PDA

View Full Version : Can TxSt Win on the Road?

TexasTerror
October 3rd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Pretenders. Contenders. Lots of discussion has been going on as we make our way through the non-conference schedules and several conferences have begun their slates. I'm interested to see what you guys think on this. I'm reading all the comments on the Southeastern/TxSt-San Marcos game and I am thinking the SLC in general thinks this is a very big game for both teams involved.

I'm hearing that Southeastern is going to pack it into Strawberry Stadium. It is homecoming and the very first SLC game (as an official SLC football participant) for the Lions. They'll be pumped especially after a very close loss to the Bobcats in San Marcos last year.

However, one thing I have not seen is comments regarding the Bobcats home record since 2001. It's not a pretty picture and I was wondering what the word is about this. I haven't seen quotes from Bailiff about it or anything else. Everyone around the nation is beginning to think this is a good team, possibly worthy of a nice I-AA playoffs run. But, are they really?

We have yet to be shown if this Bobcats team can win on the road. Granted they get SLC toughies Northwestern State, Sam Houston State and McNeese at home, but as we've all learned across the country, going on the road in the SLC is a tough task. Southeastern is dangerous. Nicholls State always causes problems and has looked like they could be tough (almost beat Indiana). And we know SFA plays it rough before the home crowd at Homer Bryce in Nacogdoches. None of those games are games you can cross off as a win.

Bobcats' Road Record
2005 0-1
2004 1-5
2003 0-6
2002 0-5
2001 1-4
2001-2005 2-21 (six games against I-A)

Thoughts?

Oh and because I know the Bobcats will bring up the Kats, we're 7-20 since 2001 (seven games against I-A), 12-21 since 2000 (eight games against I-A)

Cat79
October 3rd, 2005, 04:38 PM
TT

Post Sam Houston's SLC road record. Let's see how great you guys are in SLC road games. How many games has Sam Houston won against the Louisiana SLC teams on the road. The win against Southeastern Louisiana last year did not count. Sam Houston may have 2 wins in Louisiana.

TexasTerror
October 3rd, 2005, 04:41 PM
SLC only
TxSt-SM
2001 0-3
2002 0-3 (McNeese should be a road game, listed as home in Bobcats MG)
2003 0-2
2004 1-2 (win at McNeese)
TOTAL 1-10

SHSU
2001 2-1
2002 1-3
2003 0-3
2004 1-1
TOTAL 4-8

Cat79
October 3rd, 2005, 04:48 PM
You are only showing a few years. Compare all of the years in the SLC and we look about the same as Sam Houston's road record.

TexasTerror
October 3rd, 2005, 04:54 PM
The Bobcats have not won two in the SLC since 1995 (Nicholls and NW State) and have not won atleast two on the road in general since 2000 (includes a I-A win at ULM).

How could the Cats and Kats come even close if the Bobcats have had such a bad run in the SLC? The Kats have won more road games in SLC play since 2001 (4 wins) and by 1997 (8 wins) than the Cats have since 1997 (3 wins). Simple as that.

Cat79
October 3rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
The majority of our wins against McNeese have been in Lake Charles. We have defeated Northwestern Louisiana at their place. Has Sam Houston ever defeated Northwestern Louisiana at their place?

How many wins for Sam Houston in Louisiana? Huh?

golionsgo
October 3rd, 2005, 05:06 PM
Pretenders. Contenders. Lots of discussion has been going on as we make our way through the non-conference schedules and several conferences have begun their slates. I'm interested to see what you guys think on this. I'm reading all the comments on the Southeastern/TxSt-San Marcos game and I am thinking the SLC in general thinks this is a very big game for both teams involved.

I'm hearing that Southeastern is going to pack it into Strawberry Stadium. It is homecoming and the very first SLC game (as an official SLC football participant) for the Lions. They'll be pumped especially after a very close loss to the Bobcats in San Marcos last year.

However, one thing I have not seen is comments regarding the Bobcats home record since 2001. It's not a pretty picture and I was wondering what the word is about this. I haven't seen quotes from Bailiff about it or anything else. Everyone around the nation is beginning to think this is a good team, possibly worthy of a nice I-AA playoffs run. But, are they really?

We have yet to be shown if this Bobcats team can win on the road. Granted they get SLC toughies Northwestern State, Sam Houston State and McNeese at home, but as we've all learned across the country, going on the road in the SLC is a tough task. Southeastern is dangerous. Nicholls State always causes problems and has looked like they could be tough (almost beat Indiana). And we know SFA plays it rough before the home crowd at Homer Bryce in Nacogdoches. None of those games are games you can cross off as a win.

Bobcats' Road Record
2005 0-1
2004 1-5
2003 0-6
2002 0-5
2001 1-4
2001-2005 2-21 (six games against I-A)

Thoughts?

Oh and because I know the Bobcats will bring up the Kats, we're 7-20 since 2001 (seven games against I-A), 12-21 since 2000 (eight games against I-A)

A couple of points. First, our homecoming has been moved to the end of the year as a result of Hurricane Katrina. We're still a staging area for emergency personnel from around the country and now isn't the time for homecoming festivities.

Secondly, it's tough for most teams to win on the road, not just Texas State. The teams that do win on the road consistently usually win championships and play deep into the playoffs. Unless you're the New Orleans Saints of course! :bang: :)

TexasTerror
October 3rd, 2005, 05:10 PM
The majority of our wins against McNeese have been in Lake Charles. We have defeated Northwestern Louisiana at their place. Has Sam Houston ever defeated Northwestern Louisiana at their place? How many wins for Sam Houston in Louisiana? Huh?

Our media guide is a bit messed up..

2004 NWST L
2003 McN L, NICH L
2002 NW ST L
2001 NICH W, MCN L, ULM W
2000 NW ST W, ULL W

SHSU 4-5 in Louisiana since 2000

On that note, last NW St win in Huntsville, 1997

TxSt02
October 3rd, 2005, 07:44 PM
Plain and Simple:
If we win this Saturday by a decent margin we will win the SLC.

I say this because we will be for real if we can win on the road...

beerkat
October 3rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
winning your first conference game against what might be the weakest team in the conference proves absolutely nothing

having said that, I think right now ut-san marcos is the frontrunner to win the SLC, but its far from a lock

GeauxLions94
October 3rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
winning your first conference game against what might be the weakest team in the conference proves absolutely nothing

having said that, I think right now ut-san marcos is the frontrunner to win the SLC, but its far from a lock

:asswhip::asswhip::asswhip:

??? While I agree on your post "it's far from a lock," I wouldn't consider us to be the weakest team in the conference. Thanks for your concern. ;)

txstatebobcat
October 3rd, 2005, 08:14 PM

Truth be told I think that SLU has shown me more than Northwestern St, Sam Houston and McNeese State. So at this point in time I would rank them ahead of all those teams. I say this because I would have serious doubts that ULM, ULL, Houston and Georgia Southern would even win the SLC if they were members. No offense to GSU fans on being included with that group.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 3rd, 2005, 08:17 PM
ut-san marcos is the frontrunner to win the SLC, but its far from a lock

wow...that's mature. :rolleyes: most of you SAM guys...nevermind :deadhorse

I personally think Texas State has not only the confidence (see A&M game ON THE ROAD) but that talent to do well on the road. But, these guys have a target on their backs, so they know what's up.

FYI, SELA is NOT the weakest team in the SLC. If they are, we should be the toughest conference in I-AA. I don't think we have a "weak" team this year, and if we do, it would probably be SFA.

TexasTerror
October 3rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
Truth be told NW St, Sam and McNeese have played I-A teams left and right or some of the top I-AA competition (GA Southern and North Dakota St).

Sam fans don't know anything about our team yet nor should you or anyone in the SLC. We just haven't played anyone worth comparing us to. We'll know more after NW State. Same goes for NW State. Don't know much about them. McNeese, we'll learn more when SLC play begins...

The Bobcats have played A&M which has proven to be crummy this year (one of the worst defenses in the nation), a Div II team, an awful Southern Utah team and one respectable win against South Dakota St. We know more about your team thus far and we'll learn even more this weekend.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
Truth be told NW St, Sam and McNeese have played I-A teams left and right or some of the top I-AA competition (GA Southern and North Dakota St).

Sam fans don't know anything about our team yet nor should you or anyone in the SLC. We just haven't played anyone worth comparing us to. We'll know more after NW State. Same goes for NW State. Don't know much about them. McNeese, we'll learn more when SLC play begins...

The Bobcats have played A&M which has proven to be crummy this year (one of the worst defenses in the nation), a Div II team, an awful Southern Utah team and one respectable win against South Dakota St. We know more about your team thus far and we'll learn even more this weekend.

WTF? Dude, I seriously think it would KILL you to give Texas State a little love? You're always looking for excuses to down Texas State. NEWSFLASH!! A DIVISION I-AA TEAM HAS SCORED THE MOST POINTS AGAINST A&M THIS YEAR AND HAS HAD THE MOST TOTAL YARDAGE! If A&M's defense is bad, what does that make your defense--a defense who yielded EIGHTY points?! You're talking like you're a closet A&M fan. The game wasn't close because A&M sucks--Texas State has proven that they are THAT good this year. Just ask the SDSU fans that were at the game. Get off your "I hate everything about Texas State" high horse and talk with at least a small amount of objectivity. I think most of the posters on here don't even take your comments about Texas State seriously b/c they're full of so much personal hate and little about the actual games. I know I've lost some respect for your opinions...but anyways... :deadhorse

BACK TO THE TOPIC...

blackfordpu
October 3rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
WTF? Dude, I seriously think it would KILL you to give Texas State a little love? You're always looking for excuses to down Texas State. NEWSFLASH!! A DIVISION I-AA TEAM HAS SCORED THE MOST POINTS AGAINST A&M THIS YEAR AND HAS HAD THE MOST TOTAL YARDAGE! If A&M's defense is bad, what does that make your defense--a defense who yielded EIGHTY points?! You're talking like you're a closet A&M fan. The game wasn't close because A&M sucks--Texas State has proven that they are THAT good this year. Just ask the SDSU fans that were at the game. Get off your "I hate everything about Texas State" high horse and talk with at least a small amount of objectivity. I think most of the posters on here don't even take your comments about Texas State seriously b/c they're full of so much personal hate and little about the actual games. I know I've lost some respect for your opinions...but anyways... :deadhorse

BACK TO THE TOPIC...

Yes, to the TOP offense in college football. They would have done that to you and any other I-AA team as well. Especailly if you took a cheap shot at one of their players. ;) :(

TexasTerror
October 3rd, 2005, 08:42 PM
I never said anything about your Bobcats outside of saying A&M has had one of the worst defenses this year in the nation. Ask anyone in the nation? Being ranked over 100 in anything means your in the tanks.

I've posted high praise for your Bobcats on this board this year saying that South Dakota St game showed me something about your team for the first time this year. I've also said that you guys are going to have to get over your road woes in order for you to go from pretender to contender...

Mainly, I was criticizing you for your comments about knowing what Sam has this year considering we've played two I-As and an NAIA. If you know something the Bearkat faithful don't, please let us know. Until then, continue riding your hide horse. This weekend will be your true statement game. Outside of the South Dakota St game, which I was impressed with, I can't measure the Bobcats. Southeastern is a measuring stick. If you guys can beat them and beat them thoroughly, you will have the inside track to the SLC title. A loss and your one loss away from having an 8-3 season, sit at home this playoff year, season...

TxSt02
October 3rd, 2005, 09:46 PM
Yes, to the TOP offense in college football. They would have done that to you and any other I-AA team as well. Especailly if you took a cheap shot at one of their players. ;) :(

They didnt do it to Indiana State... Does this make them better than you? I dont think so... your point is invalid!

bobcatfan06
October 3rd, 2005, 11:32 PM
Yep, Indiana St. held them to 50 or 60 right?? 80?? Nope, that is all Sam's glory. Anyways, back to the topic. Why don't we just play the damn game and find out if we can win???

Sound like a plan??? Stop talking about SLC titles and what not. We won't win **** if we have one bad game. One freakin' game at a time, people, one game. :cool: :bang:

McNeese75
October 4th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Plain and Simple:
If we win this Saturday by a decent margin we will win the SLC.

I say this because we will be for real if we can win on the road...

:D Keep smackin Baby, I have heard this swan song before!!

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Yep, Indiana St. held them to 50 or 60 right?? 80?? Nope, that is all Sam's glory.

Lame...

Tech has said it themselves. Only reason they kept throwing the pill and took their time removing starters was because of the smack talk of some of our Bearkats before the game and due to hit on the fair catch where one of our gunners completely nailed the crap out of a Red Raider...

Indiana St game. Tech pulled off the dogs earlier, as in a quarter earlier than they did against the Kats...

blackfordpu
October 4th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Lame...

Tech has said it themselves. Only reason they kept throwing the pill and took their time removing starters was because of the smack talk of some of our Bearkats before the game and due to hit on the fair catch where one of our gunners completely nailed the crap out of a Red Raider...

Indiana St game. Tech pulled off the dogs earlier, as in a quarter earlier than they did against the Kats...

And they actually RAN the ball instead of throwing "short passes."

bobcatfan06
October 4th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Lame...

Were your players having a case of 'roid rage when they were talking all that smack to Tech??? :rolleyes: I wish they would have hung 100 on you if that was the case.