PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs Cal Poly: Lessdoooiiiiittttt!!!!!!!

ndsubison
October 3rd, 2005, 09:41 PM
After a hard-fought Nicholls State game (hats off to all you Colonels) the Bison are gearing up for a bigtime showdown in San Luis Obisbo against the 'Stangs. Two top ten teams, two stout D's, a potential Great West Conference title on the line: it's all shaping up to be one hell of a wknd! Good luck to the Mustangs but better luck to the B-I-S-O-N! xprost2x

Bisonforlife
October 3rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
It's going to be a long week waiting for this game. Can't imagine being a player waiting to play this game because as a fan I can't wait for kickoff - it should be a dandy :) :nod: :nod: :nod:

Tod
October 3rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
If not THE game of the week, certainly A game of the week. This one should be televised nation-wide. :nod: :nod: :)

TxSt02
October 3rd, 2005, 09:58 PM
If not THE game of the week, certainly A game of the week. This one should be televised nation-wide. :nod: :nod: :)

Is it televised on any channel???

slostang
October 3rd, 2005, 10:27 PM
This is the type of game that it will be a shame that one team has to lose. I can not wait for this Saturday. It should be a classic.

Stang Fever
October 3rd, 2005, 10:29 PM
no tv...anyone making the trip.....

rcny46
October 4th, 2005, 01:31 AM
To me,this is definitely the game of the week,and I'm an east coaster.

ndsubison
October 4th, 2005, 01:33 AM
This is the type of game that it will be a shame that one team has to lose. I can not wait for this Saturday. It should be a classic.

An absolute classic. I got the BISON by 10.

ndsubison
October 4th, 2005, 01:37 AM

Hoooldonnow! Is that a Griz fan givvin da Bison sum props? Howboutthat? And to think that 2 yrs ago you were predicting a 70-0 Griz whallop!?

BTW--was at the Bison/Nicholls game last wknd and actually saw a dude with a Griz tshirt on... :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

AZGrizFan
October 4th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Hoooldonnow! Is that a Griz fan givvin da Bison sum props? Howboutthat? And to think that 2 yrs ago you were predicting a 70-0 Griz whallop!?

BTW--was at the Bison/Nicholls game last wknd and actually saw a dude with a Griz tshirt on... :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Wow. One class act in the whole crowd?? :D :D

Love the Bison, but I'm afraid you'll be gettin' edgumucated this weekend...

DuckDuckGriz
October 4th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Would fans of either team go out on a limb and say that this is the biggest regular season game in either school's history?

Hansel
October 4th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Would fans of either team go out on a limb and say that this is the biggest regular season game in either school's history?
IAA history.... maybe....

slostang
October 4th, 2005, 07:40 PM
I would say so to this point. I think both teams will have many more this season. Cal Poly still has Montana, UC Davis, Eastern Washington and Idaho State after NDSU. All are ranked with the exception of Davis who should be by the time we play. Cal Poly can only afford only one loss if they want to assure a playoff spot this year.

Stang Fever
October 4th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Poly has a hard schedule....and if they want to make the playoffs..they are going to have to bring the A Game week in and week out....I dont know of anyother team that has so many ranked teams on the schedule....

Hansel
October 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Poly has a hard schedule....and if they want to make the playoffs..they are going to have to bring the A Game week in and week out....I dont know of anyother team that has so many ranked teams on the schedule....
NDSU has four ranked teams on the road, #21 NW St, #12 Mont St, #8 Poly, and #3 S. Illinois, plus Davis at home, who are ranked #20 in the AGS poll

I think this may be the biggest game in the short history of the GWFC, though depending on how things play out Poly @ Davis may be just as big down the road

slostang
October 4th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Or Davis at NDSU.

Pantherpower
October 4th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Game of the week in my book, which doesn't amount to much :) The Great West Conference is for real. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bison roll into Carbondale later this fall and take one from the Salukis.

The Fan
October 4th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Huge game this week for a couple of rising programs in the I-AA world. It's not fair to say that this is the biggest game historically speaking for either program as both have national titles but at this point every game is big.

This week everything comes down to the NDSU offense vs. the Mustang D. If the Bison move the ball and avoid mistakes, NDSU comes away with an easy victory (see EWU 2004).

The Poly offense is poorly designed and executed to mediocrity but there is enough talent to overcome many of the problems. Still, I don't see the offense putting up more than 17 on the Bison without some great field position.

CP 23 NDSU 20

PDXCat
October 4th, 2005, 11:29 PM
NDSU has four ranked teams on the road, #21 NW St, #12 Mont St, #8 Poly, and #3 S. Illinois, plus Davis at home, who are ranked #20 in the AGS poll

I think this may be the biggest game in the short history of the GWFC, though depending on how things play out Poly @ Davis may be just as big down the road

It's tough to play in the cow pasture that they call a fb stadium down there. They are renovating it to their credit but they make the visiting team face the pasture and it looks like a scrimmage. Very bush place to play for now - good luck NDSU - I hope you kick their hinneys.

slostang
October 5th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Hey we are a Ag school what do you expect. Any way I would rather have a good team in a bad stadium than a bad team in a good stadium. Where are you from PDXCat, Texas State?

Cal Poly Mustang
October 5th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Hey we are a Ag school what do you expect. Any way I would rather have a good team in a bad stadium than a bad team in a good stadium. Where are you from PDXCat, Texas State?

No, PDXCat is just an upset Montana State Bobcat fan. He picked MSU to beat the Mustangs 38-14 on bobcatnation.com. Keep that in the back of your mind when he bad mouths Cal Poly.

-- Go Mustangs!

slostang
October 5th, 2005, 01:04 AM
That explains a lot. Maybe next year Cat. Or maybe not for another 7 games.

DaGriz
October 5th, 2005, 09:40 AM
It's tough to play in the cow pasture that they call a fb stadium down there. They are renovating it to their credit but they make the visiting team face the pasture and it looks like a scrimmage. Very bush place to play for now

Are you talking about Cal Poly's field or the field in Bozeman?

WYOBISONMAN
October 5th, 2005, 02:39 PM
For sure this will be the best game this week that is NOT on TV..... :bang:

How unfortunate we can't see it!

slostang
October 5th, 2005, 03:42 PM
WYOBISONMAN,

It is not to late for a road trip. I think this one might be worth the drive and you would fit right in with your green and gold. But I do agree, this one should be on television.

WYOBISONMAN
October 5th, 2005, 03:53 PM
WYOBISONMAN,

It is not to late for a road trip. I think this one might be worth the drive and you would fit right in with your green and gold. But I do agree, this one should be on television.

I would love to attend, especially since I am running low on good Zinfandel! But ..... My wife is not seeing it the same way... :eek:

Stang Fever
October 5th, 2005, 04:27 PM
When the staduim gets rebuilt it will be first rate...but until then you have to make due with what you have...I am so excited about this game...Its just to close to call....

I was watching the film last year...and man did we get lucky...there are at least 4 or 5 plays were if a person makes one more block...or the qb puts a little more touch on the ball...the game is over POLY looses....

Hate to compare NDSU to SDSU but looking at the film from last years game versus and that was the same thing i said about that game....and we all no what happened this year at SDSU...

This game could go so many different ways...

1) NDSU run game could just be to much for the Poly D, we have let some teams but up some good numbers in the run game this year....So NDSU beats us by 10 or so points

2) Poly gets there stuff together and stops NDSU run game....and Poly wins by 7

3) Could be a shoot out....were both offenses come out and show case what they have and it becomes lights out...who knows who wins...i guess whoever has the lights out

Keys to victory:

Win the turnover Battle

Play with GREAT EFFORT (if you NDSU fans dont know what that is...watch and see 11 green hats on every play flying all over the field...then watch NDSU and you will see 3-4 yellow hats on every play standing around watching a game)

And Win the 4th Quarter (you see this when you watch USC football...as long as you win in the fourth you have a chance at winning the game...

I believe the guy tats going to come up big for NDSU is going to be #84 the tightend...if we dont watch ou for him...he will have a big day

slostang
October 5th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I am with you WYOBISONMAN. If I was still single I would not miss a game. I got lucky this year and will make 9 of the 11 games. If we make the playoffs this year it going to take a lot of talking to make any of them.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 5th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I love the Great West, man. They'll take all comers, schedule anyone, anytime, anyplace. They play the toughest teams from the toughest conferences and beat the hell out of each other and their best STILL wind up with records that make people say, "Man, you guys got screwed outta an at-large."

You have to love a bunch like that. I can't wait to see how this game plays out. Good luck to both teams.

DaGriz
October 5th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I'm a little suprised Poly fans aren't more confident for this weekend after shilacking the Cats and then the Cats beat NDSU. It would appear on paper Poly should have this game.

Bisonforlife
October 5th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I'm a little suprised Poly fans aren't more confident for this weekend after shilacking the Cats and then the Cats beat NDSU. It would appear on paper Poly should have this game.
I would tend to agree to a certain extent however each team matches up differently with different opponents. Bison and the Mustang should match up pretty evenly in my opinion.

slostang
October 5th, 2005, 10:48 PM
How many time have you seen team A beat team B, then team B goes on to beat team C only to see team C beat team A. The Bison are a sound team both offensively and defensively and I am taking nothing for granted. Plus Poly's win was at home and NDSU's loss was on the road. I am confident in Poly, but this one will be a dog fight.

Hansel
October 6th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Scores from 2004
SDSU 0, UC Davis 52
SDSU 24, NDSU 21
NDSU 25, UC Davis 7

slostang
October 6th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks Hansel. My point exactly. I am however looking for a different outcome Saturday. Are you making the trip Hansel?

Hansel
October 6th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks Hansel. My point exactly. I am however looking for a different outcome Saturday. Are you making the trip Hansel?
nope, I'll be listening on the internet, couldn't find any cheap flights from Iowa :(

slostang
October 7th, 2005, 12:22 AM
How about the rest of the Bison Nation. Anyone other than Roadwarrior making the trip to the beautiful California Coastal town of San Luis Obispo to see a classic old school football game. It has been in the mid to high 80's during the days and high 50's to low 60's at night this week.

Hansel
October 7th, 2005, 08:32 AM
North Dakota State has yet to play a Great West Football Conference game and already the Bison are in a must-win situation.

League leader California Poly, NDSU’s opponent on Saturday, is 2-0 with games left against winless Southern Utah and 2-2 California Davis.

“This could pretty much determine the rest of the season for us,” Bison noseguard Rodney Thompson said.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=105052&section=Sports

Hansel
October 7th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Turn back the clock to Nov. 6, 2004.

The Mustangs are battered and severely bruised, limping off Woodward Field with their heads down along with their spirits following Eastern Washington's dominating 38-21 college football victory in Cheney, Wash.

In the locker room, Cal Poly strong safety Aaron Williams is clutching the training table in visible pain, uncertain about his next step after suffering what initially was thought to be a season-ending knee injury.

Running back Geno Randle is next to him with a bulky bag of ice taped to a swollen ankle that limited him to a season-low 33 yards rushing.

It was a cold, dark night for a promising Cal Poly football team that had lost back-to-back games and put its playoff hopes in peril.

"It was like our guts were still hanging out from the UC Davis loss," Cal Poly receiver Jonah Russell recalled after Thursday's practice. "I don't feel like we played our best game that night. ... Geno was hurt and we couldn't run the football. I don't take anything away from them because they're a great team, but I don't think they saw our best team that night.

"That was a terrible feeling and we don't want that feeling at all this year."

The Mustangs haven't felt that same pain since, manhandling their next six Division I-AA opponents.

In fact, Cal Poly hasn't trailed in a Division I-AA game since the Nov. 6 loss, going 24 quarters without a deficit.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/12840505.htm

WYOBISONMAN
October 7th, 2005, 02:13 PM
No doubt that Poly is one of the schools that is the class of DI-AA. Let's all hope the selection committee keeps that in mind when picking for the post season. Poly will likely only have one DI-AA loss and that would be to a highly touted NDSU team......

X-Factor
October 7th, 2005, 03:23 PM
No doubt that Poly is one of the schools that is the class of DI-AA. Let's all hope the selection committee keeps that in mind when picking for the post season. Poly will likely only have one DI-AA loss and that would be to a highly touted NDSU team......

I dissagree. Their remaining schedule is what appears to be much tougher than their initial 5 games. They play NDSU, Montana, EWU, and UC Davis. Those 4 games could wind up being 4 wins or 4 losses...or anything in between. Montana is not the usual Montana by any means, but you can never count them out. EWU soundly beat Poly last year and they dont look to be that much weaker now, especially with the Eric(k)'s deap aireal attack. UC Davis is the team that may really open some eyes by the end of the season. And it all starts unfolding this weekend in SLO.

If the Mustang's go 9-2 again this year, there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that they will make the playoffs.

Aggie71
October 7th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Poly deserves a shot at the playoffs. The Ags are still jealous of both Poly and NDSU for their national championships in D2. Lotta respect for both.

When NDSU, SDSU, NCU and UCD are eligible, the west is gunna look really good!!

CKelly
October 7th, 2005, 04:45 PM
If Poly goes 8-3, they deserve a shot at the playoffs...that means they would have gone 4-2 against this group (EWU, Montana St. Montana, UCD, NDSU, and Idaho St.) That would more impressive that what many teams could bring to the table.

X-Factor
October 7th, 2005, 04:57 PM
If Poly goes 8-3, they deserve a shot at the playoffs...that means they would have gone 4-2 against this group (EWU, Montana St. Montana, UCD, NDSU, and Idaho St.) That would more impressive that what many teams could bring to the table.

++

unless the playoff committee disqualifes Poly's wins/losses against UCD and NDSU. Either way its not a valid excuse, but who knows what is seen through their eyes.

Stang Fever
October 7th, 2005, 08:50 PM

8-3 will look good going up against those teams you said....Before the season i said poly would be 8-3 and at best 9-2....so if that happens...you cant over look the stangs two years in a row...and plus you know how the commite likes to make up for mistakes in the previous year

slostang
October 7th, 2005, 09:14 PM
If NDSU and UCD were not transitioning teams, I think the GWFC would have good chance at two or three team making the playoffs this year. Current GPI: NDUS #2, Cal Poly #3 and UCD #10. If the GWFC stays together, look out I-AA.

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 07:58 AM
North Dakota State is ranked second in the Division I-AA Gridiron Power Index.

The Bison check in at 12th in the polls and own one of the Great West Football Conference's biggest wins of the season, knocking off perennial playoff power Northwestern State 35-7 in Louisiana on Sept. 10.

But there is a glass ceiling.

North Dakota State, in its second year of a four-year transition from Division II to I-AA, is ineligible for the 16-team playoffs during the transition period.

So while defending Great West champion and ninth-ranked Cal Poly (4-1, 2-0) has an ultimate goal of making the playoffs and vying for a national title, North Dakota State's aspirations are restricted to conference crowns the next couple of seasons.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/sports/12851592.htm

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Mike Dragosavich came to North Dakota State as a receiver who could maybe punt the ball. Now he is a punter who doesn’t have much interest in receiving.

The 6-foot-5 sophomore has taken the kicking trade to heights he never imagined.

“There’s a lot more to it than a lot of people notice,” Dragosavich said. “One inch either way and it can be a 12-yarder or a 60-yard bomb.”

He’s had more bombs than shanks this year. If NDSU was part of the NCAA DivisionI-AA football statistics (it isn’t because of the reclassification), Dragosavich would be sixth in the country with his 44.0-yard average.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=105222&section=Sports

AmsterBison
October 8th, 2005, 08:51 AM
I hope the Great West sticks together - I like the teams in it, but we need a conference for our other sports so that's my first wish.

Anyway, this should be a good game, possibly a great game... I just have a bad feeling that, unless something changes, NDSU is going to get nothing on first and second down like they did against Montana State. That would out the game right into SLO's hands.

slostang
October 8th, 2005, 10:34 AM
My hope is that NDSU and SDSU would join the Mid Con. (the conference that SUU is in) in all other sports. I know this is not popular with either school, but it would keep the GWFC alive.

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM
My hope is that NDSU and SDSU would join the Mid Con. (the conference that SUU is in) in all other sports. I know this is not popular with either school, but it would keep the GWFC alive.
Some NDSU fans (like myself), wish the same..

slostang
October 8th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Another wish, but far less probable, would be for the Big Sky to admit NDSU and SDSU in as full members and Cal Poly, UCD and SUU as football only members. Then they could split football into two divisions like the A-10 and form a super conference. If that were the case today, it would have six top 25 teams with UCD soon to be ranked. That would IMO make it the best conference in I-AA. Unfortunately I do not see the Big Sky agreeing to this.

Bisonforlife
October 8th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Another wish, but far less probable, would be for the Big Sky to admit NDSU and SDSU in as full members and Cal Poly, UCD and SUU as football only members. Then they could split football into two divisions like the A-10 and form a super conference. If that were the case today, it would have six top 25 teams with UCD soon to be ranked. That would IMO make it the best conference in I-AA. Unfortunately I do not see the Big Sky agreeing to this.
I would be all for this but can't see it happening. :(

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Too many teams IMO, the real downside to the Big Sky for me is I want to play SDSU, Davis, and Poly every year, if we join the BSC, it probably isn't going to happen

ndsubison
October 8th, 2005, 05:58 PM

I completely agree, Slot. The 'Sky lacks vision. Granted, NDSU hasn't exactly made ourselves welcome by beating the ***** out all bsc teams the last 3 yrs. Exception: Montana State. Good game but the Bison found a way to give it away at the end. If SU doesn't get into the Sky within 2 yrs, I predict a Mtn West/WAC bid and a big ***** YOU to the aforementioned lackeys.

NDSU Bison
We Are For Real

Tod
October 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Hey Hansel, when does this game start? It's getting late.

Hansel
October 8th, 2005, 06:19 PM
8 o'clock CST, :(

Tod
October 8th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Actually, I'm glad. Now there's a damn good (and important!) game this evening.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

AmsterBison
October 8th, 2005, 06:28 PM

That works for me.