PDA

View Full Version : Texas Southern's Bobby Reid Featured on ESPN

3rd Coast Tiger
April 11th, 2008, 04:52 PM
TSU Quarterback Bobby Reid Featured on ESPN

New Texas Southern University (TSU) Quarterback Bobby Reid will be featured on ESPN’s “College Game Day” airing Saturday, April 12 at 11 a.m. The feature will spotlight Reid’s football career at North Shore High School, his rise and fall at Oklahoma State University (OSU) and his decision to withdraw from the NFL draft and play his final college season at TSU. Texas Southern Football Head Coach Johnnie Cole will also talk about Reid’s impact on the team and how he convinced Reid to play at TSU.

Reid was a top quarterback at North Shore High School, where as a senior he led the team to the Class 5A Division I Championship. He was also named Houston Touchdown Club’s Offensive Player of the Year, and the all-Greater Houston, all-district and the district’s Most Valuable Player. In his senior year he accounted for 38 touchdowns, 22 passing and 16 rushing, and a combined 2,650 yards. Reid was also named to both the national and Texas Top 100 recruiting lists, and attended the prestigious Elite 11 Quarterback Camp in California. During his sophomore season at Oklahoma State, Reid had 2,226 yards, 24 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

Reid was one of the 35 quarterbacks placed on the 2007 Manning Awardwatch list.

http://www.tsu.edu/about/trans/displ...?id=960&type=1

3rd Coast Tiger
April 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Reid: Gundy's rant "basically ended my life"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3341578

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0320/ncf_a_reid_195.jpg

Problem was, Reid's body language was brutal. If an NFL scout had watched him this February, they would've closed their notepad and shuffled off. He had no fire, no swagger, no gleam in his eye.

But little did Reid know, a local coach at Texas Southern University had something in mind. His name was Johnnie Cole, and even though he'd just inherited an 0-11 team, he had a plan: Get Bobby Reid.

Cole had to sell Reid fast. He told him he'd tutored Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson at Alabama State, that he knew how to take a SWAC quarterback to the NFL. He told him he'd run a pro offense, with bootleg and play-action packages, that there'd be no gimmicky spread offense. He said, "You've got this cloud over you. They're questioning your heart. All it takes is a year to get it back."

Reid weighed it all, and withdrew from the draft. In the end, Cole -- a former QB at TSU -- promised Reid there wouldn't be a Zac Robinson looking over his shoulder. He promised he didn't drink Red Bull. Reid's smile resurfaced.

He was humble, too. Reid was once supposed to be Vince Young, but now he was practicing under goalposts that needed a paint job. Most would've turned up their nose at the opportunity, but Reid bunkered down. By the time spring practice began, this April 7, Reid was the unquestioned leader of the team.

"I've coached a lot of 'em, including Tarvaris Jackson, and Reid's special," Cole says. "I think he's going to be a first-day guy in the 2009 draft. If he'd left this year, he'd have been just a guy, so I think his decision to come back made him a couple million. He's got his swagger back. You should see that arm. The players are already following him."

He'll play this coming season against the Gramblings and the Alcorn States. But he probably won't be on TV, probably won't be on YouTube, probably won't watch Oklahoma State and probably ... won't read the newspaper.

"What I experienced up there in Oklahoma, something was taken away from me," he says. "Now I'm just trying to get it back. There was talk out there that I was soft and all that crap. But I just want everybody to know I'm not going anywhere. You can try to knock me down, but I'm standing on my feet strong."

It's just what he wanted to tell the co-ed at that party last year:

I'm a man. I'm 22.

Read the entire story here...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3341578

Sly Fox
April 11th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I'm cheering for Bobby. He's a good kid and still has the talent to be a big time baller. Who would've guessed two years ago that the OU & OSU starting QBs would both be playing for Houston area FCS schools?

TexasTerror
April 11th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I think Bobby Reid is a sensational athlete. Wonder what pieces around him there are at Texas Southern and glad that the football coach upgraded the schedule with Arkansas St and Texas St - San Marcos. Without those two schools and two sub-Div I schools in their place, it wouldn't of been good...

already123
April 14th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I wish all the best for Bobbly Reid and TSU this season....Lord knows the need it!

catamount man
April 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
He's pissed because Gundy wouldn't play him and that's all. My God, I wish more coaches would stand up for their players the way Mike Gundy did. Reid couldn't handle riding the pine, plain and simple. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Mouse
April 14th, 2008, 06:14 PM
hmmm maybe Jenni Carlson had a point

TexasTerror
April 14th, 2008, 06:51 PM
It is interesting to take a glimpse at both sides of the stories...

Seems Reid had a little bit of a shell shock when he was made the number two QB.

Sometimes in football, you lose your spot. Hope Reid, if he makes any level of professional football, realizes it is a business.

thmst30
April 14th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Uhhhhh, not hating on Reid but that article essentially epitomizes what the newspaper article was about. I mean come on, you quote his mother saying they should have played her son, and have her taking several shots at the evil coach who benched him?!?!?! If you really want to move forward Bobby you should have NEVER agreed to this article, it really makes him look soft and like a crybaby because he lost his spot. I of course don't know a damn thing about the kid, he's probably a great kid. I'm just saying that THIS particular article has him coming across that way. Anyway, good luck to him in the future.

TexasTerror
April 14th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Uhhhhh, not hating on Reid but that article essentially epitomizes what the newspaper article was about. I mean come on, you quote his mother saying they should have played her son, and have her taking several shots at the evil coach who benched him?!?!?! If you really want to move forward Bobby you should have NEVER agreed to this article, it really makes him look soft and like a crybaby because he lost his spot. I of course don't know a damn thing about the kid, he's probably a great kid. I'm just saying that THIS particular article has him coming across that way. Anyway, good luck to him in the future.

His coach probably wanted him to do the article. Publicity for his program and namely, himself. Not sure they knew what they'd get out of it, but probably thought people would see it Bobby's way...

Like you, I hope for the best for Bobby Reid...

3rd Coast Tiger
April 14th, 2008, 08:10 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx at some of these comments.

blackcaesar3k5
April 17th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Jenni Carlson is nothing but a ****..

3rd Coast Tiger
April 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Jenni Carlson is nothing but a ****..

Basically, she was exposing herself to other media outlets for a higher profile job. I wonder if she'll come down to Houston to cover our games now as a follow up from her previous articles. xrolleyesx

813Jag
April 17th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Basically, she was exposing herself to other media outlets for a higher profile job. I wonder if she'll come down to Houston to cover our games now as a follow up from her previous articles. xrolleyesx
Maybe she can come to Baton Rouge, we can guarentee that she won't follow the Tigers any more. xlolx

Retro
April 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Gundy did what he had to do it sounds to me.. It's not about 1 player, it's about the team.. If his rant was offensive to reid, then reid is in for a tough road ahead.
Reid sounds like a great athlete and student, but he is obviously injury prone and doesn't like being 2nd fiddle regardless of the situation.. Maybe he is mentally soft or doesn't have the fire to play through the minor injuries, but only time will tell..
He's going to realize at TSU that he doesn't have the supporting cast he did at OSU and he will really have to put up big numbers all year long and stay injury free to get any NFL attention.. If can't take the punishment of the college level, your definitely not going to be able to handle it in the NFL.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM
...to get any NFL attention..

xlolx Ask Coach Johnnie Cole if he isn't getting any already. xlolx

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2008, 04:53 PM
xlolx Ask Coach Johnnie Cole if he isn't getting any already. xlolx

He's going to get some due to his athleticism...a lot more players get NFL attention than one thinks.

I was surprised when I found out which players scouts were coming to watch at some of the FCS games I've attended over the years.

Question is -- will he stay healthy? And can he produce results at TxSo? Those are the two questions. Doubt he'll get any mention for the Payton Award or any other top FCS honors -- but if he does successful in those two aforementioned areas (if he puts up Bruce Eugene numbers), he might.

blackcaesar3k5
April 18th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Reid is going excel within HOBO Offense.. He was the reason why Oklahoma State was successful back in 2006 and won Independence Bowl against Alabama.. People forget that fans want Reid back under center after Oklahoma State lost to Troy State..

813Jag
April 18th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Reid is going excel within HOBO Offense.. He was the reason why Oklahoma State was successful back in 2006 and won Independence Bowl against Alabama.. People forget that fans want Reid back under center after Oklahoma State lost to Troy State..
If they get playmakers around him, the O will be successful. But they'll get a test against PVU's defense.