PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina Travels?

EagleCrusade
October 3rd, 2005, 03:33 PM
rumor has it from the Cullowhee ticket office that a total of 0 tickets have been purchased for the game in Statesboro saturday. nice to see fans travel.

catamount man
October 3rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
That's a lie, because I know people who have tickets and are making the trip to Statesboro this week. As for me, I'll be catching it on the tube. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

DotCat
October 3rd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Wish I had the cash to buy all of the tickets, then burn them because...

A) The Catamounts have no offense.

and

B) Statesboro sucks...believe me, I've been there.

GSUBass
October 3rd, 2005, 06:40 PM
that's funny...i've been there too. I think your reason for it sucking is cause WCU can't seem to win there....:eek:

But either way, I'm sorry to see you have such a negative take on the place.

DotCat
October 3rd, 2005, 08:34 PM
that's funny...i've been there too. I think your reason for it sucking is cause WCU can't seem to win there....:eek:

But either way, I'm sorry to see you have such a negative take on the place.

Well, as a fellow bass drummer, I'll give you my reasons. Been to Statesboro on two occasions, once for football as a member of the media, and once to basketball just as a fan.

I just didn't appreciate the way I was treated as a member of the media by the staff at GSU, especially the SID at the time. Tom was his name aka Hair Lip. What a press box Nazi he was. As for my basketball experience, that place smells of chlorine from your indoor pool. It was real bad.

Now you know.

EagleCrusade
October 3rd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Well, as a fellow bass drummer, I'll give you my reasons. Been to Statesboro on two occasions, once for football as a member of the media, and once to basketball just as a fan.

I just didn't appreciate the way I was treated as a member of the media by the staff at GSU, especially the SID at the time. Tom was his name aka Hair Lip. What a press box Nazi he was. As for my basketball experience, that place smells of chlorine from your indoor pool. It was real bad.

Now you know.

1. Tom was a great SID. Knew his stuff and treated people how they deserved to be treated. If they weren't showing proper professionalism he would let them have it. The press box was his responsibility and his domain. He did run a tight ship but all you had to do was abide by his rules. At Georgia Southern football is a big thing. Student media he had no time for most of the time because they show little professionalism. He didn't caudle anybody. I assume you were student media and maybe just didnt come across real well. I've been yelled at by him in the press box several times during his tenure. I just didnt follow the professional guidelines. As for his birth defect, way to make fun of that you're real great individual.

2. Basketball, oh no the one day you came down you smelled our pool. Dude its old, its real old and its outdated. We're working on it. Statesboro sucks because our pool smelled bad one day.

3. The tickets may have been complimentary. The source that I have in regards to the # of tickets sold is quite reliable. I thought there have been some sold, but I was told otherwise. Maybe 0 is closer to 5. I'm just passing on what I have heard.

Kill'em
October 3rd, 2005, 10:24 PM
Statesboro sucks...believe me, I've been there.
You cross the line when you talk bad about the 'Boro :mad:

Eaglegus2
October 3rd, 2005, 10:30 PM
I have been to Western Carolins's campus and really think it looks great.

To bad your band has more going for them than the football team.

Hang in there, this may be your year. The game in Statesboro will tell you how good or bad your team really is.

It goes for us as well.

DotCat
October 4th, 2005, 12:08 AM
1. Tom was a great SID. Knew his stuff and treated people how they deserved to be treated. If they weren't showing proper professionalism he would let them have it. The press box was his responsibility and his domain. He did run a tight ship but all you had to do was abide by his rules. At Georgia Southern football is a big thing. Student media he had no time for most of the time because they show little professionalism. He didn't caudle anybody. I assume you were student media and maybe just didnt come across real well.

Actually I wasn't student media so you assume wrong. He might have been a great SID, but he diffently wasn't a people person. He didn't show myself, or the company I worked for any respect whatsoever. As for the pressbox, who gives the TV announcers booth to the coaches wives and puts the announcers on the rooftop, who stands in the pressbox with binoculars looking for sideline media pass violators, I would go on but it's not even worth it. I didn't enjoy my time in Statesboro, win or lose.

As for the ticket sales at WCU, I have no idea about this weekend.

DotCat
October 4th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I have been to Western Carolins's campus and really think it looks great.

Thanks for the compliment. Too bad I've had a bad experience in Statesboro. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future.

SuperEagle
October 4th, 2005, 07:20 AM
so basically one guy treated you poorly and then you smelled chlorine at a hoops game so therefore the entire city sucks. nice logic there. :confused:

EagleCrusade
October 4th, 2005, 07:52 AM
That's a lie, because I know people who have tickets and are making the trip to Statesboro this week. As for me, I'll be catching it on the tube. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

25?

BigCatFan
October 4th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Unfortunately, there are quite a few of the WCU faithful who have had some bad experiences when traveling to Statesboro. When you add in the fact that we typically get spanked down there pretty good every other year, it's not hard to see why the interest in making that trip is pretty low.

Had we taken care of business this past Saturday by beating the Citadel, I'm positive you would have seen many WCU fans in your stadium on the 8th. However, we didn't, and I think quite a few see this WCU team as pretty much "business as usual".

Hope I'm wrong, and I hope the Cat's play well. And should a season roll around where I feel strongly that there is a legitimate shot for the Cat's to win a ballgame in Statesboro, I'll probably be there. My wife won't be, but she might sign my permission slip.

Otherwise, Western fans typically travel very, very well.

blueballs
October 4th, 2005, 11:14 AM
WCU played a very competitive and exciting game in the 'Boro in 2003.

Kill'em
October 4th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I hope lots of Western fans make the trip. With the defense you have it could be a really good game. Add to it being a must-win for both teams so it would be worth seeing.

BigCatFan
October 4th, 2005, 12:56 PM
WCU played a very competitive and exciting game in the 'Boro in 2003.

They did indeed. Problem was that in '99 and '01, we got our butts handed to us in a fashion that most of us would love to forget, to put it in printable terms.

The '03 team was not nearly as talented or quick on defense as this years squad, yet had more weapons on the offensive side of the ball, with a QB that could throw darts from the pocket, and recievers that had speed and could get open. We're lacking that right now.

BigCatFan
October 4th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I hope lots of Western fans make the trip. With the defense you have it could be a really good game. Add to it being a must-win for both teams so it would be worth seeing.

I hope our defense can do us proud and slow down that abomidable wishbone/wingbone/option attack that you guys run to perfection. I think they can, but not if they are on the field a majority of the time. We have to win the time of possession, and turnover battles, and then we'll have a shot at the game. I'm just not sure our offense can sustain the drives, and put up the points necessary, to do that.

DemiGS
October 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I think this year WCU has a better then average shot at GSU. I'm somewhat excited to see Southern play better then highschool ball the last two games, but I think we are still shaky. We know about WCU's D, but gezz... I hope we can tackle a little betterr this time around.

DotCat
October 4th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Hey BCF, glad to see you sneaking over here on AGS. I think you will enjoy it.

Kill'em
October 4th, 2005, 03:17 PM
The key to our winning this game is, as always, limiting turnovers and being able to run the fullback effectively. Even though I've heard about Western's offense not being very productive, we still need to avoid the big play.

Eagle_77
October 4th, 2005, 04:01 PM
They did indeed. Problem was that in '99 and '01, we got our butts handed to us in a fashion that most of us would love to forget, to put it in printable terms.

The '03 team was not nearly as talented or quick on defense as this years squad, yet had more weapons on the offensive side of the ball, with a QB that could throw darts from the pocket, and recievers that had speed and could get open. We're lacking that right now.

In 99 and 01 most teams GSU played had their butts handed to them so you were not alone.

WCU LawCat
October 4th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Welcome BCF. I have decided to make the trip to Statesboro. Hope its better than my first (03). This is the week (well every week from here on out) that makes or breaks the WCU season. If we win out we can get a playoff bid with a SoCOn title. If we lose one more time we are done.

catamount man
October 4th, 2005, 06:51 PM
BCF in da house!!! Glad to see ya here, but you know me as "Pickens". GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Kill'em
October 5th, 2005, 06:43 AM
If we lose one more time we are done.
The same for us too.

AUCATAMOUNT
October 5th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I think the problem with WCUers traveling has less to do with Statesboro and GSU and more with Western's "offense" and the game last saturday... A lot of people were in Cullowhee and witnessed "The Greatest Slow on Turf" in action...bad taste wasn't from the hotdogs. I've never been to Sboro so I won't judge, but I've heard not good things..but you hear about that everywhere

Kill'em
October 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I've never been to Sboro so I won't judge, but I've heard not good things..but you hear about that everywhere
I hope that is because those people you've talked to just has their tails kicked by GSU and not a reflection of the campus or the city, itself.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 03:24 PM
rumor has it from the Cullowhee ticket office that a total of 0 tickets have been purchased for the game in Statesboro saturday. nice to see fans travel.

If you talk to Furman, you might find that you need to worry about WCU's team and not the fans.
They are capable of pulling another upset (if that is what is was), especially if they find their offense by Saturday.

BigCatFan
October 5th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I hope that is because those people you've talked to just has their tails kicked by GSU and not a reflection of the campus or the city, itself.

I've never thought anything bad about the city, nor the campus. In fact, I was very impressed with all.

We (my wife and I, and others traveling with us) simply ran into some trouble with some of the fans. Probably just a bad experience with only a few, but it seemed more significant, and more personal, than what we've experienced other places.

During that 89 catastophe, we ultimately had to leave at the half, because SOME of the fans we walked by on our way into the stadium, and most of the fans sitting above us inside the stadium had just gotten downright belligerant. And it wasn't in that competitive, or funny, or joking manner.

I came back in 91, but didn't fare much better. I'd like to come back at some point, but I'd prefer to hook up with some top-notch Eagle fans who would really show us some Georgia Southern hospitality.

Eagles_Cliff
October 5th, 2005, 04:32 PM
We (my wife and I, and others traveling with us) simply ran into some trouble with some of the fans. Probably just a bad experience with only a few, but it seemed more significant, and more personal, than what we've experienced other places.

Day games are much better in the 'Boro because some of our fans who can't control alcohol consumption on their own are limited by the early start. My season tickets are on the "Whose House?"/student side of Paulson and I won't go back to the "OUR HOUSE"/home side because I love the "stand up and holler" atmosphere. BUT...a few of our students get out of hand with their treatment of our guests.

I travel to most of our away games and have never really been treated badly. App. St and Furman aren't exactly hospitable, but that's because we messed up their domination of the SoCon when we joined. I especially hate the "FU" cheer in Greenville and almost got physical with a Vermin fan last year.

The best way to travel with your team to play GSU is to stay in Savannah and enjoy that beautiful city because Statesboro ( I live here and Love it) can be boring for most people. On game day, arrive early and walk down tailgate rows toward the back of the stadium lot where you'll find good food, a drink or two, and welcoming Eagle Fans.

catamount man
October 5th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I've made arrangements today and I will indeed be at the game Saturday. Looking forward to Statesboro. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

OL FU
October 5th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I can honestly say that there are very few opponent's fields that I have not had at least one bad experience. While I think FU tends toward the tame, I am sure that other schools can say the same thing about us. I had a bad experience at WCU 20 years ago. Have I been back. Absolutely.

I am going to Paulson this year. Will somebody say something that isn't called for? Probably.So what?

OL FU
October 5th, 2005, 08:57 PM
PS. most GSU fans love to talk crap, but the ones that know what they are talking about are generally respectful of a good football program. Even if they totally dislike that football program.

BigCatFan
October 6th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Day games are much better in the 'Boro because some of our fans who can't control alcohol consumption on their own are limited by the early start. My season tickets are on the "Whose House?"/student side of Paulson and I won't go back to the "OUR HOUSE"/home side because I love the "stand up and holler" atmosphere. BUT...a few of our students get out of hand with their treatment of our guests.

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of instances where some of our WCU fans get out of hand, particularly the students who seem to drink around the clock. And I absolutely hate that, even thought a hundred years ago, I used to one of 'em.

I enjoy the good natured ribbing, a few pokes and jabs. But if it starts to get personal, and begins to cross that line, I typically just go on about my business and ingnore it. You run into that everywhere, I suppose, on one occasion or another.

Kill'em
October 6th, 2005, 04:17 PM
I've never thought anything bad about the city, nor the campus. In fact, I was very impressed with all.

During that 89 catastophe, we ultimately had to leave at the half, because SOME of the fans we walked by on our way into the stadium, and most of the fans sitting above us inside the stadium had just gotten downright belligerant. And it wasn't in that competitive, or funny, or joking manner.

I came back in 91, but didn't fare much better. I'd like to come back at some point, but I'd prefer to hook up with some top-notch Eagle fans who would really show us some Georgia Southern hospitality.
If you come this weekend you will probably be sitting in Section J. We are at the top row of Section K, just to the right of the handrail. If you get the opportunity, come on by and say "hi." We are very tough on visiting players and fans, but it's all in good fun. We actually love talking with the visitors. This is for all WCU fans making the trip. All you have to do is go to the top of Section K and ask for Kill'em. They'll know what you mean. (Sorry for the John Boy and Billy quote).

eaglesrthe1
October 6th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I can honestly say that there are very few opponent's fields that I have not had at least one bad experience. While I think FU tends toward the tame, I am sure that other schools can say the same thing about us. I had a bad experience at WCU 20 years ago. Have I been back. Absolutely.

I am going to Paulson this year. Will somebody say something that isn't called for? Probably.So what?

If you have bad experiences that often, then it can only be one of two things. Your tolerence level as to what constitutes a bad experience is either extremely low, or you are the type of person that attracts a bad experience..i.e...loudmouth, troublemaker, instigator...etc.

ChiefGSU275
October 7th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Probably the best place to meet and greet with hospitable GSU fans is at the Red Flag Gang tailgate. You can find out more information at our messageboard www.tscsports.com . Those guys always love the "other" fans coming around.

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 08:28 PM
If you have bad experiences that often, then it can only be one of two things. Your tolerence level as to what constitutes a bad experience is either extremely low, or you are the type of person that attracts a bad experience..i.e...loudmouth, troublemaker, instigator...etc.

I think you have msread my post or don't understand the number of times I have been to the opponents stadiums. I have had a "bad" experience most places. But bad doesn't mean anything more than I shake my head and move on. The vast majority of the people pull for there team in the appropriate manner. I was actually defending GSU although that might not have been clear. Generally I would say most SoCon Experiences have been in total very positive.

And then again there is Marshall :mad:

OL FU
October 9th, 2005, 02:14 PM
:) :) :)

I do know of some good people from West Virginia, however, they now reside in Ohio.