PDA

View Full Version : War Cannon Buried Under Dartmouth Football Stadium

Lehigh Football Nation
April 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=war-cannon-buried-under-dartmouth-footba&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

HANOVER, N.H. – In his 17 years on the police force here, Hanover Police Officer Rick Paulsen has never worked a case like this.

Paulen’s quietly pursued a story he initially dismissed as “folklore” that came to light while he was working a Dartmouth College home football game last fall.

A spectator approached, a man from Norwich, Vt. who he has known for years.

“He mentioned there’s a cannon buried under Memorial Stadium,” Paulsen recalled, laughing. “I said, yeah right. What cannon?”

xlolx

brownbear
April 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Cool story, thanks!

I now want to go dig below Brown's stadium to see what I can find.

Franks Tanks
April 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=war-cannon-buried-under-dartmouth-footba&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

xlolx

It was halfway exposed out of the ground under the bleachers, how did they not notice this all those years!!!

Ivytalk
April 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Cool story, thanks!

I now want to go dig below Brown's stadium to see what I can find.

Jimmy Hoffa?xcoolx

Grizzaholic
April 8th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Jimmy Hoffa?xcoolx

He is stuffed inside the cannon. Don't ask how I know that.xwhistlex

Old Cage
April 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM
April 8th and they can't dig because there is still A LOT of snow on the ground in the north country.

I wonder if Appy or GSU has this problem? xlolx

08Dawg
April 8th, 2008, 07:22 PM
At least you didn't have a bunch of dead Confederate sailors buried under your stadium! We used to call Johnson Hagood the Boneyard...until we found out it really was one! o_O

brownbear
April 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Jimmy Hoffa?xcoolx

No, that's Giants Stadium.

KiddBrewer
April 8th, 2008, 10:28 PM
No, that's Giants Stadium.

Mythbusters already busted that one

Grizzaholic
April 8th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hoffa was made into hot dogs.

citdog
April 8th, 2008, 11:58 PM
At least you didn't have a bunch of dead Confederate sailors buried under your stadium! We used to call Johnson Hagood the Boneyard...until we found out it really was one! o_O

those boys, including the second crew of the C.S.S. Hunley were buried at Magnolia Cemetary with full military honors.

www.hunley.org

carney2
April 9th, 2008, 09:20 AM
There are hundreds - nay, thousands - of ChickenSquawks buried under Lafayette's Fisher Stadium. Many more interments planned for 11/22/2008.

EmeryZach
April 9th, 2008, 10:06 AM
We buried a keg under in the ground on my high school football field after we won the state championship. Not as cool as a cannon

Monarch History
April 9th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Great story! Just think of all the great stories and jokes that can be told by Dartmouth fans for years to come. Like was said in a previous post, if part of it was above ground how could it not be seen for all these years.xeekx

MaximumBobcat
April 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Very, very cool story.

bonarae
April 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Great story. Wonder if this secret was stayed in the graduate's mind for too long.

08Dawg
April 9th, 2008, 10:04 PM
those boys, including the second crew of the C.S.S. Hunley were buried at Magnolia Cemetary with full military honors.

www.hunley.org

I know, I was there. I was part of the ceremony that honored them as they were laid to rest. Can't remember which crew it was, though.

UCAMonkey
April 10th, 2008, 05:02 AM
We buried Texas St. under our field last year!

LBPop
April 10th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I supect that Blutarsky buried it...and a bunch of other stuff. After all, Dartmouth was the school on which Animal House was based.

SoCon48
April 10th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Hoffa was made into hot dogs.

I heard dog food from a rendering plant.

SoCon48
April 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM

xlolx

Perhaps the reason the team just "blows up" every now and then.xeyebrowx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=the-case-of-the-missing-cannon&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

More info on the mystery of the cannon:

In this compendium of reports from The Rutland Herald, The Dartmouth, The Bennington Banner, and The Boston Globe, the mystery of the cannon below Dartmouth’s Alumni Field is probed at length.

BENNINGTON — A World War I cannon missing from in front of the Vermont Veterans Home for at least 40 years has been found under the football field at Memorial Stadium at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire, where it was hidden by a college student in the 1960s.

Or maybe not.

It’s a story that has many dramatic elements — a confession from a dead man, a buried treasure, a stolen weapon, a mysterious theft — but in this case, the mystery may outweigh the drama.

Seawolf97
April 10th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Read this story twice. -loved every word of itxthumbsupx