PDA

View Full Version : Around The Horn, Patriot League Spring Practice

Lehigh Football Nation
April 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM
A clear summary of the goings-on in the Patriot League this spring.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/

Fordham looks very, very tough.

Go...gate
April 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I think Fordham must be considered the odds-on favorite, while Colgate will be very tough on offense if Scott is, indeed, past his troubles.

colorless raider
April 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I think Holy Cross will be right up there as well. Perhaps the most balanced league race in years.

DFW HOYA
April 9th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Perhaps the most balanced league race in years.

If this was a five team league, maybe.

Fordham
April 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I would hope we're the favorites going in given that we won it last year, recruited as well as anyone (particularly for need) and return as much, if not more than anyone else.

Now, that said, being the hunted is far different than the carefree, catch-'em-sleeping world we played in last year and it's often the kiss of death to be picked as pre-season favorites; but I still think we've earned it, even if we don't necessarily want it.

DFW - c'mon man! The off season is a time for glass-1/2-full optimism ... particularly with the recruiting class you guys brought in.

colorless raider
April 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I agree DFW. Your connections with the car dealers has yeilded quality kids from your area.(Only kidding!!) Seriously it looks like a good class for you, not that a total turn can be enginneered in one year, but it does look like quality. I know of three players on your list the Raiders wanted.

LBPop
April 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM
DFW - c'mon man! The off season is a time for glass-1/2-full optimism ... particularly with the recruiting class you guys brought in.

While no longer a football Dad, I do understand DFW's sentiment. Being a Georgetown football fan is very much like being Charlie Brown with Lucy holding the ball. The Hoyas will be young again this year, but on Offense this time. My sense is that 2009 will be a break out year for them (or they won't have one for a while). And they will always be dangerous when Charlie Houghton has the ball. If you have the chance to see him play, do it. Believe me when I tell you that in four years of watching Patriot League football, I have not seen a better RB. He may finally get some help from this year's OL recruits. That's a large part of the reason for my 2009 prediction.

Go...gate
April 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM
While no longer a football Dad, I do understand DFW's sentiment. Being a Georgetown football fan is very much like being Charlie Brown with Lucy holding the ball. The Hoyas will be young again this year, but on Offense this time. My sense is that 2009 will be a break out year for them (or they won't have one for a while). And they will always be dangerous when Charlie Houghton has the ball. If you have the chance to see him play, do it. Believe me when I tell you that in four years of watching Patriot League football, I have not seen a better RB. He may finally get some help from this year's OL recruits. That's a large part of the reason for my 2009 prediction.

One of these years, I really believe Georgetown is going to emerge. You have to keep working at it.

ngineer
April 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
One of these years, I really believe Georgetown is going to emerge. You have to keep working at it.

Is that like digitally coming together into one?? ;)

DFW HOYA
April 10th, 2008, 07:26 PM

My comment was not about Georgetown (though there'll be plenty of time for that this off-season) only that the PL's perceived balance has left Georgetown and (increasingly) Bucknell out of the picture.

Pard94
April 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Put me in the camp of those who have said early and often, Georgetown will be a force to be reckoned with in the not too distant future.

Franks Tanks
April 11th, 2008, 08:14 AM

As you say the OL really seems to be key for G-town. For whatever reason it appears your O-line has been lagging behind the rest of the league more so that the other units on your team. If you can finally get a O-line that is up to Patriot League standards it seems safe to say the win total will increase dramatically.

LBPop
April 11th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Put me in the camp of those who have said early and often, Georgetown will be a force to be reckoned with in the not too distant future.

I am reminded of the guy walking the streets with a sign proclaiming:

The End Of The World is Coming

We all know he's right, but the question is When?

;) :D

Go...gate
April 11th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I am reminded of the guy walking the streets with a sign proclaiming:

The End Of The World is Coming

We all know he's right, but the question is When?

;) :D

I know I have said this before, but it took Fordham more than 10 years (at least 1989-2000) before they became fully competitive after they joined the PL. When they finally became competitive (2001), they were like a ton of bricks on the rest of the league.