PDA

View Full Version : Maine at #5 James Madison

JMU Duke Dog
October 3rd, 2005, 05:04 PM
http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stories/2_3360.asp?TeamID=2&NewsID=3360

HARRISONBURG, Oct. 3, 2005 – The James Madison University football team plays its Family Weekend game Saturday (Oct. 8) by hosting the University of Maine for the first time in three seasons. The Dukes and visiting Blacks Bears have played the last two seasons in Orono, Maine, with each team posting one series win during the last two years.

Both teams enter the game after impressive efforts a week ago. JMU opened its Atlantic 10 season with a 42-10 victory at Hofstra while Maine defeated non-league foe Albany 31-7 in a game play in Portland, Maine. JMU will take a 3-1 record into the game, and Maine is 2-2 overall and 0-1 in the Atlantic 10. The Bears lost 26-21 Sept. 17 at home to Richmond in their conference opener.

Maine also this season has played Division I-A Nebraska, losing 25-7 in a very competitive road game, and non-Division I-AA member William Penn (28-0 victory).

The Series

JMU holds a 6-4 lead in the series overall and a 3-1 advantage in games in Harrisonburg. Last season the Dukes won 24-20 in Orono, Maine, snapping the Black Bears’ three-game series winning streak and giving JMU its first victory there since 1997.

The teams first played in 1995 with the Dukes winning 21-17 at Maine, and JMU won the first four series games before Maine in 1999 handed the Atlantic 10 co-champion Dukes their only league loss (26-20) during a Division I-AA playoff season. That game started a three-game home series winning streak for the Bears and a period during which they won four of five series games overall.

Maine won the last series meeting in Harrisonburg, 17-6 in 2002.

Three of JMU’s series wins have come in dramatic fashion. In 1995 the Dukes won 21-17 at Maine on Mike Cawley’s 13-yard touchdown pass to Macey Brooks with 0:37 to play. JMU won 24-22 at Maine in 1997 on Greg Maddox’s 59-yard scoring pass to Lindsay Fleshman with 1:34 remaining, and the Dukes won 24-20 last season on Justin Rascati’s 23-yard scoring toss to D.D. Boxley with 0:48 left.

Last Season

JMU scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns after falling behind 20-10 and won on Boxley’s 23-yard scoring catch from Rascati with 0:48 to play.

JMU’s game-winning, four-play drive covered 55 yards and took only 24 seconds following a 35-yard punt return by L.C. Baker. The game-winning catch was his career-high 11th reception of the game for Boxley, who finished with a career-high 108 receiving yards.

JMU looked to have missed on its final scoring chance when the Dukes turned the ball over on downs at the Maine 45 with 2:21 left. However, the Bears advanced only to the 50 in three plays before punting to Baker.

JMU had pulled to within 20-17 with 14:54 left when Rascati scored on a seven-yard scramble four plays after Akeem Jordan’s 44-yard interception return to the Maine 19.

JMU took a 10-6 halftime lead only to see Maine put together consecutive scoring drives during the third quarter. The Bears held JMU without a first down on the first second-half series and went 54 yards for a touchdown during their initial series of the final half. They drove 68 yards in five plays to score on their second possession.

JMU went in front 10-6 with 1:36 left in the half when Rascati hit Chris Iorio with a five-yard touchdown pass to complete a 76-yard, 11-play drive. The Dukes had gotten possession on an interception by Tony LeZotte two plays after losing a fumble in Maine territory.

LeZotte was named the Atlantic 10’s co-rookie of the week after taking part in nine tackles.

ccd494
October 3rd, 2005, 05:34 PM
The ending of that game last year was the most horrifically coached and played last two minutes I have ever seen. Including video games. If I were the AD, I would have marched down to the field and demanded Cosgrove hand over the headset and clipboard and leave the premises immediately.

blur2005
October 4th, 2005, 12:30 AM
I'll be shocked if it is that close again.

JMU Duke Dog
October 5th, 2005, 07:42 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

Maine (2-2) at No. 5 James Madison (3-1), 1:30

James Madison looked like a defending champion last week. The Dukes were tied, 7-7, with Hofstra at the half before a second-half storm blew the Pride away. James Madison outscored the Pride, 35-3, after intermission and did it with the trademark running game, dominating defense and the occasional big play from quarterback Justin Rascati. The Dukes have dominated in all three of their victories, and continued good play will make people forget the surprising hiccup at Coastal Carolina. The Dukes’ defense should continue to perform well against Maine, but a tough Maine defense could keep James Madison from another huge blowout. The Black Bears have only allowed 14.5 points per game this year, and are holding opponents to 2.2 yards per carry on the ground. Maine has intercepted six passes and allowed only one touchdown pass. James Madison will put a dent in some of those numbers, but won’t run away from the Black Bears until late in the game.

Prediction: James Madison 27, Maine 13

blur2005
October 5th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Prediction about the game: All three running backs will score touchdowns.

mainejeff
October 5th, 2005, 10:24 PM
JMU 30 Maine 17.

blur2005
October 5th, 2005, 11:18 PM
JMU 35, Maine 17

Sam Adams
October 6th, 2005, 08:39 AM
I could see the Black Bears spoiling family weekend.

PapaBear
October 6th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I have not seen JMU play but I have great respect for their recent successes. I do not play the prognostigame, under any circumstances. Have been around this game FAAARRRR too long and seen too many crazy outcomes.

I will say this about Maine. They are an extremely explosive, physical team capable of beating anyone. With due respect to Mainjeff and his Cosgrove critiques, I believe their biggest challenges so far have NOT been coaching but have been consistency of execution -- mainly on offense and in the kicking game. You can lay that at the coaches' feet somewhat. But players have to own part of it, too.

Their typical drive stalls after two or three first downs, because of an umtimely sack, a penalty, a dropped ball, a missed receiver, a missed block resulting in a blown-up running play ... you get the idea. They seem unable to avoid these mishaps and they're also unable to recover from them and regain the lost yardage.

Then they have to punt. Enter Consistency Challenge No. 2. Navarro is a talented punter about every third or fourth time he punts the ball. More often, he shanks one or line drives a 35-yarder that gets returned 10 or 15 yards. You can't win at this level netting 20 yards per punt.

When they do score, they face Consistency Challenge No. 3: Kickoffs. They need to be able to place kickoffs inside the 10 (or into the end zone) consistently. Right now they only do it half the time, or less. The rest of the time, the opponent starts at the 35 or 40. Can't win at the Division I level doing that, either.

These are not challenges of scheme or talent. They are mental challenges. Challenges of focus and confidence. On any given Saturday, a talented but poorly focused team can snap out of its funk and play up to its capability.

Umass74
October 6th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Can someone from Maine fill us in on the Maine offense?

I listened to the Nebraska feed of the Maine game and the Black Bears put up a truly heroic defense.

But the Maine Offense does not seem on track. Only 28 points on William Penn? What are they NAIA?

bainsey
October 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM
And all of those 28 points came in the first half. The Maine O just packed it in the rest of the way.

I have a lot of confidence in the "Black Hole" defense, but the Maine O just hasn't showed me a lot of reason to be confident. PapaBear said it best: the Maine O and special teams need to prove some consistency. If they do, Maine is a dangerous team. If not, we can only wait for hockey and basketball to begin.

JMU Duke Dog
October 7th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Maine will probably be the toughest defense that JMU's offense has faced this season. Also, the forecast calls for tons of rain in Harrisonburg for the next 48 hours so that could make this game a low scoring affair.

89Hen
October 7th, 2005, 09:50 AM
the forecast calls for tons of rain in Harrisonburg for the next 48 hours so that could make this game a low scoring affair.
Fake turf pitched at a 20% incline down midfield... no problem with the field being wet in H'burg.

th0m
October 7th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Fake turf pitched at a 20% incline down midfield... no problem with the field being wet in H'burg.

A simple math calculation shows that the turf would then be 5.3 yards higher in the middle than it is at the sideline. While I agree that there is a huge crown, 20% is like walking a steep hill :P

89Hen
October 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM
A simple math calculation shows that the turf would then be 5.3 yards higher in the middle than it is at the sideline.
5.3 yards is about right. :p

FightinBluHen51
October 7th, 2005, 11:26 AM
A simple math calculation shows that the turf would then be 5.3 yards higher in the middle than it is at the sideline. While I agree that there is a huge crown, 20% is like walking a steep hill :P

:bang: :bang: :bang: Wow, some people are dense :D :nod: ;)

polsongrizz
October 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I could see the Black Bears spoiling family weekend.
I hope so... :D :nod:

JMU Duke Dog
October 7th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I hope so... :D :nod:

Are you pulling for the Maine Black Bears because of their nickname or because they are playing JMU?

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Can just see a football field that is 5.3 yds (15.9) feet higher in the middle than at the sidelines. :D :D

Standing on an 8 ft ladder you still couldn't see the top of a 6'3" lineman's head on the other sideline. Nor your own team lined up on the other hashmark. :cool:

89Hen
October 7th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Standing on an 8 ft ladder you still couldn't see the top of a 6'3" lineman's head on the other sideline. Nor your own team lined up on the other hashmark. :cool:
Again, sounds pretty accurate for JMU's field. :p

th0m
October 7th, 2005, 05:03 PM

When you have nothing better to do than to wait for a radiobroadcast of tomorrow's JMU game, I start doing useless stuff :D

jmuroller
October 8th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Again, sounds pretty accurate for JMU's field. :p

It is bad.

From what I heard, JMU was one of the last people to build a turf field where there was no porous(sp?) concrete. Thats why we had to have a crown. Then top it off we obviously hired a complete idiot to install it, because he doubled the slope it was suppose to be. I hope he didn't get paid to much.

blur2005
October 8th, 2005, 03:29 AM
I really hope they are able to lower the field and put in seats down to the field. That would be awesome. Just have to deal with that damn water table...

th0m
October 8th, 2005, 12:48 PM
7-0 JMU halfway through the first.

blur2005
October 8th, 2005, 12:55 PM
57-yard punt return for TD by L.C. Baker!

Extra point is good.

JMU 14
Maine 0

blur2005
October 8th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Maine fumble, JMU recovers. JMU took it to the house, but it turns out Maine was down by contact BEFORE the fumble...Maine punts.

blur2005
October 8th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Maurice Fenner, a huge 48-yard run down to the Maine 21.

blur2005
October 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Rascati pass to Kasim Harris down to the 14.

End of the first quarter:

JMU 14
Maine 0

JMU2004
October 8th, 2005, 01:08 PM
see the JMU-Maine game thread...conversation going on there

blur2005
October 8th, 2005, 01:11 PM
4-yard TD run by Alvin Banks

Extra point is good

JMU 21
Maine 0

mainejeff
October 8th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Where's the white flag?

TxSt02
October 8th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Where's the white flag?

sorry pal go to france and you can find one of those...

Tod
October 8th, 2005, 06:56 PM

It took you over 5 1/2 hours to come up with that gem? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

blur2005
October 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM
:bang: :bang:

th0m
October 8th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Hey Tod, I hope you don't mind me asking but is that your tattoo'd back? That is one bad ass tattoo. I mean, I would never have one on my back (and not only because I'm not a Griz fan ;)) but it's still bad ass :D

Not that this has anything to do with the topic, but the bottom line is we won, so I might as well go off topic here :P

Tod
October 8th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Hey Tod, I hope you don't mind me asking but is that your tattoo'd back? That is one bad ass tattoo. I mean, I would never have one on my back (and not only because I'm not a Griz fan ;)) but it's still bad ass :D

Not that this has anything to do with the topic, but the bottom line is we won, so I might as well go off topic here :P

Yup, that's me. I got that in Kyrgyzstan just about 15 months ago. Hurt like hell. They all do. I'm a big wuss. But I do have four tattoos. :)

th0m
October 8th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Cool. I'm an even bigger wuss though. I'd never even get a tattoo :D

Tod
October 8th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Cool. I'm an even bigger wuss though. I'd never even get a tattoo :D

Mine are all placed so that if I'm wearing a t-shirt, they can't be seen. Back, chest, upper arms.

th0m
October 9th, 2005, 02:01 PM
The JMU-Maine highlights are up on the JMU athletics website

www.jmusports.com

MadisonFootball
October 9th, 2005, 08:16 PM
It was a great game to attend, very exciting. Some more glitches to work out before next week but overall pretty good.

The best play of the game was definately the PR for TD, but AB's run which is seen on the highlight reel shows the juke and spin he brings.

He is unreal, but the running game was a bit funked up this week. Oh well it will get back on track. The 2 goal line stands were unreal also. What a game for the D, the offense looked very capable too, saw them try a lot of new stuff that looks dirty dangerous.

JMU is back on track...