PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern roster?

Keeper
April 11th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Many key players are missing from CSU spring roster.

QBs Eli Byrd, Sidney Bryant.
RBs Alexius Ferguson, Reggie Ellington.
DB Matt Bach.

Any news?

BJuice
April 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I don't have any news, maybe somebody else does. However, this does peak my interest and make sme go, hmmmmm.

The QB's: From the what I have seen the past couple years in the stands from these two, I think we can do better and need to do better. I just don't get the feeling that either of these two QB's match coach Mills' system or can handle it. His system can make you a prolific passer, and will allow a good QB to put up big time numbers (see Collin Drafts); however, you have to be smart enough to handle it and use it to its fullest potential. Can these two handle it? I don't know. I haven't seen any proof. Hopefully this transfer that we signed this year will be something special.

The RB's: I think these two were pretty solid contributors last year. I thought they were pretty good and had pretty good potential. However, my friends (who are pretty big Clemson fans) keep telling me that Charleston Southern is still on Ray Ray's list as a place to transfer. If Ray Ray doesn't held to CSU, the #1 spot at RB (IMO) is Moon's. Moon is real good.

The LB: He was a contributor, but that is all I have on him.

We shall see.

CSUBUCDAD
April 12th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Getting ready to head out for the spring game and just dropped in to check the latest and WOW, printed out the roster and not only are they not listed, but I do not see ANY of the JUCO transfers listed on the roster and most glaringly Gabe Gilmour, R-Fr. is the only QB listed on the roster. WTF. Well, guess we will see what is shaking here shortly.

Sly Fox
April 12th, 2008, 08:49 AM
The JUCOs probably are finishing up this spring before arriving this summer. But the details on the rest of the MIA weapons would be appreciated.

CSUBUCDAD
April 12th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Well, could not get definitive word on why Eli and Sydney are not on the roster but my guess from what I saw at the spring game is that they got cut in favor of two new QBS on the roster who are R-Fr. Gabe Gilmour and Jr transfer Augustine Toscano. Both young men fit the Jay Mills offense much better than either Eli or Sydney did. The roster on the team site is a bit different than the roster we got at the spring game. Several of the JUCO are already enrolled including Toscano and DB Greg Tompkins. Toscano has the starting QB job coming out of spring camp.

QB's did not line up under center on a single snap today. One surprise on offense was R-FR RB B.J. Hackworth. At 6' 227 he packs a pretty solid punch running the ball. Keep in mind though we still have Antwan Ivey (Florida player of the year) coming in to compete for the starting spot as a true freshman.

Overall the Bucs look much better this year than last. A full season with a strength and conditioning coach for the first time in team history has the team looking much stronger. The defense finally has the nasty attitude it needs to have under new Defensive Coordinator Thielen Smith.

All in all a much better spring game than last year and the Bucs looked much sharper on both sides of the ball.

Pssst: They do need to find a center though. Had trouble with the snap all day.

BJuice
April 13th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Good stuff!!! Thanks for the update. I cannot wait for the season. I still stand behind what I said about the two QB's (Bryant & Byrd).

I did see that DB Matt Bach was the recipient the Eddie Gadson memorial scholarship for this coming year. That answers the question about him. Good for him.

Glad to hear the report on the defense and the RB's.

The countdown is on to Miami. Bring on the Canes GOOOOOOO BUCS!!!

paward
April 13th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Cut? is that the word on them. I did not think that happens, well none renewal of scholarship will get the same results huh.

CSUBUCDAD
April 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Latest word is if Byrd threw in the towel himself. No definative word on Bryant of the two RB's that I could get.

Sly Fox
April 13th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Interesting. We have one of Toscano's JUCO teammates in the mix at LB for us this spring. Thanks for the clarification.

CSU BUCS
April 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM
RB Alexus Ferguson Graduated and has accepted a Job working as the residence life coordinator on campus and has thus decided to forgo his 5th year of eligibility.

and Matt Bach won the Eddie Gadson award during the spring, so he's still there.

catdaddy2402
April 16th, 2008, 12:12 PM
The defense finally has the nasty attitude it needs to have under new Defensive Coordinator Thielen Smith.

Not a surprise. Thielen is an intense coach that sadly didn't buy into the DC's scheme at Clemson. He certainly isn't afraid to get after players that he feels aren't giving their total effort. One year in spring camp I thought he was going to have a stroke because of Vontrell Jamison.