDammo
October 7th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Wow, some of these comments are hard to fathom.

First off, CCU beat us. Plain and simple. Did we execute well? No we didn't. Did CCU execute well... no, not really, but enough to beat us. Boil it all down and guess what, it's a football game and if you don't show up to play you get a mark in the 'L' column. It was a landmark win for 'em so congrats again.

I can say this as a hypothetical. If there's one team in this country that we want to play in the post-season (if we get there), that team is Coastal Carolina.

At large: CCU at 10-1 with a loss to ASU gets in easily over a 4 loss Appy St.

rokamortis
October 7th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I can say this as a hypothetical. If there's one team in this country that we want to play in the post-season (if we get there), that team is Coastal Carolina.

And you guys are the one team I don't want to see again :D - if we are fortunate enough to have an extended season

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Yes, oddsmakers factor in home firld advantage but not all home teams are favored to win. We were predicted to lose by more than 6 points is the point 89 is making.

And to the JMU fan - I agree you guys could have taken advantage of opportunities. We could not have opened the door for those either - the fumble and interception and nearly intercepted ball should not have happened either. So it works both ways.

All I was saying was that home field advantage factored in make a slim 4 pt margin questionable as it would with any two opponnents. Had CC won by 10 or 12, the 6 pt home field advantage would be negligible.

Let's put it this way. How do JMU and CCU fans think the 4 pts would have held up at James Madison? JMU is likely a BETTER team than App and it didn't hold up too well in Boone.

Hell, if CCU was playing at Southern Cal for e.g., the home field advantage would be even greater.

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Wow, some of these comments are hard to fathom.

At large: CCU at 10-1 with a loss to ASU gets in easily over a 4 loss Appy St.

Which just show the fallacy of the selection process. ASU loses 2 to Kansas and LSU and one more than CCU in the very strong SoCon. CCU actually gets in over a team that beat them soundly while finishing the season with 4 or 5 patsies?
A farce.

Wofford raised pure mortal hell the other year when ASU got in over them although Wofford had beaten them earlier. Losing to bottom feeder VMI was what sunk the Terrier's boat.

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Which just show the fallacy of the selection process. ASU loses 2 to Kansas and LSU and one more than CCU in the very strong SoCon. CCU actually gets in over a team that beat them soundly while finishing the season with 4 or 5 patsies?
A farce.

Wofford raised pure mortal hell the other year when ASU got in over them although Wofford had beaten them earlier. Losing to bottom feeder VMI was what sunk the Terrier's boat.

I don't know if it is a fallacy. I would be hard to swallow being an ASU fan. But aside from ASU fans it might be a little more understandable. If last year, they were 10-1 (with the remainder of their schedule in place and ASU had been their loss) and they got in and ASU did not (I know ASU was not 7-4 last year but assuming they had been) , it would not have been understandable. But this year 10-1 beating JMU and SCSt, their argument goes way up. My point before in this thread or another, is that you can't base the selection on one game. Unless that one game is the only worthwhile game you play. I understand that ASU has played a much tougher schedule, which goes back to my previous comment on the AD scheduling two money games. But at some point there has to be a certain number of losses that says you don't go to the playoffs.

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I don't know if it is a fallacy. I would be hard to swallow being an ASU fan. But aside from ASU fans it might be a little more understandable. If last year, they were 10-1 (with the remainder of their schedule in place and ASU had been their loss) and they got in and ASU did not (I know ASU was not 7-4 last year but assuming they had been) , it would not have been understandable. But this year 10-1 beating JMU and SCSt, their argument goes way up. My point before in this thread or another, is that you can't base the selection on one game. Unless that one game is the only worthwhile game you play. I understand that ASU has played a much tougher schedule, which goes back to my previous comment on the AD scheduling two money games. But at some point there has to be a certain number of losses that says you don't go to the playoffs.

At that point you should be a mad desperate rush to fill the schedules with Mansfields, Charleston Southerns, Johnson C Smiths, Savannah States, etc.

It's not just the money games, it's the SoCon slate instead of the 5 straight patsies.
And I still can't see the stock going up much by a close win over 24th ranked SC State.

JMU is another thing altogether. But it's funny that the JMU game and win was labeled and hyped as last year's #1 (Nat Champ) yet I don't recall seeing the Elon game/win as over last year's #172nd ranked team, etc. :eek: :eek:

rokamortis
October 7th, 2005, 09:04 PM
At that point you should be a mad desperate rush to fill the schedules with Mansfields, Charleston Southerns, Johnson C Smiths, Savannah States, etc.

It's not just the money games, it's the SoCon slate instead of the 5 straight patsies.
And I still can't see the stock going up much by a close win over 24th ranked SC State.

JMU is another thing altogether. But it's funny that the JMU game and win was labeled and hyped as last year's #1 (Nat Champ) yet I don't recall seeing the Elon game/win as over last year's #172nd ranked team, etc. :eek: :eek:

To your point - you don't see the ASU releases say that Coastal has a weak schedule or went 10-1 last year in the weak Big South, just that we were ranked when you beat us and are ranked again.

SoCon48
October 8th, 2005, 08:03 AM
To your point - you don't see the ASU releases say that Coastal has a weak schedule or went 10-1 last year in the weak Big South, just that we were ranked when you beat us and are ranked again.

Good point. Coaches, SID's etc like to build up the opponent. Looks better when you win. Keeps players up for the game. Brings the fans.

But the LAST year's Nat'l Champs got a bit old. Which, BTW, was the kind of thing Elon used several years ago (previous yrs polls re: that year's opponents) to boost their bid for the SoCon membership.

rokamortis
October 8th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Good point. Coaches, SID's etc like to build up the opponent. Looks better when you win. Keeps players up for the game. Brings the fans.

But the LAST year's Nat'l Champs got a bit old. Which, BTW, was the kind of thing Elon used several years ago (previous yrs polls re: that year's opponents) to boost their bid for the SoCon membership.

Well - that early in the season you have to go by last years stats as that is all you have. It may have gotten old but it was true. But you are right - it all depends how they finish this year if it really matters or not.

AppGuy04
October 8th, 2005, 10:31 AM
The fact that you guys beat them and then lose the very next week by a ton shows two things:
1. You guys are inconsistent
2. JMU is not the same team as last year.

Nuff said

rokamortis
October 8th, 2005, 11:26 AM
The fact that you guys beat them and then lose the very next week by a ton shows two things:

Nuff said

I don't think most JMU fans would agree with you.

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Nuff said
This early in the year its difficult to say, JMU has Maine, UMass and Delaware the next three weeks, we will know how good they are shortly

JMU2004
October 8th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I don't think most JMU fans would agree with you.

I agree with him....we are not the same team as last year.

We may get there, but our effort against CCU was very sub-par compared to what we saw last year

rokamortis
October 8th, 2005, 02:11 PM
We may get there, but our effort against CCU was very sub-par compared to what we saw last year

That is one performance.

And I've heard people saying that you guys are back on track - and it appeqars to be true.