PDA

View Full Version : Best TV/Radio announcer in FCS

OrygunBison
April 14th, 2008, 05:29 PM
My vote is for Scotty Miller. He gets me going when I can't be in the stands. My, oh, my...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY

PantherRob82
April 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Probably everyone's hometown guy. ;)

Cocky
April 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
He is not working right now. Mike Parris is the best and word on the street, he is coming back.

'neers80
April 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM
i agree, it's hard not to be partial to your home team. david jackson - play by play for app won an award for sportscaster of the year in north carolina. not to shabby considering the other big schools in the state of north carolina!

catamount man
April 14th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I'm not too big on our "voice" Gary Ayers. Now our color commentator, Brandon Stephens, IMO is great! They both have extensive histories of calling games in the high school ranks in western NC as well as calling Catamount basketball games, but Ayers...eh, I wish he would have more pizazz and fire about him.

Sounds like he is reading from a book sometimes.

Our LEGENDARY former color commentator, and longtime Western Carolina SID, Steve White was the main reason I took the headphones into the stadium. Whitey lives and dies Catamount athletics and it always showed in the broadcasts. We miss him, but he is now over the W CLUB aka all the former lettermen and they are always throwing a big bash on game day.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

OrygunBison
April 14th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Are there links to some of these guys on the air? Homer-isms aside, I love to hear how excited some of these guys can get.

TheBisonator
April 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I wanna see some audio links to some other FCS school's announcers. I just know there's a ton of great playcalling talent out there.

AppAlum2003
April 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm partial to this call by David Jackson :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q5JPeJnRi6s&feature=related

SideLine Shooter
April 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM

Has to Be. I'm partial to David Jackson myself...xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
April 14th, 2008, 07:49 PM

I resemble that remark!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xbowx xbowx

SideLine Shooter
April 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Todd Ellis for South Carolina does an excellent job!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

EKU05
April 14th, 2008, 08:35 PM
This seems like one of those topics where everyone will basically pick their own guy, but it's always interesting to mention that the incomprable Greg Stotelmyer, the voice of the Colonels for over a quarter century, is actually a grduate of Western Kentucky University. On very rare occasions we are able to turn them away from the dark side.

zilla
April 14th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Matt Hogue (play-by-play)
Lane Harris (color commentator)
Joe Cashion (sideline reporter)

Our guy, Matt Hogue, also conducts play-by-play for all of the Big South sporting events televised on SportsSouth. xthumbsupx

McNeese72
April 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Not saying our radio guys are the best, they are probably far from it but the McNeese radio guys can be heard on the game video replays on the Tarver Media Production website. They tied the radio audio to the video for the replays. (Note: the Louisiana Lafayette game audio doesn't start until a couple of minutes into the replay. They had trouble with that one.)

Tarver Media Productions (http://www.tarvermedia.com/)

Doc

Jerbearasu
April 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM

My favorite David Jackson call is the "Miracle on the Mountain". I can't find a direct link to it but you can find it on goasu.com in the multimedia page. I love when Avery Hall yells "we're gonna get penalized here because fans are on the field" and David responds with "WHO CARES!?!?!"

KiddBrewer
April 14th, 2008, 09:11 PM

i pick david jackson as well. biased ofcourse.

ps. that video kinda bothers me a bit....."Division 1-AA powerhouse Appalachian State came into the big house with no expectations of winning...".......thats why theyd played right, to win?

pss. im not trying to make this another michigan-app discussion. just thinking outloud.

Big Dawg
April 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I'm picking Keith Miles(yeah it sounds a little biased)...I pretty much grew up listening to him.

You guys should really listen to FAMU games this season..."MOVE THOSE CHAINS, It's another Rattler FIRST DOWN!!!"

NYJMUSupporter
April 14th, 2008, 09:29 PM
You have gotta love Mike Shickman who calls the games for the Dukes. He has his moments, but he makes some amazing calls: Check out this clip from 04. His call on the punt return for a td is unreal!: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RV-axmW9gQo

Hoyadestroya85
April 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Ryan Fannon from Villanova... the most enthusiastic energetic announcer on earth even though he does commentary for our football games he's still the best.

Sly Fox
April 14th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Hogue is a homer's homer ... especially on Big South broadcasts. He does a decent job but so do most guys who have worked a mic for at least a couple of years.

Will somebody pull KK's nose out of Conway's hind quarters?

Dallas Demon
April 15th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Patrick Netherton of Northwestern St. easily. He constantly gets kudos when from opposing Big 12/SEC fans when we play those schools in football/basketball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drr10nbhx1E

Shellin
April 15th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Going with the theme of choosing the hometown announcer I do, for the most part, really like Mick Holien and Scott Gurnsey calling games on the radio for the Griz. For the most part when games are televised I mute our tv guys and listen to the game on the radio (I think quite a few Griz fans, or at least those that I know, do this also)

uofmman1122
April 15th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Mick Holien is tough to beat.

My room mates thought I was crazy when we'd watch the away games, and I'd mute the TV and listen to the radio. xlolx

Little off topic, but I really miss the old intro we had at games when they'd do Mick's radio calls while showing Montana on Griz Vision. The new one's not bad, but I felt a little more pumped after the old one.

Edit: Also, hivemind with Shellin was unintentional. lol

mvemjsunpx
April 15th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Going with the theme of choosing the hometown announcer I do, for the most part, really like Mick Holien and Scott Gurnsey calling games on the radio for the Griz. For the most part when games are televised I mute our tv guys and listen to the game on the radio (I think quite a few Griz fans, or at least those that I know, do this also)

The KPAX TV announcers are usually as bad as Holien & Gurnsey are good. I am infinitely grateful that Jeremy Jorgenson isn't here to do those telecasts anymore. His announcing could only appeal to those that love squeaky-voiced teens.

SuperJon
April 15th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Matt Hogue (play-by-play)
Lane Harris (color commentator)
Joe Cashion (sideline reporter)

Our guy, Matt Hogue, also conducts play-by-play for all of the Big South sporting events televised on SportsSouth. xthumbsupx

I hate Hogue. He's by far the biggest whiner I've ever heard when things aren't going Coastal's way. He makes excuses no matter who they're playing.

appfan2008
April 15th, 2008, 07:47 AM
as with everyone else i am going for the hometown guy...
but honestly i believe he is one of the best

SideLine Shooter
April 15th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I hate Hogue. He's by far the biggest whiner I've ever heard when things aren't going Coastal's way. He makes excuses no matter who they're playing.

I agree with you on that. xthumbsupx

813Jag
April 15th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Not our's our radio broadcast team is the worst. xnonono2x Especially when you depend on these guys all season. xnonono2x

NYJMUSupporter
April 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I dont know how you can call the App State Analyst one of the best. He screamed like a moron after App blocked the field goal against UM. He ruined your play by play guys call. That guys in rediculous!

AppAlum2003
April 15th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I dont know how you can call the App State Analyst one of the best. He screamed like a moron after App blocked the field goal against UM. He ruined your play by play guys call. That guys in rediculous!

I wonder what the JMU announcers sounded like when your RB fumbled the game away at The Rock. xrotatehx

Not trying to turn this into smack, but let's refrain from calling each other's favorites "morons" and "ridiculous." xpeacex

That call isn't really representative of DJ, anyway. I just couldn't help posting another "App beats Michigan" reference.

HiHiYikas
April 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I've only ever listened to one or two other play-by-play combos other that Appalachian's. I really like David Jackson - I'd classify him more as an "up-and-comer" than one of the best. He does get a little too excited sometimes. I think everybody's hometown guy does that. I love Steve Brown simply because he is the 180-degree opposite of "non-regional dialect." Plus, he gets even more worked up than DJ.

I thought JMU's guys were pretty good. One guy had that stereotypically nasal quality that actually works pretty well in sports announcing, kind of like one of Harry Shearer's many voices.

AshevilleApp2
April 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM

I believe the screaming moron was Steve Smith.

NYJMUSupporter
April 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I am sorry for calling him a moron. I am sure he is a very smart guy. However on that particular call, he screamed the entire time and in my opinion ruined the call.

To answer the question about how our annoucers called the fumble, just a lot of silence. There was a lot of silence around the entire JMU Nation that day =(

AppAlum2003
April 15th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I am sorry for calling him a moron. I am sure he is a very smart guy. However on that particular call, he screamed the entire time and in my opinion ruined the call.

To answer the question about how our annoucers called the fumble, just a lot of silence. There was a lot of silence around the entire JMU Nation that day =(

Sorry for bringing that up. Your post just rubbed me the wrong way. Let's just let bygones be bygones and hope the game @JMU this year is just as exciting! xnodx

wapiti
April 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM

I would agree, the tv announcers for the griz games are awful!!!!!!
I have never heard the griz radio announcer, I tune my radio to the Bobcat announcer. He does ok, but I miss Dean Alexander, he was fantastic.

AshevilleApp2
April 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM

No harm done buddy. Are you going to be at the game September 20? We should try to have a sort of Grizzfest east among AGS'ers.

NYJMUSupporter
April 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I will be at the game and I would very much enjoy that. I have the highest level of respect for your program. I really hope that this rivalry continues to grow. Our schools and programs are very similar and I think a rivalry between our schools is great for FCS Football

trouthunter
April 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM

This is probably the one and only time my fellow AGS'ers will hear a Griz fan no be a slobberin' homer--but the Griz television announcers Kyle Buck and Grady Bennett are absolutely AWFUL!

It is about a 400 mile one way trip to a game, so I am forced to watch several games a season, and their play calling, and especially the "color" is extremely horrendous.

You have to find a radio station to hear descent commentating.

furman94
April 15th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Chuck Hussion! He is Paladin Football! Any FU fan can back mne up on that! I'll try and find a link...

proasu89
April 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM

No one here has said Steve Brown (color guy) was one of the best. All comments have been about David Jackson, our play by play man.xthumbsupx

TheBisonator
April 15th, 2008, 06:32 PM
The KPAX TV announcers are usually as bad as Holien & Gurnsey are good. I am infinitely grateful that Jeremy Jorgenson isn't here to do those telecasts anymore. His announcing could only appeal to those that love squeaky-voiced teens.

Jeremy Jorgenson is now NDSU's broadcast media director.xreadx

trouthunter
April 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Jeremy Jorgenson is now NDSU's broadcast media director.xreadx

Is he any better?